This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A real Zat Gun?

It's not all fun and scifi, but here is a peek at a possible future of weaponry:

Pentagon Looks to Directed-Energy Weapons
    Sun Aug 1, 3:39 PM ET
    By MICHAEL P. REGAN, AP Business Writer

Read the whole story:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...energy_weapons
    or
    http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040801_866.html
    A few months from now, Peter Anthony Schlesinger hopes to zap a laser beam at a couple of chickens or other animals in a cage a few dozen yards away. If all goes as planned, the chickens will be frozen in mid-cluck, their leg and wing muscles paralyzed by an electrical charge created by the beam, even as their heart and lungs function normally.

**snip snip snip**

Aside from paralyzing potential attackers or noncombatants like a long-range stun gun, directed-energy weapons could fry the electronics of missiles and roadside bombs, developers say, or even disable a vehicle in a high-speed chase.

**snip snip snip**

The device works by creating an electrical charge through a stream of ionized gas, or plasma.

Bitar says it could be tuned to target the electronics of a vehicle or explosive device, or tuned to temporarily paralyze voluntary muscles, such as those that control arms and legs. The involuntary muscles, like heart and lungs, operate at a different frequency.

So far, this and a handful of similar weapons are only in the prototype stage. Production models, if approved by the military, would not be ready for a few years.

The device being developed by Schlesinger's company, HSV Technologies Inc. of San Diego, will operate similarly to Bitar's, except the electrical charge will be created by an ultraviolet laser beam, rather than plasma. He, too, says the device is designed for non-lethal purposes only.

"Later on, as certain agencies or law enforcement gets involved in this, and they see the need for lethality, I'm sure that can be developed later," Schlesinger said. "It could induce cardiac arrest, for example. But that is not our patent, and not our intent."

**snip snip snip**
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Pretty cool, but, as awesome as it would be, three shots won't vaporize.
    Rocky

Comment

but two shots may kill

Comment

I heard about something like this a while ago.

http://www.defensereview.com/352003/TIS1.pdf

The first military use energy based rifle. ;D

Comment

oooo!!!!
          i would love zat-like weapons instead of bullet guns... much safer! and totally cool!
          aren't police forces starting to get more stun-gun type of weapons? maybe this is just an evolution from that? hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix
            oooo!!!!
            i would love zat-like weapons instead of bullet guns... much safer! and totally cool!
            aren't police forces starting to get more stun-gun type of weapons? maybe this is just an evolution from that? hmm...
            I think the police use tasers every so often.
            Rocky

Comment

yeah, but tazers arent even close to zat guns. no cool blue stream of energy
              ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Woo woo! Go ZATs!
                Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
                LOVE HIM-> DT
                ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

The links don't work. It sounds cool though. I'd buy one if they were going to be aviable to civilians and if they didn't cost like $10,000.
                  I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

It would be great to swap over paint ball guns for those.
                    The 360 is out in Aus and I'm playing
                    Mal: Was that the primary buffer panel?
                    Wash: It did seem to resemble-
                    Mal: Did the primary bufferpanel just fall off my gorramn ship for no apparent rerason?

Comment

Working...
                    X