X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MediaSharX: Boob Tube week of 8/2

From MediaSharX:

http://www.mediasharx.com/index.php/columns/2853

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Columns

Boob Tube: Where Have All The Heroes Gone?
    by Tara O'Shea

So the big news this week--for my family, anyway--is the release of V: THE COMPLETE SERIES on DVD. Yes, you heard me: V. As in "The Visitors are your friends."

**snippity doo-dah**

But the increasing cost of genre series, coupled with broadcast and basic cable television suffering dramatic decreases in viewers, means that reality TV (which is cheaper to produce, and often becomes a ratings smash with mainstream audiences) may be pushing the ever-shrinking action/adventure genre off the stage.

However, all is not completely lost. STARGATE SG-1 and STARGATE ATLANTIS are almost throw-backs to a vanishing era. And the appointment of ODYSSEY 5 creator Manny Coto to the top spot at STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE means that, for a few hours a week, should I desire phaser blasts, wacky aliens, and black and white villains and white-hat wearing good guys, I have a refuge. QUANTUM LEAP's Don Bellisario still has a hit in JAG, which looks as if it will run forever, or at least until CBS finds a way to kill it (they're CBS. I have faith in their ability to kill a series, no matter how good the writing, acting, and ratings may be). SMALLVILLE combines action with teen angst, and being a Superman fan ever since Richard Donner made me believe a man can fly, I'm here for the long haul however many more seasons the WB continues to air the teen adventures of Clark Kent, Lex Luthor, and company. And Fox's surprising renewal of TRU CALLING means 13 new episodes of time-traveller Tru battling series regular Jason Priestly to save those who've died before their time this fall. However, the conditional pick-up (which means the show will be waiting on pins and needles this November, to see if the "back 9" get picked up) doesn't bode well for the series, which barely survived its first season.

**snippity doo-dah**

What's on the Boob Tube This Week:

Friday 8/6: JAG plays the IT''S A WONDERFUL LIFE card in this recast where the Navy lawyers imagine might-have-beens. And the STARGATE ATLANTIS folks are worried there's a spy among them.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Manny Coto moved over to Enterprise?? That's cool news. Not that I watch Enterprise, but mainly because so many fans have already said that it stinks. Odyssey 5 (which I liked, btw) was the series Jonathan Glassner produced after he left Stargate and Coto also worked with Brad Wright on Outer Limits. Such a small world it is...
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Working...
    X