PDA

View Full Version : How many seasons should SGA run??

deltsigpun
May 5th, 2006, 10:51 PM
First off let me say that Im a huge fan of both shows, The whole point of SG1 was to find the lost city so that we could get technology and advanced weapons. So, when it was found, SGA was created to do just that while SG1 remained in the MW. And in the end finding atlantis should provide all weapons/tech/ and advanded science SG1 will need to solve the MW problems. Thus I think SGA should only run for about 5 seasons, I think the writers should speed up the technilogicaol development of SGA and the atlantis teams should begin fully understanding the city and the tech. Solve the wraith problem, 5 seasons should be plenty for that. then bring the city back to the MW. Merge SGA and SG1 into a new show called Startgate: Command and go from there. Doing this maybe the best way to ensure stare remains on the air for years to come, since a new show would allow for some new cast members and older cast members who want to quit or are to expensive to retain can slowly be filtered out.

Some ideas for Stargate Command: Possibley restore the great allience and make the stargate public. Have the team be: Mitchell, Shepard, Daniel, and Rodney. Have tealc leading the Free Jaffa Nation by this time and have Carter and Jack Married with a few guest apperiences each season. Use the City as the new base of operations. and biuld a fleet of BC-307's (the new and improved earth ships)

Teelie
May 5th, 2006, 11:38 PM
I think SGA should run for as long as it's got good stories and keeps entertaining us. If it can manage half as much as SG-1, that's 5 years and I think they could do that and more before running out of steam. The only downside is they'll be treading closely to stories already done in SG-1, but then as they say, "everything's been done before already." :p

The SG:C will itself run into the same problems SG-1 has now and SG-A will in the future only more so because they'll have two series to contend with instead of one. You'll notice that as Star Trek tried this, it got progressively worse until the final incarnation was cancelled after a slow, painful death.

Stuey1221
May 6th, 2006, 05:54 AM
I think SGA should run for as long as it's got good stories and keeps entertaining us. If it can manage half as much as SG-1, that's 5 years and I think they could do that and more before running out of steam. The only downside is they'll be treading closely to stories already done in SG-1, but then as they say, "everything's been done before already." :p

The SG:C will itself run into the same problems SG-1 has now and SG-A will in the future only more so because they'll have two series to contend with instead of one. You'll notice that as Star Trek tried this, it got progressively worse until the final incarnation was cancelled after a slow, painful death.

The SG:C? Whats all that about?! Asin Stargate Command or is there a new spin off coming?

sueKay
May 6th, 2006, 06:08 AM
SGA Should run for as long as SG1 :)

BTW...Here's a thought...

A lot of people are criticising Atlantis just now...but had SG1 been under the same ammount of scrutiny back then as Atlantis is right now...I think most people would have been screaming that the show had jumped the shark.

Atlantis is just as strong as SG1 was at the same juncture...I'm not talking about ratings as SG1 was still on Showtime during it's 2nd and 3rd seasons (thus a comparison is not really possible) but in terms of quality.

Therefore...I think Atlantis has a lot of years left in it.

Major Zoidberg
May 6th, 2006, 06:29 AM
I think the key to atlantis' sirvival will be how much they are prepared to shake things up, keep it fresh. For example going back to being cut off from earth, put our characters through truama's.

If it keeps going at the season 2 standard it ain't gonna last long :(

Brigadier General jackson
May 6th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Sg-1 13

Sga 6

Raziel
May 6th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Bring together the two series?....

I don't think so.... each one have it's own personality, and bring them together would seem like they couldn't survive with their own resources.... I think they are good just as they are.... and last for many years....

IMHO.....

:ronan:

Teelie
May 6th, 2006, 08:33 AM
The SG:C? Whats all that about?! Asin Stargate Command or is there a new spin off coming?

That was what the first poster, deltsigpun suggested. That the two series form one new series.

deltsigpun
May 6th, 2006, 07:18 PM

Stargate: Command was what the writers were leaning towards renaming SG1 when season 9 began.

