PDA

View Full Version : Journalist's Day (218)

Alex Rubit
May 2nd, 2006, 10:39 PM
Stargate: Horizon - Season Two
"Journalist's Day"

"Journalist's Day"
Ep: 2.18
Release Date: May 4th 2006
Written by Alex Rubit

Through a special television broadcast, Zach Hoffmann tells viewers of a day on which he discovered a situation that had placed Horizon in grave danger.

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 06:05 AM
With the episode being released later today, the thread is now open for discussion.

Astroliar
May 4th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Has anyone else been able to view this episode? I get prompted that the PDF is damaged and unable to be repaired....

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 4th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I was able to read it just fine. In fact, I just posted a review about it on SG:U. I posted a topic on that, though, so, no need to mention it here.

Anyway, it was something of a 'meh' episode for me, because I didn't get much out of Zach from it. It didn't change him as a person much, so, I couldn't really give it a very high rating. It was certainly fun in the first few acts, but, it had a lack-luster ending. I gave it a **1/2.

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Has anyone else been able to view this episode? I get prompted that the PDF is damaged and unable to be repaired....

It's working just fine now. Maybe there was a problem earlier, I'm not sure about that.

Anyway, let me know if you're still having trouble downloading the episode.

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I was able to read it just fine. In fact, I just posted a review about it on SG:U. I posted a topic on that, though, so, no need to mention it here.

Anyway, it was something of a 'meh' episode for me, because I didn't get much out of Zach from it. It didn't change him as a person much, so, I couldn't really give it a very high rating. It was certainly fun in the first few acts, but, it had a lack-luster ending. I gave it a **1/2.

The intent was never to change Zach as a person, so I'm not quite following there. I guess you just don't like episodes with too much humor in them.

I have to admit though, I've come to expect you to not like the episodes. So I'm not at all surprised. I'm much rather surprised if you do end up liking one every once and a while.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 4th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Eh? That really comes as quite a shock - I loved the first half of the season, and with the second half of the season, so far I've loved every other episode (literally, starting with "Path of Revelation, Part II").

And no, it has nothing to do with the humor - the humor in this episode was absolutely spot-on, and I found myself giggling quite a bit through most of it. It was just that I didn't really like the resolution.

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Eh? That really comes as quite a shock - I loved the first half of the season, and with the second half of the season, so far I've loved every other episode (literally, starting with "Path of Revelation, Part II").

Don't be shocked. I'm just kidding. Just forgot to use smileys. And I know that can be confusing. ;)

After all you're always the first to comment on the episodes, so you must be liking the show.

And no, it has nothing to do with the humor - the humor in this episode was absolutely spot-on, and I found myself giggling quite a bit through most of it. It was just that I didn't really like the resolution.

I will admit that in the end the episode didn't turn out to be as much a character episode as I had initially wanted it to be. Part of the reason is that the original story idea for it didn't work, and we litterly started from scratch. So it's really more of a comedy episode than it is a character episode.

However, let's just say this isn't the last Zach-episode of the series. Before all is said and done, he'll have gotten his share of character development.

And you mentioned "ship" before. I didn't think it would come as a surprise. And I will say toward the end of the season we might even have a bigger surprise coming up. Or dare I say even a bit of a shock. Depends in which direction you're leaning.

That said, may the speculations begin. In another thread, of course. :cameron:

SierraGulf1
May 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I do, in fact, like Ryu's impartiality when it comes to reviewing. He is always the first to make a comment as well. As many say, he is a tough one to please, but he is honest and mentions exactly what he liked and disliked. While I myself may feel differently than he does in certain criticisms, I do like to hear them.

I do think that the resolution was an interesting twist with the double agent bit, and it even opened future storylines involving Tomari. Shame you didn't like it too much, but I suppose we can't win them all. :)

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 4th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Don't be shocked. I'm just kidding. Just forgot to use smileys. And I know that can be confusing. ;)

After all you're always the first to comment on the episodes, so you must be liking the show.

Yupyupyup! Horizon is excellent.

I will admit that in the end the episode didn't turn out to be as much a character episode as I had initially wanted it to be. Part of the reason is that the original story idea for it didn't work, and we litterly started from scratch. So it's really more of a comedy episode than it is a character episode.

However, let's just say this isn't the last Zach-episode of the series. Before all is said and done, he'll have gotten his share of character development.

That's good to hear. I look forward to a Zach-developing episode in the future.

And you mentioned "ship" before. I didn't think it would come as a surprise. And I will say toward the end of the season we might even have a bigger surprise coming up. Or dare I say even a bit of a shock. Depends in which direction you're leaning.

That said, may the speculations begin. In another thread, of course. :cameron:

Very, very little could possibly shock me in the direction of ship. Ah, but yes, let the speculations run rampant.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 4th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I do, in fact, like Ryu's impartiality when it comes to reviewing. He is always the first to make a comment as well. As many say, he is a tough one to please, but he is honest and mentions exactly what he liked and disliked. While I myself may feel differently than he does in certain criticisms, I do like to hear them.

