PDA

View Full Version : 218 "Journalist's Day" Review

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 4th, 2006, 02:07 PM
A review of the all-new episode "Journalist's Day" is now available at SG:U!
You can read it here. (http://sg-universe.net/features/2/1146780258/)

SierraGulf1
May 4th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Got this one up right away, didn't you?

As usual, a good read with interesting points, containing notes on the bad and good bits.

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Got this one up right away, didn't you?

As usual, a good read with interesting points, containing notes on the bad and good bits.

If you agree that those mentioned parts were bad, you should have said so before the episode was released. :cameron:

But actually I just wanted to say that there's one little detail that isn't correct. Not everyone on Horizon but Zach knew about that, only the senior staff members knew - that being the Horizon team, Lenori, Callen and Bay'lar. Everyone else hasn't got a clue. But in all fairness, that wasn't mentioned directly anywhere in the episode.

Anyway. Looking forward to the review of "Aversion". That one's "different" in a whole other way.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 4th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Well, I was going to mention that it was only the senior staff, but that would have slowed the pace of the review and made it seem like I was rambling. I tend to do that a lot in real life, so I try to avoid that on the internet.

Anyway, "Aversion" is an episode I'm really looking forward to. To be honest, I wasn't so crazy about "Journalist's Day" to begin with, but real character-developing episodes, like "The Adversary," "Amazing Grace," and "Aversion" - these are what I live for, man! :D

SierraGulf1
May 4th, 2006, 05:35 PM
If you agree that those mentioned parts were bad, you should have said so before the episode was released.

I didn't say anything about agreeing, I was just referring to the fact that he mentioned things he liked and disliked. Perhaps that would have been a better way of putting it.

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 05:42 PM
real character-developing episodes, like "The Adversary," "Amazing Grace," and "Aversion" - these are what I live for, man! :D

Me too. ;)

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I didn't say anything about agreeing, I was just referring to the fact that he mentioned things he liked and disliked. Perhaps that would have been a better way of putting it.

I know that's not how you meant it, it just kind of read that way at first. So I just couldn't resist the comment. :cameron:

I have to say again, it is nice to finally have some reviews somewhere. I noticed less people seem to be commenting on the episodes lately, and the polls don't get used very much either. So it's great that someone takes the time to even do reviews of them.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 4th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I know, it's crazy! I totally don't understand why people have stopped talking about Horizon as much as they did earlier in the season. I think the multi-month mid-season hiatus might have slightly reduced the number of commenters, but I can't figure out for the life of me how that could possibly account for the lack of traffic.

As long as the file downloads are still up, though, and the episodes are being read, that's a good thing, but still, comment, people!

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I know, it's crazy! I totally don't understand why people have stopped talking about Horizon as much as they did earlier in the season. I think the multi-month mid-season hiatus might have slightly reduced the number of commenters, but I can't figure out for the life of me how that could possibly account for the lack of traffic.

As long as the file downloads are still up, though, and the episodes are being read, that's a good thing, but still, comment, people!

Yeah, we know that the majority of readers just don't comment, or even post on this forum, for that matter.

There's nothing you can do, of course. But we've said before, comments are always appreceated. Especially if a lot of time and effort has been put into something, it's always nice to see some feedback.

But we just assume everyone who doesn't comment is loving every single episode. ;)

Elite Anubis Guard
May 4th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Your getting more comments than S1 when it was mainly me. lol

knowles2
May 5th, 2006, 11:29 AM
The first three acts was alright and quite comical and even the last acts were find. But the truth is that the entire epidsode plot was just to obvious and by the end i thought it was not really worth reading the last three to four acts because I knew exactly what was going to happen from act 2. I just thought it needed a plot twist at the end something that the audience would not exspecting.
Like perhaps zach being right all along with out the rest of the crew knowing and with out him self knowing. Perhaps the ambassador being a triple agent. What I mean by this that she could of been agent of the kih andari and then pretended to be a double agent for the vorian command while still actually being a loyal agent to the kih andari and I just think it would been more interesting.

