This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy the Ancients sure are dumb.

They invented gates that can tell the difference between metal and organic matter and if the matter wants to travel through the gate or not, and yet the gate doesn’t understand that organic people travel in metal ships and that those ships can mess up. If the Ancients were fighting the Wraith and using ships to travel through the gate you’d think they would foresee the events of “38 minutes”. Just write a new subroutine that if the ship gets stuck but the people walk through the event horizon then override the rules and spit the people out the other side of the gate. And good move by the Ancients to have an auto-pilot that doesn’t warn the passengers when it doesn’t function properly.
    "I've been called ugly, pug-ugly, fugly, pug-fugly, but never ugly-ugly." --- Moe Szyslak

When designing the gate, I don't think they had travel by ship in mind. Besides, how often is a problem like the one in "Thirty-Eight Minutes" gonna come up??
    Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
      When designing the gate, I don't think they had travel by ship in mind. Besides, how often is a problem like the one in "Thirty-Eight Minutes" gonna come up??
      If you are fighting a war and using the jumpers for gate travel, I would think all the time. It happened to the earth people the second time they were fighting the Wraith in space. Now maybe it is tough to update the gates for something like this. But if it is as easy as the planetary drift stuff then I don't see why they didn't.
      "I've been called ugly, pug-ugly, fugly, pug-fugly, but never ugly-ugly." --- Moe Szyslak

Comment

Originally posted by airdish
        If you are fighting a war and using the jumpers for gate travel, I would think all the time. It happened to the earth people the second time they were fighting the Wraith in space. Now maybe it is tough to update the gates for something like this. But if it is as easy as the planetary drift stuff then I don't see why they didn't.
        The Ancients have a better understanding than we do about how the Puddle Jumper works. They probably would have noticed the problem and retracted the pods manually before entering the gate.
        Rocky

Comment

The Ancients have a better understanding than we do about how the Puddle Jumper works. They probably would have noticed the problem and retracted the pods manually before entering the gate.
          I guess my point is that if the jumper went into auto-pilot as it entered the gate then the ship should have know that the wings were out and aborted the approach. ‘cus I could see a time when all the Ancients aboard a jumper are passed out or something. Then I would want to ship to not enter the Stargate and maybe go into a self-defense mode if no one took control within 30 seconds.

Comment

I guess my point is that if the jumper went into auto-pilot as it entered the gate then the ship should have know that the wings were out and aborted the approach.
            It was a malfunction, something was wrong, the ship DID think that the pods were retracted.
            Rocky

Comment

It was a malfunction, something was wrong, the ship DID think that the pods were retracted.
              We don't know that. It could just be a design flaw. IF the ship did think the wings were in then there should be a mechanical sensor as well. Maybe the Ancients weren't able to think of stuff in simple terms like that (ala the Asgard)

Comment

We don't know that. It could just be a design flaw. IF the ship did think the wings were in then there should be a mechanical sensor as well. Maybe the Ancients weren't able to think of stuff in simple terms like that (ala the Asgard)
                Maybe there was a mechanical sensor and that failed as well. Remember, puddle jumpers were around before them met the Wraith, so they probably never expected to use them in combat.
                Rocky

Comment

Maybe there was a mechanical sensor and that failed as well. Remember, puddle jumpers were around before them met the Wraith, so they probably never expected to use them in combat.
                  But even earth machines and ships/tanks/planes have backups for backups for backups. Even if the jumpers weren't designed for combat (which would explain why the Ancients lost if they couldn't adapt) they were designed for space and gate travel and primary systems do break sometimes. I just don't like the fact that we hear about how smart and powerful the Ancients were and then their crap has more design flaws then Windows. Atleast explain in the show that we jury-rigged an interface or something I can believe for all the errors. Anyway, its just a show and I didn't like it regardless.

Comment

But if the PJ would have been 120% failsave for all situations....

OMG we wouldn't have had an episode like this one, meaning season one would have had one less epsisode.... NOOOOOO!

Comment

here is what the Ancients would do in this situation:

1. They would fix the ship, in a heartbeat.

2. They would twiddle their thumbs, have a nice conversation. Put on their portable space suit, and abandon the ship.

here is what they would not do:

Panic like a wild animal, bickering amongst themselves and mess with the ship hoping that 1 in 1000 chance it will work.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

You know, whenever you watch a show based on fiction, you've got to leave reality aside, and suspend the nit-picking, or you fail to get the point of the show, and that's entertainment.

Writer's are good, but they aren't perfect, and if they followed every single rule of common sense, there would be hardly any shows to watch!

And if we really want to talk about implausible, watch Spiderman 2, the ending was ridiculous.

Spoiler

Immerging a fricking STAR in a river and that solves everything? Uh...I don't think so!

Some liberties are A LOT worse than others. I mentioned this one plot hole to dh last night. I figured there would be a warning that they engine pods hadn't retracted. DH pointed out there may well have been a warning, they just didn't know enough to realize what it was. Good point. The two people flying we don't know if they've got the gene or if they know much about a puddle jumper. It's clear by Ford's instructions that they aren't used to piloting one.
                        sigpic

Comment

They invented gates that can tell the difference between metal and organic matter and if the matter wants to travel through the gate or not, and yet the gate doesn’t understand that organic people travel in metal ships and that those ships can mess up. If the Ancients were fighting the Wraith and using ships to travel through the gate you’d think they would foresee the events of “38 minutes”. Just write a new subroutine that if the ship gets stuck but the people walk through the event horizon then override the rules and spit the people out the other side of the gate. And good move by the Ancients to have an auto-pilot that doesn’t warn the passengers when it doesn’t function properly.
                          If what happened to the Atlantis team happened to the Ancients, they could probably do what Mckay did in a matter of moments.

Maybe the guys that were piloting didn't have the gene, and if it was Shepard piloting he would have gotten some kind of mental warning.

Comment

My question is where are the shields for the Puddle Jumper? The space battle shots from Rising show the weapons fire stricking the Puddle Jumper without any sort of shield "effect" as the SFX guys usually show.

Comment

Because of course the Ancients expected a bunch of kindergardeners to be using their ships 10 million years later without any real understanding of how they work or what the safety systems are.

Yeah. That's dumb.

Comment

Working...
                              X