PDA

View Full Version : Why is Gateworld incomplete

BC - 303
May 31st, 2006, 06:34 PM
Why is Gateworld, the Best source of infomation about stargate, and one of the biggest Stargate related Forum, why is it so incomplete.
Episode guides should have the following
On the left side

The Stargate Omnipeidia related charactors/ships/planets...
Follow the Story.
A list of images of the episode, each with a line of description

In the centre it should have

Episode Summary (This should be a MUST)
Analysis
Charactor Development
Notes
Unanswered questions
Production details (if there are any)

And mabey a reweiw or two, and a Transcript.

Season 1 has hardnly anything in the middle collum, apart form Children of the gods which doesnt have any discription of any pics, ot any Review or Transcript

Season 2 has everything apart from discription of any pics, or any Reviews or Transcripts, apart form Prisoners which doesnt have a summary

Season 3 has everything apart from discription of any pics, Season 3 does have some Reviews but no Transcripts. Half way through it looses its Omipeidia thing, which is replaced by a smaller thing between the description and the summary. Urgo doesnt even have this. Rules of Engagement doesnt have anything in the middle, no summary or anything.

Im to tired to go through the other 8 seasons (6 of SG1, 2 of Atlantis)

Also the Omnipeidia, it has an artical about everything, but the articals are never updated, so if a piece of tech is used again, it isnt put on there.

But the Gate World Forum has over 10,000 members, so surly we can update it. surly we can fill in the gaps.

Pharaoh Atem
May 31st, 2006, 06:42 PM
Why is Gateworld, the Best source of infomation about stargate, and one of the biggest Stargate related Forum, why is it so incomplete.
Episode guides should have the following
On the left side
The Stargate Omnipeidia related charactors/ships/planets...
Follow the Story.
A list of images of the episode, each with a line of descriptionIn the centre it should have
Episode Summary (This should be a MUST)
Analysis
Charactor Development
Notes
Unanswered questions
Production details (if there are any)And mabey a reweiw or two, and a Transcript.

Season 1 has hardnly anything in the middle collum, apart form Children of the gods which doesnt have any discription of any pics, ot any Review or Transcript

Season 2 has everything apart from discription of any pics, or any Reviews or Transcripts, apart form Prisoners which doesnt have a summary

Season 3 has everything apart from discription of any pics, Season 3 does have some Reviews but no Transcripts. Half way through it looses its Omipeidia thing, which is replaced by a smaller thing between the description and the summary. Urgo doesnt even have this. Rules of Engagement doesnt have anything in the middle, no summary or anything.

Im to tired to go through the other 8 seasons (6 of SG1, 2 of Atlantis)

Also the Omnipeidia, it has an artical about everything, but the articals are never updated, so if a piece of tech is used again, it isnt put on there.

But the Gate World Forum has over 10,000 members, so surly we can update it. surly we can fill in the gaps. you feel better

david is doing all he can yes he gets help from member but he does have school and a life

Skydiver
May 31st, 2006, 06:46 PM
Darren sometimes asks for folks to volunteer to submit/contribute to the site. Very few offer.

He does what he can, and even with all the perceived 'flaws', fan sites still have more and more complete info than many 'official' sites...ones that can afford to hire staff to work 40 hours a week compiling information

If the 'lacks' bother folks so much, volunteer to help fill them in

BC - 303
May 31st, 2006, 06:47 PM
All im saying is Gateworld has 10,000 members, and thats alot of people. Surly one of them could write a summary or something, after all its alot of work keeping up with stargate as this is spoiler prime-time were spoilers come out about all the new episodes they are filming. Meaning there wouldnt be time to fill in all the gaps.

Lord Zedd
June 1st, 2006, 04:31 AM
Well you are wrong about one thing ! Gatewolrd has 19,653 members ! :p That is a bit more ! :p

sarge
June 1st, 2006, 05:26 AM
Well you are wrong about one thing ! Gatewolrd has 19,653 members ! :p That is a bit more ! :p
really? that's huge! well maybe not huge huge but still pretty stinkin impresive...

freyr's mother
June 1st, 2006, 09:04 AM
Darren sometimes asks for folks to volunteer to submit/contribute to the site. Very few offer.

He does what he can, and even with all the perceived 'flaws', fan sites still have more and more complete info than many 'official' sites...ones that can afford to hire staff to work 40 hours a week compiling information

If the 'lacks' bother folks so much, volunteer to help fill them in
I'd be willing to type articles for the Omnipedia. Talk it over with Darren and have him PM me.

Skydiver
June 1st, 2006, 09:16 AM
i'm not getting in the middle. no need to have extra folks involved.

If you're interested, pm him.

Darren
June 1st, 2006, 11:44 AM

http://www.darrenandchristy.com/photos/joshua_043006.jpg

That's the reason. :)

We're actually working hard to fill in the holes, and many of them should be filled for GW 2.0 later this year. We have helpers working on summaries, and David keeps the Omnipedia immaculately up-to-date. Please send an e-mail via the Omnipedia's own contact form if you find something missing -- that's the best way to help.

We're currently in the position where extra help doesn't do us much good, since I hold the gate keys and must edit, approve, and publish everything. GW 2.0 comes with a back-end content management system (now in development, which is a big part of the reason site updates have slowed down), which changes all that.

Thanks!

Commander Ivanova
June 1st, 2006, 11:49 AM
Ok, not like I'm sucking up to the Mods or anything but that's adorable. If I had one of those I wouldn't be spending so much time on my computer, that's for sure. :)

David
June 3rd, 2006, 07:55 PM
As every new episode airs we make a list of older Omnipedia entries that get updated. Perhaps the body doesn't always get a face lift but certainly the Key Episodes receive new input.

