This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's so wrong with the Ori?

Ok, first time Gateworld poster here. And here's the generic "I'm sorry if this thread already exists" disclaimer. Enjoy.

Anyway, I've run across many people complaining about the Ori, about how one demenstional they are, and I just have a few things to say about that.

The Gou'ald have had 8 seasons plus their limited involvement in Season 9 to develop. The Ori have been here one season. It's pretty much a no brainer that they aren't going to be super deveolped right from the start.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Gou'ald weren't that developed in Season 1. Sure, we learned that they are parasites, and, through the movie and the first season we gather that they took humans from Earth, gathered them across the Galaxy, and used them as slave labor, Jafa, and hosts. We also learn that the Unas were their original hosts and that they have a form of government [for lack of a better word] run by "system lords." But other than that, it's all pretty generic stuff.

Instead of giving them reasons to be bad, they were inheriently bad from the get go, and you have Apophis divulging incredibly cheesy dialogue like "fool, I'll kill you." (Nox). How many Gou'ald did we even meet in the first season? Apophis, Hathor, Walskey and the Unas on Cimeria. Nierti's ship is seen in Singularity, but that's about it.

And what are their actions? An immediate attack, glowing eyes, the given Gou'ald voice, threats of death, and for Apophis and Hathor, the usage of a hand device here and there.

The Jaffa see more character development through Teal'c in this season than the Gou'ald do.

But fans enjoyed the show, and we got all of these wonderful seasons.

Now. Through the seasons, we got to meet more [interesting] System lords, learn of the Tok'ra offshoot, find the Gou'ald origin planet. But there's only so much you can do with "ROAR, I WILL PRETEND I'M YOUR GOD AND YOU WILL BE MY SLAVE, LET ME GLOW MY EYES AT YOU AND TALK ABOUT YOUR DEMISE WHILE I SEND JAFFA TO ATTACK." Thank God Anubis came along.

So anyway, we get the replicators to break up the "usual", and they get their own progression leading up to the totaly rad Replicarter invasion.

In truth, the Replicators are probably the most one-dimentional characters around. Hive minded insect-like creatures whos only initiative is to multiply. The human replicater angle was neat and added a little depth, but not much else could've been done. But still, they were a cool enemey and gave the Gou'ald [as well as everyone else] a run for their money due to their collectiveness, something the System Lords could not acchieve due to pride.

Enter the Ori, who I view as the new Replicaters rather than a replacement to the Gou'ald. They're the most powerful baddies we've come across, and they're here to convert our Galaxy to gain power from their worshipers, becoming even more powerful. That may be a pretty singleminded goal, but that doesn't negate their power and deffinately makes them more dangerous than a pack of prideful parasites who seem to war with eachother more than anything else.

But as a group of characters, the Ori are actually pretty deveopled already. They're the continuation of the Ancient backstory which is still being fleshed out. They add depth to that story, much like the Tokra added depth to the System Lords.

And their tactics haven't been one deminsional. Granted, they approach every planet with a chance to convert to Origin, but they deffinately have different means of achieving this goal. The plague and insects, the creation of a super gate to enter our galaxy, and a willingness to change pace and help one civilzation advance to overthrow another (Ethon). Seems to me that they're pretty good stratagists.

But anyway, in the light of the fact that they're actually the continuation of the long running ancient back story and that they've only had one season to develop, I don't see a need to complain. They've certainally been a breath of fresh air.

Firstly...welcome to GateWorld

Good post

I don't like the Ori...but I'm not going to go into as much detail as you did.

I don't like them at all...I loathe them...

I loved to hate the Goa'uld...I loved to hate the Replicators and I love to hate the Wraith

I enjoy watching all three of them...whereas the Ori...they just don't do it for me...I don't enjoy watching them
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
      Firstly...welcome to GateWorld

Good post

I don't like the Ori...but I'm not going to go into as much detail as you did.

I don't like them at all...I loathe them...

I loved to hate the Goa'uld...I loved to hate the Replicators and I love to hate the Wraith

I enjoy watching all three of them...whereas the Ori...they just don't do it for me...I don't enjoy watching them
      I feel the exact same way.