I would have this was a very adverage epidsode, and possible my lease favourte amongst the horizon virtuall season.

All I hope is that you got a episode plan were zach and Bay'lar will be force to work with each other, could be a good story idea.

SierraGulf1
May 5th, 2006, 03:55 PM
A triple agent, that would certainly be interesting. Then again, maybe she is one and we just don't know it yet. :)

I can't really comment on the predictability of the episode, since I knew before it was written what the outcome was.

SierraGulf1
May 5th, 2006, 04:05 PM

I'm hoping that what we have in store in the final few episodes will be enough to get discussion rolling once again.

Wineblood
May 5th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I'm hoping that what we have in store in the final few episodes will be enough to get discussion rolling once again.

I agree, the end of the season looks fantastic. I can't wait for the reactions in a few weeks.

Alex Rubit
May 5th, 2006, 07:47 PM
But the truth is that the entire epidsode plot was just to obvious and by the end i thought it was not really worth reading the last three to four acts because I knew exactly what was going to happen from act 2.

You knew at the end of act two that she would turn out to be a Kih'Andari spy later in the episode (with the Kih'Andari not even having been mentioned anywhere in the episode at that point), and then later we'd find out that she's actually a Vorian agent pretending to be a Kih'Andari spy? Wow. That's quite impressive. ;)

Anyway. We'd ask that all episode comments by readers will be kept in the actual episode discussion thread, as usual. This thread should focus on discussing the review at SGU.

Just playing mod. :cameron:

Thanks.

Alex Rubit
May 5th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Truth is, I think very often people tend to do more commenting when there's something to mention they didn't like. If they like it, they won't say anything. Something I've noticed in the past. I guess it's just more fun to tell us what they didn't like, than to boost our egos. :cameron:

But often some shocking events here and there might encourage discussions as well. And the end of the season might come with a shocker or two. Whops. Did I type that out loud?

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 5th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Speculation: finally, some John/Sivea canonical ship, Kih'Andari take control of the power vacuum made by the missing Enoly fleet and make massive territorial and technological gains, and have a fleet arriving at Vorian.

Alex Rubit
May 5th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Speculation: finally, some John/Sivea canonical ship, Kih'Andari take control of the power vacuum made by the missing Enoly fleet and make massive territorial and technological gains, and have a fleet arriving at Vorian.

Hmm. Hard to not say anything other than, can't wait to see your reaction. :jonas:

Alex Rubit
May 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Your getting more comments than S1 when it was mainly me. lol

Very true. :D

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 5th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Yeah! Now its EAG and me! XD

Alex Rubit
May 5th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Yeah! Now its EAG and me! XD

That's something. ;)

By the way, I think it might be a good idea if we started a thread soon about speculations about the finale (or the finale arc, which is the last four episodes). Perhaps we'll even be dropping some vague pieces of information over the coming weeks, such as guest cast info, and little hints.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 5th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Sure, sounds good. Let's make that topic.

...any volunteers?

Alex Rubit
May 5th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Sure, sounds good. Let's make that topic.

...any volunteers?

I'm looking forward to seeing some speculations. Especially once some more info becomes available. For now I'll just say, the guest/recurring cast list is pretty huge. :cameron:

captainpash
May 7th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Ryu one thing. If you look at my Reviews. They were long yours not so much. Do it in word and try to get a page.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 7th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Ryu one thing. If you look at my Reviews. They were long yours not so much. Do it in word and try to get a page.

Well the difference was that you went very much in detail, while I tend to tailor to the broader aspects: the plot, pacing, development of story and characters.

captainpash
May 7th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Ah well, just try to go more...

SierraGulf1
May 7th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Doesn't matter too much, I do enjoy reading reviews from both Ryu and Pash. By the way, in case you haven't noticed that speculation topic we were talking about is up.

SG_Gundam
May 18th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Dam Alex!! That was a great episode. Zach was his own little P.I. and I liked that. I think you need to do more reoccuring character baised episodes more often around here. :tealc39: