PDA

View Full Version : Should major Lorne have a bigger role in atlantis?

Pharaoh Atem
May 18th, 2006, 06:25 AM
IMO YES the fans really enjoy him and personally I feel that he would add a lot to the show if giving screen time and development :)

feel free to add

Linzi
May 18th, 2006, 06:27 AM
IMO, no. We have 6 regulars already, and it's hard enough servicing them as it is. Lorne is great, but very much a secondary character. He was on screen about the right amount last season, IMO.

Pharaoh Atem
May 18th, 2006, 06:29 AM
well maybe a not a regular unless there dump another cast member

FoolishPleasure
May 18th, 2006, 06:46 AM
I like him as recurring, but I would like to see an episode with him, and no Shep. Sometimes I get a feeling he just might be a more interesting character. *dodges bullets*

And someone give the poor guy a first name! :)

vaberella
May 18th, 2006, 07:01 AM
IMO, no. We have 6 regulars already, and it's hard enough servicing them as it is. Lorne is great, but very much a secondary character. He was on screen about the right amount last season, IMO.
I'm with Linzi at this point. I've pretty much figured the reason that SGA is suffering on a certain level is its character usage. If some people are willing to take a backseat in a few eps, and some writers didn't prefer a character over another....then I would say maybe he should be regular. But with a cast so large, not to count the roles of enemies like...the Wraith who were the main characers getting developed in S2, I don't think there's much room left.

VB

Pharaoh Atem
May 18th, 2006, 07:01 AM
I like him as recurring, but I would like to see an episode with him, and no Shep. Sometimes I get a feeling he just might be a more interesting character. *dodges bullets*

alan

MarshAngel
May 18th, 2006, 07:20 AM
We may have six regulars but more often than not, two or more of them are ignored or marginalized and the focus is narrow. Atlantis is a an expedition it's not SG1. There are supposed to professionals of multiple disciplines working togther to learn about Atlantis and the galaxy and yet...not so much. If expanding the focus to include Major Lorne, lets us see other people besides Shepphard and Mckay getting things done, I'm all for it.... besides, I like him.

lissafoss
May 18th, 2006, 07:26 AM
I love Lorne but dont see how he would fit in as a regular, it seems to work with him as a recurring character, but i would like to see a little more of him.

ShadowMaat
May 18th, 2006, 08:21 AM
IMO YES the fans really enjoy him and personally I feel that he would add a lot to the show if giving screen time and development :)
That depends. I'd like him to get more screen-time and development, yes of course, but I wouldn't want him to be a main character. TPTB can't even figure out the main characters they already have, so adding another would only make things worse. Even if he were added at another character's expense, the main characters (those who aren't McKay, anyway) get so little development and such poor stories that it wouldn't be worth it. Lorne works better as a recurring character and he gets better development/storytime because of that.

But there's also the flipside to consider. The more we find out about him and the more "likeable" he becomes, the greater the chances of him bein killed off to prove some stupid point about how "no one is safe".

On that score, being a main character would help because the main characters are gods who cannot be destroyed. Ever. :rolleyes: But that's a poor trade off, IMO. I'll take my chances with him dying if it means that he gets to have some actual development and fun storylines. But in the long run, I'd prefer to keep him at least SLIGHTLY under the radar so he'll stand a chance of living longer.

prion
May 18th, 2006, 08:27 AM
In one word, no. I do quite enjoy Lorne, but I want him as a recurring background character. The writers need to work on Shep, Weir, etc. and if Lorne were put more in the foreground, who should go more in the background? You can't have one without the other, so, I'm content with Lorne being backup.

SGLAB
May 18th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I think in both Stargate shows they do recurring characters very well and they're some of my favorite characters. Lorne is great where is now imo. Although he needs a first name.

Lord Zedd
May 18th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I don't think Lorne should have a bigger role in Atlantis. Like a lot of people said, first all the other characters. Besides I like the way it is now with Lorne. :)

Major Tyler
May 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I like Lorne, I think he's cool. Maybe they should make him Weir's or Teyla's love interest...he'd get more screen time and someone other than Shep can get the ladies for once. ;)

lissa1000
May 18th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I think it would work if they gave Lorne a fifth of Rodney's scenes. I like the idea of Lorne developing a relationship with Liz or Teyla. It could be kept in the background just to add a little spice to the show.

npattis
May 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM
I disagree, I think Lorne needs less time than what he has now.

Expedition Atlantis
May 18th, 2006, 10:09 AM

thats how i feel. i think they should also give that canadian guy in atlantis a least a last name. he keeps showing up and we dont know who is except that he is gordin's replacement.

ShadowMaat
May 18th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I like Lorne, I think he's cool. Maybe they should make him Weir's or Teyla's love interest...he'd get more screen time and someone other than Shep can get the ladies for once. ;)
Dear gods above, PLEASE no! :P Let at least ONE character in all of Atlantis have SOME semblance of personal integrity! Romances are something best left for off-screen never-seen characters, NOT the leads! Please. Please, please, please.

