• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McKay - Mr. Fixit

Excuse me but...

Ok time for a bit of a rant here.

I love McKay. He's Great. He's awesome.

But has he become the ecscape button for the writers. Maybe someone can help me.

McKay is an astrophysicist, since when did he become a mechanical engineer, electrician, computer engineer, computer programmer...etc...
    In other words expert in everything. (This could apply to Carter as well)

We love him for this. But is it a little unrealistic??

Originally posted by somethinghuman
    But has he become the ecscape button for the writers. Maybe someone can help me. But is it a little unrealistic??
    Unrealistic and SciFi TV show go hand in hand.

They just don't have the time or money to show more than one actor doing these things, they barley show Zelenka as it is and he is a fan favourite. They never introduce new characters for one off things, they may show a room full of scientist like in "Trinity" but mostly they just ignore the fact that McKay is only a physicist.

Sometimes I think people want far too much from their TV shows.

Comment

According to his own publicity, McKay is a genius and a prodigy, so of course he can do all of this stuff. "Only a physicist"?!! *splutters*
      sigpic
      "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

McKay is like Carter but better...

Comment

Have you never seen Carter do anything that wasn't in her area of expertise? It the same thing.

Comment

McKay is Atlantis' Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson is a linguist, an anthropologist, an archaeologist, an egyptologisy as well as knowing about every myth on earth and elsewhere, as well as being an ambassador and twenty million other things.

Plus McKay by anyone's standards is a genius...just because he's a Doctor of Astrophysics doesn't mean to say it the *only* thing he can be good at.
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

McKay may be a genius.... but in the SG-1 episodes, all McKay's theories on the Stargate were wrong and Carter solved them.
              Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

He is the worlds foremost expert on Ancient technology, giving him a far more likely chance of being able to repair Ancient technology than an engineer.
                An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

mcays more experianced with ancient tech then carter is, but she is still hotter
                  Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by somethinghuman
                    Excuse me but...

Ok time for a bit of a rant here.

I love McKay. He's Great. He's awesome.

But has he become the ecscape button for the writers. Maybe someone can help me.

McKay is an astrophysicist, since when did he become a mechanical engineer, electrician, computer engineer, computer programmer...etc...
                    In other words expert in everything. (This could apply to Carter as well)

We love him for this. But is it a little unrealistic??
                    remember mobius he was MR fantastic but i agree and inferno is a great exmple that he does fix things to easily ....maybe he can help earth with the ori

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderic
                      McKay may be a genius.... but in the SG-1 episodes, all McKay's theories on the Stargate were wrong and Carter solved them.
                      Maybe because Carter had years of Stargate experience on him back then. Besides, that was years ago.

Comment

Don't forget that McKay also is a expert on virology, in Hot Zone.

But his skills with firearms wane and differ constantly.

At first, he can fire a P90 with decent accuracy.

Than later, he doesn't know how to reload his sidearm.

And than he doesn't even know wich button to press to fire the sidearm.

And than later he misses and runs away from a Wraith that isn't moving, and still miss it by a mile. But he does know how to change the empty magazine.

And than finally, he's a decent shooter again, along with Beckett.
                        Scoping through the night...looking for Athosians

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderic
                          That's because Carter was one of the main cast members and therefor protected by the plot. McKay was the guest and destined to be wrong right from the start.
                          sigpic
                          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

McKay seems to be the man for whatever job you might have for him, I wouldnt be surprised if in the next season he started to work with the plumbing :wink:

All right ... I confess I haven't cut your hair ... I hate cutting hair. I have this terrible un-un-uncontrollable fear whenever I see hair. When I was a kid I used to hate the sight of hair being cut. My mother said I was a fool. She said the only way to cure it was to become a barber. So I spent five ghastly years at the Hairdressers' Training Centre at Totnes. Can you imagine what it's like cutting the same head for five years? I didn't want to be a barber anyway. I wanted to be a lumberjack. Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia . . .
                            The giant redwood, the larch, the fir, the mighty scots pine. The smell of fresh-cut timber! The crash of mighty trees! With my best girlie by my side ... We'd sing ... sing ... sing.

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Comment

Lol if only. Lol perhaps we finally get to see what the bathrooms in Atlantis look like
                              Lord Zedd

Comment

Working...
                              X