PDA

View Full Version : Who is YOUR doctor?

Flyboy
May 14th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Everybody has their doctor... There's 10 to choose from afterall. It's not really about which Doctor you think is the best, nor is it the one you saw first... (I have vague memory's of Tom Baker in Revenge of the Cybermen and an ever vaguer memory of Jon Pertwee on Skaro...) it's the doc you sort of grew up with and recognise as the doctor above most others. For my parents it was Patrick Troughton... For me, I'd say Paul McGann, I saw that film when it was brand new, and I thought he was a perfect doctor. He fitted my scheme of the doctor (which Troughton, Davidson, Colin Baker and McCoy didnt, which is strange as I'd never seen Hartnell... so it was a combination of Pertwee and Tom Baker.. hmm), in any case. I digress.

My point is, which Doctor did you grow up with? New Who fans will have to say Eccleston really... unless they got into Who at series 2/28... but for me, definitley Paul McGann. He's my Doctor, and I recognise him over all others.

The Signal
May 14th, 2006, 11:20 AM
For me it was a combination of the 4th to 7th Doctors as I watched them as UK Gold, which wasnt the most reliable for playing them in order. Hartnell and Troughton I've caught wherever I can, and JP I have managd to watch on UK Gold now that they actually play his era. But out of all of them, I assosiate Tom Baker with the Doctor more than any other, possibly because it was him that I watched the most.

sueKay
May 14th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Me? 10...cos I've only just got into Dr Who :)

Egeria
May 14th, 2006, 12:50 PM
#4 is my doctor, always will be. :D

in circles
May 14th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I watched the tv movie when it was on and the odd repeat but it has to be doc 9 for me.

dipsofjazz
May 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM
:D I grew up with numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4. I think number 2, Patrick Troughton, will always be my Doctor, although John Pertwee (number 3) is a close second.

Metarock Sam
May 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM
#2 for me. Such a funny character :D

Reefgirl
May 14th, 2006, 01:25 PM
#4 and 5. Tom Baker because he was the one I grew up with and Peter Davidson because his are the stories I remember the best

yaaayoubetcha
May 14th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Most definately #4, Tom Baker.

He's my fave, the longest lasting and for me, the most memorable.

Eye Of Ra
May 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM
tom baker plus i like peter cushing in the movie

Darkseid
May 14th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Troughton was such a wonderful Doctor. It's a shame most of his episodes don't exist anymore. Pertwee was one of those men who just stepped right into the character without needing any lead in time. That amazed me about him. Tom Baker, well, he was the Doctor I first watched growing up, so I have a bit of a fondness for him...

Rowana
May 14th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Heh. 7th. I didn't exactly grow up with him, my childhood was kinda between the old and new series. But my parents had 4th through 7th on tape...all of it. And 7th in Battlefield was the first one they showed us kids. I will always remember it! ^_^

Reefgirl
May 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I think my daughter's will be 9 and 10, she surprised the hell out of me yesterday when she said she wanted to watch it with me and then insisted we watch the 9th Doctor on DVD (We only got as far as the first ep tho) It's such a shame I have to work next week, this is mother and daughter bonding at it's best. Now if only I can get her to watch Stargate

Rowana
May 14th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Now if only I can get her to watch Stargate

One small step at a time....^_^ I just got my roommate to watch Atlantis and some of Doctor Who, but she's still resisting much more than that. ;)

Missster.Freeman
May 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Well, the first memory I have of Dr Who was Jon Pertwee. It was his final series as the Doctor, and he regenerated into 'my' Doctor, No. 4 - Tom Baker.

CatGoddess
May 14th, 2006, 04:41 PM
When I was growing up, I saw a few Doctor Who episodes on PBS, but what really got me hooked was the Key to Time series... so "my" Doctor is the 4th.

KillerMercury
May 14th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Sad to say that since I'm a 17 year old who's been deprived of the Doctor until now, my Doctor has to be #10. If Chris Eccleston stayed only a bit longer, he would've won it. But I fell in love with David Tennant right away.