The Ori are just more of a rip off of the Goa'uld. We have no way to counter their offensive. If we do, i can't get past the fact that they are portrayed as gods. Then I ask myself. how are we able to defeat them. Finding an ancient weapon and activating it in the nick of time may have worked for the replicators and Goa'uld; i just don't think that will cut it for the Ori. It would be too cliche. Compared to the Replicators and Goa'uld, the Ori are on a far higher pedestal in terms of power.

Best Stargate quote:
      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
      Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
        I feel the exact same way.

The Ori are just more of a rip off of the Goa'uld. We have no way to counter their offensive. If we do, i can't get past the fact that they are portrayed as gods. Then I ask myself. how are we able to defeat them. Finding an ancient weapon and activating it in the nick of time may have worked for the replicators and Goa'uld; i just don't think that will cut it for the Ori. It would be too cliche. Compared to the Replicators and Goa'uld, the Ori are on a far higher pedestal in terms of power.

Mind providing a more constructive argument on why the Ori are a rip off of the Goa'uld?
        Personally, they don't appear as such to me. The Gou'ald pretended to be gods. For all intense and purposes, the Ori are gods. The Asgard protrayed themselves as Nordic Gods to protected planets, did they not?
        If it seems a rule that a more advanced race would appear god-like to weaker civilizations and use that to their advantage, what's so bad about the Ori doing that?
        I'll agree on the "using an ancient weapon in the nick of time" thing as being a bit cliched, and to be honest, even though I love the Replicarter/Dekara story, I liked it better when it was Anubis and the Earth outpost.
        Maybe we'll get the Ori the same way, which will be a bit disapointing, but let's not count the writers out just yet. Who knows? We may see a refreshing new demise method when it comes to the Ori? Maybe we'll see a final battle not unlike the Shadow's and Vorlons of Babylon 5 where everyone shows up to fight even though it's hopeless until the First Ones show up to set things straight.

But anyway, as for me, I enjoy the Ori. I think the Priors are neat, and I can't deny that having an ungodly powerful enemey invading our Galaxy while we're currently helpless and trying to find a way to stop it is pretty refreshing. We stood more of a chance with the Replicaters. At least projectile weaponry stopped them cold [save for the human forms, of course] The weapon on Dekara was more a means of convieniance to quickly quell the scurge.

But the Ori. They're something new. Something we might not survive.

Comment

Originally posted by ultimategurion
          Mind providing a more constructive argument on why the Ori are a rip off of the Goa'uld?
          Personally, they don't appear as such to me. The Gou'ald pretended to be gods. For all intense and purposes, the Ori are gods. The Asgard protrayed themselves as Nordic Gods to protected planets, did they not?
          If it seems a rule that a more advanced race would appear god-like to weaker civilizations and use that to their advantage, what's so bad about the Ori doing that?
          I'll agree on the "using an ancient weapon in the nick of time" thing as being a bit cliched, and to be honest, even though I love the Replicarter/Dekara story, I liked it better when it was Anubis and the Earth outpost.
          Maybe we'll get the Ori the same way, which will be a bit disapointing, but let's not count the writers out just yet. Who knows? We may see a refreshing new demise method when it comes to the Ori? Maybe we'll see a final battle not unlike the Shadow's and Vorlons of Babylon 5 where everyone shows up to fight even though it's hopeless until the First Ones show up to set things straight.

But anyway, as for me, I enjoy the Ori. I think the Priors are neat, and I can't deny that having an ungodly powerful enemey invading our Galaxy while we're currently helpless and trying to find a way to stop it is pretty refreshing. We stood more of a chance with the Replicaters. At least projectile weaponry stopped them cold [save for the human forms, of course] The weapon on Dekara was more a means of convieniance to quickly quell the scurge.

But the Ori. They're something new. Something we might not survive.
          I'm kind of dissapointed that the one difference between the Goa'uld and the Ori are that the Ori are basically gods.

