PDA

View Full Version : Heroes

Pages : [1] 2 3

MarshAngel
May 25th, 2006, 10:50 AM
TV.com summary: http://www.tv.com/heroes/show/17552/summary.html?full_summary=1

Heroes is a serial saga about people all over the world discovering that they have superpowers and trying to deal with how this change affects their lives. The relatable superheroes include Peter Petrelli, a 30-year-old male nurse who believes can fly, Diego Medina, a 28-year-old junkie who has the ability to paint images of the future when he is high, Niki Sanders, a 33-year-old Las Vegas showgirl who can do incredible things with mirrors, Hiro Makamura, a 24-year-old Japanese comic-book geek who literally makes time stand still, D.L. Hawkins, a 31-year-old inmate who can transport himself through walls, and Claire Bennet, 17-year-old cheerleader who defies death at every turn. Not only are they discovering what having superpowers means to them but also the larger picture of where their superpowers come from. Eventually their superpowers draw them together when they try to evade the series' antagonist who wants to harness their super-DNA for himself....

Heroes will air 9pm on Mondayson NBC, starting September 25

It seems there will be a derth of good scifi this fall as compared to fall 2005. And to be honest the last thing we need from any of the major networks is a new show with great potential that they will cancel. And I'm afraid this may be one of them. I'm glad they're still trying though.

I will check it out however even if it is a rip off The 4400 and has completely usurped the spot I would have loved to have seen Surface in.

Blitz
May 25th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Surface not coming back? O_O

MarshAngel
May 25th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Surface not coming back? O_O
Unfortunately yes. They canceled it.

the fifth man
May 25th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Unfortunately yes. They canceled it.

Yep, those idiots. That show was just starting to come together IMO. Oh well, what can you do? I'll probably give this show Heroes a try, until they cancel it too.;)

Trek_Girl42
May 25th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Is the 4400 any good? I noticed the guy from Taken in one of the commercials for it- the real nasty one.

Giantevilhead
May 25th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Claire Bennet, 17-year-old cheerleader who defies death at every turn
Defying death is impressive but can she defy cancellation?

LoneStar1836
May 25th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Is the 4400 any good? I noticed the guy from Taken in one of the commercials for it- the real nasty one.Interesting enough I suppose. I watch it and am waiting for the new season to start June 11. Yeah, I watch it for Joel Gretsch. He plays a good guy on the show though, but he was great in Taken as a bad guy.

Season 3 starts June 11, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to just jump right in. I kind of jumped into the end of season 1 and was kind of confused until I was able to see it from the beginning.

As for Heroes.... Won’t be watching. Don’t think there is any show left on NBC that I still watch. Gave up on ER two years ago and haven’t looked back since though I did catch a few eps of Surface and the finale after I had been watching the repeats on Skiffy.

MarshAngel
May 26th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Is the 4400 any good? I noticed the guy from Taken in one of the commercials for it- the real nasty one.

I think it's a great show, absolutley worth checking out. Interesting that you mentioned Taken, I recently discovered some people refer to 4400 as a followup and call it "Put Back". :)

Trek_Girl42
May 26th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I think it's a great show, absolutley worth checking out. Interesting that you mentioned Taken, I recently discovered some people refer to 4400 as a followup and call it "Put Back". :)
Lol!

Joel Gretsch is great as a bad guy- I'm pretty sure I'm seen him in a few things, but being a good guy.....that's bound to be interesting.:)

I don't even have a clue as to what season we might be at for 4400- I suspect season two hasn't even started yet though. Might catch it sometime when it's on.....

Blue Banrigh
June 8th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Watched the preview on the official site.

http://www.nbc.com/NBC_First_Look/Heroes/

Looks alright, like it has potential. Kinda like Lost crossed with X-men.

Will be watching it for Adrian Pasdar and Franklin from Scrubs. :D

the fifth man
June 8th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I'll definitely be giving this one a try. Not that I really expect NBC to keep it around too long.

ShadowMaat
June 8th, 2006, 12:20 PM
I'm curious about Heroes, but I remain highly skeptical of the producers' ability to make it click and I find the piling on of big name actors to be a little suspicious. Or was Lost the same way? I remember being psyched about Dom, but other than Fox, the names didn't mean much to me.

If they do it right- and if NBC gives them a chance- this could be a good series. I'm not gonna hold Surface's cancellation against it. If the show is good, great! And if it sucks then maybe I'll revel as it goes down in flames. ;)

the fifth man
June 8th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I'm curious about Heroes, but I remain highly skeptical of the producers' ability to make it click and I find the piling on of big name actors to be a little suspicious. Or was Lost the same way? I remember being psyched about Dom, but other than Fox, the names didn't mean much to me.

If they do it right- and if NBC gives them a chance- this could be a good series. I'm not gonna hold Surface's cancellation against it. If the show is good, great! And if it sucks then maybe I'll revel as it goes down in flames. ;)

I'm definitely curious about it too. It sounds like it could have some real potential. But them doing it right, and NBC giving it a proper chance, that's a lot to hope for, you know?;)

JanusAncient
June 8th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Surface canceled, I don't believe it. That's it, I'm never getting my hopes up again, about any new show. Think if they'd canceled The 4400, these people are morons. It sounds familiar, this new show, reminiscent of something, but I don't know quite what. I'll tune in, until the ax is lowered. Off wity ye heads.

MarshAngel
June 8th, 2006, 02:47 PM
The preview definitely looks interesting so I'll definitely be checking it out. I have my doubts though. The odds against success are high. My best hope is for a full season before cancellation.

LoneStar1836
July 11th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Hmm….may have to change my opinion of this show and possibly give it a chance.

I was in Best Buy last week looking at televisions and they ran an extensive commercial preview (possibly the same one on their website but I’m on dial-up and haven’t looked) for the show and it looked pretty interesting.

Course being on NBC, it may not have much of a chance. And if it does manage to last into the second half of the season (Jan-May), is watchable, and doesn’t change time slots, I’d have to resort to taping it since it is in the same time slot as FOX’s 24. Course I had also considered watching FOX's new show, Vanished, which is in the same time slot this fall.

Jumper One
July 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM
It looks good... but it also looks exactly the same as the 4400. I guess I'll give it a try though...

Blue Banrigh
July 11th, 2006, 05:16 PM
It looks good... but it also looks exactly the same as the 4400. I guess I'll give it a try though...
True. I didn't make that connection before. I'd always pegged it as an imitation of Lost (with mutants) on the make up of it's cast.

MarshAngel
September 22nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Thought I'd resurrect this thread since the show premiers on Monday and Scifibrain already has a review up. http://blogs.ign.com/Sci-Fi_Brain/ There are some minor spoilers but not much more than what you would see if you've watched the previews.

I'm a little worried after reading the review. I think they may have gone a little far with the superpowers and stepped into the comic book realm which might not appeal to everyone since it's more fantastic than scientific. Still the review only makes me want to see the show more and according to a TV.com poll it's the show most people are looking forward to.

KillerMercury
September 22nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
I watched the pilot episode on Yahoo!. I mush say, I was very impressed. It moved a little bit slow for me, but it was still very good. You could probably tell 80% of what the pilot is from the comercials, but it's the little twists that make me want to watch the second episode already. Can't wait to see Greg as a cop.

Just leaving a little clue as to what I found very interesting: They're all connected, a la Lost

ShadowMaat
September 23rd, 2006, 05:40 AM
Yeah, I'll be curious to see how that angle plays out. Hope it won't be TOO Lost-like. Monday, eh? I'll have to remember to watch.

LoneStar1836
September 23rd, 2006, 04:19 PM
Found this article on SCI FI Wire while looking for the dates and times that Heroes will air on the Sci-fi Channel. Heroes Also Has Villains (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=38067)

The show will re-air on Fridays at 6pm central time. I'm already watching stuff on Monday so I'm glad they are willing to re-air the eps on SCI FI.

Blue Banrigh
September 23rd, 2006, 11:56 PM
Just leaving a little clue as to what I found very interesting: They're all connected, a la Lost

Let's just hope they don't meander their way through things as much as that show.

Trek_Girl42
September 25th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I have high expectations for this show- hopefully it will deliver. The review in this morning's paper was practically glowing, can't wait. :)

MarshAngel
September 25th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I saw an ad for http://www.brilliantbutcancelled.com/deathwatch/
Basically, the site bets on which show will be cancelled first... such a depressing concept. Heroes is at the bottom with 237:1 odds of success...if I'm reading this right.

ShadowMaat
September 25th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Hmm... I didn't take a close look at that page and I'm not good at reading odds anyway, but I'd say Heroes stands less chance of getting cancelled than, say, Ugly Betty. I'd also put Jericho above Heroes in that category (tho I'm liking Jericho so far).

MarshAngel
September 25th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Oh yeah. I definitely think there are a few things with greater odds of cancellation than Heroes. I've been watching and so far I'm enjoying it. Adrian Pasdar is still hot but could he be more self absorbed?

ShadowMaat
September 25th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Adrian Pasdar has been hot since he played Profit. :D

And OMG! I completely forgot the last 15 seconds of the ep! :eek:

This series has great potential and I have a feeling TPTB may be coherent enough to pull it off.

At least for a while. hehe

MarshAngel
September 25th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Those last few seconds were definitely stunnning. I really did not expect that at all. Definitely an interesting show. I like it much so I'll be tuning in for the next episode.

warmbeachbrat
September 25th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I really, really liked this show. It's intricately plotted and the characters have already piqued my interest. Wow! The ending! I was so not expecting that.

A couple of things: the karaoke--they were performing Backstreet Boys "I Want It That Way". Has anyone seen that video that was going around a while ago of those two Asian college boys lip-synching that song? Truly hilarious. Also, I thought it interesting that the Asian guy talked about the X-Men comic books (especially since everyone is comparing Heroes to the X-Men).

Did anyone watch Mysterious Ways when it was on?

Anyway, LOVED the show and I can't wait until next week!

ShadowMaat
September 25th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Hiro is adorable. Even if he's a bit cliche I still love him to pieces. Definitely my favorite character.

Mohinder is kinda hot. :D I wonder if he'll be like Dr. Hayes in Misfits of Science- sorta corrals the "specials" but doesn't have a power himself.

Not so interested in Cheerleader girl and I'm amazed that her boytoy/loyal puppy failed to realize the obvious:

She was trying to commit suicide. I mean, maybe I'm just silly, but if a friend came to me and said, for instance, "I just drove a knife into my heart and didn't die." I'd be asking (once I was sure it wasn't a joke) why in hell she'd tried to put a knife in her heart. And if she'd tried MULTIPLE Groundhog Daylike attempts to die? I'd be that much more worried. Maybe I'm just strange that way...

Trek_Girl42
September 25th, 2006, 09:22 PM
That was AMAZING! I am so impressed, beautiful, stunning show, if they can keep up this quality we are truly in for a treat. Gonna re-watch the pilot tomorrow. :)

I am liking all the characters- the acting is amazingly strong, the music absolutly lovely, the story engaging- yet leaving plenty of room for the characters to breathe. I decided to pick between this and Jericho which one to watch, Heroes comes out the winner without doubt.

Descent
September 25th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I was really impressed with the pilot...the show kind of has a "Lost" vibe to it in a way. I'm interested in seeing where this goes. ;)

Orion's Star
September 25th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Surprisingly strong pilot episode. It introduced the characters well, set-up a plot that seems will be ongoing throughout the season, and was fairly interesting. It did feel disjointed at times and could use some tightening in places (Stripper mom's story, druggie's story, the whole connection between CreepyDad/Conspiracy).

Hiro: Great character, funny, and liked his enthusiasm. Also liked that they never showed him and his buddy speaking English. Probably the best character.

Claire: Also a very interesting character and her story has a lot of potential, mainly because of her family. She has one of more the practical powers, plus she is just damn cute.

Peter: Probably can't actually fly, his power, I bet, is more along the lines of being an empath or able to sense things from people around him. Could be more interesting because of his brother.

Nathan: A jerk, but still kind of compelling, and hey, he can fly. That was a bit of a shock there at the end when he jumped up to save Peter. Really gave the last 15 or so minutes of the episode real oomph.

Mohinder: Obviously supposed to be Professor X. Should be interesting to see how he manages to gather all the people together.

Nikki: Still am not sure what her power is, but am looking forward to finding out. Also would like to see more of her kid, he seemed cool and oddly not precocious.

MarshAngel
September 26th, 2006, 03:38 AM
I liked Nikki's kid too. That's the kind of kid I can handle. Nikki's a bit of a loner I believe she's not going to want to be a part of any group of heroes/freaks.

I can't help but feel Mohinder's going to wind up dead leaving these people to figure it all on their own.

Descent
September 26th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I loved Hiro and his buddy along with all their geeky pokes at Star Trek. Good stuff. :)

Oreo
September 26th, 2006, 03:49 AM
I was surprised at how good the show was, so I give it 5 episodes before it get's canceled. :)

yaaayoubetcha
September 26th, 2006, 05:37 AM
I loved Hiro and his buddy along with all their geeky pokes at Star Trek. Good stuff. :)

You're death grip, Spock! Death Grip!!

