Angel to go.
FIREFLY to win.

Thunderstorm
July 11th, 2006, 05:07 PM
FIREFLY to GO:(
ANGEL to WIN:)

keshou
July 11th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Oh, man this is hard. I like both of these a lot. And yet they're so VERY different
hmmmmm......

Angel to go
FIREFLY to win

RealmOfX
July 11th, 2006, 07:07 PM
FIREFLY to GO
ANGEL to WIN

The Signal
July 12th, 2006, 08:10 AM
FINAL RESULTS

Wow, well this is a first

Angel - 8
Firefly - 8

So, what to do? Well, I went back and checked 36 vote counts, including this one, and heres the final tally:

Angel - 35
Firefly - 61

Therefore, FIREFLY finishes SECOND

ANGEL is the WINNER!

Thanks to everyone who voted! Its been fun!

As for the next tournement, Im going to take 2 weeks off, then get started with something new, I will PM each of you, and put a notice up in here when the time comes.

For now, thanks for playing :)

Trek_Girl42
July 12th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Lol, first time for everything. :jack_new_anime06: Yay for Angel!

:jack_new_anime07:Thanks Ptah! :jack_new_anime07:

L-JADE
July 12th, 2006, 09:34 AM
THANK YOU PTAH!
YAY! FOR ANGEL
dang-da-ra-dang dang-dang [/Angel tune] :P

Missster.Freeman
July 12th, 2006, 09:44 AM
dang-da-ra-dang dang-dang [/Angel tune]
Okaaay... :S Was that the remix? :P

Thank you for another great tourney Ptah. Looking forward to the next one, when *sigh* one of my choices might win. :P

Any ideas for the next one?

Wraith Scientist
July 12th, 2006, 11:07 AM
:jack_new_anime07: Thanks for the Tourny Ptah :jack_new_anime07:

Future tourny speculation/suggestion:
- Favorite sci-fi/fantasy villains (Goa'uld, Daleks, Reavers etc.)
- Favorite sci-fi/fantasy main character (The Doctor, Buffy, Angel etc.)
- Favorite sci-fi spaceship (Enterprise, Deadalus, Serenity etc.)
- Favorite sci-fi/fantasy movie (you get the idea)

Trek_Girl42
July 12th, 2006, 11:08 AM
dang-da-ra-dang dang-dang [/Angel tune] :P
Woah.....what was that?:P :)

Naonak
July 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Well done to Angel! Even though I voted for Firefly, I don't mind, I only voted that way because I like the show better - I couldn't decide between the themes...
Great tourney. (shame about the small number of voters compared to last time)

My Top 7: (that's right, seven)

Firefly
Angel
Stargate SG-1
Buffy
Doctor Who
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Stargate Atlantis

I would agree with Wraith Scientist's suggestion of Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film, even though it would probably end up as a throw-down between LOTR, Star Wars and Serenity... Other than that, I don't mind what it is - I'm sure it'll be cool. :cool:

Trek_Girl42
July 12th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I'll make my top list as well. :)

1. Angel
2. BSG UK/NA (I love them both equally)
3. Firefly
4. Buffy
5. DS9
6. X-Files
7. SG-1/Atlantis

The Signal
July 12th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Future tourny speculation/suggestion:
- Favorite sci-fi/fantasy villains (Goa'uld, Daleks, Reavers etc.)
- Favorite sci-fi/fantasy main character (The Doctor, Buffy, Angel etc.)

*murmers and kicks Wraith Scientist under desk* Shut up! :P

Okay, those were basically the ones I wanted to do next, but Im planning on doing a world cup style system, why not discuss it here and then we can get stqarted in a week or two. (please dont suggest people yet though, I like my current selection system :D)

Trek_Girl42
July 12th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Those are two great ideas for a tournament! I say we do one followed by the other. :)

kmiller1610
July 12th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks Ptah for all your hard work. It was a nice thing to look forward to each day...

For the record, my top 7:

1) Voyager (For me, not even close; a beautiful piece of music)
2) BSG Uk
3) Firefly
4) Stargate SG-1
5) Dr. Who (new version)
6) Trek: TNG
7) Red Dwarf

OldSchoolKlingon
July 12th, 2006, 02:37 PM
The Voyager theme is superb. Not just the music, but the video as well. I love how it's so well choreographed with the music.

Wraith Scientist
July 12th, 2006, 02:49 PM
My top three were:
1) Stargate: Atlantis
2) BSG: TNS - UK
3) Doctor Who: 9th Doctor theme

*murmers and kicks Wraith Scientist under desk* Shut up! :P

Ow! *throws pencil at Ptah* :P

jonno
July 12th, 2006, 04:02 PM
thanks again Ptah ... and well worked out.

Anubis69
July 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Cheers Ptah. Another quality tourney... Plus, i'm liking the sound of the personal touch with the PMs. :D :P

RealmOfX
July 12th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks Ptah!!

Thunderstorm
July 12th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Great job Ptah!!

My top 10
1 Quantum Leap
2 Greatest American Hero
3 Sliders
4 Lois and Clark
5 Babylon 5 (5)
6 Stargate: SG1
7 Buck Rogers
8 The X-Files
9 Doctor Who - 1st era
10 Angel

My bottom 3
Tru Calling
Battlestar Gallactica: TNS - UK
Firefly

I was pretty far off from the rest of the group but it was still interesting and fun.

L-JADE
July 12th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Okaaay... :S Was that the remix? :P

Woah.....what was that?:P :)

Oh shush! both of you! you have no imagination :P

Best Fantasy Villain sounds good !! it's weird how people sometimes love to hate a villain ;)

Question : In StarTreks, do we consider Klingons as villain ? I don't like the Klingons in ST TOS, but love Worf & B'elanna :mckay:

keshou
July 13th, 2006, 05:22 AM
THANKS PTAH!

