Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the Wraith/Ancient war, the Ancients Vietnam War?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was the Wraith/Ancient war, the Ancients Vietnam War?

I think the best analogy to describe the wraith/ancient war is the vietnam war. The viet cong werent as advanced or as powerful as the americans. In fact every facet of technology, whether it was ground,air or sea the americans were more advanced. In fact they lost every single major battle. Just like the ancients in the wraith war. The hologram said, those they won every battle, they were just overwhelmed in numbers. Just like the vietnam war, tired of war, and overwhelmed by numbers the ancients left. that is the best way to describe the wraith/ancient war.

On another note I wish the writers of the show didnt hype up tacitly during the first half of the season that the wraith could have been more powerful then the ancients. As the seasons went by, it turned out tobe more of a vietnam war scenerio.

No,The Hologram said the Ancient ship is superior on a one to one match, it they had won every battle they won't lost the war.
    vietnam war is not a good analogy, the Ancient/Wraith war is between two species fighting for dominant ,it was evolution not politic.

The American left the Vietnam, but the Vietnamese people's living standard and life did get better in the long run.
    The Ancient left the human at the mercy of Wriath,Pegasus 's life get worst and worst.
    The Wraith War is more similar to WW2, when nations were fighting for their own survival .Race and countries were almost facing extinction.
    If Japanese had won the war, they would have wipe out as much of the Chinese race as possiblie to ensure their dominance.
    The rape of Nanking, the germ warfare experiment on chinese ,the rape and all were design to destory the Chinese race .
    If Hilter had won, Jews or minorities in Europe would be wipe out ,for the German master race.

Comment

Excellent posts and ideas from both of you.

At first I would tend to agree more with ckwongau, because the wraith were out to eat and destroy anyone who was not a wraith. So in a sense the ancients were fighting to survive, not so much as to *win* a war.

However on the other hand, I also agree with mahram in regards to the reference about the vietnam war. I agree with him/her because of the technological advantage that the ancients have.

Either way, I love this topic and I think Season 3 is going to blow away some of our preconceived notions about the past and mythology of the series in regards to the ancients.
      Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Comment

You said the Ancients were fighting to survive, but aren't the wraith in the same boat? It's not like they can go to the local 7-11 and grab some human energy off the shelf. By feeding off of humans they are basically acting the same way we do with cattle, which sounds really harsh and undeserving, but it's true. Can you blame the lion for hunting the wilderbeast or the bear for eating the salmon? Now granted, these animals are not sentient in the sense of the word as we are, but all the wraith are trying to do is survive, albeit in a very scary and sadistic manner. I think a good question is would we view the wraith in the same manner as we do now if they were discreet in their feeding habits and did not make such a big sport about it, maybe like the lion and the wilderbeast. I knwo they don't kill everyone, but they do in such a grandiose manner that they come off as arrogant and submissive. I put it to you again: would the perception of the wraith be any different if they were not so evil about their 'feeding' habits?

Comment

Originally posted by edain
          I think a good question is would we view the wraith in the same manner as we do now if they were discreet in their feeding habits and did not make such a big sport about it, maybe like the lion and the wilderbeast. I know they don't kill everyone, but they do in such a grandiose manner that they come off as arrogant and submissive. I put it to you again: would the perception of the wraith be any different if they were not so evil about their 'feeding' habits?
          An even broader question-would we view them the same way if they didn't have their current technological advancements?
          Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
          encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
          3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
          4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
          5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

That's a loaded question. You can't blaim a species for advancing their lives with technology. If you did then it's the possible to view the Asgard or the Nox in the same light. I think the Nox are being VERY selfish and arrogant in the way they treat other species. It's not so much the level of the technology, but what you do with it. The wraith merely invented ships to find other feeding grounds(the Indians didn't migrate because they liked living in teepees), but they are so sadistic and evil in their way of doing things. That's what makes them bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ckwongau
              No,The Hologram said the Ancient ship is superior on a one to one match, it they had won every battle they won't lost the war.
              vietnam war is not a good analogy, the Ancient/Wraith war is between two species fighting for dominant ,it was evolution not politic.
              actaully it was said that the ancients did win almost every battle, the lost the war because they saw no end to it so they left.

it was said in the Seige when sheppard was showing the cornel the holigram of the war

Comment

Originally posted by mahram
                I think the best analogy to describe the wraith/ancient war is the vietnam war. The viet cong werent as advanced or as powerful as the americans. In fact every facet of technology, whether it was ground,air or sea the americans were more advanced. In fact they lost every single major battle. Just like the ancients in the wraith war. The hologram said, those they won every battle, they were just overwhelmed in numbers. Just like the vietnam war, tired of war, and overwhelmed by numbers the ancients left. that is the best way to describe the wraith/ancient war.