And Lorne's first name is Marcus. the producers simply haven't admitted it yet. :P

prion
May 18th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Dear gods above, PLEASE no! :P Let at least ONE character in all of Atlantis have SOME semblance of personal integrity! Romances are something best left for off-screen never-seen characters, NOT the leads! Please. Please, please, please.

And Lorne's first name is Marcus. the producers simply haven't admitted it yet. :P

I sure hope not. Don't want Marcus named after a cow .... as in Marcus Dairy; been around for a long, long time.

Merlin7
May 18th, 2006, 02:06 PM
No. Please no. Five of the six main cast, including the leading man, doesn't get any characterization. Plus they use Zelenka, who I adore, as like an almost main character. The writers can't handle what they've already got.

Hatcheter
May 20th, 2006, 07:21 PM

So where did Marcus come from? I've been under the impression for some time now that that is the character's first name, and am quite surprised to find that it isn't official.

As to the question in the thread's title, I think Lorne was used just right last season, and hope to see him in about the same amount of screen time this season.

Avenger
May 20th, 2006, 08:43 PM
The show needs a good stock of recurring characters, and Lorne fits the bill really well. Now, an episode where he's featured a little bit more wouldn;t be so bad.

freyr's mother
May 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM
Lorne should become like Colonel Reynolds in SG-1.

CMDragonia
May 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM
We (meaning all the Lorne Lovers) gave Lorne the name Marcus a LONG time ago on the Major Lorne thread in the Characters Section. As much as I love Major Lorne, I think he should continue to be a recurring character, because even as such it means he will still be around, getting smaller story lines and such, and I happen to like that aspect more than regular character story lines. It always seems to me that secondary characters are more developed than main characters because they are in the background, so they need their character to be established, while we can learn more about main characters as the season goes by. But he should be in at least half the episodes, as last season he was in eight, and seeing him at least two more times would make me happy. But that's just my opinion.

vaberella
May 21st, 2006, 12:07 PM
You know what....I'm not a fan of Marcus.....I say he should be named Devon....Devon Lorne! Then I can call him Devdev...and stuff. :D

The show needs a good stock of recurring characters, and Lorne fits the bill really well. Now, an episode where he's featured a little bit more wouldn;t be so bad.
I totally agree. He's a great recurring character. I'm still wondering about Stackhouse...and no one gave him a name. I personally feel they need more guys who are not air force, cause if Lorne is airforce, although I like his character. My problem is that he's almost as laid back as John, seems to be. I need more sticklers, like BAtes, Stackhouse, and Ford----or at least make Lorne more of a stickler.

VB

AtlantisForever
May 22nd, 2006, 12:16 AM
yes hes a very good char among SGA i recon he shouldnt go off world but stay on Atlantis doing Security thats where he can have more of an role then he dose atm

Pharaoh Atem
May 22nd, 2006, 12:48 AM
So where did Marcus come from? I've been under the impression for some time now that that is the character's first name, and am quite surprised to find that it isn't official.

As to the question in the thread's title, I think Lorne was used just right last season, and hope to see him in about the same amount of screen time this season.
shadow's wishful thinking

Red Phoniex
May 29th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Lorne's become like the second in charge of the militiry in atlantis after sheppard and it suits him. i like his character and his moments with mckay are great but he seems to be there just to try and get SGA 1 out of trouble. maybe he should tag along with a few of the teams. i just made a music video of him in Atlantis and he's actually in alot of episode so if they give him about the same about of scene time as last season, i think everyone will be happy but PLEASE give him an offical first time, i've heard so many it's giving me a headache. i don't like marcus as he was an ex of mine (i like lorne too much to call him it) what about just calling him Kavan Lorne, saves alot of aguring. by the way, the vids on my website :) http://redphoniex.livejournal.com

Morgania
May 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM
As much as I would like that, he'll probally stay as a recurring character. If just shows up in more episodes that would make me happy. And an offical first name. *cough* Marcus *cough*

Commander Ivanova
May 29th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Yeah, why not.

alkalinemono
May 29th, 2006, 01:08 PM

yeah i have to say it would be good to get an episode with major "Patrick" Lorne

it would be good to do an episode from a diffrent perspective for one week where the sga reg's arent the central focus maybe drop zelenka and carson in and expand the charachters of lornes team!

NotAscended
May 29th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I think Lorne is a great recurring character and agree that I'd like to seem him featured in a couple of more episodes in S3. He's the one ranking military officer on the base who consistently shows loyalty to Weir and makes a good counterpoint to Shep's tendency to disagree with Weir and Caldwell's interference.

ShadowMaat
May 29th, 2006, 02:08 PM
it would be good to do an episode from a diffrent perspective for one week where the sga reg's arent the central focus maybe drop zelenka and carson in and expand the charachters of lornes team!
The sad thing is that Carson is SUPPOSED to be one of the lead characters. You sure as hell wouldn't know it from his weak-ass appearances in S2, though.

Poor Carson.

And don't saddle Lorne with a sissy name like Patrick. :P I keep thinking of Spongebob's idiot friend.

Mattathias2.0
May 29th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I personally like him as a recurring character... A hot one at that.