Similarities Between Ori and Goa'uld
          - They've got the worship us or we'll strike you down routine
          - Resistance groups opposing them
          - Don't ascend their followers (Goa'uld not so much ascending but you know what I mean)
          - Their soldiers have basically the same armor and Weapons
          - The people that worship them give them their power (Jaffa)
          - Brainwashing

Did I miss any?

Best Stargate quote:
          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
          Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
            I'm kind of dissapointed that the one difference between the Goa'uld and the Ori are that the Ori are basically gods.

Similarities Between Ori and Goa'uld
            - They've got the worship us or we'll strike you down routine
            - Resistance groups opposing them
            - Don't ascend their followers (Goa'uld not so much ascending but you know what I mean)
            - Their soldiers have basically the same armor and Weapons
            - The people that worship them give them their power (Jaffa)
            - Brainwashing

Did I miss any?
            I love that diference
            Hallowed are the Ori !!!
            Follow the path of the Enlightment !
            Why Sg1 !!?? Why not me!!?? Why !!??

Comment

Ok, first time Gateworld poster here. And here's the generic "I'm sorry if this thread already exists" disclaimer. Enjoy.

The Gou'ald have had 8 seasons plus their limited involvement in Season 9 to develop. The Ori have been here one season. It's pretty much a no brainer that they aren't going to be super deveolped right from the start.
              I think the main issue is growth. The goa'uld were good for their time. In retrospect they do have a cheese factor but they did have personality. After eight seasons however, change, growth, and maturity is expected. What was good eight years ago doesn't necessarily work anymore and what it appears to be is that the Ori aren't smarter enemies with more intriguing personalities, they aren't more devious or more flawed but they do conform to a scifi cliche, one especially noted of the scifi channel: Bigger is better. And the Ori are big, perhaps too big. To the point at which defeating them is implausible.

In truth, the Replicators are probably the most one-dimentional characters around.
              This is true but you'll find a lot of people have little respect for them as a villain either. Basically it comes of as a series of steps. The goa'uld are bad, the replicators are worse, and Ori are the ultimate bad. If we defeat them, it signals the end of that trend, no more stargate. The best it can accomplish is that if the Ori don't end the series they will have to come back down to Earth and realize villains don't have to be increasingly powerful to be interesting. they just have to be smart. The Ori don't have to be smart, they are all powerful; it takes some of the fun out of it.

But anyway, in the light of the fact that they're actually the continuation of the long running ancient back story and that they've only had one season to develop, I don't see a need to complain. They've certainally been a breath of fresh air.
              That's just it, I don't see it as a natural continuation. The Ori basically popped up with no preface in season nine. There were no bread crumbs dropped over the last eight seasons that they were out there. It's nice that they are dealing with the ancients but there really was no preface for the Ori; their development is somewhat inorganic, whereas new villains could easily have come out of many of the stories they've done in the past few years. The Lucian Alliance, I think was one of their smarter ideas. It makes sense and it deals with issues that arrise in the absence of the Goa'uld.

The Ori aren't uninteresting but they are a bit overblown and unfortunately any defeat of them is going to either be by miraculous weapon, or by other ascended beings, none of which has anything in particular to do with SG1 (the show's namesake) saving the day. We've done that already. Rerun not required.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Anyway, I've run across many people complaining about the Ori, about how one demenstional they are, and I just have a few things to say about that.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Gou'ald weren't that developed in Season 1. Sure, we learned that they are parasites, and, through the movie and the first season we gather that they took humans from Earth, gathered them across the Galaxy, and used them as slave labor, Jafa, and hosts. We also learn that the Unas were their original hosts and that they have a form of government [for lack of a better word] run by "system lords." But other than that, it's all pretty generic stuff.

Instead of giving them reasons to be bad, they were inheriently bad from the get go, and you have Apophis divulging incredibly cheesy dialogue like "fool, I'll kill you." (Nox). How many Gou'ald did we even meet in the first season? Apophis, Hathor, Walskey and the Unas on Cimeria. Nierti's ship is seen in Singularity, but that's about it.

And what are their actions? An immediate attack, glowing eyes, the given Gou'ald voice, threats of death, and for Apophis and Hathor, the usage of a hand device here and there.