On another note I wish the writers of the show didnt hype up tacitly during the first half of the season that the wraith could have been more powerful then the ancients. As the seasons went by, it turned out tobe more of a vietnam war scenerio.
                You can use this because it is what happend when you look at it as a military lesson. That is exactly what happend. The Ancients and Americas won every battle but the numbers where so great and left. Although both are different circumestances.
                *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Nah I dont think its like the Vietnam War...the Ancients were defending themselves, thus they had a right to be there...unlike the USA in Vietnam.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
                  Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
                  the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
                  Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                  The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

well from my point of view was from how the wars were fought similarily. Like how the ancients could win every major battle, but could never seem to win the war. The reason there was just too many viet cong to kill. Like the ancients, they won every battle, but the wraith overwhelmed and tired them out. The ancients gave up b/c of sheer exhaustion. Just like the americans during the viet nam war. The americans were the superpower in the air,sea, and land. But it was a like a bug that just kept nagging at them, that they eventually said this isnt worth it. And just left. Like I said, I just hated the fact the writers hyped up the fact that the wraith were more advanced then the ancients. i wished they used the ori instead of the wraith.

Originally posted by ckwongau

The American left the Vietnam, but the Vietnamese people's living standard and life did get better in the long run.
                    The Ancient left the human at the mercy of Wriath,Pegasus 's life get worst and worst.
                    The Wraith War is more similar to WW2, when nations were fighting for their own survival .Race and countries were almost facing extinction.
                    If Japanese had won the war, they would have wipe out as much of the Chinese race as possiblie to ensure their dominance.
                    The rape of Nanking, the germ warfare experiment on chinese ,the rape and all were design to destory the Chinese race .
                    If Hilter had won, Jews or minorities in Europe would be wipe out ,for the German master race.

Comment

I like this topic gives some good points of view. Although you are right about what Sheppard said it wasn't that the ancients couldn't win, his exact words was:

"No matter how many wraith ships they destroyed, more kept coming. They could win almost every batter, but they saw no way to win the war. So they submerged the city and left."

Kinda a scary thought that the ancients destroyed so many of them but more of the wraith kept coming for them. You would think they would eventually run out of wraith to come after them. But its curious as to how the wraith are so great numbers to me since I don't understand how they become wraith. All I have seen is the bug they say eventually took form of the things it fed on. dosn't seem like it could create so many of them.

Comment

well we know the ancients could of won the war easily. They could have used that life recreation machine. The same machine anubis was going to use. The ancients could have said, f this, enought is enought and wiped out all life in the galaxy. And restarted again.
                        Originally posted by Morpheus88
                        I like this topic gives some good points of view. Although you are right about what Sheppard said it wasn't that the ancients couldn't win, his exact words was:

"No matter how many wraith ships they destroyed, more kept coming. They could win almost every batter, but they saw no way to win the war. So they submerged the city and left."

Kinda a scary thought that the ancients destroyed so many of them but more of the wraith kept coming for them. You would think they would eventually run out of wraith to come after them. But its curious as to how the wraith are so great numbers to me since I don't understand how they become wraith. All I have seen is the bug they say eventually took form of the things it fed on. dosn't seem like it could create so many of them.

Comment

Interesting the analogy…
                          I think the premise is correct, especially if you consider the possibility that the Ancient (like the Americans) simply lost the WILL to fight. I don’t think they (Ancients or Americans) lost the ability to win the war just the desire to continue with it.

Comment

well the ancients never wanted a war, they wanted peace

so just leaving was the best option for them to find peace

Comment

well I still think they should have left the humans some advanced weopens to defeat the wraith.

Originally posted by Cycrow
                              well the ancients never wanted a war, they wanted peace

so just leaving was the best option for them to find peace

Comment

Working...
                              X