ShadowMaat
May 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Hmmm... I guess it depends on how committed the writers (and SCIFI) are to the franchise.

Right now I'd say both series will be lucky to survive the upcoming seasons.

Combining the two shows sounds utterly moronic, but on the other hand, that also seems to be what the producers are trying to do. If it DOES happen, it'll happen without me. ;)

Stuey1221
May 7th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Stargate: Command was what the writers were leaning towards renaming SG1 when season 9 began.

OOOooooooooh!

Nah... personally i think re-naming a series would be confusing to newcomers. Maybe im the only one who thinks that but i could see it messing the franchise up.

freyr's mother
May 7th, 2006, 03:30 AM
SGA is currently signed on to do six seasons.

Primus Commander Woden
May 7th, 2006, 03:46 AM
i think Stargate Atlantis has to do at least 5 seasons, ideally half of what Stargate does, really when stargate ends, stargate Atlantis should end and then they should compine both shows in one long movie to finish it all off, i personally think that is the best way to finish it, and admit it, all us fans want an amazing movie to finish off!!! one that does the show justice and one that has Jack and Hammond in it like they were from seasons 1-7

SmallTimePerson
May 7th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Merge SGA and SG1 into a new show called Startgate: Command and go from there.

Love the whole "Startgate: Command" thing, but that would be a whole new series, not a spin-off or merge. Come to think of it I've never heard of a startgate...

Seriously though I think the 5-7 season mark is around it for SG:A, especially since SG-1 has exhausted alot of story lines (refer back to Joe Flanigan's troubles with Epiphany (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2/212.shtml#production))

And I agree also with the Idea of both shows ending with a movie, although any movie would have to link with the first one, for people who haven't watched the series, so Atlantis' part would be somewhat non-existant.

hapiun
May 7th, 2006, 04:36 AM
If the film idea does come off tho, it would have to be with the original characters from the start. Other wise it just wouldnt be right.

I think they should keep the series going as long as they can, but no so it gets boring.

nemisis
May 7th, 2006, 05:06 AM

realy thats great we all should try get more people to watch it to bost it reatings lol to add a couple more seasons lol (that could never hapen from just us lot lol)

freyr's mother
May 7th, 2006, 05:23 AM
As much as I want to see a stargate movie combining all characters, ships, and resorces from both shows, I also don't want either of the shows to end. A stargate movie, would mean the end of both shows. If they were going to do a movie though, they would need about a 3.5 hour movie w/ P Deluise, David Deluise, and Peter Jackson directing.

ShadowMaat
May 7th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Just because SGA is signed for six seasons doesn't mean they'll get them. If the ratings take a big enough dip SCIFI could still pull the plug.

It depends on whether or not audiences are willing to accept an SGA that looks to be mostly a retread of SG-1 complete with characters and plotlines.

Teelie
May 7th, 2006, 07:21 AM
SGA has and does do its own storylines that aren't a retread, though if you're against the series, you'll only see the negative. As I said before, it's hard to come up with original storylines that aren't in some way a remake or copy of some previous story.

I don't remember SG-1 having anything like the Wraith for instance. Or the technology of the Ancients so readily at their hands. Or the puddle jumpers, or a recurring human enemy like the Genii. But I actually like the series. :)

I do see the negative though and it does do the occasional SG-1 type storylines but it can't be helped. After 9 years of SG-1 doing 20+ episodes a season (200+ this season), it's not easy to come up with a completely seperate story from anything you've done before.

Renaming or merging both series isn't an answer either. The few times I can think of a series being renamed (Seaquest to Seaquest: 2032 and Enterprise to Star Trek: Enterprise) did nothing for the ratings or storylines and both tanked shortly after.

The Ori
May 7th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Hopefully SGA runs as long as SG1, with the new enemy The Asurans hope fully this new story arc can do some good for the series, but I hope that it goes for realy long. But I agree Atlantis should now be able to find some more technology. Hopefully they get another ZPM and it gives extra power to Atlantis and they find new things in the city.