The Jaffa see more character development through Teal'c in this season than the Gou'ald do.

But fans enjoyed the show, and we got all of these wonderful seasons.

Now. Through the seasons, we got to meet more [interesting] System lords, learn of the Tok'ra offshoot, find the Gou'ald origin planet. But there's only so much you can do with "ROAR, I WILL PRETEND I'M YOUR GOD AND YOU WILL BE MY SLAVE, LET ME GLOW MY EYES AT YOU AND TALK ABOUT YOUR DEMISE WHILE I SEND JAFFA TO ATTACK." Thank God Anubis came along.

So anyway, we get the replicators to break up the "usual", and they get their own progression leading up to the totaly rad Replicarter invasion.

In truth, the Replicators are probably the most one-dimentional characters around. Hive minded insect-like creatures whos only initiative is to multiply. The human replicater angle was neat and added a little depth, but not much else could've been done. But still, they were a cool enemey and gave the Gou'ald [as well as everyone else] a run for their money due to their collectiveness, something the System Lords could not acchieve due to pride.

Enter the Ori, who I view as the new Replicaters rather than a replacement to the Gou'ald. They're the most powerful baddies we've come across, and they're here to convert our Galaxy to gain power from their worshipers, becoming even more powerful. That may be a pretty singleminded goal, but that doesn't negate their power and deffinately makes them more dangerous than a pack of prideful parasites who seem to war with eachother more than anything else.

But as a group of characters, the Ori are actually pretty deveopled already. They're the continuation of the Ancient backstory which is still being fleshed out. They add depth to that story, much like the Tokra added depth to the System Lords.

And their tactics haven't been one deminsional. Granted, they approach every planet with a chance to convert to Origin, but they deffinately have different means of achieving this goal. The plague and insects, the creation of a super gate to enter our galaxy, and a willingness to change pace and help one civilzation advance to overthrow another (Ethon). Seems to me that they're pretty good stratagists.

The Book of Origin steers much more controversy among fans than anything Goa'uld related, due to the religion issues it's actually mirroring, showing the Priors as not being so one sided.

Hallowed are the Ori.
                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

MarshAngel

I think the main issue is growth. The goa'uld were good for their time. In retrospect they do have a cheese factor but they did have personality. After eight seasons however, change, growth, and maturity is expected.
                  Well yeah, that's what I was driving at. The Goa'uld have had pretty much all the fleshing out that they can endure without being driven completely out of the realm of enjoyable villains.

If we defeat them, it signals the end of that trend, no more stargate. The best it can accomplish is that if the Ori don't end the series they will have to come back down to Earth and realize villains don't have to be increasingly powerful to be interesting. they just have to be smart. The Ori don't have to be smart, they are all powerful; it takes some of the fun out of it.
                  Personally, I would like to see Season 10 be the end of Sg-1. I love this show, but I don't want it to draw out like the Dragon Ball franchise did to the point where it's completely lack luster. Stargate Atlantis has a good thing going on, and it can pick up the pace after a splendid SG-1 ending. Maybe the production team can pull a Futurama and do an occasional direct to TV/DVD SG-1 movie.

That's just it, I don't see it as a natural continuation. The Ori basically popped up with no preface in season nine. There were no bread crumbs dropped over the last eight seasons that they were out there. It's nice that they are dealing with the ancients but there really was no preface for the Ori; their development is somewhat inorganic, whereas new villains could easily have come out of many of the stories they've done in the past few years. The Lucian Alliance, I think was one of their smarter ideas. It makes sense and it deals with issues that arrise in the absence of the Goa'uld.
                  The Tok'ra were plopped on our laps with the arrival of Jolinar. Out of no where we run into human form replicaters. The Tollanans, without prior mention, are rescued by SG-1 even though we didn't exactly find clues of more advanced human societies in the Galaxy prior to seeing them. I could probably list many more abrupt appearances to point out that the Ori are not unique to the series as far as introduction goes. These earlier instances didn't weaken the show's integrity, but they did add new story arcs in the process.

