So the button...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the button...

it really has a purpose it seems. not so much an experiment, we all saw those objects fliying. the electromagnetic field was real, so does anyone want to explain what it was and what it did? and why did the dharma make it an experiment?

well the finale was explosive to say the least, and made way more questions than answers
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

I'll have to watch the episode again but I don't think they created the anomoly, only tapped it for some purpose.

Comment

Kelvin seemed to explain that it was the geomagnetic properties of the area that were interesting. Perhaps they were attempting to enhance it or focus it or direct it or something.

And nothing says they couldn't have been doing a dual purpose experiment. A rat-in-a-maze is being observed, but there's still a reason for him to navigate the maze.
      "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan
        Kelvin seemed to explain that it was the geomagnetic properties of the area that were interesting. Perhaps they were attempting to enhance it or focus it or direct it or something.

And nothing says they couldn't have been doing a dual purpose experiment. A rat-in-a-maze is being observed, but there's still a reason for him to navigate the maze.
        The part I don't understand is why did Desmond act like nothing would happen if they didn't press the button. He knew from previous experience that something would happen. And how was it he could use the key? Aren't most keys made of metal? Seems to me the key should have been stuck to a wall somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by PuddleJumper14
          The part I don't understand is why did Desmond act like nothing would happen if they didn't press the button. He knew from previous experience that something would happen. And how was it he could use the key? Aren't most keys made of metal? Seems to me the key should have been stuck to a wall somewhere.
          im sure our friends at dharma would of forseen this, and made it out of somthing non metallic
          anyone up for some Armageddon?

Comment

^ Probably Titanium.
            Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Also Demond didn't realize there were any real consequences affecting anything outside the Swan until he saw the printout and put it all together.

Comment

the pearl was the actual psych experiment - as can be determined by the field of cylinders...
                but the swan button was definitely to reset the magnetic field and keep it from going loco.

another thing is that the button - keeps the island HIDDEN.

it wasn't until the thingy blew up that someone searching for electromagnetic disturbances noticed something.

Comment

I doubt it was the psych experiment. The participants had very short tours of duty and were allowed to leave the island on the ferry. But remember the video we saw at the Pearl seemed older than the one at the Swan. My presumption is that the Pearl's tape was pre-"incident".

If they're smart they'll open up some of the tubes closest to the spout on the output end of the tube, get an idea how long the Pearl has been out of operation.

Comment

the only problem is the people who know about it have been captured, and im sure that wont be the first thing hurlys list.the fact that the notebooks went to nowhere instead of the head quarters makes me think, like desmond said, it was the oppiste, the pearl was being watched, while they wrote useless note books about nothing, which i think would take a big toll on them, someone else would soy on them
                    anyone up for some Armageddon?

Comment

Indeed I thought that this was an experiment on the watchers when they first got there and saw that there were cameras in the pearl. I was though also fooled into considering that this was confirmation that the swan was purposeless as well.

Comment

Keep in mind someone may have originally been collecting them and taking them to the ferry to get transported away. Or perhaps they were reviewed on the island itself. Either way I doubt they were originally intended to be just left there.

Comment

Originally posted by omega431
                          Indeed I thought that this was an experiment on the watchers when they first got there and saw that there were cameras in the pearl. I was though also fooled into considering that this was confirmation that the swan was purposeless as well.
                          that does sound like its more sensible, see how one person obsevers another while they do a task, and see human nature if one objects. and how humans would react when they believe the fate of the world is in their hands

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan
                            I doubt it was the psych experiment. The participants had very short tours of duty and were allowed to leave the island on the ferry. But remember the video we saw at the Pearl seemed older than the one at the Swan. My presumption is that the Pearl's tape was pre-"incident".

If they're smart they'll open up some of the tubes closest to the spout on the output end of the tube, get an idea how long the Pearl has been out of operation.
                            Interesting that you should say that. If you recall the Pearl orientation is on tape, as you mentioned, but the Swan orientation is on what appeared to be 16mm flim. Of course 16mm predates videotape by some years that's not to say that they chose to put one on film and the other on tape for logistic purposes (tape players at the time were expensive, very expensive and the Pearl was already outfitted with several).

Additionally the tape appeared to be some kind of large format, perhaps beta. The first sony beta player was released in 1976 wheras 16mm was available in the 1930s. However, it wasn't until the 1960s that it was affordable to have 16mm projectors with sound built in (but that's for the home user largely).

Finally, videotapes use MAGNETS and magnetic tape as a storage method, and if there was some kind of "electromagetic disaster" or incident that may have effected the integrety of the tapes, perhaps further suggesting that the Pearl is post incident. Of course the hatches may also be magnetically sheilded (which would be the smart thing to do).

I don't know if any of this is significant, but interesting when you consider it in context.
                            Last edited by robo_zuul; 26 May 2006, 07:59 PM.

Comment

my revised opinion is that the button is an extremely elaborate set up, though it gives the EM field its a big prop. i think its to witness how human would react if they believe the fate of the world is in their hands. the key is the end, the mission of the experiment is to see if a person would trade their life (which would have been to push the button every 108 minutes until you die, and the world ends when you die) for the continued existance of the world. Its to see if a person or persons would live alsong as they can(while endangering the world in the process) or just ensure world safety.

sorry if i was a little redundant

Comment

Working...
                              X