ShadowMaat
May 7th, 2006, 08:18 AM
SGA has and does do its own storylines that aren't a retread, though if you're against the series, you'll only see the negative. As I said before, it's hard to come up with original storylines that aren't in some way a remake or copy of some previous story.
I'm not against the series. I love Atlantis. But I hate what SG-1 has become and when I watch some episodes of Atlantis and read the spoilers about upcoming episodes, I'm seeing more of SG-1 creep in and less of Atlantis making itself known. I don't want to see "SG-1 with an Atlantis twist" and I disagree with the idea that:

After 9 years of SG-1 doing 20+ episodes a season (200+ this season), it's not easy to come up with a completely seperate story from anything you've done before.
That sounds more like an excuse for laziness than anything else. And if after nine seasons and whatever else you honestly can't come up with anything original/separate then maybe you should stop trying. Let the shows die. Or, at the very least, bring in some fresh people who CAN create new stories and who CAN breathe new life into the shows. If it's a matter of burnout on the part of the writers then stop forcing them to write so much (or, rather, stop indulging them in their efforts to control every little thing).

Sometimes a fresh, "outside" perspective is what's needed to help gain new insights into an old thing. I think such is the case with Stargate. Both of them.

Falcon Horus
May 7th, 2006, 11:46 AM
As long as the writers can come up with great stories, I'm sure Atlantis can go on for a while.

Merging the two shows would just be downright wrong. Because people would get confused, I mean what would be the goal of the show? Are we still trying to figure out the Ancients or the Ori or the Wraith?
And which characters would be allowed to be in this new show?
It wouldn't be fair to certain characters.

For me personally, and I have said this before, I'd prefer Atlantis to be as independent as possible from SG1. I want to see how live goes in the City and the people living in it. I want to see the characters developed, make them truly 3D instead of keeping them 2D.
I don't want to see members of the SGC hopping in every now and then. They have a visitation right probably but not every day of the month. Leave it up to Dr. Weir and her expedition team to search the City and the Pegasus Galaxy.

Making a movie to end it all... I'm not even sure that's still possible. We can't use the story they used in Stargate (the movie) because we dealt with the Goa'ulds quite succesfully. We would have to deal with the Ori but I don't think it could be solved in a little over 2 hours, it would be too rushed.
And if you do wrap it up in a movie, you'd have to make two-parts because after all Atlantis has a right to end in a proper way as well.

And finally I want to add that I love Atlantis. I'm crazy about the show. And the same goes for SG1, though that love has lessened a little in season 9 (at least in the first half of the season but brighter in the second half). So I'd love to see SG1 and SGA go on for many more seasons, of course that's still not up to us fans to decide about but to the writers, creators and SciFi or MGM.

Jurath
May 12th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Okay, as far as a movie goes, we are getting a movie, read the gateworld articles and you'll see that they're making a movie, based on SG1's seasons 1-8, its gonna be a standalone movie, it may not even have the SG1 or SGA cast, but it has been said that as long as MGM continue supporting SG as their flagship show, there will be a third show, dont ask what its about, but their will be a third.

Now thats sorted out the movie ending SG1 and SGA, Atlantis will only do a maximum of 5 seasons at the moment, they cant milk it too much, although when they bring out the 3rd show, it may breathe so much life into the shows we may get 10-15 seasons of SGA and 20 of SG1 in total, one of TPTB has said that they want it to go for another ten years.

One last thing, check it out, THE SGC

ShadowMaat
May 12th, 2006, 03:48 AM
They can say "We're making a movie!" as often as they want, but I'm not going to believe it until the movie is in the can. Remember, they said "We're making a movie!" all through season six, promising that it would help to launch Atlantis. Well, we got Atlantis- eventually- but the movie was scrapped and turned into Lost City.

I don't think a big screen Stargate movie is a sustainable project. TV movie, maybe, but out in theatres? No way. And I think that even SCIFI will realize that something of that nature will only LOSE them money, not make it.

