This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why use a ZPM to get to Atlantis?

I've no idea whut a ZPM is aside from what they've explained in "Rising", but my question is, why use the ZPM to get to Atlantis when they need it to power the base left behind in Antartica? I'm asking, becuase O'Neill built a device capable of powering the 8th Chevron in "The Fifth Race" when he first had the knowledge of the Ancients downloaded to his brain, and it was used again in "Point of View", the 2nd alternate universe episode. Now, if they left it in that reallity so Earth could dial the Azguard if neccessary while in poor shape, that would make sense, but if they brought it back, why not use it to dial Atlantis? They got it to work a 2nd time, why not a 3rd?

It was capable of getting to Ida, we have no idea if it can reach Pegasus.
    sigpic

Comment

Also we lost the device, not here were no blueprints, and yes there are many many many topics on this!!!!

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

O'Neil no longer posesses the knownledge of the ancients needed to build another "home made ZPM" and the first one blew off.

It took TWO CARTERS to make it work again for ONCE before it totally broke down.

Now, I guess they just don't know how to build another one?
        Makes sense to me

Comment

Originally posted by Hellcat
          O'Neil no longer posesses the knownledge of the ancients needed to build another "home made ZPM" and the first one blew off.

It took TWO CARTERS to make it work again for ONCE before it totally broke down.

Now, I guess they just don't know how to build another one?
          Makes sense to me
          Ah, I forgot it took two Carters to work before going brokety for good. lol

Comment

Did they ever actually say it broke for good?
            Rocky

Comment

We don't have the jerry rigged Nq Generator, that one was probably left in AU-SGC.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                We don't have the jerry rigged Nq Generator, that one was probably left in AU-SGC.
                You'd think that they'd be smart enough to take it back with them.
                Rocky

Comment

The AU-SGC probably had more use of it, since they've been invaded.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                    The AU-SGC probably had more use of it, since they've been invaded.
                    I don't think the SGA needed it at all, the Asgard helped them out and what good would it do them anyway? They've got bigger probelms on their hands, like fixing the damage the Goa'uld did.
                    Rocky

Comment

I've no idea whut a ZPM is aside from what they've explained in "Rising", but my question is, why use the ZPM to get to Atlantis when they need it to power the base left behind in Antartica?
                      Zero Point Energy is the method by which the ZPM's work. In a nutshell, it's energy created by fluctuations in spacetime.

The way I understand it, a ZPM is a device that is able to contain a small volume of sub-space dimension, and the zero-point energy produce by that captured volume is what produces the power.
                      In theory, zero-point energy should never "run out". It's a property of timespace, and even when the universe is cold and dark, zero-point energy will still exist. It's the lowest form of energy possible, which is why it's called zero point energy.
                      McKay was saying that when a ZPM reaches maximum entropy it will no longer produce power, and there's no way to reverse it. So I guess what McKay is talking about is the captured sub-space reaching maximum entropy, not sub-space in general.

The reason why they use it? Two steps forward, one step back. That's what I love about the show. They don't flood us with cool alien technology, we have to work for it and learn how to use it.
                      Think about the X-301! That was cool technology, but the recall device was a step back. However, by making that vehicle we were able to design an even better vehicle in the X-302. Two steps forward, one step back
                      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                        Zero Point Energy is the method by which the ZPM's work. In a nutshell, it's energy created by fluctuations in spacetime.

The way I understand it, a ZPM is a device that is able to contain a small volume of sub-space dimension, and the zero-point energy produce by that captured volume is what produces the power.
                        In theory, zero-point energy should never "run out". It's a property of timespace, and even when the universe is cold and dark, zero-point energy will still exist. It's the lowest form of energy possible, which is why it's called zero point energy.
                        McKay was saying that when a ZPM reaches maximum entropy it will no longer produce power, and there's no way to reverse it. So I guess what McKay is talking about is the captured sub-space reaching maximum entropy, not sub-space in general.

The reason why they use it? Two steps forward, one step back. That's what I love about the show. They don't flood us with cool alien technology, we have to work for it and learn how to use it.
                        Think about the X-301! That was cool technology, but the recall device was a step back. However, by making that vehicle we were able to design an even better vehicle in the X-302. Two steps forward, one step back
                        Sounds like there's another "Carter" out there. lol

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Working...
                        X