So far, Hiro is my fave as well, but we've yet to see what's his name from Alias. Hopefully he doesn't get shot in the throat again. hehe

Now I did see the end of the ep comming, it's just the sort of thing they do to ensure that there's question about the baddy's motivations. Does he know? Is that why he's searching for Mohinder and his father?

I thought it was well put together and I'm REALLY glad they didn't cram all the characters into one ep.

Love the comic idea from the previews.

On the whole, the show reminded me of a cross tween the Marvel New Universe 'white event' from many many years ago and Lost (so far).

Blue Banrigh
September 26th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Has there been any more clues as to who patient/subject Zero in New York is? There are several of them there and was wondering if I missed anything.

BTW Adrian Pasdar = yay. Still waiting for them to release Mysterious Ways on DVD.

yaaayoubetcha
September 26th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Has there been any more clues as to who patient/subject Zero in New York is? There are several of them there and was wondering if I missed anything.

I didn't see anything on that after the bit in India.

MarshAngel
September 26th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Hmm... I didn't take a close look at that page and I'm not good at reading odds anyway, but I'd say Heroes stands less chance of getting cancelled than, say, Ugly Betty. I'd also put Jericho above Heroes in that category (tho I'm liking Jericho so far).

Maybe I misread the odds... Really not that surprising. I always get these things wrong. I reread it against this morning and now I'm thinking they mean that only one 1 person out of every 230 thinks the show will be cancelled. Which is great if I'm right. Which means that one person out of every 7 thinks ugly Betty is doomed... Someone save me from my own ignorance?

jds1982
September 26th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Surprisingly strong pilot episode. It introduced the characters well, set-up a plot that seems will be ongoing throughout the season, and was fairly interesting. It did feel disjointed at times and could use some tightening in places (Stripper mom's story, druggie's story, the whole connection between CreepyDad/Conspiracy).

Hiro: Great character, funny, and liked his enthusiasm. Also liked that they never showed him and his buddy speaking English. Probably the best character.

Claire: Also a very interesting character and her story has a lot of potential, mainly because of her family. She has one of more the practical powers, plus she is just damn cute.

Peter: Probably can't actually fly, his power, I bet, is more along the lines of being an empath or able to sense things from people around him. Could be more interesting because of his brother.

Nathan: A jerk, but still kind of compelling, and hey, he can fly. That was a bit of a shock there at the end when he jumped up to save Peter. Really gave the last 15 or so minutes of the episode real oomph.

Mohinder: Obviously supposed to be Professor X. Should be interesting to see how he manages to gather all the people together.

Nikki: Still am not sure what her power is, but am looking forward to finding out. Also would like to see more of her kid, he seemed cool and oddly not precocious.

I agree with you that Peter can't fly, and is probably more of an empath. How much would that piss you off, you think you have a cool power, and then you end up with something lame while your "bigger than life" brother gets the cool power.
I loved when Hiro teleported into the bathroom, but I cringed when his friend called him Super Hiro, why with the obvious line?
I kinda think Nikki may be like the Hulk. She has the "dark violent side", and those dudes were pretty tore up, I bet it's all on camera too.

Descent
September 26th, 2006, 06:49 AM
I agree, Peter probably can't fly. Besides, I don't want two people on the show with the same power. Wheres the fun in that? :P

Blue Banrigh
September 26th, 2006, 07:01 AM
I agree, Peter probably can't fly. Besides, I don't want two people on the show with the same power. Wheres the fun in that? :P
Well TPTB have stated that not all their characters are good. It would be interesting for the brothers to explore the opposite aspects of their powers (though how many different facets could there be to flying?)

Okay I've been watching too much Justice League and just think that having two people battling out in the air would be cool.

warmbeachbrat
September 26th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Maybe Peter doesn't even have a power? Maybe he's just unusually connected to his brother? I don't know....

I didn't realize that the creator of Heroes also did Crossing Jordan. I'm a little surprised.

DOIKECARTER
September 26th, 2006, 07:17 AM
TV.com summary: http://www.tv.com/heroes/show/17552/summary.html?full_summary=1

Heroes will air 9pm on Mondayson NBC, starting September 25

It seems there will be a derth of good scifi this fall as compared to fall 2005. And to be honest the last thing we need from any of the major networks is a new show with great potential that they will cancel. And I'm afraid this may be one of them. I'm glad they're still trying though.

I will check it out however even if it is a rip off The 4400 and has completely usurped the spot I would have loved to have seen Surface in.
It´s really sad having to wait 10 months for THE 4400 next season...I´ll fight withdrawal symptoms....and I´d love to see Diana´s Skouris "changed". Remember Kevin shots?

N8ball88
September 26th, 2006, 07:20 AM
I really liked Heroes so far. I would have liked to see a two-hour premiere though. I love the Japanese guy! I recently watched a movie with the healing girl that was a couple years old, and wondered what she was doing now, guess I got my answer. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this show. :)

Descent
September 26th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Maybe Peter doesn't even have a power? Maybe he's just unusually connected to his brother? I don't know...

No, I think Peter has some sort of power. Like people have already said, possibly empath or something.

Trek_Girl42
September 26th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Please don't spoil 4400 in here without using the appropriate tags! The season has only just started in certain other countries! :)

LurkerLa
September 26th, 2006, 08:53 AM
I just finished watching the premiere (stupid work making me have to tape my shows :)), and so far I really like what I see. I'm intrigued, at any rate. Not that I need another show to get hooked on...

If I keep liking it, maybe I'll give Lost and The 4400 a go, given that people are comparing it to them. I've never watched either (lack of time), and maybe I'm a little bit glad of that because I won't be thinking of them as I watch this show.

Right now I'm most interested in Hiro and in the dynamic between Peter and his brother.

jds1982
September 26th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I gotta say if Peter is just an empath, that would suck. It's a really similar power to the telepathic cop we haven't seen yet, but less useful. I kinda think that maybe they'll play it like he's got nothing until the season finale when we'll discover he's got some incredible power. As long as the cheerleader doesn't grow claws I think I'll be watching for awhile.

Enemyone
September 26th, 2006, 09:32 AM
well you guys are forgetting the fact that the guy that sees the furture painted him Flying (peter that is) as far as im concerned he can the more intresting part of it is i think his brother has the potental for evil.

Trek_Girl42
September 26th, 2006, 11:06 AM
well you guys are forgetting the fact that the guy that sees the furture painted him Flying (peter that is) as far as im concerned he can the more intresting part of it is i think his brother has the potental for evil.
Absolutly, I can see Peter being caught in the middle, probably having a tragic ending, becoming a victim of his own generous nature. I very much like the relationship between those two characters so far.:)

Descent
September 26th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Doesn't the show premiere today??

Trek_Girl42
September 26th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Doesn't the show premiere today??
It premiered yesterday- they're repeating it again today. Too bad it's on at the same time as House today though. I'm glad I got it on tape. :)

warmbeachbrat
September 26th, 2006, 11:18 AM
From Laurel's TV Picks:

Rerun of the first episode of Heroes (NBC, 7pm; airs again at 6pm on Friday on Sci-Fi and 10:05pm on Monday on USA). I’ve seen the first three episodes of this new series and I like it quite a bit, though I would caution you that it’s off the charts as far as “The Ick Factor” goes– definitely would earn a PG-13 or R rating in my book (the first episode isn’t quite as gruesome as later episodes).

<<snipped for possible spoilers>>

I like later episodes better than the first one, despite the gory bits (possibly in part because Greg Grunberg joins the cast in episode two). Science fiction fan Tadao Tomomatsu has a small part in the second episode (TV fans may know him best as “Mr. Shake Hands Man” from Banzai).

Trek_Girl42
September 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM
More gruesome then the

Hand in the chopper thing.

Interesting. As long as it's all in "good" taste and not gore for the sake of gore (which I doubt). :)

warmbeachbrat
September 26th, 2006, 11:26 AM
More gruesome then the

Hand in the chopper thing.

Interesting. As long as it's all in "good" taste and not gore for the sake of gore (which I doubt). :)

I wondered when I was watching it...does she not feel any pain?

Trek_Girl42
September 26th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing..... :P

Trek_Girl42
September 26th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Here's some excellent news regarding the ratings:

Heroes attracted quite an audience in its debut showing, getting NBC's highest 18-49 demographic rating for any fall drama in five years.

Here's the press release.

'HEROES' DEBUT PACES NBC'S SECOND MONDAY WIN OF THE NEW SEASON

'HEROES' PREMIERE DELIVERS NBC'S HIGHST 18-49 RATING FOR ANY FALL DRAMA IN FIVE YEARS

BURBANK, Calif. - September 26, 2006 - Paced by the series debut of "Heroes," which posted the highest rating for any NBC drama premiere in five years, NBC won its second Monday night of the 2006-07 season in adults 18-49, according to preliminary "fast affiliate-based" "live plus same day" viewing figures from Nielsen Media Research.

Versus the second Monday night of last season, NBC's performance last night was up by 18 percent in adults 18-49 and up by 10 percent in overall total viewers.

At 9 p.m. ET, the debut of "Heroes" (5.9 rating, 14 share in 18-49, 14.3 million viewers overall) delivered NBC's highest 18-49 for any fall drama premiere in five years (since "Crossing Jordan" on Monday, Sept. 24, 2001). "Heroes" soared above the time period competition in the key demographic of adults 18-49, with a 31 percent margin of victory over second place (5.9 vs. a 4.5 for CBS' comedies). Pending updates, "Heroes" also won the hour in total viewers, among adults, men and women 18-34 and other key measures.

"Heroes" was up 48 percent versus NBC's 2005-06 season average in the time period, excluding sports (5.9 vs. 4.0). From its first half-hour to its second, "Heroes" grew by 13 percent (to a 6.3/15 from a 5.6/14) and by 1.1 million viewers overall.

Pending updates, "Heroes" is within one tenth of an 18-49 rating point of the highest rating so far this fall for any new series premiere, close behind Sunday's debut of "Brothers & Sisters" on ABC. By comparison, "Brothers & Sisters" benefited from a 9.6 lead-in rating in 18-49 from "Desperate Housewives," while "Heroes'" had a 3.8 rating lead-in last night.

http://www.9thwonders.com/

Elwe Singollo
September 26th, 2006, 02:16 PM
well at least Heroes started much better than the sci-fi/fantasy series of last year... all of them.

Descent
September 26th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Great news about the ratings. Of course, there'll be a severe drop but hopefully it'll hold steady.

Trek_Girl42
September 26th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Great news about the ratings. Of course, there'll be a severe drop but hopefully it'll hold steady.
There will probably be a slight drop, but I think it stands a good chance of holding relativly steady- and we can't forget the second showing tonight, I'm sure that will do reasonably well due to word of mouth.

Orion's Star
September 26th, 2006, 05:00 PM
She probably does feel pain, but has either learned to internalize it really well or has a very high tolerance for it.

After all, Wolverine always felt pain. ;)

MarshAngel
September 26th, 2006, 05:41 PM
She probably does feel pain, but has either learned to internalize it really well or has a very high tolerance for it.

And we know the X-Men is the science guide to this series. :) That I find funny and I like that they've established that early or else there would be some explaining to do.

LurkerLa
September 26th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I assumed that the painting was of him falling - after all, the clothing was a match for that scene.

Whatever the case, I do agree that they're setting up a very interesting dynamic between the brothers. Whether they've got the same powers or different ones, I'm looking forward to seeing how that relationship plays out.

the fifth man
September 26th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I definitely enjoyed the premiere. Too bad it wasn't 2 hours, but the limited commercials were pretty cool. I'll definitely be checking this show out further.:)

Lida
September 26th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Other than the fact the show was a tad reminiscent of The 4400, I thought it was well done, from a writing, directing and casting view point. I too will tune in again, and see how the dynamics begin to develop.

Arative
September 27th, 2006, 05:47 AM
The paragraph at the very begining reminded me of the 4400, the rest of the episode reminded me of a cross between the 4400 and X-men. If they start naming themselves, like Indestrucible Girl or Super Cheerleader, I'll probably quit watching. I liked the fact that the Japanese guys talked Japenese, although it stands to reason since they live in Japan but it shows, like Lost, the writers aren't playing down to the lowest common denominator in the audience and dumbing down the show.

I thought the pilot was on the slow side but there was a lot of information to convey to us. I also thought that it was fairly gory for a 9:00 pm time slot, I mean one guy was torn in half, don't see that very often on primetime. Overall I liked the show and I hope it builds on the mythology it is trying to create, rather than having a hero of the week.

Enemyone
September 27th, 2006, 06:14 AM

All things considered I didnt get that she felt pain and if so she felt a heck of alot less then Wolverine. I came to this conclusion becasue of the whole Ribbs sticking out thing she didnt even notice them until her friend pointed them sticking out. Thats Something Wolverine would have noticed at least in every comic i ever saw him in and i have been collecting for years.

Her learning to internalize would take longer then 8 death attempts though she just got these powers Unlike Logan who (cannot remember how old he is) has had them and has been trained for who knows how long. I think her healing power is close to but not quite the same as Wolverine's.