Egeria
May 14th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I think my daughter's will be 9 and 10, she surprised the hell out of me yesterday when she said she wanted to watch it with me and then insisted we watch the 9th Doctor on DVD (We only got as far as the first ep tho) It's such a shame I have to work next week, this is mother and daughter bonding at it's best. Now if only I can get her to watch Stargate

By rights both my kids doctor should be #9. However they've been force fed #4 for ages. I asked my son who his doctor was and he said #4, but my daughter is a loyal #9 fan who still has difficulties accepting #10 even though she loves him to bits cos' he's just not her doctor.

Reefgirl
May 15th, 2006, 12:50 AM
I think my daughter has a thing for Mickey she was more interested in what he was up to than the Doctor and Rose

Easter Lily
May 15th, 2006, 03:26 AM
My doctor? In the Harriet Jones sort of way? :P
Tom Baker was the first doctor I ever saw...
However, my doctor is which ever one I happen to be watching at the time... even the Madness of Dr Six... well, after The Twin Dilemma anyhow.

Dallista
May 15th, 2006, 12:02 PM
The Fifth. He's not the first I saw, though (that was the Ninth). I guess it's because I think Peter Davison is utterly adorable (got quite the collection by now; just got the series 2 DVD set of Campion in the mail, squeeeeee). ;)

Flyboy
May 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM
The Fifth. He's not the first I saw, though (that was the Ninth). I guess it's because I think Peter Davison is utterly adorable (got quite the collection by now; just got the series 2 DVD set of Campion in the mail, squeeeeee). ;)
The what?

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
May 15th, 2006, 03:26 PM
The what?Campion was a mystery series, based on a series of novels. Peter Davison played the title role.

I caught a few episodes years back on PBS. It was okay. Click here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094430/).

yaaayoubetcha
May 15th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Campion was a mystery series, based on a series of novels. Peter Davison played the title role.

I caught a few episodes years back on PBS. It was okay. Click here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094430/).

I just took a look and added one dvd to my netflix list!

IMForeman
May 15th, 2006, 07:21 PM
The Seventh Doctor was the reigning Time Lord when I started watching way back when, so he would be the closest thing to "my Doctor." Though, I really have no favorite. The Doctor: Splendid chap... all of them.

Madeleine
May 16th, 2006, 03:32 AM
#5 was 'my' Doctor. He was the first I saw from his arrival to his departure. I remember seing him on the cover of RT with a cricket bat, and everyone at school next day talking about it. Much as I had liked his predecessor, the Fifth Doctor was far more straightforward and that appealed to me as a seven-year-old. I still like him, because he's idealistic and kind. And he had celery on his jacket.

Also he was played by the chap who played the dishy scallywag from All Creatures Great and Small; he was my first ever crush :o.

The Tenth Doctor isn't far behind though, and could well steal the Fifth's place in my heart...

indaeo
May 16th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I'm a complete new fan of the series, having never seen any Doctor Who growing up, so 9 is and will always be "my" Doctor.

Dallista
May 16th, 2006, 11:52 AM
The Tenth Doctor isn't far behind though, and could well steal the Fifth's place in my heart...
Five and Ten share equally important places in my heart. An advantage of the Fifth is that there are more novels (not to mention audo dramas) featuring him; an advantage of the Tenth is that he's the current Doctor, so all-new episodes to enjoy. Personality-wise, I adore the Fifth's vulnerability (which is a bit exaggerated sometimes, though, IMHO: the Third Doctor gets knocked about way more often, as far as I can tell!) and his looks, and just the way he interacts with his various companions, and the Tenth has this irresistable charm of being able to go from funny to dark in the blink of an eye.

Easter Lily
May 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Also he was played by the chap who played the dishy scallywag from All Creatures Great and Small; he was my first ever crush :o.
I will always remember him as Tristan...
I was amused to see him pop up in one of those Miss Marple mysteries... the Joan Hickson ones.

Lauradorable
May 16th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I'm a complete new fan of the series, having never seen any Doctor Who growing up, so 9 is and will always be "my" Doctor.
I'm in the same boat. I've yet to see the classic Doctor Who series, the ninth docotor is my first exposure. He's "my" doctor forever, and I love him dearly!