I'll bet the movie deal gets scrapped.

As for Atlantis's shelf-life, you're much more optimistic than I, Jurath. I'll be surprised is it lasts even five years- although if it does, I think it'll keep going. You say they can't "milk it" that much, but just look at SG-1. It's so far past its expiration date that even the marrow has been sucked out of the cash cow. No, if Atlantis IS gonna last, it's going to last long enough for some of its core fans to begin hating it, thus following in SG-1's footsteps. ;)

Will there be a third series? I guess we'll see. If they try it, I think it'll kill the entire franchise and that the third series will be a complete wash.

I guess we'll see.

prion
May 12th, 2006, 03:49 AM
I'd be happy with five really good seasons. While SG1 is now going into season 10, the last few seasons haven't been the most memorable. I'd rather see quality over quantity any day. ANd I'd rather see SGA totally independent of SG1, as Trek kept merging their shows and it just diluted them to the point that, well, where is Trek now?? ;)

Allestian
May 12th, 2006, 03:50 AM
I'm hoping for at least 7/8 seasons. I have a lot of good ideas for this show.

:D

NakedJehutyV2
May 12th, 2006, 03:54 PM

lily
May 12th, 2006, 08:42 PM

(based on that I think it was with s8 that SG-1 started to go downhill, but the quality was very good up to s7, IMHO)

sgeureka
May 13th, 2006, 06:27 AM
For the most part, I agree with the thread starter. IMO, the achievements of the Atlantis expedition serve Earth, and SGA without an Earth based series would work against this. As long as SG-1 is on the air with new episodes, there's no point in stopping SGA, and if for whatever reason SG-1 gets cancelled, there should be a another series with the SG Command concept. All IMO of course.

I hope SGA will run at least four seasons, but if S3 and S4 do lack the same things as in S2, then I say it's the moment to stop right there. -- I could be surprised in a year. Or not.

Okay, as far as a movie goes, we are getting a movie, read the gateworld articles and you'll see that they're making a movie, based on SG1's seasons 1-8, its gonna be a standalone movie, it may not even have the SG1 or SGA cast, but it has been said that as long as MGM continue supporting SG as their flagship show, there will be a third show, dont ask what its about, but their will be a third.
I am not afraid of there not being a movie but that BW and/or RCC won't be involved. I guess it's something like hoping there will be an eigth Harry Potter book but JKR won't be the one to write it. She had a vision with the book series, and if another person wants to further the HP series, then fine. But I won't accept additional HP books as canon. Same for SG/SGA.

Betelgeuze
May 13th, 2006, 07:03 AM
I hope it will last at least 7 seasons. I'm enjoying Atlantis more than SG-1 right now, and i hope they keep the two series seperate, i really don't like the idea of merging the two shows.

The Engineer
May 15th, 2006, 06:44 AM
No merging! Aren't the corssovers for you enough, people?

Falcon Horus
May 15th, 2006, 07:10 AM
No merging! Aren't the corssovers for you enough, people?

Actually, I don't want any cross-overs either, but I guess that's not gonna happen. Cause we will have moments that both galaxies will appear in one show, whether that be SG1 or SGA.

Klenotka
May 16th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I love SGA, I really do. But I donīt want to become from it something like from SG1. 10 seasons, no. For SGA, some 7 or 8 max.
And to the mixing. No and no. SGA was so much better in 1s because they were cut from Earth. And I donīt like the crossover ideas too much. I mean, Critical mass was great episode. But people from SG1 stayed in Earth and team in Atlantis had to deal with problems alone. And it should stay so. Mixing stories from SG1 to SGA isnīt too good idea.
But I am beginning to see hope in s3. Authors see their mistakes so letīs hope it will be better. Only the new enemy is so desperately unoriginal. If they better worked with the Wraith more...

soundman
May 16th, 2006, 09:06 AM

"Welcome to Stargate Command" was the name they were leaning toward... it was given a nod in ep one of s9 when walter welcomed mitchell by saying "welcome to Stargate Command"

ToasterOnFire
May 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I also don't think Atlantis will get to 10 seasons - I'm thinking anywhere between 5 and 7 seasons total. Just a gut feeling.