I do think that the resolution was an interesting twist with the double agent bit, and it even opened future storylines involving Tomari. Shame you didn't like it too much, but I suppose we can't win them all. :)

Well, it's not that I didn't like the story of Tomari, I just think that it wasn't introduced as well as it could have (important story-builders like that don't really fit in comedy-based episodes, in my opinion).

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Well, it's not that I didn't like the story of Tomari, I just think that it wasn't introduced as well as it could have (important story-builders like that don't really fit in comedy-based episodes, in my opinion).

Oh, I wouldn't agree with that. In fact, I personally love blending humor and drama together like that. Or I should say developing part of a more serious storyline (like the Kih'Andari) in a more comedic episode.

The reason is simply that I (as a fan/viewer/reader as well as a writer) like to have such contrasts between humor and drama. Not too many shows do that actually, and it can be tough to pull off. Sci-fi of course allows you to do all kinds of genres.

I just think that a show that's just serious or that's just funny isn't always that realistic. Realistic isn't the right word. It's hard to find the right word for that actually. Shows like that can work of course. But I don't think they'll be as true to real life as they'd be otherwise.

The reason is I believe that life itself is never just serious, and never just funny. How often do you find something funny happening somewhere, and just close by something not so funny is happening. Or even in people's own lifes there'll be both funny things as well as not so funny things going on every once and a while. It's complex, and strange sometimes. And as a writer (not just on Horizon) I try to reflect that complexity as much as I can. And I think we all as a staff on Horizon are pretty happy and pretty proud how this series is able to pull off very serious dramatic episodes, and just a week later a comedy episode. That kind of versitality makes a show much more unpredictable. You'll tune in every week, and you'll never quite know what to expect. Pretty much like how things can work in real life. And "Aversion" is a great example. That's a pretty dark character drama, and also deals with a rather serious moral dilemma. So that will be the exact opposite to this week's episode.

Anyway. I know I'm rambling myself now. But some of you know I tend to do that every now and then. I'm not really getting off topic either, I think. :cameron:

Of course there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with all that. But I personally think that mixing two completely different elements of a show together like that works very well. It is something that you wouldn't normally expect, which is probably what I like about it too.

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Very, very little could possibly shock me in the direction of ship. Ah, but yes, let the speculations run rampant.

I will give a little hint in order to make future speculations easier. And I usually don't give away this much, so this is a special occasion.

This "ship" (if that's we're calling it) involves two characters. And - one of them is male, the other is female.

That should really narrow it down.

;)

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
May 4th, 2006, 07:05 PM
i cant read it.

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 07:08 PM
i cant read it.

That's strange. It's still working for me.

What exactly isn't working right when you try to download it?

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 4th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I will give a little hint in order to make future speculations easier. And I usually don't give away this much, so this is a special occasion.

This "ship" (if that's we're calling it) involves two characters. And - one of them is male, the other is female.

That should really narrow it down.

;)
Nooo!!!!! I've been rooting for Grant/Lenori or David/Tom this whole time... :(
Heh. XD

(For the record, the above was my pitiful attempt at sarcasm. ;))

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Nooo!!!!! I've been rooting for Grant/Lenori or David/Tom this whole time... :(
Heh. XD

But... David is a married man.

(For the record, the above was my pitiful attempt at sarcasm. ;))

I knew that. :D

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
May 4th, 2006, 07:15 PM
i geta red x in the left corner of my IE and i have downloaded Adobe acrobat

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 4th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I think, Alex, that you need to start putting out episodes in HTML format.

(As well as in PDF, format, of course.)

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM
i geta red x in the left corner of my IE and i have downloaded Adobe acrobat

Hmm. Perhaps you should try re-downloading Adobe. Maybe there's something wrong with the one you're using now.

Because I can't see anything wrong with the actual PDF files.

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I think, Alex, that you need to start putting out episodes in HTML format.

(As well as in PDF, format, of course.)

I agree. That's another improvement the new Season Three site design might even include.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
May 4th, 2006, 07:46 PM
That's good. Say, unless you've already got all the help you need, could I possibly assist with making the site? I've got a relatively thorough knowledge of HTML.

Alex Rubit
May 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM
That's good. Say, unless you've already got all the help you need, could I possibly assist with making the site? I've got a relatively thorough knowledge of HTML.

We haven't gotten to actually working on the site redesign yet. But perhaps we'll be needing some more people for that. I can't say for sure yet, though.

I'll keep this in mind, and make sure to let you know once the time comes.

Haktaur
May 5th, 2006, 03:12 PM
When I click on the episode link it takes me to a blank page.
I have abode too.

