Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INTERVIEW: Amanda Tapping (Samantha Carter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INTERVIEW: Amanda Tapping (Samantha Carter)

INTERVIEW:
    A DECADE WITH SAM
    GateWorld talks with Amanda Tapping

Stargate SG-1 co-star Amanda Tapping sits down to talk with GateWorld about her place on the long-running series, Season Ten, and her reflections on nearly ten years of adventure.

READ MORE ...

Nice interview, thanks Darren (and Amanda).

I wish they hadn't cut that scene with Vala, don't they know that is just the kind of thing some fans are screaming out to see? No not a soap opera; just some emotional connection between characters and yes, female characters.

Comment

The problem is that episode ran 12 minutes over (and that's over a quater of an episodes length), unfortunatly things not pertaining the the storyline had to go - no matter how sad it is that they had too...

Thanks Darren and Amanda for the interview, looks like this season is going to be more settled then last.
      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
        The problem is that episode ran 12 minutes over (and that's over a quater of an episodes length), unfortunatly things not pertaining the the storyline had to go - no matter how sad it is that they had too...
        Yes I read that too, but I think sometimes they cut what the guys think is not important to the story, yes I know it is a SciFi show but that shouldn't mean the first thing to go is the emotional content. Not always anyway, but it seems it is the first thing to go always.

And given some fans see Vala as trampling on Carter's space (eg the only other regular female cast member) I think to see them being friendly/supportive would be a good thing for the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow's Cat
          Yes I read that too, but I think sometimes they cut what the guys think is not important to the story, yes I know it is a SciFi show but that shouldn't mean the first thing to go is the emotional content. Not always anyway, but it seems it is the first thing to go always.
          But 12 minutes over might as well be 60... You have to cut stuff, and it's always stuff that doesn't fit into the story line. Little assides like this become less important. Sorry, but it's a fact. I know from making short films no matter how great you think some content is, if you want it to come in under the guideline for the competion, you have to cut it out. And it isn't an easy decision to make.

I know we would like to see it, but not all little assides like this are important to the main story arc of the episode.

And given some fans see Vala as trampling on Carter's space (eg the only other regular female cast member) I think to see them being friendly/supportive would be a good thing for the show.
          But, once again. 12 minutes over. Sure, it would have been great to keep it in - I am hoping the DVD's will come with deleted scenes this time 'round, but things have to go. In a good and happy word, everything would be okay, but it isn't that kind of world.

I think it would have been more disasterous keeping that 30 seconds of film and cutting a key point then it would have been cutting that piece of film. It's sad, it bites, it's the reality of the business. And in the end it's only one thing that got cut (for Sam and Vala connecting that we know of), let's see what happens in following episodes, for all we know they are going to make up for it.
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

But 12 minutes over might as well be 60...
            Yes I am not stupid I understand that, I am saying I feel as if they would go out of their way to keep the action scenes, but not the emotional ones, whether in this case it was for other dialogue or not is irrelevant to me, I am talking more in generalisations. Now I may be way off there but that is my take on it, they would cut an emotional or "reaching out" type of scene especially between the female characters rather then touch their precious action scenes. Just my take on it.

Comment

Well since we are not sure what episode it was in, it's a massive generalisation to make. We don't know for what content they cut it for, but being 12 minutes over is just plain painful. If it had been much less then that (maybe 2 minutes) I would be with you and what you are saying, but this is hugely over time.

I just hope they pick up the slack on a later episode.

Comment

Well since we are not sure what episode it was in, it's a massive generalisation to make. We don't know for what content they cut it for, but being 12 minutes over is just plain painful. If it had been much less then that (maybe 2 minutes) I would be with you and what you are saying, but this is hugely over time.

I just hope they pick up the slack on a later episode.
                Not so much as exactly how many action scenes did they have in Season 9 and how many Vala/Sam scenes have they had? No idea if you watch SGA but the same thing happens there, no real Elizabeth/Teyla scenes but loads mother loads of boys own adventure scenes.

I am not saying lets have heaps of mushy sentimental story-lines I am just saying moments like the one hinted at in the interview (moments) are just what a lot of fans (and not just females) are looking for and we are not getting them... at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Willows Cat
                  I am not saying lets have heaps of mushy sentimental story-lines I am just saying moments like the one hinted at in the interview (moments) are just what a lot of fans (and not just females) are looking for and we are not getting them... at all.
                  I'm not disagreeing with you, we do need more of those moments. But the problem here isn't the fact that it wasn't written in, it's the fact that it was written in and the episode ran 12 minutes over.

What I am trying to say is that, complaining about this being cut doesn't make sense to me because the episode ran so far over. A minute or 2 I would feel much different about it, 12 minutes - c'mon we have to be fair here.

And for all we know they may pick up the slack later. But yes, in a nut shell I agree, we do need more of these moments. But I want the to come with the storyline, not at the cost of it.

Comment

EXCELLENT interview. Amanda is ...as always just a joy to read and Darren some great questions there. I am glad to hear that she is promoting the *friendship* aspect of the two women on the team rather than the opposite. Thats been way overdone these days. So that will be a joy to watch

Amanda is a class act!!!
                    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

great interview Darren too bad that scene had to be cut... it would have been a good scene to watch
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Darren for a lovely interview from Amanda, it's always a pleasure to read any interview from Amanda and nice to hear that she is feeling happy with s10.
                        Shame that the scene with Vala got cut but i have to say that i like the idea that Amanda has with Claudia about getting in as many little signs between their characters as they can, sometimes it's the little looks and face expressions between the characters that really does work the best.
                        ......TARA......

Comment

Thanks for the interview with Amanda. I'm sure you were very excited to finally get a chance to sit down with her. I know I would have been.

Hopefully Scifi will put some of the deleted scenes of Sam/Vala up on their new pulse page this season if nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                            EXCELLENT interview. Amanda is ...as always just a joy to read and Darren some great questions there. I am glad to hear that she is promoting the *friendship* aspect of the two women on the team rather than the opposite. Thats been way overdone these days. So that will be a joy to watch

Amanda is a class act!!!
                            Thanks for a great interview Darren and Amanda.

Comment

Darren thanks for another great interview. As Tame said Amanda is a class act and I always enjoy interviews with her.
                              My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X