This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul McGann's "New Who" A Speculatory Thread

I seem to have gone post crazy this afternoon... oh well, all in the name of avoiding Psychology...

In any case, on with the topic:

We of course all know that "Doctor Who - The Movie" was simply a feature length pilot episode to test the water to see if the world was ready for a Who come back. Evidentally it wasn't. I mentioned in another thread that the movie still retains a lot of classic who elements and styles that the New Who doesnt.

What do you think the series would have been like had Paul McGann's series taken off? How would things have been different? Would it have been better or worse? Could an American company really recapture the magic of Who that has been so well recaptured with Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
    I seem to have gone post crazy this afternoon... oh well, all in the name of avoiding Psychology...

In any case, on with the topic:

We of course all know that "Doctor Who - The Movie" was simply a feature length pilot episode to test the water to see if the world was ready for a Who come back. Evidentally it wasn't. I mentioned in another thread that the movie still retains a lot of classic who elements and styles that the New Who doesnt.

What do you think the series would have been like had Paul McGann's series taken off? How would things have been different? Would it have been better or worse? Could an American company really recapture the magic of Who that has been so well recaptured with Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant?
    The Americans are brilliant at making Sci-Fi but when it comes to Doctor Who, it takes us British to do it

But if the movie had kicked a restart in the Doctor Who franchise then it would have all been different, and I for one am gratefull that it didn't after all we wouldn't have got CE and DT as the doctors....or seen it befor the Americans

Comment

i think paul Mcganns doctor had sum style that ce n dt dont have however i'm glad it didnt kick off in the states because CE n DT rock my would !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
        The Americans are brilliant at making Sci-Fi but when it comes to Doctor Who, it takes us British to do it

But if the movie had kicked a restart in the Doctor Who franchise then it would have all been different, and I for one am gratefull that it didn't after all we wouldn't have got CE and DT as the doctors....or seen it befor the Americans
        It is true that Americans make great sci-fi, but not network television. (maybe the X files is a good Scifi network show in the last ten years) I would have died before I turned over the Doctor Who Franchise to the FOX network! I did truly enjoy Paul McGann's doctor and I was saddened when it seemed like RTD tossed it away like a moldy tangerine...

Great Sig by Bella

Comment

Sad indeed, I recently watched "Shada" on the BBC website, a great audio story with basic animation. A very good 4th doctor remake starring the 8th doctor. There's something about his humour and sarcasm that I absolutely adore. He's not quite as manic, but he's definitely eccentric. He really could have been used to a great advantage, and whilst I do love the New Who we have now... part of me wishes I could have seen how the much darker and more adult Paul McGann series might have played out. I mean, the movie had a much different style to the new series, and I think the Daleks may have been very different. I would have loved to have seen how they'd have turned out. I've never been bothered about seeing thetime war on screen, but it WOULD give McGann the chance to return as the Doctor. I'd love to see that.

I think they key thing regarding style is that the New Who we have likes to make everything very flash and impressive, even the scarier enemies are sorta flash. The daleks and the Cybermen for instance. I have a hunch the McGann series would have shown less spotless daleks. Daleks moving along seedy American backstreets, looking just as seedy themselves. Dark metal. Dirt covering the metalic plates. Enemies that belong in a horror movie as opposed to the brighter New Who.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett

I think Doctor Who could have come back at anytime. In fact, I don't think it needed to be cancelled in the first place. It's the most adaptable television series ever.

Some of the people involved in the decision-making process of that movie had no understanding of what Doctor Who was about and it was pretty evident on-screen.

The worst people to put in control of such decisions are American television executives...and Fox is about as bad as it gets.

Sure, Americans or people of any other nationality could produce a successful Doctor Who series, but the show has been inherently British. That's part of it success, so it's much easier to let the British do it and have it naturally retain that feel. The franchise is more widely respected there and produced from public funds, so you're much more likely get a better quality series.

Comment

There's a summary of a few of the episodes they had planned here and frankly it sounds terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by in circles
                There's a summary of a few of the episodes they had planned here and frankly it sounds terrible.
                I'm glad they decided to go with the continuation instead of that reinterpretation.

I had previously read some of those outlines before, but my goodness...any part of the stories that Leeky touched was awful.

Anybody could do a much better job composing stories. Did they actually have to pay him for that?

I mean...yuck!

Comment

Originally posted by in circles
                  That stuff is terrible !!!
                  I mean Spider Daleks !! what were they thinking !!!!!!!11
                  Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
                    Then you would think the TVM should be widely considered brilliant. It was Produced, Written and directed by Brits.
                    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Meh. Tbh... British programming... not always good, in fact I'd say mostly poor. But it takes a Brit to keep the quality of a British concept up. Dr Who IS British and requires a Brit team to make it. Otherwise it would lose its feel. Noy saying American companys are bad, hey, my other favourite shows are X Files and Stargate :-p

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X