Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Daniel have led the atlantis expedition?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Daniel have led the atlantis expedition?

Ok this is a simple question, who in your view should have been given atlantis; daniel or weir?
    lets take a look at the candidates and their positions at the time of Rising/Lost city/New order:

Daniel:
    -expert on the ancients, speaks, knows about and has studied anceint historya and language for a decade, has even lived with them.
    -had just had his team leader put out of action, meaning his team severly out on a limb, job on the line.
    - had been part of the search for the lost city from the very begining.
    - had political support from our nation and the military
    - cultural expert and diplomat, liguist
    - experienced fighter and yet still non-military icon
    - hero and planet saver
    - has no ties to earth that cannot be severed

Weir:
    -new to everything, doesnt know hardly anything about the SGC, the ancients or gate travel
    -has a job, head of the SGC
    -had to be told by daniel jackson what the lost city was
    -still has political support by the nation of the IC, civilian, only got support through the president on the military front
    -a linguist and diplomat, with skills on par with DJ
    -no military experience atall, no previous history within the Sg program
    -no experience in tough or unusual situation atall
    - has personal connections on earth

Giving the resumes im astonished they picked Wier over Dr. Jackson to lead the atlantis expedition, i really am; compared to weir daniel is a much better candidate for any mission on any level, there is very little difference in thier area's of expertise, except daniel has been widened and given more life experience.
    If we could do it all again, do you think Daniel should have been given command of the atlantis expedition instead of Weir; im sure if jack had been in the deep freeze longer, the option of Daniel is command would have been put on the card, it was only because Jack said he had to stay that he wasnt chosen IMO, not just to go but to lead, in every field daniel suppercedes Weir.

What do you think? Daniel for atlantis command?
    Last edited by immhotep; 16 May 2006, 11:57 AM.
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Excellent idea, but then again Daniel dosnt seem to be the leader type, he is the type that advise a leader of things regarding his field of expertise, but I dont see him leading anything. Anyone at the SGC would have been better then Weir IMO, she sucks at leading atlantis (have disliked the actor from the start which does colour my view of the characters actions, but I still think sending someone with no clue about anything was a bad choice).

The 2 reasons Weir was chosen (storywise).
    1: The international commity wanted a civilian.
    2: Other then Daniel she (afaik) is the only civilian with the required skills, security clearence and (very limited) experience. She was more then likely chosen for her performance during the Lost city.

Comment

Your right Daniel can speak 28 languages to what we know and Wier cn only speak 5. boo
      I HATE SY-FY

Comment

True that we know how many languages Daniel can speak, but Weir hasn't really been given an opportunity to speak any languages while on Atlantis. I personally don't think Daniel would have made a good leader. I mean I love his character, I just don't think he is the leader type. Weir on the other hand, even though new at the whole leadership thing (from what we saw) seems to be doing a very good job taking control and dealing with the various situations that come their way.

Comment

Daniel, has the ancient background, he understands it, if he leads The expedition team his going to be like “ I know it all” so that’s just going to make the show boring as his going to explain every single solution.

Doctor Weir, She has a basic understanding, which makes it very interesting on steps taken in difficult situations which causes conflict which means more action.

Comment

Oh please, daniel isnt like that, and can we really claim that as an argument with Mkcay on the front bench! i think it would have been better if daniel and Mkcay had thier own solution, mkcay wouldnt be genius all the time then...
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            11000! green me

Comment

At the time they had an enemy who wrote every thing in anchient, and was half asended, the only person who could help them was Daniel, so he was needed in the Milky Way at the time
              Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

no they didnt, anubis had just got ass kicked at 'that time' so daniel was a free agent in every respect.
                sigpic
                11000! green me

Comment

if sg-1 had finished at the end of S7 then i think Daniel would have lead the Atlantis Expidition

Comment

No. Daniel has too many talents to count but he couldn't lead a horse to water.
                    sigpic
                    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Really, i think Daniel would be a great leader, id pick him over wier to lead me any day of the year.
                      sigpic
                      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                        Really, i think Daniel would be a great leader, id pick him over wier to lead me any day of the year.
                        I'd pick Daniel for any number of things but leading the Atlantis team isn't one of them. He'd want to 'understand', 'respect' and 'communicate' with the Wraith instead of blasting their pale skinny butts into the middle of next week.
                        sigpic
                        "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

did you see him fighting anubis, he got pretty violent in those stages im sure hes got a dark steak somewhere, take ulitmate power as a reference!
                          sigpic
                          11000! green me

Comment

Having Daniel on Atlantis would have been a great help, but he isn't fit for leading.

But Daniel would have given a bigger understanding of the Wraith, as he would have been able to decipher the Wraith writings and the random Ancient writings instantly.

Situations like 'Trinity' would have been prevented.
                            Scoping through the night...looking for Athosians

Comment

Okay, first of all, I see this thread end into a contest between Daniel and Elizabeth. You know the kind where people will be fighting over who's better and more popular.

Secondly, I think Dr. Weir is doing just fine and Daniel is having fun in the Milky Way. And I don't see him as a leader at all, more as an advisor to a leader.

Btw...

Originally posted by immhotep
                              Weir:
                              -no experience in tough or unusual situation atall
                              -has personal connections on earth
                              She does have experience in tough situations (maybe not unusual ones) but being a diplomat having to get two countries who don't like each other one bit to talk to each other can be very difficult and very though with many ups and downs.
                              And about those personal connections -> she seemed pretty eager to leave the Galaxy, leaving Simon only that one message.

And thirdly, (and this is a completely selfish reason and probably completely besides the point) I'd rather not see too many SG1-characters in Atlantis. They should play in their own galaxy which has still many places that need exploring. I want Atlantis to be as independent as possible and work on their own character developments and stories.

That said, I now step off my soapbox... Thank you all and goodbye!!
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                              X