Great job running a very interesting tournament. I really had a good time listening to all the themes - some I'd never heard before.

And congrats to Angel. It was really a toss-up between Angel and Firefly for me so I'd be happy either way.

BSG was my first choice but Angel and Firefly weren't far behind.

Look forward to the next tournament. :) :) :)

Missster.Freeman
July 13th, 2006, 07:47 AM
it's weird how people sometimes love to hate a villain ;)
Sometimes villains can be far more interesting than our sparkling white toothed, greater-than-good heroes. ;)

Question : In StarTreks, do we consider Klingons as villain ? I don't like the Klingons in ST TOS, but love Worf & B'elanna :mckay:
That would be quite a hard one to call. Ptah would have to specify which era of Klingons. They were, for the most part, allies in the TNG era, apart from a few rogue Klingons here and there. Even the Romulans became allies in Deep Space Nine!

The Signal
July 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM
To avoid the Klingon issue, along with a few more, I would possibly have two classifications; as a collective, ie. Klingons, Cardassians, Vampires, Wolfram and Hart, Reavers, and as indevidual characters, ie. Dukat, The Master, Lindsey, Lilah, Niska, Ba'al.

L-JADE
July 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM
To avoid the Klingon issue, along with a few more, I would possibly have two classifications; as a collective, ie. Klingons, Cardassians, Vampires, Wolfram and Hart, Reavers, and as indevidual characters, ie. Dukat, The Master, Lindsey, Lilah, Niska, Ba'al.

OY! the individual characters would be a headache to remember which one is which and took a long time to finish.. er.. wait! no go ahead, good idea! :zelenka: :P

Thunderstorm
July 13th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Sounds like you've got a good idea going. Are you going to take any suggestions, like we did for the themes? And I hope we have some explanations for the characters - I have no idea what a Reaver is. Also is this just going to be tv villians or include movie villians?

Anubis69
July 13th, 2006, 02:38 PM
The problem with that is most folks won't know individual "bad guys" or perhaps not even races... We might have to have links to wikipedia or something for explanations on how "dastardly" they are. Course, the problem with that is that through reading, you can't get the same... feelings of mistrust and hatrid that you from years of viewing... I don't know. Just thinking aloud. :S Or just use well known ones eg. Vader/Sith etc...

L-JADE
July 13th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Sounds like you've got a good idea going. Are you going to take any suggestions, like we did for the themes? And I hope we have some explanations for the characters - I have no idea what a Reaver is. Also is this just going to be tv villians or include movie villians?

Reaver is the nasties in Joss Whedon's Firefly/Serenity, they're cannibals & like to torture people and themselves. The common rule for them is that if you see your friend/family get caught by them, it is merciful to just kill your friend/family there & then.

The Signal
July 14th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks :) Yes I will be doing it like my last two, taking suggestions and accepting... say the top 32. Wikipedia links as someone mentioned are a good idea, and the thing is, if i do a sport tournement style, people have just 2 people to choose from, so if they dont know one its not a major thing that will carry through the tournement. As for Tv or Movie, Im thinking movie characters might be a good idea. Keep the comments coming guys, I want this to be a good one.

Naonak
July 14th, 2006, 11:19 AM
As for Tv or Movie, Im thinking movie characters might be a good idea.

But then there'd be so many characters we couldn't have! Darth Vader's gonna win the bad guys thing anyway, but it'd be nice to give everyone else a chance... :p ;)

Also, when you say a "World Cup" style system, are you going to have groups, or just go straight to knock-out rounds?

The Signal
July 14th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Groups of 6 (divided, will explain how later)-> Groups of 4 -> -> knock out rounds

As for Darth Vader, kind of a tragic hero, so he wouldnt win. (because he cant qualify ;))

The Signal
July 15th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Im leaving the World Cup style behind, too complicated to organise.

The Greatest Sci-fi/Fantasy Villain Tournement is now UNDER WAY!

L-JADE
July 15th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Greatest or Favorite ??

What I mean is Replicators/Ori might be meaner (aka Greater) than Goa'uld, but I prefer to choose Goa'uld as a favorite.

Thunderstorm
July 15th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Ah, darn. I thought you were going to take a week off. I'm going on vacation tomorrow. And Darth Vader is a villian in my book. That kid was never a tragic hero, I saw him as a whiny, power hungry, jealous brat.

Missster.Freeman
July 15th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Greatest or Favorite ??

What I mean is Replicators/Ori might be meaner (aka Greater) than Goa'uld, but I prefer to choose Goa'uld as a favorite.
BZZZ. Wrong answer. ;)

Ptah has excluded the Stargate bad guys from the new tournament. Have to say I agree, which, imo will make it a fairer tournament.

Wraith Scientist
July 15th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Ah, darn. I thought you were going to take a week off. I'm going on vacation tomorrow. And Darth Vader is a villian in my book. That kid was never a tragic hero, I saw him as a whiny, power hungry, jealous brat.

I'm going on holiday on monday too, for two weeks, but hopefully there will still be some good villains left by the time I get back

And Darth Vader was voted the 3rd greatest villain of all time by the American Film organization
Top 100 heroes and villains (http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/handv.aspx)

For voting purposes, a "villain" was defined as a character(s) whose wickedness of mind, selfishness of character and will to power are sometimes masked by beauty and nobility, while others may rage unmasked. They can be horribly evil or grandiosely funny, but are ultimately tragic.

The Signal
July 16th, 2006, 04:23 AM
I've always seen Darth Vader as a space version of Macbeth, a loyal warrior, lead down a dark path by predictions of the future, and tempted by power, so in my book, he's a tragic hero, but Im not ignoring you, Im going to be doing something later that will make people happy, so maybe I wil reconsider.