I care more about the quality of the show than the quantity. ;) If I get both, great, but if I can have only one I'll take a great, short series over a mediocre, dragged-out series any day.

D3K
May 16th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I'd like to see it reach at least Season Five - 100 episodes.

That would be a huge accomplishment for the shows producers then. Hopefully the story will get better and better, and it will end on a high note.

I'd alos like it to end when the producers feel they can end the whole Stargate story. Not when TPTB wanna not renew it.

Futura
May 17th, 2006, 01:42 AM
I think Stargate Atlantis should run for a long time as it is one of the Greatest spin-off sereis ever made. As long as the writer have ideas and know where they want to take the show, I think it will run for a few more seasons yet.

NOTE: I love Atlantis it's a fantastic show and i will continue watching it, until the day it ends (which i hope isnt any time soon)

Ancient 1
May 17th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Kill off the wraith once and for all. Then let them discover yet another universe in the Ancient database, and see if TPTB can come up with yet another enemy for another series. As for how many seasons that should take; I'll let that up to the writers.:o

Shep'sSocks
May 17th, 2006, 07:13 PM
The viable shelf life for any TV series, IMHO, is five years. I think SG-1 is way past its expiry date and has been for some time. The writing is lazy and often illogical. In response to a question, JM once said that you can learn writing out of a book. Well, yes, you can but it doesn't mean that it's good writing. One thing I can't bear is coming to the end of an episode and asking, 'Why didn't they just ...?' Atlantis, I think, has been better than that, particularly in its first season post The Eye/The Storm but in its second season there were too many silly narrative issues. I'd probably still watch Atlantis if it went past its use by date, just as I'm still watching SG-1, but I wouldn't be as fond of it if it didn't up it's narrative reach. Carl Binder is the only writer I've not had major issues with so far.

MB.Eddie
May 20th, 2006, 09:06 AM
SGA is an interesting series, but i dont know how far it can go with the wraith as the primary bad guys. Perhaps it would be better (say in the 4th season), to introduce a more threatening enemy, as then it would be a ffa with Atlantis, Genni, Wraith, newbies, and whoever else we have met by then. It would make for better stories, more challenges, and drama.

As for people saying SG-1 is way past its used by date i disagree. Imo s8 was the only let down, as nothing much happened. This could be that the writers and producers were too worried about getting atlantis on the air, and didnt commit to sg1. However, season 9 has breathed new life into the show. The Ori should keep the show going for several more seasons, and if its anything like the last 2/3 of s9, it should be fantastic :)

npattis
May 20th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Uhh, SGA isn't signed on for 6 seasons. It's being renewed season by season.

The Ori
May 20th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Hopefully forever and Sheppard is old and ugly by then and still Colonel, and can't stand up but is still the leader of SG-A

AtlantisForever
May 21st, 2006, 02:01 PM
tbh i can see where your going with this but you have to understand if you find all this tech within the first 5season's people would get bored and SGA would lose there rating i love the show to bit's but i like the story of it atm... it's like SG-1 all over SGA S1 last ep getting attacked by Wraith Season1 SG-1 last ep a Gould on there way to destroy the Tauri i just like it SGA has a good advantage over the Wraith where the Tauri didnt.. thats why i like it they dont rush in look for the tech n send all it back they look around yes but they try the meet with alot of people around the Galaxy i'm jst sayin if they move atlantis to earth it would be a big mistake

1. Go'uld
2 X NID
3 tell every1 of the stargate would lead into a mass panic tbh
4 every1 on earth would want to have controll over atlantis and stargate

Lord Zedd
May 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM
I hope Atlantis will go for at least 5 seasons !!!!!

Mattathias2.0
May 21st, 2006, 05:49 PM
I say atleast 5 seasons (having a 100th episode), but I could see a 7th or 8th season for it's complete run.