SierraGulf1
May 5th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Strange, I'm not having problems either. Considering half the people seem to have no problem, and the other half do, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Strange indeed.

Alex Rubit
May 5th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah, this is strange. It's still working normally for me. Perhaps if you try it again now, it will work. I sure hope it will.

On a little side note, as we're still expecting some more comments on the episode... I wonder if anyone will notice a hidden SG-1 reference (or quote from an episode, much rather) in this episode. It's there, you just have to look closely. ;)

Elite Anubis Guard
May 6th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Well unfortunetly I didn't like this one. I had been looking forward to it as I had liked Zach, but not so much now. I didn't find it funny, I found him to be rather annoying. The episode, while having its twists here and there was a bit predictable, I was able to guess each twist before they came.

Having read the episode, I wish it hadn't have been a Zach centric episode as he now grates on me, just after this one episode. It didn't grab me in, it didn't keep me wanting to read more. It's was ok, nothing special and not one I see myself re-reading anytime soon.

Col.Foley
May 8th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I agree over all a very good episode. My reasoning skills were a bit off on this one though. So like I said good episode but I do not like Zach, in fact I hate Zach, he is annoying, he gets into the way and he is oh so full of himself. I also cannot see any possible reason why they would assign him to Horizon. Now I do understand that now that the Stargate is public that the media would want to know what is going on in a front line station like Horizon but why did it have to be Zach. I mean the media people making the recamendations proabably said "yeah Zach is the greatest reporter ever he finds things out andmay even be an asset." But the Airforce would not let such an ego tistical crittical man aboard for this mission, after looking at his file. Any way I just don't like Zach in this case especially in this episode how he just kept jumping to conclusions.

Now for another little thought. Whydon't you assign virtual stars for some of ther reaoccuring characters like Yusuf, Zach and if we ever see him again Sivok. Any way just food for thought.

SierraGulf1
May 8th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Actually, we have actors for several regular and recurring characters on our show. I've been trying to get to posting them all here on the forum, and perhaps I can get them up tonight.

The three you mentioned, however, are:

Philip Rhys as Yusuf Naiyeer
Armin Shimerman as Zach Hoffmann
Scott MacDonald as Sivok

Col.Foley
May 8th, 2006, 04:07 PM
O.K. thank you.
Just one more question.
Do you have any body cast for Loral? Or if I have the wrong character the Enoly female with the Tokra symbiote in her body.

SierraGulf1
May 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM
You do have the right character, but unfortunately we've been unable to decide just who would be right for her. Feel free to submit ideas in the cast topic which is now up in the main Horizon section.

Col.Foley
May 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM
O.K.
Another question I just went around to both the Horizon main website and looked aroundon this forum and I didn't find anything that looked like what you are talking about. Ifyou could point me in the right direction? I do have a few ideas.

Col.Foley
May 8th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Never Mind I found t and all the reaccuring characters look really great, most of the ones I know of fit their roles very well.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
May 11th, 2006, 09:23 AM
This episode was Okay but you guys could've made a part on the planet a little bit bigger and it felt like SG-1's Heroes all over again.

travis
June 15th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Well I have to admit that the title for this ep did kind of put me off in a sense that I thought it might be like SG-1, but after reading it I do take it back.

I found this ep to be very fun and entertaining to read. After reading this ep, Zach's character has grown a bit on me, as before I really really hate this character. Even though I'm not really fond of this character I personally think he's good for the cast dynamic and also bring's in a little tension and realisim to the show.:)

Hutchisg
September 8th, 2006, 03:33 AM
It's working just fine now. Maybe there was a problem earlier, I'm not sure about that.

Anyway, let me know if you're still having trouble downloading the episode.

Hi!
I discovered Horizon a few months ago and have been an avid reader ever since. However I have been unable to read 'Journalist's Day' due to a PDF fault - any ideas?

Alex Rubit
September 8th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Hi!
I discovered Horizon a few months ago and have been an avid reader ever since. However I have been unable to read 'Journalist's Day' due to a PDF fault - any ideas?

I'm not sure what could be causing the problem with this one. But we can work around that. Just PM me with your email address. Then I'll re-PDF the episode, and email it to you.

Jelda
April 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Wow, hey Alex, what say.. Wonderful episode!;)

jelgate
December 14th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Jelgate's Two CentsThis was a painful episode to watch. To be fair I never liked Zach Hoffman. I always found him to be very annoying which contributed to me disliking this episode.If I overlook Hoffman this is actually a very entertaining episode. Seeing a friend of Callen trying to infiltrate?* Ka'Aldhrai was one of the only high points of this episode. Sorry this is a short review because I can't of anything positive to say. Hopefully the next episode will be better.
I think, Alex, that you need to start putting out episodes in HTML format.(As well as in PDF, format, of course.)I also know HTML if you need someone to convert PDF to HTML