Trek_Girl42
September 27th, 2006, 07:11 AM
I loved the fact that Hiro spoke in Japanese (I like subtitles!)- and I really like the multi-racial aspect of the show, that definitly works very well. :)

Descent
September 27th, 2006, 07:12 AM
I loved the fact that Hiro spoke in Japanese (I like subtitles!)- and I really like the multi-racial aspect of the show, that definitly works very well. :)

You should watch Lost then. :P ;)

Trek_Girl42
September 27th, 2006, 07:27 AM
You should watch Lost then. :P ;)
If I have a nickel every time someone said that to me..... :P

Enemyone
September 27th, 2006, 08:26 AM
If I have a nickel every time someone said that to me..... :P

but at this point if you havent been watching Lost and you tried you would be so......well........LOST. i hate lost myself

Trek_Girl42
September 27th, 2006, 08:41 AM
but at this point if you havent been watching Lost and you tried you would be so......well........LOST. i hate lost myself
Exactly- I'm sure I'd love it, but I don't have time to catch up. :)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 27th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I thought it was a pretty good pilot (even though I already saw it before Monday's airing because I downloaded it from iTunes free). I can't wait until this weeks episode because Greg "The Man" Grunberg is joining the cast.

Trek_Girl42
September 27th, 2006, 08:53 AM
I thought it was a pretty good pilot (even though I already saw it before Monday's airing because I downloaded it from iTunes free). I can't wait until this weeks episode because Greg "The Man" Grunberg is joining the cast.
Free? Is it still there- free? :D

Thermonuclearboy
September 27th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I like it so far. Although I have a few objections:

- Why does being indestructible cause angst? I mean, if I were an indestructible teenager, the last thing I'd be is all mopy and sad about it. Hell, I might have taken up skateboarding...wait, maybe that's not such a good thing.

- Apparently there are still Trekkies roaming free in Japan. I thought they were extinct by now.

- I wonder if it's a statement on American culture that this father and son were brilliant geneticists in their native India...and they come here and have to drive a cab. Maybe they're just trying to lay low or something...

ShadowMaat
September 27th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Maybe Cheerleader Girl's life is so excruciatingly painful that she's beyond feeling physical pain. :P

Heh. She looked like she was feeling it when she stuck her hand in the garbage disposal, but not so much when she pushed her rib back into place. The fact that she didn't even know it was sticking out is the worst part, IMO...

Arative
September 27th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I like it so far. Although I have a few objections:

- Why does being indestructible cause angst? I mean, if I were an indestructible teenager, the last thing I'd be is all mopy and sad about it. Hell, I might have taken up skateboarding...wait, maybe that's not such a good thing.

Everyone knows that teenagers are all mopy and sad 100% of the time!! If they don't have some sort of angst then they aren't really teenagers. :)

silence
September 27th, 2006, 11:42 AM
well at least Heroes started much better than the sci-fi/fantasy series of last year... all of them.

well... all 3 shows were pretty much similar (if you think Invasion, Surface and Threshold) and all of them sucked.
Invasion had material for ONE normal length movie - it was dragging like snail
Threshold started great, but became like each ep is rerun - too repetative
Surface was lame (didnt watch it at all after first 2-3 eps), couldnt stand it...

OTOH, Heroes... meh, i LOVE it. It's fresh, characters are damn interesting and there is so much to cover... i am so glad that they went with "normal" people who discover their abilities and i really didnt see _other_ brother being able to fly, that was real shock...

I loved scenes in Japan, that was so much fun.

This one is certainly getting on my watch list.... i didn't even know about it, until i noticed this topic and ...urm... checked if it's on ;)

/me likey very much
:D

Trek_Girl42
September 27th, 2006, 11:51 AM
well... all 3 shows were pretty much similar (if you think Invasion, Surface and Threshold) and all of them sucked.
Invasion had material for ONE normal length movie - it was dragging like snail
Threshold started great, but became like each ep is rerun - too repetative
Surface was lame (didnt watch it at all after first 2-3 eps), couldnt stand it...

OTOH, Heroes... meh, i LOVE it. It's fresh, characters are damn interesting and there is so much to cover... i am so glad that they went with "normal" people who discover their abilities and i really didnt see _other_ brother being able to fly, that was real shock...

I loved scenes in Japan, that was so much fun.

This one is certainly getting on my watch list.... i didn't even know about it, until i noticed this topic and ...urm... checked if it's on ;)

/me likey very much
:D
Absolutly agree, personally, I was blown away by how wonderful that pilot episode was, this show has the potential to be something truly special, I hope it gets the chance (so far ratings are good, lets hope they hold).

ShadowMaat
September 27th, 2006, 03:03 PM
According to Futon Critic (http://www.thefutoncritic.com/pr.aspx?id=20060926nbc03), Heroes garnered NBC's highest 18-49 ratings for any drama premiere in the past five years. Granted, the numbers could drop off, but I have a feeling this show is here to stay. At least for a while. :P

silence
September 27th, 2006, 04:10 PM
According to Futon Critic (http://www.thefutoncritic.com/pr.aspx?id=20060926nbc03), Heroes garnered NBC's highest 18-49 ratings for any drama premiere in the past five years. Granted, the numbers could drop off, but I have a feeling this show is here to stay. At least for a while. :P

great news... i can't wait to see how will plot progress.
really great TV....

the fifth man
September 28th, 2006, 11:49 AM

I sure hope it's here to stay for a while. I'm sick of good shows getting canned.

Nolamom
September 29th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Way fun. Good premise in the way the characters "find" their abilities. I'm liking it. Also liking having the option of seeing it on SciFriday - works better for me with my work schedule lately!

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 29th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Free? Is it still there- free? :D
If you mean free is $1.99 then yes it is Free. I'm lying, it's not free anymore, it'll cost ya $1.99

jds1982
September 29th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I'm curious about why they are all discovering their powers now.

ShadowMaat
September 29th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I'm curious about why they are all discovering their powers now.
Promo stuff for the show hinted that it has to do with the solar eclipse, although why that should be significant is beyond me. They're unusual, but they aren't THAT rare, are they? And why all over the world when some parts won't even SEE the eclipse? Or not the full effect, anyway.

Guess we'll have to keep watching to find out. :P

Trek_Girl42
September 29th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Guess we'll have to keep watching to find out. :P
That usually does the trick. :P

White Knight
September 29th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I rather liked the pilot, which is strange because generally I don't like pilots. The premise isn't exactly new (it smacks of X-Men) but the characters and the abilities themselves are certainly intriguing enough for me to watch the next few episodes.
I also like the whole 'six-degrees' element of the show, with most of the characters being connected in some ways.

ShadowMaat
September 29th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Looks like Claire (the Unbreakable Cheerleader) has a page on myspace (http://myspace.com/clairebennet), as does her unobservant friend Zach (http://www.myspace.com/zachtothefuture).

I'm still not sure how I feel about all this interactive stuff (Hiro has a blog, too (http://blog.nbc.com/hiro_blog/)). It's fun to gain some extra insight into the characters, but on the other hand.... sometimes it's nice to just sit down and watch a damn show and not have to worry about what you're missing by not hunting down a million different clues online. :rolleyes:

creed462
September 30th, 2006, 07:34 AM
The show seem to be a good watch

the fifth man
September 30th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Looks like Claire (the Unbreakable Cheerleader) has a page on myspace (http://myspace.com/clairebennet), as does her unobservant friend Zach (http://www.myspace.com/zachtothefuture).

I'm still not sure how I feel about all this interactive stuff (Hiro has a blog, too (http://blog.nbc.com/hiro_blog/)). It's fun to gain some extra insight into the characters, but on the other hand.... sometimes it's nice to just sit down and watch a damn show and not have to worry about what you're missing by not hunting down a million different clues online. :rolleyes:

I can barely find time to watch some shows sometimes, so I know not to even try and deal with interactive content online. Just enjoying the show itself is good enough for me in most cases.

Blue Banrigh
October 1st, 2006, 07:56 PM
I wonder who gets to write these blogs. Is it panned out to one of the writers or some assistant in the office.

Trek_Girl42
October 1st, 2006, 09:55 PM
I wonder who gets to write these blogs. Is it panned out to one of the writers or some assistant in the office.
Always wondered that as well.....

Lida
October 1st, 2006, 10:20 PM
I can barely find time to watch some shows sometimes, so I know not to even try and deal with interactive content online. Just enjoying the show itself is good enough for me in most cases.

I so agree. These so called bloggers are getting out of control. The quality of the writer, for the most part, leaves a lot to be desired...and content, I'm even going to go there. Spend a few days in a studio that is actively shooting a series, and you develop a new found respect for every member of the cast and crew. This is NOT a nine to five job, and I am amazed at the quality of the final product. Sorry if some of you don't agree. Anyone can blog, not everyone can write, produce , act or direct a major TV series or movies. My hats off to the men and women behind the scenes.....

Trek_Girl42
October 2nd, 2006, 04:07 PM
New episode tonight! Can't wait to see what Greg Grunberg's character is like! :D

o-0
October 2nd, 2006, 04:10 PM
this show isnt gonna last long..i mean, there's only one bad guy...they shouldve made this into a movie instead of a tv series

MarshAngel
October 2nd, 2006, 05:05 PM
Am I the only one who didn't notice that Claire's Dad was Suresh's passenger?

ShadowMaat
October 2nd, 2006, 05:12 PM
Am I the only one who didn't notice that Claire's Dad was Suresh's passenger?
Yes. :P He was also the guy in the apartment in India.

MarshAngel
October 2nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Yes. :P He was also the guy in the apartment in India.
damn people and their interchangeable heads. This is no way due to my obliviousness... clearly the man is generic.

ShadowMaat
October 2nd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Well, I've been taking it as fact that the guy in India was Evil Glasses Man. I mean, they both wore glasses. And they're both clearly evil.

He is kinda generic, though. Meanwhile...

I love gun-wielding pixie girl. Hope she's recurring. She reminds me of me. Except she can cook. ;)

MarshAngel
October 2nd, 2006, 06:07 PM
Well, I've been taking it as fact that the guy in India was Evil Glasses Man. I mean, they both wore glasses. And they're both clearly evil.

He is kinda generic, though. Meanwhile...

I love gun-wielding pixie girl. Hope she's recurring. She reminds me of me. Except she can cook. ;)

I love the fact that she didn't put that gun down. Seemed rather attached to it.

Well... the first episode wasn't a fluke. It's still good.

You'd think manga and anime violence would have prepared Hiro for a missing brain. Clearly he should have watched more American law shows... I thought everyone knew not to pick up the gun with the blood next to it.

I feel like I'm seeing mushroom clouds left and right on TV. I've seen so many nuclear weapons explode in the past two weeks it's a little disturbing.

ShadowMaat
October 2nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
OMG, that was TOTALLY WICKED!!

Super Hiro continues to be my fave character and HOLY CRAP!! What was all THAT about?? Obviousy they've got to stop Sylar before he kills Isaac and before November... 8? When the bomb Isaac predicted goes off.

Dude. D'you think it's one of the nukes from Jericho? ;)

Awesome stuff. I'm loving Matt, poor loserish ******* that he is. Blonde Cop Chick is someone I've seen before. Joan of Arcadia?

Claire's evil twin is becoming more helpful. She accomplished quite a lot in four hours.

Daddy Dearest gets creepier every time we see him. Do you think he really adopted her? Or did her parents hand her over to him for safekeeping? Or was she taken from them? Are they alive and unaware she's there, or did Daddy kill them?

And YYYAAAAAYYYY!!!! THE FLYING PETRELLI BROTHERS!!! That ROCKS!! Wheee! Can't wait for next week! :D

IMForeman
October 2nd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evil Siler the brain eater... I never knew Walter had it in him.

Pixie Girl:

Mohinder just fell for the oldest trick in the book. She's so totally evil.

Hiro:

Hiro is awesome. I'd love to have his powers.

Peter:

Horray! He can fly! singing...He can fly, he can fly, he can fly, he can fly...

Isaac:

He's not missing the hand he hacked off in the screener. He will be missing the old noodle if these shadows remain unaltered.

Claire:
Is totally gross. She's also heading for heartbreak when Daddy tries to off her or use her.

Nikki

Bar none, the most enigmatic character in a long time. I can't even begin to figure out what's going on with her just yet.

This show is looking really great right now. I personally found Surface really disappointing, and the 4400 to be a little needlessly messianic, but Heroes is really cool so far.

ShadowMaat
October 2nd, 2006, 06:25 PM
I share your feelings about Pixie Girl.

I don't wanna, but I do. *sigh* Mohinder is gonna be heartbroken when he finds out she's been playing him all along. She still rocks the casbah, though. :D

Speaking of Surface, was it just me or was that the same narrator? And was Pixie Girl the demon from Supernatural?

IMForeman
October 2nd, 2006, 06:38 PM
I share your feelings about Pixie Girl.

I don't wanna, but I do. *sigh* Mohinder is gonna be heartbroken when he finds out she's been playing him all along. She still rocks the casbah, though. :D

Speaking of Surface, was it just me or was that the same narrator? And was Pixie Girl the demon from Supernatural?

