This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason SG teams don't hit the iris

There's been some debate over why nobody ever hits the iris when some times it takes several seconds or minutes for General Hammond to give the signal to open the iris. Somebody once suggested (I forgot who) that the GDO's might display the iris status. There may be something that supports this theory in Zero Hour.

SPOILERS ZERO HOUR

When SG-1 was under attack they sent their GDO code but someone said sgt. O'Brien sent a "hold signal". I don't think it was sent vocally but I could be wrong, it could possibly be a signal displayed on the GDO.
    My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

That's a pretty good theory and one that would make sense too.

I have a question, have any SG Teams or members ever accidently went splat on the earth Iris on the show for any reason?

Comment

It's because they give the singal long before they go through the gate.
      It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine
        There's been some debate over why nobody ever hits the iris when some times it takes several seconds or minutes for General Hammond to give the signal to open the iris. Somebody once suggested (I forgot who) that the GDO's might display the iris status. There may be something that supports this theory in Zero Hour.
        I've noticed that as well. It seems as if the SGC is really pushing it when it appears they have inbound travelers on route to Earth. Having an 'all-clear' light on the GDO sounds very plausible.
        Roughly along the sames lines on Zero Hour...

Spoilers for Zero Hour... (o' course)

Did you notice how fast they cut the power to the gate when an SG team finally led Camulus through? One of these times they're going to cut off some extremities. I understand we're not using a DHD's power source, but jeez, talk about stingy on the electric bill.

Comment

If you go to http://www.scifi.com/stargate/welcome/tech.html you will find a nice picture of a GDO. They appear to have an LCD readout on them.

Last edited by Mio; 01 August 2004, 07:15 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine
            When SG-1 was under attack they sent their GDO code but someone said sgt. O'Brien sent a "hold signal". I don't think it was sent vocally but I could be wrong, it could possibly be a signal displayed on the GDO.
            True, but then how do they know when it's safe to come through? Do they get another signal? If so, why was Daniel worried that Bra'tac would get splattered on the iris if Weir didn't order it open?
            Rocky

Comment

I would think they would somehow get a signal back if they didnt it would be an unnecesary risk

Comment

hmm...
                well I would guess that they would have to have some sort of signal... because General Hammond sure takes his time occasionally before giving the signal to open the Iris...
                and like Wildog said, they wouldn't take an unnecesary risk of time between the iris opening and people stepping out...

Comment

In Stargate Infinity their GDO shows if the irish is open.

Comment

Originally posted by MetZger
                    In Stargate Infinity their GDO shows if the irish is open.
                    Stargate: Infinity isn't exactly canon (and besides, that took place in the future, so things could have changed.)
                    Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                      Stargate: Infinity isn't exactly canon (and besides, that took place in the future, so things could have changed.)
                      That's a good point, however it is likely that SG:I GDOs were based on the GDOs used in SG1, so likely have the same functions.
                      spook

Comment

Originally posted by sshspooky
                        That's a good point, however it is likely that SG:I GDOs were based on the GDOs used in SG1, so likely have the same functions.
                        Hello? Big LCD screen on the GDO......

<feels ignored>
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio

<feels ignored>
                          But that could be used for anything... To look at the code they just entered, to see the time, to play games...
                          My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Originally posted by Mio

<feels ignored>
                            I agree with what Chevron Nine said, but also, we've seen SG-1 dial the 'gate, enter the code, and go running towards the 'gate, without actually looking at the LCD screen.
                            Rocky

Comment

I'm pretty sure Hammod/Jack doesn't authorize the opening of the iris with every incoming wormhole. Walter does it 80% of the time, remember what he said on the documentory, the SG teams have alot of faith with an accual human at the controls, so if I'm on the run from Jaffa staff fire and I punch that code I'd feel confident I'm not heading for pancake city.

Comment

Working...
                              X