• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live Together, Die Alone (223)

Visit the Episode GuideLOST SEASON TWO
    LIVE TOGETHER, DIE ALONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 223

When Desmond returns he and Locke plan to seize control of the hatch from Eko. Desmond remembers the life that brought him to the island, while Jack and Sayid come up with a plan to thwart Michael's attempt to lead the group into the Others' trap.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 23 November 2007, 05:42 PM.

This thread was created late, and I know a lot of other threads have picked up on this episode, but we'll see what we can discuss.

What the heck language were those researchers speaking in the end? Some think it was Portugese, but others think Russian.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
      This thread was created late, and I know a lot of other threads have picked up on this episode, but we'll see what we can discuss.

What the heck language were those researchers speaking in the end? Some think it was Portugese, but others think Russian.
      Apparantly it was Portugese.

But the number on their screen at the end? 7418880?
      7418880 = 4 x 8 x 15 x 16 x 23 x 42

The four-toed statue was probably the most intriguing thing about the episode, even though there were lots of other good parts- like what's gonna happen to Jack, Kate and Sawyer, what happened to Desmond, Eko and Locke, and wtf is up with Charlie?

Comment

Am I wrong, or was the last 2 minutes, with the 2 men and the call to Penelope the first scenes in the whole of 2 seasons to occur not in the presence of a crash survivor or one of their flashbacks?
        "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan
          Am I wrong, or was the last 2 minutes, with the 2 men and the call to Penelope the first scenes in the whole of 2 seasons to occur not in the presence of a crash survivor or one of their flashbacks?
          It's also the first non-flashback scene to take place off the island.

Comment

It was an interesting episode, generated way more questions than answers.

At least we know that the Losties hatch serves a real function now and pushing the button isn't some sort of experiment. But what was up with the Pearl? Were the stations originally meant to be self-contained, where the occupants never went outside and then the neumatic tube was suppose to collected from someone on the outside or were the notebooks never meant to be collected?

Clearly the Dharma foundation is still functioning since it dropped the food for the Lostie hatch. We know for sure that Dharma was still recruiting and sending people to the hatches after 1991 since Kelvin joined them after the gulf war. So what are the Others? Ex-Dharma employees or people that crashed on the island that went crazy? Or were affected by something on the island? The sickness? The incident?

The only thing I really didn't like about this episode was Libby. I think the writers were like, oh we killed her off without resolving her backstory, we better throw something in about her. She's now connected to two people that are on the island, Desmond and Hurley and in more than just a passing way like most of the backstories are told. To me, that has to make her important and I wonder if the writers made a mistake in killing her off.

Comment

Interesting article in Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...052401841.html

BTW - my husband speaks fluent Portugese and he said there was no Portugese spoken by those two guys at the end of the show. He thought the language sounded Slavic.

Comment

I agree. I thought the language sounded slavic, course it could have been scandinavian too.

Brilliant ending, though I thought the chick in the end was working outside of Dharma and trying to bring the Hanso Foundation because if she was a part of Dharma, wouldn't she already know the location of the island? Henry as the leader of the group wasn't too surprising, I suspected that he might have been. What a way to end the season, a two minute flash to the real world (what's going on off the island).
                http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Remember Penelope's comment about "If you have enough money and devotion you can find anyone". I think we'll find out that Penelope is doing just that, searching for Desmond. I bet her father is somehow related to Dharma/Hanso. Perhaps that's how she learned of the magneticism and it's significance.
                  "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan
                    Remember Penelope's comment about "If you have enough money and devotion you can find anyone". I think we'll find out that Penelope is doing just that, searching for Desmond. I bet her father is somehow related to Dharma/Hanso. Perhaps that's how she learned of the magneticism and it's significance.
                    Penelope's dad was that Widmore Corp. honcho, and we've already seen Widmore is tied to Hanso Corp. Gonna be interesting to see how it continues to merge together.

Comment

Remember Libby said the boat was named after her, and the boat was called Elizabeth, so is libby short for Elizabeth, i know its prob a dumb question. also whats withs all the tubes from the Pearl ending up in a field??? And desmond not pressing the button in time caused the plane to crash, now thats cool. Cant wait for season 3.

Oh yeah, what was with desmond saying that he didnt press the button on the 22 of september 2004??? i thought it was set in 2005, im so confused

Comment

Originally posted by ste
                        Remember Libby said the boat was named after her, and the boat was called Elizabeth, so is libby short for Elizabeth, i know its prob a dumb question. also whats withs all the tubes from the Pearl ending up in a field??? And desmond not pressing the button in time caused the plane to crash, now thats cool. Cant wait for season 3.

Oh yeah, what was with desmond saying that he didnt press the button on the 22 of september 2004??? i thought it was set in 2005, im so confused
                        Maybe the writers got confused with their timelines (that never happens, does it?).

The show has been on for two years, although the Losties have been on the island less than a year in "their" time.

I finally got into thefuselage this morning and there is speculation that Kelvin lured Desmond out of the hatch, and far away to purposely make him miss hitting the numbers on Sept. 22 - that the crash WAS planned all along. After all, we don't know what Kelvin was up to, or where he went all those times he left Desmond alone in the hatch.

Comment

According to Wikipedia:
                          Spoiler:
                          ...A jolting cut to arctic snow swirling in howling wind. As the camera pulls back we find ourselves looking out a window from a cramped research or monitoring outpost. Two men wearing heavy winter garments play chess, chiding each other in Brazilian Portugese. Suddenly, one of the men notices a blinking red light on one of the computers; the screen shows the number 7418880 (the result of multiplying all of The Numbers together) and a dialog box that reads "electromagnetic anomaly detected."

One of the men frantically cries that they have "missed it again." The other shouts that they haven't, desperately runs through some files, and orders the other to make a call with their yellow phone. Penelope, Desmond's wealthy flame, is seen taking a phone from a night-table, which lies next to a picture of her and Desmond (the very same photo he has always kept with him). The Portuguese-speaking men then tell Penelope that they think they've "found it."

Comment

Originally posted by Arative
                            It was an interesting episode, generated way more questions than answers.

The only thing I really didn't like about this episode was Libby. I think the writers were like, oh we killed her off without resolving her backstory, we better throw something in about her. She's now connected to two people that are on the island, Desmond and Hurley and in more than just a passing way like most of the backstories are told. To me, that has to make her important and I wonder if the writers made a mistake in killing her off.
                            Somewhere (tvguide.com maybe) I read an interview with the writers and they had mixed feelings about killing Libby. In part it was due to the actress getting another job. Another part had to do with killing Ana Lucia and the fact that most fans would not care if Ana was killed. Libby on the other hand... people were sad about that and it would be more of a shock. In the same interview they also said that Libby would continue to appear in other people's flashbacks into season 3.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure

I finally got into thefuselage this morning and there is speculation that Kelvin lured Desmond out of the hatch, and far away to purposely make him miss hitting the numbers on Sept. 22 - that the crash WAS planned all along. After all, we don't know what Kelvin was up to, or where he went all those times he left Desmond alone in the hatch.
                              That would make sense. Seems to me there was a group of Dharma folks on the "outside" that worked to get specific people on the plane knowing it would crash on the island.

Comment

Working...
                              X