No, she's not Demon girl from Surface. She's cute, though.

But, Mohinder, man... never trust the pretty girl who comes to your rescue just at the right moment. And she found that hard drive right at the right time. And found the Professor's messages.

Oldest trick in the book.

jds1982
October 2nd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Um Walter and Siler are two different people. The blonde cop is Clea DuVall, she was Stokely in "The Faculty". I agree the cute pixie girl is probably a plant, but I hope she isn't. It's too bad there wasn't more of the cop's story, but I'm so happy Peter can fly. I think ShadowMaat was referring to Nikki's evil twin, and I think she probably has multiple personalities, with the alternate personality being the one that has the ability to use her super power, which is probably super strength.

IMForeman
October 2nd, 2006, 08:21 PM
Um Walter and Siler are two different people.

Oh, yeah? When was the last time you saw them together?!?

Ok, leave me alone. I'm tired!

;)

Trek_Girl42
October 2nd, 2006, 09:09 PM
Loved the episode! GREAT ENDING! And I love Parkman, poor guy. :)

And the scene on the rooftop

Where Peter "flew" so cool! But is he actuallly flying? Or could his brother be telekinetic?

Loved Pixie Girl as well. :)

Orion's Star
October 2nd, 2006, 10:52 PM
This episode was very very awesome. This is how you should follow up a Pilot in order to maintain your initial audience gain from a Pilot. The ending was fantastic and really made the somewhat slow build-up to Hiro's revelation totally worth it.

The Flying Petrelli Brothers: Awesome. It was great to see Pete hover but I am still not sold on Pete actually having the ability to fly solely on his own. I still think he could have some kind of Rogue-like ability where he somehow absorbs powers from other people. It was also nice to get more backstory on his family, it makes you wonder if maybe he isn't actually a little mentally unstable.

Claire: Still love her. In fact, like her more now than before. She has the most interesting personal relationship on the show so I am looking forward to seeing how the whole adoption plot plays out.

Nikki: Probably the most bizarre and mysterious character so far. I am absolutely boggled and intrigued about how her story is unraveling. She is very scary and I can't figure out how everything seems to be set-up just so.

Matt:It's Weiss! I can't believe he got arrested. That was one of the lamest parts of the episode for me. There was no reason to arrest him, just because he was making the cop uncomfortable. Looking forward to seeing how he gets out of the jam.

Hiro:Still the best. Made a rookie mistake though by picking up the gun. But his enthusiasm and moving into the future to see the explosion was just plain the highlight of the episode. I think watching Hiro refine his powers will be the best part, and possibly, the focus of each episode.

Speculation: I imagine that the season is now going to take place in the span of about five weeks. Either that or something major will happen to prevent the explosion (during sweeps of course). Mohinder will figure out how to pin down the location of all the Super Friends and then something will happen with his new friend.

the fifth man
October 2nd, 2006, 11:04 PM
Great second episode last night.:) This show continues to hold my attention. It's sad how fast the hour went by for me with this one. At least we have a set date on the show now for what is supposed to happen.

IMForeman
October 3rd, 2006, 04:33 AM
I agree that Peter's power may be to emulate others powers. He gains flight after being around Nathan using that power. He draws a picture of the future after being around Isaac after a major precognative event. He also drew the genetic pattern from Professor Suresh's notes.

The pattern was also in numerous paintings by Isaac in the future Hiro visited.

silence
October 3rd, 2006, 04:49 AM
wow... this show is fantastic. Hiro rules.
I totally didn't expect that ending... i was just WTF!??!!?...
I can't believe how many great ideas writers have and there is simply no way you can even imagine what might happen in next ep... that's my kind of show...

I haven't been this enthustiastic about a new show for long... great, really great.

Blue Banrigh
October 3rd, 2006, 05:07 AM
I agree that Peter's power may be to emulate others powers. He gains flight after being around Nathan using that power. He draws a picture of the future after being around Isaac after a major precognative event. He also drew the genetic pattern from Professor Suresh's notes.

He did? When did he do that?

I recall the pattern in one of the paintings in Isaac's studio, but not Peter drawing it.

And Pixie Girl, totally evil spy.

Anybody know when Leonard Roberts is going to turn up?

Hiro still rocks.

Thermonuclearboy
October 3rd, 2006, 05:08 AM
Matt:It's Weiss! I can't believe he got arrested. That was one of the lamest parts of the episode for me. There was no reason to arrest him, just because he was making the cop uncomfortable. Looking forward to seeing how he gets out of the jam.

Actually, he demonstrated he knew things about the crime he shouldn't have, just standing around outside. That's probable cause to be arrested. Either he's telepathic or he's in on the crime...and the latter is more likely in the detective's mind

Interesting points:

- Notice how Claire was the only person interested in how the train wreck victim was doing; not even the girl who took responsibility for the rescue cared. Very high school. Very real.

- This mysterious Siler is Patient Zero? The first superhuman to evolve is a murderous sociopath? Interesting...

- Was I the only one having Dead Zone flashbacks at the final scene in this episode?

So let's break it down:

Claire = Painkiller Jane
Peter = Rogue
Nikki = She-Hulk

Erm...that's all I can think of. My comic-book fu is weak.

Blue Banrigh
October 3rd, 2006, 05:13 AM
Matt = Charles Xavier?

Trek_Girl42
October 3rd, 2006, 07:31 AM
Great second episode last night.:) This show continues to hold my attention. It's sad how fast the hour went by for me with this one. At least we have a set date on the show now for what is supposed to happen.
I know! My Dad was watching as well and when it ended he's like "It's over already?" :P

IMForeman
October 3rd, 2006, 10:42 AM
He did? When did he do that?

I recall the pattern in one of the paintings in Isaac's studio, but not Peter drawing it.

And Pixie Girl, totally evil spy.

Anybody know when Leonard Roberts is going to turn up?

Hiro still rocks.

It's in the upper right hand corner of his stick figure drawing of him an Nathan on the roof.

The Ori
October 3rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
Just saw the second episode, oh my god what a twist already on the second episode ahhh, my god finally a good fantasy series!! Unlike mutant X which was whack!! Hiro by far is my favourite character, he's funny as well!! And the soundtrack has been impressive so far as well!! And yeh that episode finished way to quick!!

The Ori
October 3rd, 2006, 12:28 PM
I think Leonard Roberts in the 3rd Episode, check his name on episodeguides.com

DEM
October 3rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
Is it Monday yet?

Wow. Totally excellent show. I'm hooked.

I do hope they continue to spread the time around equally among the cast.

I noticed that Clea DuVall was in the cast list in the Yahoo!TV listings. The only other time I've seen (or noticed) a guest star listed with the regular cast was with Teryl Rothery, so I'm hoping that means DuVall will be recurring. There would seem to be a need for law enforcement official types anyway.

re: Nikki. I agree that it's probably the case that she's been doing a lot of stuff on the sly for a while now. For one thing, those skeletons -- which I assume were her doing -- were old; for another thing, no way she accomplished all of that stuff -- including buying and registering a car! -- in 4 hours.

Can't recall whether this was mentioned here or elsewhere, but that pattern was also in the floats in that family's pool.

Is it Monday yet?

yaaayoubetcha
October 3rd, 2006, 03:12 PM
not to sound to north american centric...but since most everybody that comes to this thread has generally seen the show and discusses the eps they've just watched and wants to know what's going on...do we really need to spoiler everything?

just wondering as it's pretty darn irritating scrolling down a whole page of nothing but buttons.

ShadowMaat
October 3rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
Get a mod to change the thread title if it bothers you, but otherwise I plan to continues using spoiler tags- especially since I'm on the East Coast and see eps before the West Coast and I've seen people scream long and hard (and justifiably) when eps are ruined for them by incosniderate Easties not bothering to tag things. :)

Trek_Girl42
October 3rd, 2006, 04:45 PM
Get a mod to change the thread title if it bothers you, but otherwise I plan to continues using spoiler tags- especially since I'm on the East Coast and see eps before the West Coast and I've seen people scream long and hard (and justifiably) when eps are ruined for them by incosniderate Easties not bothering to tag things. :)
Thanks for mentioning that- had it happen yesterday, without thinking looked in here and actually opened a spoiler trag before thinking of the time difference. :P

But maybe that was just general stupidity on my part. ;)

Blue Banrigh
October 3rd, 2006, 06:32 PM
It's in the upper right hand corner of his stick figure drawing of him an Nathan on the roof.
Thanks, missed that the first time.

the fifth man
October 3rd, 2006, 09:01 PM
I just can't wait to find out how this second episode did in the ratings.

DEM
October 4th, 2006, 05:00 AM
It did well. Led its timeslot. from tv.com:

At 9 p.m., Heroes led in with a 5.3 rating, followed by CBS's comedies with a combined 4.8--Two and a Half Men with a 5.2 at 9 p.m. and The New Adventures of Old Christine with a 4.5 at 9:30 p.m. ABC's two-hour Bachelor in Rome kicked off with a 3.3, followed by a 2.3 for Fox's Vanished. The CW saw another uptick for Runaway, to .08 from last week's .07.

Descent
October 4th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Nice. There wasn't such a big drop after all. :D

Trek_Girl42
October 4th, 2006, 07:26 AM
It did well. Led its timeslot. from tv.com:
At 9 p.m., Heroes led in with a 5.3 rating, followed by CBS's comedies with a combined 4.8--Two and a Half Men with a 5.2 at 9 p.m. and The New Adventures of Old Christine with a 4.5 at 9:30 p.m. ABC's two-hour Bachelor in Rome kicked off with a 3.3, followed by a 2.3 for Fox's Vanished. The CW saw another uptick for Runaway, to .08 from last week's .07.
Good! Anyone remember what exactly last week's ratings were? Completly forgotten..... :o

DEM
October 4th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Trek_Girl42, from MediaWeek (http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newsletters/proginsider/index.jsp)

... week two of NBC’s ... Heroes lived up to its title. Heroes averaged a comfortable 9.4/14 in the overnights (#2), 12.57 million viewers (#2) and a first-place 5.3/13 among adults 18-49, building from lead-in Deal or No Deal by a hefty 43% among adults 18-49. Retention for Heroes from its week-ago premiere (Overnights: #1, 9.7/14; Viewers: #1, 14.10 million; A18-49: 31, 5.9/14 on Sept. 25) was also solid at 97% in the overnights, 89% in total viewers and 90% among adults 18-49.

silence
October 4th, 2006, 09:34 AM
if there is any show that deserves more seasons.. this is the one.
it was just ep2 and it already has a twist to blow your mind.

i just can't wait for more.... great writing and thinking.
dunno... never seen anything like this, prolly best TV currentlly....

ShadowMaat
October 4th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I've heard there's a twist at the end of the next ep that's gonna blow the socks off everyone. Haven't read the relevant spoilers, but I'm looking forward to whatever it is. :)

Trek_Girl42
October 4th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I've heard there's a twist at the end of the next ep that's gonna blow the socks off everyone. Haven't read the relevant spoilers, but I'm looking forward to whatever it is. :)
hehe read that as well, can't wait! :D

Tempis
October 4th, 2006, 07:49 PM
It's on at a terrible time slot.... Opposite Monday Night Football is almost asking NBC to cancel the show. Why not on Tuesdays, or any other night of the week?

o-0
October 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
i like the show so far, but the special effects when the 2 brothers fly is kind of pathetic..

the fifth man
October 4th, 2006, 11:12 PM

Hmmm, interesting. I can't wait to see what that twist is too.:) I'm definitely enjoying this show so far.

Trek_Girl42
October 6th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Excellent news!

NBC Picks Up 'Heroes' For Full Season
digitalspy.co.uk is reporting that NBC has given a full season order to breakout hit Heroes (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds37845.html).

Nine more episodes of the supernatural saga have been ordered, bringing the total for the season to a full 22.

"Heroes has delivered exceptional ratings since it's premiere and we're even more impressed with the quality of the upcoming episodes," said NBC entertainment president Kevin Reilly. "We have complete confidence in creator-executive producer Tim Kring. The best is yet to come over the course of a full season with this newest drama sensation."

http://blogs.ign.com/Sci-Fi_Brain/

MarshAngel
October 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM
That's great news. I hope it gets through at least two whole seasons.

And in other news, the makers of the garbage disposal Claire shoved her hand into is supposedly suing Heroes for defamation or some such nonsense. http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/nbc/cheerleadermangling-disposal-makers-vs-heroes-now-with-pictures-205559.php
Is it wrong to be so amused when they're clearly so very upset?

In retrospect, that scene was really gross. Claire has had quite a few of those. Everytime I think of her I'm going to be thinking of blood, guts and dislocation.

Trek_Girl42
October 6th, 2006, 02:24 PM
That's great news. I hope it gets through at least two whole seasons.

And in other news, the makers of the garbage disposal Claire shoved her hand into is supposedly suing Heroes for defamation or some such nonsense. http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/nbc/cheerleadermangling-disposal-makers-vs-heroes-now-with-pictures-205559.php
Is it wrong to be so amused when they're clearly so very upset?