Mattathias

vaberella
May 21st, 2006, 06:00 PM
I say atleast 5 seasons (having a 100th episode), but I could see a 7th or 8th season for it's complete run.

Mattathias
Agreed! I see the same amount. But I wouldn't mind it signing out for good at it's 10th season and 200th ep. It would tie up all loose ends and make for a wicked finale!

VB

AtlantisForever
May 22nd, 2006, 12:20 AM
Agreed! I see the same amount. But I wouldn't mind it signing out for good at it's 10th season and 200th ep. It would tie up all loose ends and make for a wicked finale!

VB
yes i agree it would make a awsome finale but atm i aint to botherd with SG-1 due to Jack leaving he was what made SG-1 Ben is a good actor but his Char recon it's all for fun tbh carter recon's she can brake load's of rules but with jack he wouldnt allow it unless he was doing it also

Pharaoh Atem
May 23rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
as long as it can

RepliHawk
May 24th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I hope stargate never gets cancelled and if they do I dont know what Im going to do.I might go crazy or something.

AlterianX
May 25th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I hope stargate never gets cancelled and if they do I dont know what Im going to do.I might go crazy or something.

lol same i hope it stays till around season6 and if it stays longer ill love it evern move im just writing a story about season6 atm ill share what i have after ive finished it :)

Mcfergeson
May 25th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I hope both Stargates run for as long as they can. I'm not sure I really want a movie, though. The Stargates work better for me as TV shows.

Sean

the fifth man
May 27th, 2006, 07:20 PM
SGA, and SG-1 for that matter, should continue to run as long as TPTB can still come up with interesting stories to tell involving characters we can care about. At least, that's my opinion.

F302pilot777
May 31st, 2006, 08:49 AM
for ever

pyrodude
June 1st, 2006, 04:24 AM
Until humans can fly to other galaxys or stargates are made. Then all the fans would be busy exploring and not watching TV.

Reichiru
June 3rd, 2006, 08:37 PM
I'm personally more worried about how much longer SG-1 is gonna hold out than Atlantis. I think SGA has managed to stay strong even when a lot of people didn't think a spin-off was going to be able to cut it. I personally could see it going for a very long time so long as the writers don't screw up. ;)

Major Tyler
June 3rd, 2006, 08:42 PM
I'd like SGA to last as long as Ford is alive. If they ever kill him off for good I'd probably stop watching and wouldn't care anymore.

BlueSparks
June 4th, 2006, 03:25 AM
I'd like SGA to last as long as Ford is alive. If they ever kill him off for good I'd probably stop watching and wouldn't care anymore.
Same here. After Ford left, I lost interest in the show.

Morpheus88
June 4th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Personally Im new to both SGA, and SG-1. So far I love both shows and have bought every dvd season avalible.

SGA is cool cause it shows alot more about the ancients which is touched in SG-1 off and on I guess, but it shows alot more of them in there last days like finding there ships they actually used, and other weapons they left on planets in the pegaus galaxy. I truthfully love hearing more about the ancients and the things they left behind while the expedition team are find ways to destroy the wraith.

SG-1 is great right now, since I like watching them trying to fight the ori, I personally think it will get even better in the upcoming season. This is a enemy all the forces are going to have to work hard to defeat, not even the asgard can destroy them with there smarts and technology. Proves to be kinda interesting.

All in all I hope both have alot more years ahead of them since there both good shows, and I love both them and since I have got into them I will probably be watching them for a while to come.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
June 5th, 2006, 04:38 AM
I'll tell ya this, SGA will not go on as long as SG-1. I'm going to guess 7-8 seasons.

Hatcheter
June 5th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Uhh, SGA isn't signed on for 6 seasons. It's being renewed season by season.

Correct. The actors signed six year contracts, to keep them locked into the show if it lasts that long. Though as we saw with Ford, the contracts themselves are no sure thing.

Myself, I hope Atlantis goes six seasons, perhaps seven. That would put it lasting longer than most shows do.