If a character dies or a planet gets abandoned or destroyed, I will typically rework the body to "bookend" it with some finality. This year the biggest job was for "Ethon." Insert that word into the Omni search engine and almost all of the pages that come up relating to the episode have been written to be closed permanently.

Minus interviews my summer efforts have remained undivided with GateWorld 2.0. It's the biggest project of my career. By far the hardest. Every episode will have the completed Omnipedia listings for that show. Everything currently on the site will be spilled into the new version, and then some. Much, MUCH then some. I will then get back to the Omnipedia and start updating older entries as I can.

Why don't we let everyone share the burden? Because there is a standard of quality to maintain in crosschecking material, verifying, re-verifying, etc. It's not as easy as it sounds, and I do not trust a person with no obligation to tinker with it. Not to mention, we're hoping for a book deal down the road, which would squash that hope.

I hope this offers some clarification.

TameFarrar
June 3rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Darren... with those eyes....you are forgiven anything :D:D...Your little gatelet just gets MORE adorable every time I see him....

can I get an **awwwwwww* :D

BC - 303
June 7th, 2006, 09:44 AM

We're actually working hard to fill in the holes, and many of them should be filled for GW 2.0 later this year. We have helpers working on summaries, and David keeps the Omnipedia immaculately up-to-date. Please send an e-mail via the Omnipedia's own contact form if you find something missing -- that's the best way to help.

We're currently in the position where extra help doesn't do us much good, since I hold the gate keys and must edit, approve, and publish everything. GW 2.0 comes with a back-end content management system (now in development, which is a big part of the reason site updates have slowed down), which changes all that.

Thanks!
Awwww thats really sweet, cute baby!
Even though there are still holes in Gateworld, i want you to know i really respect all you people giving your time for this website, getting all the latest news and spoilers even though you have your own personal life. Im really looking forward to GateWorld 2.0.
I mean you can tell what a sucsess you have, with all the interviews, and bloggers and even TPTB popping up to answer questions occasionaly.

warmbeachbrat
June 7th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Oh man! Your baby is so VERY cute! Those eyes....

LaCroix
June 7th, 2006, 11:54 AM
So cute Darren.

Enjoy it while you can, because the next time you blink their asking for money, keys to the car and then their own car. But it's worthwhile, belive me.

Michelle05
June 8th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Minus interviews my summer efforts have remained undivided with GateWorld 2.0. It's the biggest project of my career.

Just out of curiosity, are you and/or Darren writing your content management system from scratch or using one of the many products out there in open source land?

Michelle

morjana
June 8th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Awww....Darren, what a cutie!

Morjana

PG15
June 13th, 2006, 10:35 AM
All im saying is Gateworld has 10,000 members, and thats alot of people. Surly one of them could write a summary or something, after all its alot of work keeping up with stargate as this is spoiler prime-time were spoilers come out about all the new episodes they are filming. Meaning there wouldnt be time to fill in all the gaps.

I mean no offense, but even you're too tired to go through 8 seasons to look for the missing details. How can you expect other people to do the same and put in the details?

Trek_Girl42
June 17th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Definitly looking forward to Gateworld 2.0- you guys do such a great job it'll be worth the wait! :jack_new_anime07:

shoarn
June 17th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Thanks!
Gosh, with a cutie like him I'd barely have time to visit the site much less work on it. As the mom of three sons (15, 19 and 21) I can tell you they are only little for a short time so enjoy it. As for the site I find it very informative, packed with fan favorite items and worth the time I spend here. Keep up the great work!

captain jake
June 19th, 2006, 08:17 AM
I do not find this website to be "incomplete" at all, as a matter of fact this is one of the most organized forums I have come upon. The omipedia is a big help for those names you just can't seem to remember. This is in my oppinion the best stargate website on the web. I thank the forum leaders for providing us with such a wonderfull resource of knowledge and fun.

the fifth man
June 22nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
I do not find this website to be "incomplete" at all, as a matter of fact this is one of the most organized forums I have come upon. The omipedia is a big help for those names you just can't seem to remember. This is in my oppinion the best stargate website on the web. I thank the forum leaders for providing us with such a wonderfull resource of knowledge and fun.

I couldn't agree more.:) I take my hat off to all those who help make this site the wonderful Stargate resource that it is. I never thought I'd get this involved with something on the web, but this website and Forum changed all that.

captain jake
June 24th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Well thank you it appears this thread has kinda died here is a bump just incase there is someone else with a different oppinion.

Jessica
June 24th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Thanks! (melts) he's so cute !!!!!!!!!!!!

Chricton
June 27th, 2006, 09:11 AM
But the Gate World Forum has over 10,000 members, so surly we can update it. surly we can fill in the gaps.

The same way IMDB lets users update their information? I'm sure the Gateworld mods are smarter than to let 10,000 trolls walk into the site and "play" with the info.

Exiled Master
June 28th, 2006, 07:50 AM
While the Omnipedia is definitely impressive, the reference notes for races and technology seem like they could use some more math behind them.

It would be really cool if we could get a realism section that points out the physics behind something like the recoil from a staff blast, calculating the power, force, and newtons behind different technology. Shooting a missile at a Kull, for example: knowing the specs of the weapon and its characteristics for a particular moment, you could calculate how much force was exerted on the Kull when it was struck.

captain jake
July 1st, 2006, 12:20 PM
Those calculations would be impossible to make unless you know something I don't. Especially when in one episode daniel gets up from a zat hit in 3 minutes and in a different episode he gets up in 10.