In retrospect, that scene was really gross. Claire has had quite a few of those. Everytime I think of her I'm going to be thinking of blood, guts and dislocation.
Read about that..... *shakes head* :rolleyes:

It seems in America, anyone will sue anyone if they think they can get something out of it..... :S

Descent
October 6th, 2006, 03:06 PM
It seems in America, anyone will sue anyone if they think they can get something out of it..... :S

Ain't that the truth. :rolleyes:

MarshAngel
October 6th, 2006, 03:14 PM
In fact, I'm thinking of suing you right now for defaming America and my right to sue as an American citizen....we still have rights right? The way things are going, one can never be sure.

The lawsuit is just silly. I wouldn't be surprised if it's their way of marketing. ie. making sure that people connect their name to a hit series, stir up some controversy, make themselves memorable. Maybe lawsuits are cheaper than advertising these days? :rolleyes:

ShadowMaat
October 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
It IS marketing. I think it was mentioned somewhere that the company was also pissed that they weren't making any money off the product placement, or something stupid like that.

As an American, I gotta say, sometimes my country really embarrasses me. :P

But hey- Heroes is good! And it's an American made product (more or less). So, woohoo! :D

jds1982
October 6th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Wow. I'm not in the market for a garbage disposal, but if I were I think I would purposely avoid buying one from that company, simply because it's run by idiots. Despite what some people may think, there is such a thing as negative publicity.

the fifth man
October 6th, 2006, 08:21 PM
As an American, I gotta say, sometimes my country really embarrasses me. :P

But hey- Heroes is good! And it's an American made product (more or less). So, woohoo! :D

Only sometimes?;) Happens to me more than I'd like.

No doubt, Heroes is good. So far anyways. It definitely has my attention.

MasySyma
October 6th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Ok, can someone explain what I am missing? I've noticed that many of you whose posts I respect enjoy Heroes, and I don't appear to be on the same wavelength.

I find it slow, boring, and redundant. I mind that after two hours few of these mutants know each other yet, and the Teleporter boy is the only character I find remotely interesting.

I find the show an X-Men ripoff similar to Mutant X. So what are you seeing that I'm not?

the fifth man
October 6th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Ok, can someone explain what I am missing? I've noticed that many of you whose posts I respect enjoy Heroes, and I don't appear to be on the same wavelength.

I find it slow, boring, and redundant. I mind that after two hours few of these mutants know each other yet, and the Teleporter boy is the only character I find remotely interesting.

I find the show an X-Men ripoff similar to Mutant X. So what are you seeing that I'm not?

Just boils down to personal taste, I guess.:) To me, I feel that, so far anyways, Heroes is way superior than Mutant X was. And actually, I think it is supposed to have that kind of X-Men feel to it. I don't mind that one bit actually.

jds1982
October 6th, 2006, 08:41 PM

Maybe it's just not your cup of tea. I like it because I've always wanted to discover my latent superpowers. Of course most of them don't know each other yet, they're from different places hundreds, if not thousands of miles away from each other. It's supposed to be a massive story, an epic if you will, where many different characters lives are affected. Do you think everyone with polydactaly knows each other? In many cases these people aren't quite sure what's happening to them, so they have no reason to seek out others like them. By the way, Mutant X was awful, and obviously was an X-Men ripoff, but I think Heroes is different.

Trek_Girl42
October 6th, 2006, 08:47 PM
"Mutant X was awful" Now there's an understatement..... :P

jds1982
October 6th, 2006, 09:02 PM

And yet it lasted several seasons, did it not? But then again so did V.I.P.

the fifth man
October 6th, 2006, 09:09 PM
And yet it lasted several seasons, did it not? But then again so did V.I.P.

Isn't it amazing? Bad shows sometimes stay on way longer than they should, and good shows sometimes end long before their time. What a world.

MarshAngel
October 7th, 2006, 05:54 AM

I think we're seeing potential and a pretty decent approach. It's not original but I don't think it needs to be. Mutant X was just poorly written, the characters were incredibly dull and their abilities kinda sucked to be frank. The characters in Heroes are much more interesting. Mutant X failed to bring the comic book feeling into the show which covers for all sorts of wierdness. Unlike Mutant X they also don't seem to be afraid to take the abilities over the top into the realm of actually being interesting. electric shocking is so passe. ;)

Also this show takes things a little further. It's darker, grosser and funnier. It's all the little things. Better sets, better characters, better efects etc.

Blue Banrigh
October 7th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Like what Fifth Man said, it boils down to personal taste.

I like that they are simply people with powers rather than superheroes. They don't have that public persona, the batcave, superslinky gadgets or costumes and that works for me. :D

It'll be cool to watch how each person affects the world around them and how each change accumulates to the slavation (or destruction) of the world.

ShadowMaat
October 7th, 2006, 08:28 AM
You don't have to be on the same wavelength, any more than WE all have to agree with the things that YOU like. ;) As was said, it's a matter of personal preference. Me, I like the show and think it's a lot of fun, but I wouldn't expect EVERYONE to enjoy it any more than I'd expect everyone to hate season 10. Mileage varies, as do interests and tolerance levels. *shrug*

One of my best friends is a die-hard Sam/Jack shipper, but even though I'm virulently anti-ship, we still manage to get along great. If we agreed on everything I think it'd be a little creepy. :P

Trek_Girl42
October 7th, 2006, 08:41 AM
I like that they are simply people with powers rather than superheroes. They don't have that public persona, the batcave, superslinky gadgets or costumes and that works for me. :D
That's one of the reasons why I like this show so much- more then X-Men, or Batman, or Spiderman, because it is a little more "realistic", these characters are the everyday people, it's just that their talents are little different from ours. I do really like traditional comic book heroes, but all of the baggage does sometimes get a little tireing, In this show I love seeing real people that I can relate to- because how many people can actually identify with Superman :)

MasySyma
October 7th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I think we're seeing potential and a pretty decent approach. It's not original but I don't think it needs to be. Mutant X was just poorly written, the characters were incredibly dull and their abilities kinda sucked to be frank. The characters in Heroes are much more interesting. Mutant X failed to bring the comic book feeling into the show which covers for all sorts of wierdness. Unlike Mutant X they also don't seem to be afraid to take the abilities over the top into the realm of actually being interesting. electric shocking is so passe. ;)

Also this show takes things a little further. It's darker, grosser and funnier. It's all the little things. Better sets, better characters, better efects etc.

Interesting. I agree with everything you said about Mutant X. I also appreciate everyone's comments. I may try to give it another shot, but thank you for your perspectives. If we agreed on everything, it would be frightening, but I enjoy that we could discuss the show without anyone fearing bashing. :)

Perhaps I'm just getting too cynical. I'm tired of watching good shows get canned (Dead Like Me, SG-1) or fail to receive enough attention (Doctor Who) or start strong and just die slowly (Andromeda, SGA). With Heroes, I haven't seen a reason to be invested yet, but perhaps that will come.

Trek_Girl42
October 7th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Perhaps I'm just getting too cynical. I'm tired of watching good shows get canned (Dead Like Me, SG-1) or fail to receive enough attention (Doctor Who) or start strong and just die slowly (Andromeda, SGA). With Heroes, I haven't seen a reason to be invested yet, but perhaps that will come.
I figure "canned" isn't the right word for SG-1 "laid to rest at middle age" might be more suitable. :P

Jonzey
October 8th, 2006, 03:30 AM
I think what I like about Heroes is that unlike other Superhero things (Superman, Xmen and so on), it's heavily reliant on being set in the modern world. Those other shows are too far-fetched and set in a fantasy world, but heroes (while still pretty far fetched) focuses more on the fact that these are normal people you could walk past every day who are developing abilities. And it's different from the 4400 because at the moment they're not linked in any way.

Hatcheter
October 8th, 2006, 12:07 PM

I get what you're saying, in that I didn't find the pilot as engaging as many folks seem to have. I couldn't decide if they did too much in the pilot, or not enough. It's a bunch of individual threads of stories that have yet to intersect, and I thought there might have been too much at the start.

I sat through the second episode wondering if I was really going to give this show any serious attention. Then the last twist with Hiro came up, and that got me to sit up and take notice. It looks like the show's TPTB have a plan, and probably a very good idea of exactly what they're doing, so I'll stick around to see it play out.

the fifth man
October 8th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I get what you're saying, in that I didn't find the pilot as engaging as many folks seem to have. I couldn't decide if they did too much in the pilot, or not enough. It's a bunch of individual threads of stories that have yet to intersect, and I thought there might have been too much at the start.

I sat through the second episode wondering if I was really going to give this show any serious attention. Then the last twist with Hiro came up, and that got me to sit up and take notice. It looks like the show's TPTB have a plan, and probably a very good idea of exactly what they're doing, so I'll stick around to see it play out.

Well, looks like those individual stories are going to be intersecting real soon. And that should be something after the setup stuff thus far.

Yeah, that scene with Hiro at the end of last week, IMO, was a signal that things are going to be speeding up a lot now. TPTB of this show definitely have a plan.

ShadowMaat
October 8th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Well, there've already been a few small things. Micah reading 9th Wonders (and Hiro having a 9th Wonders/Uluru screensaver), Hiro's friend watching Nikki's strippercam, Peter and Scary Glasses Man both getting a ride from Mohinder (tho not together), and some sharp-eyed viewer spotted Sylar (http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=3146599&view=findpost&p=6238581). Possibly.

DEM
October 8th, 2006, 02:32 PM
GaH, ShadowMaat! This show may just get me to get back into TWoP again! Curses! :p

ShadowMaat
October 9th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Well... I think Claire's scenes pretty much prove why the show isn't on an hour earlier. Mega squickage. Question about that:

Are we to infer that the QB succeeded in raping her, or was she still in the process of escaping when she "died"?

I still love Hiro. I've started to think he's going a bit overboard, now, but I still love him. :)

I also feel like saying "HA! I WAS RIGHT!" Because folks on the TWOP board poo-pooed my theory that Hiro was going to Vegas but now it turns out I was right. :P

And the last line of the comic? "We're on our own from here" or whatever it was? Refers to the fact that, having reached the end of the comic, Hiro can no longer predict what's going to happen or what their moves should be.

Eat humble pie, naysayers. :P

DEM
October 9th, 2006, 09:04 PM
"Holy **it!"

ShadowMaat, re: Claire, I thought it was the latter.

man, i want to go watch this again....

Trek_Girl42
October 9th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Wow.....that was some ending.....must watch again.

And Nathan, such a......politician.

And did anyone else notice that the black man in the bar was wearing a necklace with the same wavy line with the double stripes through it?

silence
October 10th, 2006, 01:13 AM
i noticed part you mention in spoiler... but did you notice that that guy was only whose thoughts that cop couldnt hear/read...

Hiro still rules, totally... ending with Claire was one big DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

this show gets better and better.... i just cant wait for next fix... week seems so long...

Arative
October 12th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Well... I think Claire's scenes pretty much prove why the show isn't on an hour earlier. Mega squickage. Question about that:

Are we to infer that the QB succeeded in raping her, or was she still in the process of escaping when she "died"?

I still love Hiro. I've started to think he's going a bit overboard, now, but I still love him. :)

I also feel like saying "HA! I WAS RIGHT!" Because folks on the TWOP board poo-pooed my theory that Hiro was going to Vegas but now it turns out I was right. :P

And the last line of the comic? "We're on our own from here" or whatever it was? Refers to the fact that, having reached the end of the comic, Hiro can no longer predict what's going to happen or what their moves should be.

I don't believe that the QB suceded in raping her, think she pushed him off before that happened. The autospy scene was almost too much. Guess we know why she'll be leaving her hometown now, hope she gets revenge on the QB before she goes though.

Trek_Girl42
October 12th, 2006, 11:22 AM
i noticed part you mention in spoiler... but did you notice that that guy was only whose thoughts that cop couldnt hear/read...

Yeah, I wondered if he's Siler, but Siler was white, or at least the guy who supposedly was Siler was white. Really curious as to who this guy is. And love that necklace, so want one!

the fifth man
October 12th, 2006, 06:24 PM
This show is just getting better and better.:) I can't wait to see things continue to unfold.

IMForeman
October 12th, 2006, 07:06 PM
My Sylar theory:

Sylar didn't kill Chandra Suresh. Sylar IS Chandra Suresh.

Trek_Girl42
October 12th, 2006, 07:22 PM
My Sylar theory:

Wondered that, but dismissed it- however, now that you bring it back up again.....I'm beginning to wonder. It could explain some sort of ability for him to get out of that car accedent. And it would explain the hiring of such a recognizable actor as Erik Avari for just a photo on a book jacket.

silence
October 13th, 2006, 05:27 AM
My Sylar theory:

hmmm.. interesting, makes you think. i am not convinced, but it is possible.
dr. Jekyll and mr. Hyde??
that would be kinda interesting, cause
we saw that Siler managed to track many more people with abilities and it is obvious he is killing them (at least to me) for some unknown reason (for now ;))

creed462
October 13th, 2006, 07:22 PM
It was good, but it will be more intersting when there stories converge

jds1982
October 13th, 2006, 08:50 PM

I'm pretty sure the QB didn't rape Claire, unless he's into necrophilia. I think Siler has a similar power to Peter's, in that he seems like a power leach. Siler appears to be able to keep the powers, which might come with maturation of said power, or as my friend suggested, Siler is able to keep powers by eating the brains of his victims.

