PDA

View Full Version : what happens to the doctor after his thirteenth rejeneration

thegatebuilders
April 30th, 2006, 11:41 AM
i know the time lords can rejenerate a maximum of thirteen times, so what happens after that, does he simply die.

The Signal
April 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM
12 times, he can regenerate 12 times. And yes, he just dies, though if the show is still going strong at the point where the 13th Doctor wants to leave (the actor obviously) TPTB will get around it.

Hulabaloo
April 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Oh god i hope not.

Metarock Sam
April 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Well hopefully theyll get around it doing something really cool or something.

The Signal
April 30th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Had it not been for School Reunion I would say that they would say that he wasnt actually the Doctor from the old series, meaning DT would be the 2nd Doctor. With that option well and truly out of the window, Im going to go with him having a new regeneration cycle granted to him in the Time War.

Darkseid
April 30th, 2006, 01:03 PM
The Doctor will die.

The show that will replace it will be Mickey and Jackie Tyler in; 'THE ODD COUPLE 3000"

Metarock Sam
April 30th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Or the Show will turn into Rose as she discovers that she is a timelord.

Darkseid
April 30th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Or the Show will turn into Rose as she discovers that she is a timelord.

After watching this past weeks episode, I can believe that she and Sarah Jane Smith could have some adventures together once Rose gets back to Earth for good. That would be kinda interesting...

creed462
April 30th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I think that somehow he will get another Regeneration cycle

Metarock Sam
April 30th, 2006, 02:04 PM
After watching this past weeks episode, I can believe that she and Sarah Jane Smith could have some adventures together once Rose gets back to Earth for good. That would be kinda interesting...
Perhaps Something could happen to Jackie and in the end Sarah Jane takers her in under her wing.

Wraith Scientist
April 30th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Had it not been for School Reunion I would say that they would say that he wasnt actually the Doctor from the old series, meaning DT would be the 2nd Doctor.

I would have liked that option :)

However, there are some discrepancies between these series and the previous, and these series feel like 'Doctor Who Redone' rather than 'Doctor Who Continued', so maybe this series takes place in an entirely different universe/timeline/continuity than the last series, and the new simply 'borrows' aspects from the old. Maybe this Doctor did have a companion called SJS, but it wasn't the SJS of the previous series? This is also implied by SJS talking about her 'romantic' relationship with the Doctor. And it was implied that the Doctor left her to fight in the time war ('everybody died'), rather than what happened in the actual series. After seeing his race perish he might have been suitably grief-ridden to leave her lest he get attached and watch her die too.

This theory is also supported by the minor changes that have been made in the new series.

With his comment about time lords never aging and having to watch their friends grow old and die, he gave the impression that the time lords are immortal. Maybe the time lords of this series don't have the regeneration limit of the last series?

The previous series don't mention the time war either, but that probably came after.

I prefer to think that the Doctor now is a new Doctor, but share characteristics of the 'old Doctor'. 'Doctor Who Redone' rather than 'Doctor Who Continued' :)

That way, we can considerably simplify the timeline and remove several massive plot holes in one go ;)

The Signal
April 30th, 2006, 02:28 PM
With his comment about time lords never aging and having to watch their friends grow old and die, he gave the impression that the time lords are immortal. Maybe the time lords of this series don't have the regeneration limit of the last series?

Well really, barring accidents they are, a Time Lord can live for almost eternity, only the 1st Doctor seemed to die of old age, but it could have been for other reasons that we just didnt realise, it wasnt really addressed by the show.

Metarock Sam
April 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM
It wasnt old age, more exhaustion that caused the first Doctor to regenerate.

Wraith Scientist
April 30th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Well really, barring accidents they are, a Time Lord can live for almost eternity, only the 1st Doctor seemed to die of old age, but it could have been for other reasons that we just didnt realise, it wasnt really addressed by the show.

From Dalek

DOCTOR: They're never gonna come! Your race is dead! You all burnt, all of you. Ten million ships on fire - the entire Dalek race wiped out in one second.

DALEK: You lie!

DOCTOR: I watched it happen. I made it happen.

DALEK: You destroyed us?

DOCTOR: I had no choice.

DALEK: And what of the Time Lords?

DOCTOR: Dead. They burnt with you. The end of the last great Time War. Everyone lost.

They seem to be quite mortal here - vunerable to fire ... hmm ...

Maybe they can only regenerate so much - if you destroy the body completely then they can't regererate, but otherwise they have a potentially infinite set of regenerations and don't age.

I stand by my theory that these aren't the time lords of the previous series ;)
It makes more sense to me that way :p

Metarock Sam
April 30th, 2006, 02:47 PM
i time Lords can be killed through the use of disintegrater laser weapons for example the weapons carried by the Gallifreyan royal guard (The Castellan in the Five Doctors was killed this way) and an Daleks beam cannon. Alot of evidence supporst this.

creed462
April 30th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I would have liked that option :)

However, there are some discrepancies between these series and the previous, and these series feel like 'Doctor Who Redone' rather than 'Doctor Who Continued', so maybe this series takes place in an entirely different universe/timeline/continuity than the last series, and the new simply 'borrows' aspects from the old. Maybe this Doctor did have a companion called SJS, but it wasn't the SJS of the previous series? This is also implied by SJS talking about her 'romantic' relationship with the Doctor. And it was implied that the Doctor left her to fight in the time war ('everybody died'), rather than what happened in the actual series. After seeing his race perish he might have been suitably grief-ridden to leave her lest he get attached and watch her die too.

