This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timelords all dead?

Maybe this has been covered in another thread - I did try and search for it - but something's been bugging me....

How is it that the Doctor can say that he's the last of his kind, if his kind are time travelers? - even if they did all meet up in one place and were all killed bar the doctor - the doctor could easily run into them at any point in time anyway. Obviously there's a major opportunity for paradox - but any one thing the Doctor does in the past, anywhere could result in the future war not evening happening. (oh my head hurts)

Actually, I think it's precisely because the Time Lords are time travellers that the Doctor can never meet up with them again...sort of. The Time Lords were never permitted to travel into their own past, because of the danger of interfering in the history of a temporal power I guess. When they were around they enforced this themselves; once they're gone, I guess it would cause a tear in time like the one that Rose created in Father's Day.

Or something.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

And here was me thinking that they'd just been destroyed throughout every point of time...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Or it could be that because the Time Lords were killed within the time vortex, they may well have been eliminated from history, with only higher beings such as the Krillitains, the tree people from the Forest of Cheem and the Nestene Conciousness having any knowledge of them and the Time Lords

EDIT: FOB beat me to it
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
          Actually, I think it's precisely because the Time Lords are time travellers that the Doctor can never meet up with them again...sort of. The Time Lords were never permitted to travel into their own past, because of the danger of interfering in the history of a temporal power I guess. When they were around they enforced this themselves; once they're gone, I guess it would cause a tear in time like the one that Rose created in Father's Day.

Or something.
          Unless I'm misremembering wasn't the problem in Father's day (as explained by the doctor in the episode) that Rose and the Doctor saw themselves? - not that she saved her Father (although there's an inherent paradox there which backs up any spoken reasoning).

Any change in the past on Earth has the potential to change Roses life. Given the vast number of times the various Doctors have 'interfered' in the past - she could never have existed through some 'grandfather' like causality.

Given the Daleks have been on Earth more than once throughout the lifetime of the show and movies - and their recent war with the time lords is it established whether the Daleks could time travel?

Either way, in the case of the Daleks it would be easy to see them pre-destruction just by showing up on a planet you know they've over run at some point in time - and in doing so may 'accidentally' prevent a chain of events that cause the war. (still hurts!)

From the sound of some of the upcoming episodes - in particular
          Spoiler:
          Davros
          it seems like they must cross the line.

{EDIT} OK, so there were a couple of posts, before I replied. Sorry! {EDIT}

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
            Or it could be that because the Time Lords were killed within the time vortex, they may well have been eliminated from history, with only higher beings such as the Krillitains, the tree people from the Forest of Cheem and the Nestene Conciousness having any knowledge of them and the Time Lords

EDIT: FOB beat me to it
            If that were true - then every good deed they've ever done would be undone and everything not connected to the doctor would be fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRLeggett
              If that were true - then every good deed they've ever done would be undone and everything not connected to the doctor would be fair game.
              Not really, most of the major players, including those mentioned above, are high beings so they would still experience the effects of the Time Lords, and the minor players have never had a big effect on the timeline, and the Doctor is one of the few ever to be involved with the minor villains out there, so little change would occur.
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I think its not a case of them being erased. Their deeds were still all done, but they themselves, have just disapeared at every point in time. Its hard to imagine... but its my theory.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRLeggett
                  Unless I'm misremembering wasn't the problem in Father's day (as explained by the doctor in the episode) that Rose and the Doctor saw themselves? - not that she saved her Father (although there's an inherent paradox there which backs up any spoken reasoning).
                  The multiple presences and crossed timelines weakened the fabric, making any change - specifically saving her father - potentially disastrous...I think. Saving Dad was the spark, if you will, with the reaction catalysed by the strain of crossed timelines.

It is also possible that, as has been suggested, the Time Lords are simply not there ever any more.

Given the Daleks have been on Earth more than once throughout the lifetime of the show and movies - and their recent war with the time lords is it established whether the Daleks could time travel?
                  In various places it is stated that the Daleks have or had time travel (The Dalek Invasion of Earth, I believe). The survival of Davros after Genesis of the Daleks is believed by some to have prevented the development of Dalek time travel, but the fact that they engaged in a Time War argues against that.

Either way, in the case of the Daleks it would be easy to see them pre-destruction just by showing up on a planet you know they've over run at some point in time - and in doing so may 'accidentally' prevent a chain of events that cause the war. (still hurts!)
                  Again, I think that the fact of their being a temporal power means that they can be annihilated across all of time. Or possibly it's the nature of the weapons used in the Time War that mean the races can be 'deleted' from history.

As to the form of the 'deletion', I suppose that for lower beings they would just vanish, while higher races would either be able to spot places where effects seemed to have no cause or actually remember the Time Lords. Everyone remembers the Daleks, of course, but then they were a lot less strategic and retiring than the Time Lords.
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Extreeme Spoilers theorys. That could ruin season 3, although it could be wrong.
                    Spoiler:
                    Double Spoilers
                    Spoiler:
                    Apparetly the face of Boeds big secret to the Doctor, it simply "You are not alone", sujesting that the time lords actualy suvived, or there are some are alive
                    Last edited by BC - 303; 02 June 2006, 04:35 PM.
                    Hola

Hello

Comment

If only the Doctor's existing universe was affected, then...
                      Well, there's also Romana (II) who stayed behind in E-space and is still probably around in a new regeneration, if not her previous - as we've seen it.

So, that's at least 1 Time Lord...

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                        And here was me thinking that they'd just been destroyed throughout every point of time...
                        Precisely. I imagine they were surgically excised from Time by some clever-clogs baddie, but with all consequences and effects of their actions preserved by temporal cauterization, or something. So as not to mess up the time lines too much.
                        sigpic
                        "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

just reading this makes me wanna start watching this show
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I always wonder if they do an episode where the Doctor visits the remains of his homeworld.......it would help explain further about the Time War.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

You're assuming there ARE remains...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X