White Knight
October 13th, 2006, 10:27 PM
My Sylar theory:

Then how did Syler and Chandra talk to each other on the phone?

IMForeman
October 14th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Then how did Syler and Chandra talk to each other on the phone?

Easy. Pick up your phone. Now talk in your normal voice. Then answer yourself in a creepy voice. Any nutjob could do that.

the fifth man
October 14th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Easy. Pick up your phone. Now talk in your normal voice. Then answer yourself in a creepy voice. Any nutjob could do that.

Are you calling me a "nutjob"?:D

Sci-Fi
October 15th, 2006, 12:29 AM

lol...actually Mutant X was pretty popular with the 13-25 age group. The actors were only signed for 3 years, and the studio (Fireworks Entertainment) producing Mutant X (and Andromeda) declared bankruptcy, so cancellation was almost a foregone conclusion after the 3rd season. Mutant X's Nielsen ratings were better than Andromeda's, but since Andromeda was on longer and had a bigger library (5 seasons), the SFC bought the entire Andromeda series (all the episodes and rights) and helped finance the last season.

Believe the Sony copyright lawsuit against Fireworks Entertainment about the series "Queen of Swords" had something to do with that studios financial collapse. If you haven't seen the "Queen of Swords" series, check it out if it ever airs again, it was pretty good, well written, and good acting...it was about a female Zorro. The DVD set is very rare and was sold in limited quanties directly to fans from Fireworks Entertainment.

Peoples_General
October 15th, 2006, 01:23 AM
As much as I like the individual stories and the plot of this new show... I have but 1 gripe with it....

Apologies in advance for making this a racial issue.... but...

WHY IN HELL DID THEY CHOOSE TO REPRESENT AN ASIAN (MALE) CHARACTER IN THE MOST STEREOTYPICAL WAY POSSIBLE???

Geez... that guy reminds me of something across William Hung, and Long Duck Dong from 16 Candles... I am getting sick of these stereotypical representations!!!

According to Hollywood... Asian guys must be represented as either some asexual martial arts heros (note that the Hong Kong versions actually has the hero with a girl)... while IF there is a girl... theirs only friendship rather than romance-relationship. The other "representation" of us is of some kind of nerd/geek. And thats when they are the heros or protagonists of the story.

The only good Hollywood story with Asian guy was Anna and the King... no special martial arts skill, nothing geeky... just an intelligent man, who has a family, MANY children, a loving father, he cares about his country to outsmart 2 colonial powers into leaving Siam (Thailand) alone, feels regret for his mistakes/misdeeds, tries to atone for it.... and he gets the girl, "Mrs. Anna".

But I guess it's good, coz if it was an Asian female.. she'll be yet another Madaam Butterfly or "Me Love You Long Time" girl... :rolleyes:

--------

Personally, here's how I see it... It's almost as if they (writers and producers) are making us seem undesirable (to the female audiences) on the TV and the big screen, cos they are afraid of more of this... :lol:

But this is all my opinion and rant. :P

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Peoples_General/Filipino-AmericanandWhite-Austraili.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Peoples_General/CrystalwitAsianboyfriend.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Peoples_General/101892037103_0_ALB.jpg

Blue Banrigh
October 15th, 2006, 02:59 AM
A question about Peter's prescient dreams.
Were they his own powers or did he unknowingly come into contact with a mutant who could tell the future and absorbed their ability?

jds1982
October 15th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Were they his own powers or did he unknowingly come into contact with a mutant who could tell the future and absorbed their ability?

Yes the painter who can tell the future.

jds1982
October 15th, 2006, 10:06 AM
As much as I like the individual stories and the plot of this new show... I have but 1 gripe with it....

Apologies in advance for making this a racial issue.... but...
WHY IN HELL DID THEY CHOOSE TO REPRESENT AN ASIAN (MALE) CHARACTER IN THE MOST STEREOTYPICAL WAY POSSIBLE???

Geez... that guy reminds me of something across William Hung, and Long Duck Dong from 16 Candles... I am getting sick of these stereotypical representations!!!

According to Hollywood... Asian guys must be represented as either some asexual martial arts heros (note that the Hong Kong versions actually has the hero with a girl)... while IF there is a girl... theirs only friendship rather than romance-relationship. The other "representation" of us is of some kind of nerd/geek. And thats when they are the heros or protagonists of the story.

The only good Hollywood story with Asian guy was Anna and the King... no special martial arts skill, nothing geeky... just an intelligent man, who has a family, MANY children, a loving father, he cares about his country to outsmart 2 colonial powers into leaving Siam (Thailand) alone, feels regret for his mistakes/misdeeds, tries to atone for it.... and he gets the girl, "Mrs. Anna".

But I guess it's good, coz if it was an Asian female.. she'll be yet another Madaam Butterfly or "Me Love You Long Time" girl... :rolleyes:

--------

Personally, here's how I see it... It's almost as if they (writers and producers) are making us seem undesirable (to the female audiences) on the TV and the big screen, cos they are afraid of more of this... :lol:

But this is all my opinion and rant. :P

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Peoples_General/Filipino-AmericanandWhite-Austraili.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Peoples_General/CrystalwitAsianboyfriend.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/Peoples_General/101892037103_0_ALB.jpg

I'm sure it wasn't meant to stereotype Asian males, more likely to stereotype comic book geeks. Let's face it in this show, you really need at least one comic book geek, it just so happens they made the Japanese guy the geek, and there's nothing wrong with being a geek. Look at Hiro's friend though, he's really none of those stereotypes you mentioned, he's more or less a regular guy. I could ask why they made Claire the stereotypical cheerleader who just wants to be a part of the crowd, well the popular crowd, but I think it just happens to fit the character. The world of comic books thrives on archetypes, and these characters represent not only comic book archetypes but real world archetypes.

ShadowMaat
October 15th, 2006, 10:56 AM
My take on the characters? They're all stereotypes, to some degree, but the stereotypes are then turned around- twisted- adding new dimensions to the cliches.

Is the Japanese Comic Geek a stereotype? Sure, but so's the Popular Blonde Cheerleader. And the Cold Oily Politician. And the Stripper with a Heart of Gold. The Drug-Addicted Artist.

Don't act like Hiro's the only cliche on the show.

For me? The cliches work. I like how the characters are turning out- and how they aren't always exactly what you'd expect. I'd wager there's a lot more to Hiro, too, and we'll see it in the upcoming weeks. ...Just as we'll see more of ALL the characters- their hidden facets and false facades.

And sterotype or not, Hiro is undoubtedly one of the most-loved characters on the show. He speaks to the geek in all of us- Japanese, American or otherwise- and I don't think that's something to condemn.

Trek_Girl42
October 15th, 2006, 11:01 AM
My take on the characters? They're all stereotypes, to some degree, but the stereotypes are then turned around- twisted- adding new dimensions to the cliches.

Is the Japanese Comic Geek a stereotype? Sure, but so's the Popular Blonde Cheerleader. And the Cold Oily Politician. And the Stripper with a Heart of Gold. The Drug-Addicted Artist.

Don't act like Hiro's the only cliche on the show.

For me? The cliches work. I like how the characters are turning out- and how they aren't always exactly what you'd expect. I'd wager there's a lot more to Hiro, too, and we'll see it in the upcoming weeks. ...Just as we'll see more of ALL the characters- their hidden facets and false facades.

And sterotype or not, Hiro is undoubtedly one of the most-loved characters on the show. He speaks to the geek in all of us- Japanese, American or otherwise- and I don't think that's something to condemn.

I absolutly agree- there's a right way to use a cliche, and a wrong way. So far, the creaters of Heroes have done a great job of taking these cliches, and twisting them. The show probably wouldn't work without them, it would certainly lose much of its comic book "aura".

Hatcheter
October 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM

I've seen it speculated (in this thread?) that Peter might be taking on the abilities of other gifted people he comes in contact with. For example, he doodled this in the hospital, a short while after having met the future-seeing artist:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Hatcheter/Heroes/drawing.jpg

Later, in the presence of his brother, who certainly can fly, he did it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Hatcheter/Heroes/doing.jpg

Of course, this might be completely off the mark, but I like the idea.

Trek_Girl42
October 15th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I've seen it speculated (in this thread?) that Peter might be taking on the abilities of other gifted people he comes in contact with. For example, he doodled this in the hospital, a short while after having met the future-seeing artist:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Hatcheter/Heroes/drawing.jpg

Later, in the presence of his brother, who certainly can fly, he did it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Hatcheter/Heroes/doing.jpg

Of course, this might be completely off the mark, but I like the idea.
I really like that idea to- that drawing one went over my head, great catch. :)

Peoples_General
October 15th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah, but the thing is it's ALWAYS being done to us time and again... and HEROS is continuing that "tradition". That's whats annoying...

Im sure there'll be an out cry from the African-American community if all the roles that prominent Black actors like Denzel Washingon, Morgan Freeman, Samuel Jackson, and others could play were street gangsters, drug dealers, or some other form of criminal.

If a person who did not live in a diverse community, and the "knowledge" they had of Asians were the bad depictions they saw in TV and the movies... do you think they'll be so welcoming and open-armed to an Asian who happens to pass-by, or move into their town? I think not...

Sometimes programming can enforce negative racial stereotypes, and that can cause problems in social situations.

I've been to certain parts of the US (including here in the Northeast), where Im travelling with my bestfriend (she's from Russia)... and sometimes we would get the weirdest looks from people. She and I generally ignore these things, but there has been times when idiots would walk up to us and ask her "what are you doin with this ch!nk?"... :rolleyes: :mad: W...T...F...?

"He's my husband!" Then she shows her ring. Then the idiots leave... LOL! :P That woman always knows how to diffuse a situation. :D

-----------

The morons who made HEROS say that they wanted to reach a global audience and that this show can appeal to everyone? HAHAHAHAHAHA... lets see how the BILLIONS of people in Asia will respond to how they are portrayed.

Another reason why I love StarGate is how they portrayed Lord Yu. :D Sure he's supposed to be a bad guy, but he's borderline Tok'Ra anyhow and has worked with SG1 on a number of times. He's no geek, and no kung-fu legend either... No, he's a statesman. If only they had a younger character or played my a younger actor... not to mention get "Terminatored" by RepliCarter... he'd probably be in Ba'al's place right now, and without the coniving-ness of Ba'al.

:yu:

Hatcheter
October 15th, 2006, 01:48 PM
If a person who did not live in a diverse community, and the "knowledge" they had of Asians were the bad depictions they saw in TV and the movies... do you think they'll be so welcoming and open-armed to an Asian who happens to pass-by, or move into their town? I think not...

People who base all their perceptions of cultures and races on fictional TV characters are already ignorant or indifferent, so this won't matter a bit. Hollywood doesn't often care about how they portray Americans to America, so how can they be expected to accurately portray the rest of the world?

Besides, I think it's safe to assume that "geek" is a personality type found, in one form or another, in all cultures. The "comicbook geek", at least, is commonality for the US and Japan. If anything, Hiro represents a bridge between two cultures.

the fifth man
October 15th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I really like that idea to- that drawing one went over my head, great catch. :)

At the time, that went over my head too. Until I watched the ep again, anyways.:)

I so can't wait until tomorrow night's installment. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter of this story.

Trek_Girl42
October 15th, 2006, 02:24 PM
At the time, that went over my head too. Until I watched the ep again, anyways.:)

I so can't wait until tomorrow night's installment. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter of this story.
I know! I love thinking of the show that way, it really does seem to be unfolding like a novel/graphic novel, which I think is very cool. :)

the fifth man
October 15th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I know! I love thinking of the show that way, it really does seem to be unfolding like a novel/graphic novel, which I think is very cool. :)

I totally agree.:)

Blue Banrigh
October 15th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Yes the painter who can tell the future.

But he had the dreams before he met the painter and the painter didn't have dreams, he went into a drugged trance and painted the future.

jds1982
October 15th, 2006, 07:45 PM
But he had the dreams before he met the painter and the painter didn't have dreams, he went into a drugged trance and painted the future.

He had dreams of flying, which is the power his brother has. They established in the first episode that Peter and his brother have a special connection. So he was dreaming of his brother flying at first, then he drew the future after meeting the artist. Besides T.V. guide also revealed that Peters ability is in fact to steal others powers.

