This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hives before the First Siege of Atlantis

If there were 21 hiveships in the same quadrant of pegasus as atlantis and upwards of perhaps 60, how many hiveships were there in the beginning of the Ancient/Wraith 100 years war?

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

I'm almost positive that in one episode they say that there we thousands... but I can't remember who said it or what episode.
    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

There must have been atleast thousands of hive ships. No way the Ancients would have lost to anything less.

Comment

AGreed.
        www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

agreed

Comment

Actually I've been thinking...do we know that it was the Wraith that defeated the Ancients? I mean the Wraith certainly claim they did but was it ever said that they defeated the Ancients?

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar
              Actually I've been thinking...do we know that it was the Wraith that defeated the Ancients? I mean the Wraith certainly claim they did but was it ever said that they defeated the Ancients?
              It is them. In the episode 'Before I Sleep' when Weir and the gang go back in time, the Ancients are evacuating Atlantis, and the Wraith are attacking their city. Honestly, I don't think that there is much doubt it was the Wraith who beat the Ancients.
              An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

Originally posted by Chutzpah
                It is them. In the episode 'Before I Sleep' when Weir and the gang go back in time, the Ancients are evacuating Atlantis, and the Wraith are attacking their city. Honestly, I don't think that there is much doubt it was the Wraith who beat the Ancients.
                Oh ya forgot about that episode.

Comment

There must have been atleast thousands of hive ships. No way the Ancients would have lost to anything less.
                  Severely agree

Comment

I disagree. The Ancients could win one on one, but if they're outnumbered 1:10 or even 1:5 they can't win especially if you haven't fought a war for a long time (Like the Ancients).

Compare it to the US fighting against the entire world or the USA vs Vietcong/Iraqi resistance.
                    Last edited by Gregorius; 04 June 2006, 12:45 AM.
                    Signed,

Gregorius
                    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius
                      I disagree. The Ancients could win one on one, but if they're outnumbered 1:10 or even 1:5 they can't win especially if you haven't fought a war for a long time (Like the Ancients).

Compare it to the US fighting against the entire world or the USA vs Vietcong/Iraqi resistance.
                      Well it depends on how many ships the Ancients have. I agree that 10 hive ships can probably take out an Ancient war ship. But one doesn't just send a single ship into combat. Having fleet of advanced warships significantly improves the odds. For example just because one Ancient ship can be destroyed by 10 Wraith ships does not mean 6 Ancient ships can be destroyed by 60 Wraith ships. Larger number of Ancient ships would significantly improve their chance. So a fleet, say 20 Ancient ships, can probably take on many hundreds of Wraith ships. Especially if they are all equipped with drone weapons or weapons like the one on the defense satellite. I mean one shot from the weapon on the defense satellite can probably take out multiple Wraith hive ships in a single blow. Now imagine 20 ships firing that into a swarm of hive ships. The Hive ships would be decimated. It would take very large numbers to be able to withstand that much firepower long enough to penetrate Ancient shields.

Also losses in Iraq are do to ground warfare. It's very different. Space combat is based, for a large part, on technology. The best way to compare it to modern terms I guess would be the Navy or the Air Force. Iraq cannot possibly hope to go up against the USAF or Navy.

Comment

Blah
                        Read my last lines, LACK OF COMBAT EXPERIENCE, they kept believing they could still reach a peaceful solution and send their fleet with negotiators to the Wraith where they were ambushed and destroyed. Besides that they were overconfident and arrogant.

Also losses in Iraq are do to ground warfare. It's very different. Space combat is based, for a large part, on technology.
                        Why can't tanks be compared to battleships and fighters to infantery? They do exactly the same only have one more spacial dimention to fight in.
                        Signed,

Gregorius
                        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

and why does people continue to say that there's 60 hive ships, when what was said is that MAYBE there's 60 hive ships, perhaps more.

Comment

as i said in another thread michael said there were not enough food at the rise of the wraith 10,000 years ago. meaning the thousands of planets the ancients seeded life to having all of them advance (probably farther than tollan tech) would have millions- billions of people each. if thats not enough food to feed the wraith there must have been millions of hives. (probably severely diminished by ancients and the combined stregnth of all the other PG plannets who advanced a great deal)

last count may be slightly exhadurated, hundreds of theousands - a million.
                            Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

I think the TPTB might have shot themselves in the foot by saying the 60 hiveship thing as everyone is taking that as written down law. There should be a lot more considering the capabilities of the Ancients and how the Wraith have been made weaker recently.

Anyway people are also forgetting that the Lanteans were not prepared for a war in the Pegasus galaxy. I mean do we know those ships like Aurora were constructed in Pegasus or brought there? if brought that might mean they lacked construction facilities to make more and just had those that they brought with them. If they built it in Pegasus then it might mean that they are damn difficult to build and the Lanteans with their limited population could not hope to build a fleet that could out number the Wraith who were far more numerous.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Working...
                              X