Mattathias

Poltergeist
May 31st, 2006, 06:17 AM
And don't saddle Lorne with a sissy name like Patrick. :P I keep thinking of Spongebob's idiot friend.

LOL!!! I could'nt agree more.
AS far a Lorne goes, I love his dry wit and nonplused attitude, and would like to see more of him the show.

Lauriel
May 31st, 2006, 08:14 AM
Lorne's become like the second in charge of the militiry in atlantis after sheppard and it suits him. i like his character and his moments with mckay are great but he seems to be there just to try and get SGA 1 out of trouble. maybe he should tag along with a few of the teams. i just made a music video of him in Atlantis and he's actually in alot of episode so if they give him about the same about of scene time as last season, i think everyone will be happy but PLEASE give him an offical first time, i've heard so many it's giving me a headache. i don't like marcus as he was an ex of mine (i like lorne too much to call him it) what about just calling him Kavan Lorne, saves alot of aguring. by the way, the vids on my website :) http://redphoniex.livejournal.com

I agree that Lorne is a good counterpoint to Shep. They also have a great synergy. The scenes with them together in Coup D'etat are a good example. I'm all in favour of seeing more of him.

norbe
May 31st, 2006, 08:42 AM
I think they should give lorne more screen time, focus in on his character a bit more. His job is pretty important in Atlantis (being sheps no.2), so it wouldn't hurt to see more of him. If they show us quite a bit of him in the next couple a series they could even then kill him off in some horrific way - maybe getting eaten by :wraithqueen10:.

I always feel like the lorne's scenes are too rushed, he only seems to be on screen for a few seconds when he's there. It'd be nice to see him go offworld with sheps team a few times, and to be more prominent when he's part of the storyline.

trabanom
June 1st, 2006, 05:24 AM
I like him.
In fact, i would like to kill Sheppard. the show could go on without hin.

Lokii
June 1st, 2006, 06:43 AM
In one word, no. I do quite enjoy Lorne, but I want him as a recurring background character. The writers need to work on Shep, Weir, etc. and if Lorne were put more in the foreground, who should go more in the background? You can't have one without the other, so, I'm content with Lorne being backup.

I agree with this. In any case Lorne will probably be wraith food this season....

muffhead
June 1st, 2006, 07:20 AM
I think the cast is far too small.

One of the things that made Babylon 5 great was its large cast and all of the recurring charcters.

I'm not going to argue about a large cast vs a small cast, either you get it or you don't.

Captain Untouchable
June 1st, 2006, 08:28 AM

I can see him becoming the Atlantis equivalent of Colonel Reynolds, and being really good in that role. He's already an established character that was revived (Lorne appeared in "Enemy Mine", while Reynolds first appeared in "Touchstone"), and they both have partially-developed characters that fit into a lot of spaces.

I think he'd be great standing on his own a little - they've let Reynolds do that a little, without being overshadowed by SG-1, with his appearences in Arthur's Mantle, Prometheus Unbound, etc, and Lorne did the same in Runner, Condemned and Coup d'Etat, but I'd like to see both of them - Lorne and Reynolds - featured more.

Damar
June 1st, 2006, 11:44 AM
Yes, Lorne should definately get a bigger role. I find him more of a believable military leader than Sheppard, more proffensial and less wise-cracking constantly.

I like him.

I actually agree with this. While a good character, Sheppard is too stereo-type for my taste. And i dislike fighter pilots being Rambos when on the ground.

And with Sheppard out of the way, there would be a end at the constant military way of doing things. Weir should do more problem-solving instead of Sheppard.

ShadowMaat
June 1st, 2006, 02:10 PM
Ahh, but if Lorne is perceived as a threat to Shep's popularity, he'll be killed off quicker than you can say "plot device."

the fifth man
June 1st, 2006, 06:58 PM
I'd definitely like to see Major Lorne around a bit more. He's a pretty cool character IMO.

Pharaoh Atem
June 1st, 2006, 07:02 PM
Lorne should become like Colonel Reynolds in SG-1.

i would love that ..:)
i miss colonel reynolds:(

and killing shepherd to give lorne a bigger role ...thats a big no no !!!!!!!!!!

the fifth man
June 1st, 2006, 07:15 PM
and killing shepherd to give lorne a bigger role ...thats a big no no !!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, that's about as likely as me winning the lottery.;)

GatetheWay
June 1st, 2006, 07:28 PM
I love Lorne. And I think it would be cool for him to become a regular but considering the writers can't even handle the main characters they have I don't think right now is the right time.

I'd love to see more Lorne/McKay scenes this season. They were so funny together in Runner. But looks like Lorne will be in Misbegotten and Sateda!

MARCUS Lorne! Spread the word!

Pharaoh Atem
June 1st, 2006, 07:35 PM
Don't worry, that's about as likely as me winning the lottery.;)

watch you wake up and win it now

Lauriel
June 2nd, 2006, 01:09 AM
I like him.

McKAY: When did this escalate to physical violence? :mckay:
No way! (Agast) You can't shoot Shep. Think riots. Think mass fainting and hysteria.
Think many sleepless nights for women (and some men) everywhere.
(Shudders) They just can't.. (sobs