Peoples General, sure some people on T.V. are going to be stereotypes, it happens, but the fact is not all the Asian people on the show have been portrayed as stereotypically Asian, Hiro's friend conforms to no Asian stereotype known to me. As ShadowMaat said, most of the main characters are stereotypes of something, I prefer archetypes, which fits in well with the comic book feel of the show. I have some questions, are some Asian people geeks? Is it within the realm of possibility that a Japanese man would look and act like Hiro? I'm sorry you feel that Asians are always stereotyped as being martial arts masters (which is cool by the way), or geeks. I don't think this is always the case, I can't believe I'm going to bring it up, look at The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. Those Asian people didn't seem to be martial arts masters or nerds, although I admit I'm only going from commercials because I didn't see the movie, and I pity those poor *******s who did. By the way you forgot the Yakuza stereotype.

jds1982
October 16th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Another great episode. I laughed hysterically when that guy puched Hiro in the face. We finally got to see "Dark Nikki" in action. Great ending too, Hiro from the future looks pretty bad ass.

ShadowMaat
October 16th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Hmmm.... And Hmmm.... again.

I wonder how Claire is going to explain the accident.

What's up with Hiro? Must be pretty far in the future for him to speak English so flawlessly. And the katana? Dude.

Niki and Nathan. Do you think it's Nathan that's gonna be snagged? And will the fact that Niki's (or ikiN's) attack will be on film will make a difference to anything? And at least the issue of what happens when ikiN takes over has been settled. Mostly. But is MPS really a super power?

Isaac and the eyes. Yeep. And next week it looks like Peter gets the same treatment. Double yeep.

It's finally starting to come together. Must say, the show is handling this "confluence of events" very well. Not too fast, not too slow, and with a good mix of semi-believeable coincidence thrown in.

Nolamom
October 16th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I enjoyed tonight's episode. Things are converging slowly. I'm liking the the way the characters are both comic book appropriate yet real somehow. It's refreshing.

Goddess
October 16th, 2006, 06:57 PM
So I started watching this show on Fridays because Stargate's on break and umm Milo's hot. I wasn't pleasantly suprised to find this is actually a fantastic show. Unfortunately I missed last Friday's episode! :cry: I'm too cheap to spend two bucks on iTunes (it's not like it's Stargate FCOL!). So if somebody could just kind of sum up any major events so I'm ready to go for this Friday's (or tonight if your watching on NBC). I'd love you forver. Grazie.

ShadowMaat
October 16th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I've been playing on TWOP and apparently...

Some people are having serious issues with Claire's attempt to murder RapeJock. What's the consensus here?

Personally, I cheered her on. The rape attempt wasn't accidental, he'd done it before, implied that he'd do it again and to top it all off, he killed her. It MAY have been accidentaly at first, but then he STRIPPED her and THREW HER BODY IN THE RIVER. Those are not nice things to do.

Should she have gone to the police? With what evidence? It'd be her story against his, and he's SUPERJOCK! He's a hero and he's going to win the championship game. No way they'd rule against him, even if she DID have evidence. And even if the other girl (or three) came forward, I don't see it making a bit of difference except that the girls' names would be dragged through the mud, they'd be called all sorts of names (in addition to slut) and utimately they'd be dismissed and forgotten and RapeJock would go right back to raping girls and winning games.

Murder may be wrong, but there are some cases where I'd condone it and rape is one of them.

the fifth man
October 16th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Another great episode for this show. I'm very impressed with how things are really starting to take shape. I can't wait to see what next week has in store for us. That ending was simply amazing. I never saw that coming.:)

DEM
October 16th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Fuh Fuh Fuh Fuh Fuh! This is my new favourite show.

Shadow, The best way to describe how I feel about Claire's actions is that I neither condone nor condemn them. I'm ambivalent. If I had to choose pro or con, I'd go with pro.

NikiN and Claire are both freaking me the heck out.

Sponge Boy and Shuresh Jr were a tad impersistent. Tsk.

Horned Rim Dad is evil incarnate. Claire needs to be getting the heck out of Dodge.

Trek_Girl42
October 16th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Oh my god....yet another awsome ep! Loved the ending, crazy, and so frustrating...want it to be monday now!

Loved future Hiro! And it's so cool to see all of the characters coming together! We didn't get much of Matt today though. :(

As for Claire.....wow...don't know what to think.....the guy deserved it though.

LadyBozi
October 16th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I love this show soo freakin' MUCH!! I swear! LOL.. =]

If you guys want there is HEROS forum (http://www.superhiro.org/index.php)

I think my favorite charatcers are Hiro, Peter, and Clair ...

Im really starting to dislike Nathan..

LadyBozi
October 16th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Loved future Hiro! And it's so cool to see all of the characters coming together! We didn't get much of Matt today though. :(

As for Claire.....wow...don't know what to think.....the guy deserved it though.

yup. That guy DID deserve it... espcially after he was talking to her in the car about it...*******. And Future HIRO is soo awesome! I LOVE Him. He looked like a full blow superhero! haha.. =] He said that Peter has a scar... hmmm.... sounds yummy lol.

the fifth man
October 16th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I love this show soo freakin' MUCH!! I swear! LOL.. =]

If you guys want there is HEROS forum (http://www.superhiro.org/index.php)

I think my favorite charatcers are Hiro, Peter, and Clair ...

Im really starting to dislike Nathan..

Hiro and his buddy are definitely my favorites so far.:)

I think a lot of people dislike Nathan, so far anyways. Hopefully, now that he'll be forced to acknowledge his powers, he'll become more likeable. At least I sure hope so.

LadyBozi
October 16th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Hiro and his buddy are definitely my favorites so far.:)

I think a lot of people dislike Nathan, so far anyways. Hopefully, now that he'll be forced to acknowledge his powers, he'll become more likeable. At least I sure hope so.

...Thats what I though...up until tonigh the fact that he loves his wife and cheated on her.... eww... Sleezebag. =/ Not HERO qualities.

BTW.. I'm sure everyone has thought of x-men while watching this... Claire is Wolverine lol..anddd... Peter is Rogue?? lmao.

Trek_Girl42
October 16th, 2006, 09:25 PM
yup. That guy DID deserve it... espcially after he was talking to her in the car about it...*******. And Future HIRO is soo awesome! I LOVE Him. He looked like a full blow superhero! haha.. =] He said that Peter has a scar... hmmm.... sounds yummy lol.

Future!Hiro is like.....the coolest! Words can not explain how cool he is! And I didn't think I could possibly like the character any more then I already did!

Peter with a Scar.....now that is intreguing (sp?). :D

LadyBozi
October 16th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I made some icons! hehe
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/ajla/peterPAN.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/ajla/allherosbannericon.png
This one has the F-Bomb on it lol..soo I'll put in under spoilers http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/ajla/HiroFyea.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/ajla/indistructoclair.png

jds1982
October 16th, 2006, 09:34 PM

That guy certainly did deserve something, I don't know if he deserved to be killed. Castrated definitely, but killed? Did Hiro have a Katana, I wasn't sure if it was a sword or a bow?

the fifth man
October 16th, 2006, 09:38 PM
That guy certainly did deserve something, I don't know if he deserved to be killed. Castrated definitely, but killed? Did Hiro have a Katana, I wasn't sure if it was a sword or a bow?

It sure looked like a sword to me. Soooo cool!:D Waiting a week to see the next chapter is going to be such a pain.

LadyBozi
October 16th, 2006, 09:40 PM

Maybe hes not dead. I don't think he is.. actually ..lol. But if he is.. I think it would give Clair a lil bit of a twist.. If he is dead.. Would she realize later it was wrong? Maybe Tell Hiro to go to the past and Warn her old self.lol. You never know

Trek_Girl42
October 16th, 2006, 09:49 PM
It sure looked like a sword to me. Soooo cool!:D Waiting a week to see the next chapter is going to be such a pain.

Swords are awsome! Can't wait to see if he actually uses it.....and how he learns to use it. :P

Did I mention that I love Future!Hiro?!

This show just keeps getting better. :)

Orion's Star
October 17th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Did I miss something?

When did Nathan get a wife and two kids (I am positive he said he had a wife and kids)? I don't remember them ever being mentioned before in any previous episode. I always thought he was all by himself. Was he just lying because it's his normal jackass way or have these people been mentioned before?

MarshAngel
October 17th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Did I miss something?

When did Nathan get a wife and two kids (I am positive he said he had a wife and kids)? I don't remember them ever being mentioned before in any previous episode. I always thought he was all by himself. Was he just lying because it's his normal jackass way or have these people been mentioned before?

He's never mentioned the kids before but he did mention the wife in the previous episode.

ShadowMaat
October 17th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Actually, I'm liking Nathan more, now.

I usually condemn infidelity and I hate it as a plot device, but... Adrian Pasdar. So yummy. :) And I can't shake the feeling that he's going to turn out to be a good guy in the end. I think the conversation about flying is what won me over.

MarshAngel
October 17th, 2006, 05:10 AM

I usually condemn infidelity and I hate it as a plot device, but... Adrian Pasdar. So yummy. :) And I can't shake the feeling that he's going to turn out to be a good guy in the end. I think the conversation about flying is what won me over.

I really hope he isn't a good guy... not a villain but not a good guy either. He does bad so much better. I missed this version of him so much. He's such a good sleaze.

Arative
October 17th, 2006, 05:11 AM
I've been playing on TWOP and apparently...

Some people are having serious issues with Claire's attempt to murder RapeJock. What's the consensus here?

Personally, I cheered her on. The rape attempt wasn't accidental, he'd done it before, implied that he'd do it again and to top it all off, he killed her. It MAY have been accidentaly at first, but then he STRIPPED her and THREW HER BODY IN THE RIVER. Those are not nice things to do.

Should she have gone to the police? With what evidence? It'd be her story against his, and he's SUPERJOCK! He's a hero and he's going to win the championship game. No way they'd rule against him, even if she DID have evidence. And even if the other girl (or three) came forward, I don't see it making a bit of difference except that the girls' names would be dragged through the mud, they'd be called all sorts of names (in addition to slut) and utimately they'd be dismissed and forgotten and RapeJock would go right back to raping girls and winning games.

Murder may be wrong, but there are some cases where I'd condone it and rape is one of them.

RapeJock got what he deserved but it was too quick of a death, should have slowly burned him to death, not like the fire could hurt Claire. I liked seeing the other side of Nikki, not sure if she is just like a she-hulk or just a split personality that is a bad ass. Her kid bugs me though but then I never like the know more than they should kids. Hiro rocks, quickly becoming my favorite character and future Hiro rocks even more.

Thermonuclearboy
October 17th, 2006, 06:13 AM
I guess I'm the only one who wasn't impressed with Future-Hiro...

It just seems like such a cliche that when a character meets his future self, the future self is a total bad-ass. I mean, it's been done before. Although it's nice to see that Hiro's powers have grown stronger with age; he's now able to freeze time and pull someone else in with him.

At the risk of sounding like a terrible comic-book geek, I think Claire's comic analogue is Painkiller Jane rather than Wolvervine. Claire has one power: she's indestructible. She doesn't have claws or is prone to berserker rages or anything. She's more like Painkiller Jane, who would get seriously f-ed up every issue, then get up and walk away.

silence
October 17th, 2006, 08:08 AM
great ep.... when you think they can't add new twist, they do it.
week between eps is way too much ;)
i wish they would air them daily... this show is really great.

Hatcheter
October 17th, 2006, 08:23 AM

In episode 3he said something to the effect of "my brave wife would be here if she could". Makes it sound like she's a cancer patient, or some such thing.

I wonder if they're going to explain how the various gifted people have all come to adopt the strange f-clef symbol.

ShadowMaat
October 17th, 2006, 10:05 AM
I've been avoiding spoilers, but I've heard hints dropped about the wife.

They say she's a total *****. I dunno how accurate that is, especially given Nathan's comments at the conference, but then again, he also said that Pete tried to commit suicide, so... *shrug* I do hope we get to meet her some day.

Pasdar IS good at the bad guys and I love Profit as much as the next geek, but having the politician be rotten is just so painfully cliche I don't want to see it happen.

Now, if he'd been cast as Claire's daddy... THAT would have rocked all kinds of awesome. :D But as one of the Flying Petrelli's? He's not my choice for the one to go darkside.

Hatcheter
October 17th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Now, if he'd been cast as Claire's daddy... THAT would have rocked all kinds of awesome. :D But as one of the Flying Petrelli's? He's not my choice for the one to go darkside.

Heh. I'm wondering what will happen to Peter when he comes in contact with Sylar. It's bound to happen at some point, right? ;)

IMForeman
October 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I guess I'm the only one who wasn't impressed with Future-Hiro...

It just seems like such a cliche that when a character meets his future self, the future self is a total bad-ass. I mean, it's been done before. Although it's nice to see that Hiro's powers have grown stronger with age; he's now able to freeze time and pull someone else in with him.

At the risk of sounding like a terrible comic-book geek, I think Claire's comic analogue is Painkiller Jane rather than Wolvervine. Claire has one power: she's indestructible. She doesn't have claws or is prone to berserker rages or anything. She's more like Painkiller Jane, who would get seriously f-ed up every issue, then get up and walk away.

You're forgetting what you know of Hiro.

He's one of us. He's a comic book/Sci-Fi nerd. He'll want to appear like his future self is a bad-ass. He wouldn't want to go into the past looking like the same old Hiro. So, he'd put on a dark coat, whip on a superfluous sword that he really doesn't need, and grow a little chin divot. He's TRYING to look all Future/Matrix. He knows he can get away with it with someone who doesn't know him.