So, when the Ori show up, I just view it as I would have viewed the Tok'ra when they appeared, or the Tollanans, or human form replicaters, etc. It's a big universe, and even though Daniel returned a second time apparently with some of his quasi-ascended knowledge intact, it's obvious that he still doesn't know everything.

The Ancients haven't exactly made it easy for us to learn about them, so why should they leave easily accessible information about the Ori?

The Ori aren't uninteresting but they are a bit overblown and unfortunately any defeat of them is going to either be by miraculous weapon, or by other ascended beings, none of which has anything in particular to do with SG1 (the show's namesake) saving the day. We've done that already. Rerun not required.
                  I would agree that the writers have maybe bitten off more than they can chew, but I'm not ready to make that judgement just yet. I'll wait till after we actually get to see this season and how things play out.
                  Who knows, maybe SG-1 will all get ascended and become a super hero team [no]
                  I'll just hope that the ending to all of this is original, well thought out, and that all of the lose ends of the entire series will be explored before its all said and done.

Mister Oraghan,

The Book of Origin steers much more controversy among fans than anything Goa'uld related, due to the religion issues it's actually mirroring, showing the Priors as not being so one sided.

Hallowed are the Ori.
                  Good point, I'll add that to my roster of why the Ori are better developed than some people give them credit.

Comment

The part with the killing innosent people kind of makes up my mind for me.

Mattathias

Comment

Ya know i really don't like the ori like i liked the Gould....The ori don't fight nearly enuf and plus, i dunno they're just boring! i like the gould weaponry better too... like zats...

Comment

Originally posted by John-a-holic
                        Ya know i really don't like the ori like i liked the Gould....The ori don't fight nearly enuf and plus, i dunno they're just boring! i like the gould weaponry better too... like zats...
                        And zat fire costs a lot to make

I appreciate your preference and your right to it is a given.

However...

Mind if I ask how the Ori don't fight enough?

Up until the end of the season, the Ori were building their invasion fleet and preparing their followers for battle. Even with such a massive task, they still managed to send Priors to our galaxy to not only convert as many people as possible [to gain more power], but to attack using a plague that's whiped out untold amounts of people, unleash a particularly nasty insect menace, and implode at least two planets in an attempt to create a super gate that would allow passage for the Ori fleet. In the mean time, they find time to pit races against eachother, as seen in Ethon, and turn a Sodan warrior into a "zombie" to wipe out his breatheran.

And weaponry. The Rand satelite oblitorated Promethius. The Ori ship beams wiped out our little "greeting party." Throw in the aforementioned biological weapons, the force attack used by several Prior's, and those staff-like weapons carried by the followers.

To me that seems like they've done a lot in S9

Comment

And zat fire costs a lot to make

I appreciate your preference and your right to it is a given.

However...

Mind if I ask how the Ori don't fight enough?

Up until the end of the season, the Ori were building their invasion fleet and preparing their followers for battle. Even with such a massive task, they still managed to send Priors to our galaxy to not only convert as many people as possible [to gain more power], but to attack using a plague that's whiped out untold amounts of people, unleash a particularly nasty insect menace, and implode at least two planets in an attempt to create a super gate that would allow passage for the Ori fleet. In the mean time, they find time to pit races against eachother, as seen in Ethon, and turn a Sodan warrior into a "zombie" to wipe out his breatheran.

And weaponry. The Rand satelite oblitorated Promethius. The Ori ship beams wiped out our little "greeting party." Throw in the aforementioned biological weapons, the force attack used by several Prior's, and those staff-like weapons carried by the followers.

To me that seems like they've done a lot in S9
                          I think he meant a direct attack. What they did in s9 was more of a Cold War approach.

Best Stargate quote:
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

Personally, I feel the Ori make a great new foe. I really enjoyed what I saw in Season 9, and think things will only get more interesting where they are concerned this coming season and beyond.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

You know what would make the Ori even better, if they destroyed Earth, and conquered the Milky Way galaxy. Hey, I advocate them losing this war, the Ori should win.

Comment

Working...
                              X