X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shep and Kirking

Hey,

I'm really new to this forum, in fact I just joined. I just have quick question, and this is an honest question, I'm not meaning to be confrontational. But while reading a lot of the threads I have noticed fans saying that John "kirks" *all the time* I have only ever seen three eps where he actually had any sort of romantic interest at all.
    Spoiler:
    once in season 1 with Chaya, and twice in season 2, The Tower, and the time warp ep (sorry the title escapes me at the moment)

Spoiler:
    I know he flirted with the chick in Inferno, but I think that was more to irritate McKay then because he was actually interested. So I don't really count that ep.

Anyways, I'm just curious why people seem to think this happens *all the time.* Is it just because when it does happen it annoys people so it *feels* like it happens all the time? Because I've seen all the eps, and I just don't get that feeling. Then again I love Sheppard so maybe that's why. My favorite characters are McKay and Beckett but I really like Sheppard too.

Anyways, I'm going to stop babblig now.

I look forward to everyone's opinion's and thoughts. (please keep it civil though)

Welcome to the forum!

Touchy subject around here but...
    I kinda have to agree with you it has only happened three times. And those times it was left kinda vague as to whether he actually slept with them.

I think it irritates people, well me anyway, for the reason that this show is not campy. It is not Star Trek TOS. I like deep, actual relationships, not Girl/Guys of the Week.

Spoiler:
    Valenship banner by OXNatashaOX

Comment

I would have to agree with you both! I don't see Sheppard as acutally "kirking" (can I admit I've never really watched Star Trek so I'm just going along with the name? )
      However, I do see Sheppard as being a very flirtacious person, which gets kind of annoying! I think this is ok once in a while but when it's happening every episode or every other episode, it get's a little old and repetetive. From a "shipper" side of it, it doesn't allow for a possiblity of any "deep" relationships either, because to be honest, who would like their significant other flirting with other people all the time!?

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Touchy subject around here but...
        I kinda have to agree with you it has only happened three times. And those times it was left kinda vague as to whether he actually slept with them.

I think it irritates people, well me anyway, for the reason that this show is not campy. It is not Star Trek TOS. I like deep, actual relationships, not Girl/Guys of the Week.
        First: Thank you.

Second, I can see your point. I was just beginning to think I had missed something with the way the fans had begun to talk about it. I can agree with the whole "blond bim*o of the week" syndrom that a lot of shows can get. I personally don't really care for onscreen romances in any case, though I can tolorate them from time to time, I mean the characters are human they do have the occasional urge now and then. But it could get old very fast if it's done too often.

I can't stand it when a show tries to put to main characters together as well, I think it ruins the whole dynamic of the show. I will admit that I have a few characters that I see chemistry between. But for me it's fun looking for the subtext if it becomes cannon it's not fun anymore. (did that make sense?)

Comment

I would have to agree with you both! I don't see Sheppard as acutally "kirking" (can I admit I've never really watched Star Trek so I'm just going along with the name? )
          However, I do see Sheppard as being a very flirtacious person, which gets kind of annoying! I think this is ok once in a while but when it's happening every episode or every other episode, it get's a little old and repetetive. From a "shipper" side of it, it doesn't allow for a possiblity of any "deep" relationships either, because to be honest, who would like their significant other flirting with other people all the time!?
          Sheppard is a very flirtacious person. And I agree it can get old if done a lot.

However, in reality a flirtacious person usually doesn't even realize they are flirting. It normaly comes to them like breathing. I have friend that flirts with anything that walks in front of him, nine times out of ten he doesn't even notice that he's done it. I tease him about it *all* the time.

So if Sheppard is flirtacious by nature, it would probably appear very weird for him to *not* flirt, just simply because it's a part of his character. It would be like McKay not being abnoxious or arrogant. He wouldn't be McKay then. Or for Ronon to suddenly be Mr. Polite and socially proper, he wouldn't be Ronon anymore.

I feel like I'm not really making sense here, but hopefully you got my point.

From a shippers POV I can see your delima, I myself am not a shipper, well I am but not for the "traditional" pairings. But it could get annoying if you want two particular characters to have a relationship but they keep getting sidetracted by the "romantic interest of the week" That could get very annoying. Though as I said in a previous post, I'm not really keen with onscreen romance anyways, once the relationship is cannon it loses some of it's excitement and fun. (*sigh* once again I feel like I'm not making sense)

Anyways, I think I'm just talking for the sake of talking now so I'm going to quite.

Comment

Working...
          X