Scarred Peter probably knows Hiro's a geek, and would laugh at the get up.

All that makes Hiro just cooler in my book.

Hatcheter
October 17th, 2006, 11:16 AM

I think you're overlooking two important details. 1. Future Hiro came back in time to meet Peter Patrelli, not Past Hiro.

2. That episode made it clear that Peter takes on the abilities of other gifted people when he's in their presence. I saw that as Peter taking on Hiro's ability to keep moving when time froze around him.

Hatcheter
October 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM
You're forgetting what you know of Hiro.

He's one of us. He's a comic book/Sci-Fi nerd. He'll want to appear like his future self is a bad-ass. He wouldn't want to go into the past looking like the same old Hiro. So, he'd put on a dark coat, whip on a superfluous sword that he really doesn't need, and grow a little chin divot. He's TRYING to look all Future/Matrix. He knows he can get away with it with someone who doesn't know him.

Scarred Peter probably knows Hiro's a geek, and would laugh at the get up.

All that makes Hiro just cooler in my book.

LOL! That hadn't crossed my mind, but I love that idea. If you want to convince someone of a pending dark/post-apocalyptic future, look like the expected resident of a dark/post-apocalyptic future.

jds1982
October 17th, 2006, 12:38 PM
You know I just had a freaky idea, what if Sylar is future Peter? What if he goes nuts, absorbs Hiro's power and goes back in time to become a serial killer? Just a thought.

ShadowMaat
October 17th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Not sure I buy into the "Peter is Sylar" theory. Or the "Papa Suresh is Sylar" theory. Or the "Evil Glasses Man is Sylar theory" Or... well, you get the idea. ;)

For now I'd like to think of Sylar as his own entity, although the idea of him being ANY of the characters can lead down some interesting paths. I did like someone's theory that Pixie Girl is Sylar, but that only works if he has shape-changing in his bag of tricks.

It will be interesting to see if Peter retains anything after his recent encouter- he wasn't in Isaac's presence when he drew the rooftop scene, after all- or if a "source" really does need to be physically present in order for him to do anything.

I still think Peter going darkside would be more interesting than Nathan doing so. But then... given that final scene it kinda indicates Peter stays on the side of Good. *sigh* What a pity.

jds1982
October 17th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Not sure I buy into the "Peter is Sylar" theory. Or the "Papa Suresh is Sylar" theory. Or the "Evil Glasses Man is Sylar theory" Or... well, you get the idea. ;)

For now I'd like to think of Sylar as his own entity, although the idea of him being ANY of the characters can lead down some interesting paths. I did like someone's theory that Pixie Girl is Sylar, but that only works if he has shape-changing in his bag of tricks.

It will be interesting to see if Peter retains anything after his recent encouter- he wasn't in Isaac's presence when he drew the rooftop scene, after all- or if a "source" really does need to be physically present in order for him to do anything.

I still think Peter going darkside would be more interesting than Nathan doing so. But then... given that final scene it kinda indicates Peter stays on the side of Good. *sigh* What a pity.

Unless Hiro came back to warn Peter against going evil. You know change his path while he's still a good guy.

ShadowMaat
October 17th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Unless Hiro came back to warn Peter against going evil. You know change his path while he's still a good guy.
Dunno. I think the message may simply be, "Save the cheerleader, save the world" since that's supposed to be a big theme of some sort. Although I'd have to smack him if that was his message, 'cos that is MIGHTILY unhelpful.

Might be interesting if Hiro was the one to go darkside and thus sowed misinformation back into the timeline. I would be sad, though, because SuperHiro rocks my geeky little world. :)

the fifth man
October 17th, 2006, 09:44 PM
This is one of the things I'm really coming to love about this show - there are just so many possibilities. And after each week, you're left wanting more and more.

Thermonuclearboy
October 18th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Dunno. I think the message may simply be, "Save the cheerleader, save the world" since that's supposed to be a big theme of some sort. Although I'd have to smack him if that was his message, 'cos that is MIGHTILY unhelpful.

Heh heh. Didn't Stargate mention that once? Like, if you're going sending a message back in time to change the future, you want to cause as little collateral damage as possible, so the message has to be simple and slightly vague. Like "Don't go to this planet," rather than, "Don't go to this planet because a race of overlords will cause the extinction of the human race under the guise of offering new medical knowledge."

Kirath
October 18th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Does anyone else get the feeling that Nathan has known about his powers for a while now. I think he's used his powers before and it scares the hell out of him. As for Nathan telling everyone at the party Peter committed suicide from his perspective he had two choices: let his political opponents do so in the most negative way possible or let Peter go around telling everyone "Hey. we can fly".

the fifth man
October 19th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Does anyone else get the feeling that Nathan has known about his powers for a while now. I think he's used his powers before and it scares the hell out of him. As for Nathan telling everyone at the party Peter committed suicide from his perspective he had two choices: let his political opponents do so in the most negative way possible or let Peter go around telling everyone "Hey. we can fly".

That is a possibility about Nathan knowing about his powers for awhile. Maybe we'll come to find that out.

As for what he did to Peter, I still don't agree with it. But yeah, the other two alternatives wouldn't have been very good at all for his campaign.

The Ori
October 19th, 2006, 05:36 AM
me likes the fact that Hiro came back to the past, but lets hope they don't make it too bait!

Kirath
October 19th, 2006, 10:22 AM
That is a possibility about Nathan knowing about his powers for awhile. Maybe we'll come to find that out.

As for what he did to Peter, I still don't agree with it. But yeah, the other two alternatives wouldn't have been very good at all for his campaign.

Nathan was trying to look out for his brother in his own waspy, emotionally distant kind of way. If he weren't running for office he probably would have just covered it up much like his father's suicide and his mother shoplifting areest but with a campaign going on he and the family are being very closely scrutinized. If peter starts running around saying we can fly best case scenario everyone thinks he's nuts and he goes to the wacko basket. worst case scenario the wrong people snatch him up and he spends the rest of his as a lab rat. He's trying to deal with the situation the way he's observed his role models(parents etc..) do so. Lying and covering it up.

Easter Lily
October 19th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I like this show... I've only seen the pilot but the writing is excellent so far. I love the international flavour and I like the way the show is about real people and real fears.
It seems like a pre-Xmen type of story.

I'm hooked. ;)

the fifth man
October 20th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I like this show... I've only seen the pilot but the writing is excellent so far. I love the international flavour and I like the way the show is about real people and real fears.
It seems like a pre-Xmen type of story.

I'm hooked. ;)

I'm fairly certain it's supposed to have that X-Men type of feel. And personally, that really works for me. I can't wait until everyone is really into using their powers.:)

jds1982
October 21st, 2006, 04:29 PM
Here are some spoilers I heard on T.V. Guide channel. Don't read em if you don't like spoilers.
Apparently Niki's alter ego's name is Jessica, and we'll be seeing more of her.
Niki's husband has the ability to walk through walls.
Micah will have superpowers, he should it's in his genes.

Also something kinda cool is that the kid who plays Micah was a concert pianist at the age of 4, and is the youngest person ever to play in the Sydney Opera House. Makes me wonder what the hell I've been doing with my life.

ShadowMaat
October 21st, 2006, 04:41 PM
I heard an interesting theory over on the TWOP boards (I think it was there) regarding Niki:

What with all the talk about our "public" faces vs. our "private/family" faces... what if ikiN is the "real" personality and Niki is the assumed/false one? Maybe Micah is "influencing" his wild and crazy Mom (who loved/married his wild & crazy Dad) to be more like a real mom should be. ...Although if that's the case, he's one seriously bizarre boy, given what Niki does for a living. And her occasional inattentiveness towards Micah. :D Still, even without Micah's possible influencing I think it's an interesting possibility. Maybe ikiN created Niki as camoflage.

And then again, maybe not. But that's the fun of speculation, isn't it? You never know what you're gonna get... until you get it. :D

Trek_Girl42
October 21st, 2006, 08:08 PM
I heard an interesting theory over on the TWOP boards (I think it was there) regarding Niki:

What with all the talk about our "public" faces vs. our "private/family" faces... what if ikiN is the "real" personality and Niki is the assumed/false one? Maybe Micah is "influencing" his wild and crazy Mom (who loved/married his wild & crazy Dad) to be more like a real mom should be. ...Although if that's the case, he's one seriously bizarre boy, given what Niki does for a living. And her occasional inattentiveness towards Micah. :D Still, even without Micah's possible influencing I think it's an interesting possibility. Maybe ikiN created Niki as camoflage.

And then again, maybe not. But that's the fun of speculation, isn't it? You never know what you're gonna get... until you get it. :D

Ooh, cool- I like it! :D It would be a great direction for that story to take. :)

Sci-Fi
October 21st, 2006, 11:31 PM
From Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Q&A with Masi Oka (Hiro of 'Heroes' ) (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06295/731447-237.stm)

Click on the link to read the interview/Q&A

By Rob Owen
Sunday, October 22, 2006

As the 24-year-old, "Star Trek"-loving Japanese office drone who's been endowed with the power to teleport, Hiro Nakamura immediately became the breakout character on NBC's "Heroes" (9 p.m. tomorrow).

For actor Masi Oka, Hiro is his biggest role yet. He's appeared in movies ("Along Came Polly" ) and on TV (most notably as the doormat lab tech, Franklyn, in six episodes of "Scrubs" ), but never quite to the acclaim he's getting in "Heroes." Unlike many of the "Heroes" characters who fret and worry about their developing powers, Hiro expresses joy and exuberance at his newfound ability to travel through space and time.

Like Hiro, 31-year-old Oka is a fan of science fiction and fantasy ("amazing" is how he describes the new season of "Battlestar Galactica" ), but he's also had experience working behind the scenes on special effects-filled blockbusters, including the most recent "Star Wars" trilogy and the first two "Pirates of Caribbean" movies. After studying computer science and math at Brown University, Oka graduated and went to work for George Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic.

Easter Lily
October 22nd, 2006, 12:54 AM
I'm fairly certain it's supposed to have that X-Men type of feel. And personally, that really works for me. I can't wait until everyone is really into using their powers.:)

I have no problems with that either... there is afterall nothing new under the sun. ;) Imitation is fine as long as it's done properly. What I object to is something like Mutant X, which was more laughable than Power Rangers. Before reading this thread, I had no idea it went on for as long as it did. I saw one episode of that and wondered which boy or girl bands wandered into a studio backlot by mistake. The acting was dreadful...

Trek_Girl42
October 22nd, 2006, 10:51 AM
I have no problems with that either... there is afterall nothing new under the sun. ;) Imitation is fine as long as it's done properly. What I object to is something like Mutant X, which was more laughable than Power Rangers. Before reading this thread, I had no idea it went on for as long as it did. I saw one episode of that and wondered which boy or girl bands wandered into a studio backlot by mistake. The acting was dreadful...
lmao.....you are so right.....how on earth did that show survive.....and we're still getting the re-runs! :rolleyes:

jds1982
October 22nd, 2006, 11:12 AM
lmao.....you are so right.....how on earth did that show survive.....and we're still getting the re-runs! :rolleyes:

Low expectations, low production costs, some very bored or stupid people who had nothing else to do actually watched it. My guess is the majority of its "viewers", were people who left the T.V. on by mistake and left the room, or unattended T.V.s in hospital or hotel lobbies.

Trek_Girl42
October 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM
Low expectations, low production costs, some very bored or stupid people who had nothing else to do actually watched it. My guess is the majority of its "viewers", were people who left the T.V. on by mistake and left the room, or unattended T.V.s in hospital or hotel lobbies.
Lol.....sadly, here it fills cancon requirements, so we're subjected to seeing it listed in the schedule all the frakkin time. Why, oh WHY are all our "home-grown" sf shows terrible! (aside from SG-1) :S

Hmm, this is certainly getting off-topic.....

Can't wait for Monday! :D

Edit: Hey! That's tomorrow!

FlightPod
October 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Heroes what a breath of fresh air to the superheroverse, no costumes (yet), just average people with the chance to become so much more, great possibilities await this show i think, if done right.

ShadowMaat
October 22nd, 2006, 05:05 PM
I liked the bit in... I think it was the TV Guide article where Adrian Pasdar said he lost 25 pounds just in case he wound up in spandex. :D

Lida
October 22nd, 2006, 10:04 PM
Finally a TV show, with a twist, with good writing, acting and NO costumes. Hope it doesn't fall victim to "egos".....Love it!

Giantevilhead
October 22nd, 2006, 10:51 PM
It's an interesting show but other than the fact that there's no costumes, it's still very structurally similar to comic books. The characters just happen to encounter a situation that would require their powers right after learning about their powers.

Lida
October 23rd, 2006, 02:38 PM
It's an interesting show but other than the fact that there's no costumes, it's still very structurally similar to comic books. The characters just happen to encounter a situation that would require their powers right after learning about their powers.

Gee, and Batman and Smallville aren't like comic books? Wait, they are comic books. Silly me.;) :o