This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Episode Do You Prefer In B&w?

One of the greatest directors who ever lived, Orson Welles, once said, "Black and white is an actor's best friend..."

What Orson ment was that in black and white, the human eye watches the shapes, but not the detail in the color. This means that the brain is able to focus on other things, like the performance, or the look of the picture versus the brightness of the color.

Personally, I hapen to agree with him.

Which got me thinking. When Pertwee Doctor Who was first aired here in Portland, they were shown feature length (the whole story) and if the episode was not available in color then they ran it in black and white. I saw The Silurians, Ambassidors of Death and The Daemons all in black and white. I have never seen an episode in color.

I know some people out there have seen a single episode of a story in color either by an official release or via a bootleg of the story. My question to you is; what story do you think looked better in black and white versus the color version that you have seen??
    My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
    Build a Dalek
    Build a TARDIS
    Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
    The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

I saw Planet of the Darleks in B&W and thought it was blury maybe just the decay of the eps, I perfer to watch it as the director intented. If he wanted it color then I want to see it in color ect
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I'd like to have the option of watching every episode in color and B&W.

I'd be curious to see how The Dominators looks in color.

I'd love to see Brain of Morbius in B&W.

Comment

I would love to see the Seeds of Death in color and Attack of the Cybermen in B+W

Great Sig by Bella

Comment

Watching an episode in B&W is easy, just adjust the color control on your TV...

I can't imagine watching half the Pertwee episdoes in anything other then B&W. Ya, I know they were originally in color, but they look less......cheap.....

The chromakey they relied on looked so bad, and the rubber suits for the monsters looked like I made them. In B&W, this kind of thing is less noticable.

Build a Dalek
          Build a TARDIS
          Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
          The Police Box Website

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseid
            Watching an episode in B&W is easy, just adjust the color control on your TV...

I can't imagine watching half the Pertwee episdoes in anything other then B&W. Ya, I know they were originally in color, but they look less......cheap.....

The chromakey they relied on looked so bad, and the rubber suits for the monsters looked like I made them. In B&W, this kind of thing is less noticable.
            And that weird incidental music would always play when a cheap costume or visual effect was on screen just so you didn't miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
              And that weird incidental music would always play when a cheap costume or visual effect was on screen just so you didn't miss it.
              I think that was for the blind viewers so they knew what was going on...

Build a Dalek
              Build a TARDIS
              The Police Box Website

Comment

yeah but most of the incidental music in the Pertwee era was taken from the Troughton era.
                Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Working...
                X