BC - 303
May 17th, 2006, 03:45 AM
ive seen a few clasic episodes throught my life, mainly Tom baker ones, so if there was no New who, my doctor would be him, but there is new who, so my doctor is David Tenent

tookfan03
May 17th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Now I am far too young to have seen any other doctor (besides 8, 9 and 1 of course) on TV. But I remember when I saw the movie, #8 was just the coolest man I had ever seen. The insanity and brilliance in one person was just great, so I forced my parents to buy me other things Doctor Who related. I threatened that I would turn out normal is they didn't. Any who, so they did and I died a happy fangirl.. Now I know this is possibly a longer explaination that you wanted but after watching the tv doctors, I would have to say MY doctor would be a tie between #4 and #8. They were just too cool to be unloved. Yup. Thats my answer. :indeed:

McKayRocks!
May 17th, 2006, 10:42 AM
The first Dr I can remember was Patrick Troughton but right at the end of his time as the Dr. So for me it is Jon Pertwee - grew up watching him from behind a cushion (couldn't get behind the sofa as it was against the wall! :D ).

But I have to say that David Tennant and the current series is fast becoming my favourite! I do love that they are resurrecting my fave baddies and keeping so true to the feeling of the show that I remember as a child! :cool: What I think is fab is that my own kids love it too and it is one of the few things we watch altogether! :)

Mx

elenmai
May 17th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Sad to say that since I'm a 17 year old who's been deprived of the Doctor until now, my Doctor has to be #10. If Chris Eccleston stayed only a bit longer, he would've won it. But I fell in love with David Tennant right away.

I agree. I've only seen 9 and 10, and I didn't really watch Christopher Eccleston much. And how can yuou not love David Tennant?

Enemyone
May 17th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I used to watch Doctor who back with the 4th doctor, but i would have to say my absolute fave is the 9Th with 10Th a close second.

sarge
May 17th, 2006, 01:58 PM
good ole Tom Baker ( i still have the scarf my mom knitted for me!)

the new guy's pretty good though....

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
May 17th, 2006, 03:23 PM
#9-Eccleston and #10 Tennant (what do you expect I never watched Doctor Who until the current edition), it's hard to tell which is my favorite.

Flyboy
May 17th, 2006, 04:09 PM
It's not a case of favourites though.... that's the thing. Your doctor is the one you associate more with.

Metarock Sam
May 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Well I beleive the 2nd Doctor is my Doctor but I am constantly related to Tom Baker Since Ive got really Curly hair like his !!! plus I do love my Jellybabies.

Flyboy
May 18th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Yes! I don't know what it is... but since the TV Movie... I've loved jelly babies..

tookfan03
May 18th, 2006, 01:26 PM
What are jelly babies? I know Tom Baker tried to shove them off on random people at some of the worst times possible on the show, and I know it's some form of candy... but why all the love? Why do you British people get to have better stuff than we do? :(

Flyboy
May 18th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Ok... they're TOTALLY different from Jelly Beans for one.

And they're not candy either.

http://www.acclaimimages.net/_gallery/_SM/0028-0404-1012-5104_SM.jpg

Those would be jelly babies.

A very british sweet. They're not hard. They're soft. And very chewy. And oh so lovely.

tookfan03
May 18th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Those look so good... You guys are so lucky to get those. Any one want to smuggle in some of these sweets to America for me?

Metarock Sam
May 18th, 2006, 02:08 PM
LOL. I love Jellybabies They rule !!!!!!!!!
Although I never seem to have enough !!!!

Reefgirl
May 18th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Do you bite the head off or do you go for the feet first?

I bite the head off

Metarock Sam
May 18th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I bite the head, then the leggs, and then the rest of the body. :D

Egeria
May 18th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks guys, I now have a jellybabies craving! *also eats the head first* :D

Metarock Sam
May 18th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I wonder if anyone does eat Jellybabies Leggs first ?

Flyboy
May 18th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I just stuff em in whole!

IMForeman
May 18th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys, I now have a jellybabies craving! *also eats the head first* :D

Like Steve on Coupling? ;)

Good ol' Steven Moffatt.

Naonak
May 24th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Anyway...

The first I saw was the Fourth Doctor, Tom Baker, but the first I watched regularly was the Ninth. However, considering that he was only there for a year, the Tenth Doctor will probably end up as "my" Doctor in the future.

creed462
May 24th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Still the 4th

Willow'sCat
May 24th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Thought I had already posted in here. But no.

Anyway, The 3rd. Jon Pertwee.

I know, I have said others in the past but he was the first I saw on the telly. ;)

LaCroix
May 27th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Jon Pertwee at first, then Tom Baker.