This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand devices -- possible spoilers for "Rising"

ShadowMaat brought up something in a different thread about the finger guard / jewelry worn by the Marilyn Manson looking Wraith in the pilot episode of Atlantis. I barely recall seeing it, so I didn't pay it too much attention at the time, but the concept brings a couple of questions to my mind that I'd like to get your thoughts on.

(I apologize in advance if either of these topics have already been discussed on another thread.)

1.) Was it your impression that this Wraith-device was an actual tool (like the Goa'uld hand-device) and that was how she was exerting so much control over the Colonel? Or was it done via psychic / other means?

2.) Has there ever been any connection made in SG-1 series between the Goa'uld hand device / ribbon and Ancient technology? I think that the device requires Naquada in the wearer's blood to activate (sounds like the Ancient's gene-keyed technology) and that the Goa'uld likely stole this device from another race.
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep."

Definite SPOILERS for RISING

Oh, I don't think she was using it to exert control, really. Her hands were down when she started... well, actually, she DID trail her fingers along his face, didn't she? Hmmm. No, I was wondering more along the lines of what purpose the guards served. Are they strictly to help her pierce the flesh of her victims, or do they help her draw out the lifeforce? Or are they just to protect her oh-so-sensitive skin from the salt in the blood?

I just saw them and was reminded of the ribbon devices. From the lack of comment on it, I may have been the only one who thought that.

Comment

Spoilers for Rising

I didn't notice at first either. I did go back and look at some pics on GW and she is only wearing it/them on one hand. I think at this point we don't really know what they're for other than 1) they're sharp and 2) an oh-so-fine fashion accessory.

I also hope that there is no connection to the Goa'uld hand devices. This is supposed to be a separate series, isn't it?
      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
      once done, cannot be undone...
      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
        I also hope that there is no connection to the Goa'uld hand devices. This is supposed to be a separate series, isn't it?
        Unless the writers write a very good explanation of how technology from a race that has made no presence in the Milky Way ended up in the hands of a race whose presence has been limited to the Milky Way, there probably won't be any connection between the two items.

It would be nice to see some evidence of some other early races in the Milky Way (such as Atonieks, Gadmeer, etc.). We know the Goa'uld know about the Atonieks. They were trying to figure out the armbands, but they've probably figured out other Atoniek tech and have been using it.
        Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

HUH?? The Ancients started off here on Earth! They definetely colonized the Milky Way galaxy (I really hate that stupid name) before they even thought about leaving to go to Pegasus.

The Gadmeer would definetly peak my interest. I'm interested in seeing how we would communicate with such a species. As for the Atonieks, hey, why not?

So long as they show us Lemmi- Furlings, I'll be happy.

Comment

Presumably, the Wraith was using Wraith technology (if it was technology) and not Ancient technology.
            The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Working...
            X