This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tablet

I'm begining to be very disappointed with Atlantis. The Tablet that Daniel found in teh treasure room on Abydos said that the "Lost City" contained a large cache weapons and technology. The poor schmuck that carved that tablet was obviously terribly misinformed.

It did... as far as technology, it contained an entire flying city of the Ancients. Whats more technological than that?

As far as weapons...the tablet was probably carved thousands of years ago when there may HAVE been a huge store of weapons at Atlantis. Things DO change over time.
    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Yeah, funny that things can change over such long periods of time.
      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

i agree. hopefully the sangral (ascended being pwnr) is in the city mentioned in the tablet
        A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin's_Legacy
          I'm begining to be very disappointed with Atlantis. The Tablet that Daniel found in teh treasure room on Abydos said that the "Lost City" contained a large cache weapons and technology. The poor schmuck that carved that tablet was obviously terribly misinformed.
          Maybe when the tablet was written the war with the Wraith did not even began, so in that time they had the city completely armed.
          The Stargate universe, a lovely place

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR
            It did... as far as technology, it contained an entire flying city of the Ancients. Whats more technological than that?
            As far as weapons...the tablet was probably carved thousands of years ago when there may HAVE been a huge store of weapons at Atlantis. Things DO change over time.
            But that's not the only possibility. Remember that less than 1/3rd of the city has been searched, although there are regular expeditions around Atlantis. It is the size of Manhattan, and I live in Manhattan--it will take years to tour fully all of Manhattan.

Taking into account that they only have a few people with them, and then a good majority of the teams, are keeping up with off world contacts and maintaing alliances; added to the fact that they're also spending time analyzing the Ancient database, which seems like it will take forever, and also random obstacles like a coups, attacks by the wraith, loss of your military leader---and head scientist, alliances with possible enemies, and random other enemies deciding to take you hostage. Let's just say it does keep away from being knowledgeable about all aspects of Atlantis.

So there is still a chance that they'll happen on a large store of weapon reserves and other secret gadgets that will prove invaluable to the defeat of the Wraith and any other enemies.

VB
            Click statement above to read article.

Comment

that tablet was made in the MW. after the war ended
              A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella
                But that's not the only possibility. Remember that less than 1/3rd of the city has been searched, although there are regular expeditions around Atlantis. It is the size of Manhattan, and I live in Manhattan--it will take years to tour fully all of Manhattan.

Taking into account that they only have a few people with them, and then a good majority of the teams, are keeping up with off world contacts and maintaing alliances; added to the fact that they're also spending time analyzing the Ancient database, which seems like it will take forever, and also random obstacles like a coups, attacks by the wraith, loss of your military leader---and head scientist, alliances with possible enemies, and random other enemies deciding to take you hostage. Let's just say it does keep away from being knowledgeable about all aspects of Atlantis.

So there is still a chance that they'll happen on a large store of weapon reserves and other secret gadgets that will prove invaluable to the defeat of the Wraith and any other enemies.

VB
                I totally agree with you on that... Atlantis is huge! And without the city being powered with all three ZPM's, the way it was inteneded to be, who knows what's being hidened in the city, and where? Moreover, what about Atlantis' sister city- the one that was basically underground and was being ran by those aristocratic families? Perhpaps that city, whatever it was called, might also contain a wealth of knowledge and weapons; we've already seen the loads of ZPM's that were left behind.

Comment

How about the Aurora and the... other one i cant remember the name of!

Aren't they weapons to a degree and wouldnt they have been docked in Atlantis at one point?
                  Mrs Tapping

Myspace: www.myspace.com/stuey1221
                  MSN: [email protected]
                  feel free to add me on either

Comment

Originally posted by Stuey1221
                    How about the Aurora and the... other one i cant remember the name of!

Aren't they weapons to a degree and wouldnt they have been docked in Atlantis at one point?
                    I think you mean the Orion. To a degree yes, but they wouldn't have counted them as weapons if this quote is correct:
                    Originally posted by GreyFox
                    that tablet was made in the MW. after the war ended
                    I stay that because it would mean that it was done after the rest of the Atlanteans made it to MW which would mean that
                    Spoiler:
                    both the Aurora and the Orion, would probably have been lost ships to the Ancients during battle. Remember in Aurora how the Ancients claimed that they were still in a state of war. Since to them, they haven't been gone for more than 10,000 years.
                    So there's probably some reserves hiding out somewhere we haven't discovered. I could just picture John/Ronon, McKay, and Zelenka's face when they discover that cache...we'd be hearing orchestra of angels and harps in their giddiness.

VB
                    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Yeah the Orion lol
                      Lord knows how many topics ive contributed too involving that name!!!
                      Mrs Tapping

Myspace: www.myspace.com/stuey1221
                      MSN: [email protected]
                      feel free to add me on either

Comment

Don't forget about the ancient descriptions of things, they arn't always what we think they are. There definition of weapons could mean information that can be used to defeat enermies, and information that you can use to gain an advantage.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin's_Legacy
                          I think you're right and it is a case of misinformation.

A good question would be who wrote the tablet? If the Ancients had intended for non-ancients to visit the city, especially knowing the Wraith were out there, they probably wouldn't have "made it lost" so chances are it was written by someone who heard the story second hand and not by an Ancient.

When you hear a story of a great and powerful lost city, made by an ancient and powerful race, it's only likely you'd expect great treasure and weapons., especially if you heard a proper description of the city. Even if it turns out there was just the one big weapon, hearing it second hand, you may assume many things.

But I think the obvious is that the writers, as they often do, changed their minds in an inconsistent way. And they probably did it to make the premise of Atlantis more plausible, if there were a large store of weapons, (besides the numerous drones they once had) why wouldn't the Ancients have used them? And why would they hide weapons in a location away from the main control area when they were fighting a war?

I'm not saying there aren't any weapons at all, but if it's something that could be used to fight the wraith and they trip over it later, it will be contrived and just hard to believe.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

The thing that seems weird is that the Tablet was "discovered" as a way to introduce us to Atlantis.

I was originally thinking that maybe the tablet was written before the ancients left Earth the first time around, but that can't be the case since the story on the tablet, which iwas written in Ancient, spoke of the Ancients "making the city lost". So the the tablet had to have been written after after Atlantis was sunk and the Ancients returned to Earth, and it had to have been written by someone who both spoke and wrote the Ancient language.

My guess is that this is just another inconsistency, but it is not out of thte realm of rectification. For instance, the city-ship that the Asurans have could be the true "lost city" that the Ancients were referring to, or there could possibly be another hidden city or city-ship in Pegasus that happens to have the ZPM and drone production facilities. That would at least close the plot hole created by the tablet.

Comment

Wasnt there another tablet as well? I remember that episode when the NID stole the Prometheus and were looking for a planet that had 'weapons' which a goa'uld translated for them but when they arrived there was nothing there. Maybe the coordinates were right but the galaxy was wrong.....

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Working...
                              X