This theory is also supported by the minor changes that have been made in the new series.

The previous series don't mention the time war either, but that probably came after.

I prefer to think that the Doctor now is a new Doctor, but share characteristics of the 'old Doctor'. 'Doctor Who Redone' rather than 'Doctor Who Continued' :)

That way, we can considerably simplify the timeline and remove several massive plot holes in one go ;)

She could have thought that because the Time Lords called him away, and she may not remember the five doctors, The time lords can put someone back before the point they left and they won't remember their adventure.

Metarock Sam
May 2nd, 2006, 11:04 AM
She could have thought that because the Time Lords called him away, and she may not remember the five doctors, The time lords can put someone back before the point they left and they won't remember their adventure.
Like they did with Jamie and Zoe in The War Games.

creed462
May 2nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
Like they did with Jamie and Zoe in The War Games.
Yes, I'm thinking Rasalon might have done that, And I read something on Outpost Gallifrey that the guy heading up the new prodution(Name escape me) said that

Metarock Sam
May 3rd, 2006, 03:12 PM
Ah well that explains alot of things. Like the whole I waited for you buisness.

creed462
May 3rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
Ah well that explains alot of things. Like the whole I waited for you buisness.
I think that would.

P-90_177
May 4th, 2006, 02:11 AM
They'll figure out a way to keep him regenerating. I reckon the heart of the TARDIS may have something to do with it.

creed462
May 4th, 2006, 06:21 AM
That Tardis is so big, it just might

Metarock Sam
May 4th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Perhpas he will be transfused with the essence of the timelords giving him almost infinite regenerations.

Flyboy
May 4th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Meh, they'll probabley have a quest to find the Time lord tech required to give regenerations, or he will find a way to revisit gallifrey, maybe an AU one.

Metarock Sam
May 4th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Or the TARDIS could sacrifice herself for him.

creed462
May 4th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Or the TARDIS could sacrifice herself for him.
It's helped him before

P-90_177
May 8th, 2006, 03:26 AM
They'll figure out a way to keep him regenerating. I reckon the heart of the TARDIS may have something to do with it.
Wait there we go. I just remebered. When that Slitheen looked into the time vortex in 'Boom Town' she reverted to an egg. What if when The doctor had that power go through him in the 'Parting of Ways' he was also reverted somehow and he doesn't realise it yet. It could be something to explore in a later series. It's like the Doctor's there dieing and trying to explain to Rose (or another companion) that he can't regenerate and then suddenly he does. They could actually make the moment quite funny. It's a fairly reasnable way of doing it and becase of the amount of power of the time vortex, who knows how many more regenerations he'll get. (Maybe he could een be immortal)

Flyboy
May 8th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Having the energy of the vortex inside you does not make one younger or immortal. It fries your brain. The slitheen only reverted because the TARDIS chose to act chose to show its heart to the Slitheen and to save itself, granted the Slitheen its most inner desire. The doctor did NOT see the heart of the TARDIS.

The Signal
May 8th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Im with ^, the vortex doesnt do that.

If some sort of Regeneration trade is a possibility, and baring in mind the Master was offered a new cycle, it may well be. They could deal with it by having the master giving the Doctor his remaining regenerations, as much as he hates him, I think he would do it, he too, if still alive must feel the burden of being alone in the universe, no rivalry, just one man who he considers a worthy opponent
"A cosmos without the Doctor scarcely bears thinking about."

Hey, its always a possibility. And I've always wanted to see the master have that one redeeming moment, and it would be the best way to wrap up his story IMO.

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
May 8th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Roger Delgado, Peter Pratt, & Geoffrey Beevers all represented the Master's last regeneration.
Pratt & Beevers were his animated corpse...where he was clinging onto life...refusing to completely die.

Anthony Ainley & Eric Roberts were not regenerations. Their bodies were taken over by the Master.

Flyboy
May 8th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Roger Delgado, Peter Pratt, & Geoffrey Beevers all represented the Master's last regeneration.
Pratt & Beevers were his animated corpse...where he was clinging onto life...refusing to completely die.

Anthony Ainley & Eric Roberts were not regenerations. Their bodies were taken over by the Master.
TRANSLATION:

The master has used up all of his regenerations and is currently trapped in the belly of the TARDIS inhabiting the body of an American paramedic like a Goa'uld.

creed462
May 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM
I think if the Doctor gets more regenerations, then the Tardis will have something to do with it.

Flyboy
May 8th, 2006, 10:28 AM
How, exactly?

creed462
May 8th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Well if it regenerated Dr Hope(?) and Lee in the movie, it rejuvinated that creature, In A fifth doctor eps it keep him from using his generation for those creatures that had stole Time Lord tech.

The Signal
May 8th, 2006, 10:57 AM
TRANSLATION:

The master has used up all of his regenerations and is currently trapped in the belly of the TARDIS inhabiting the body of an American paramedic like a Goa'uld.
Never forget the Time War, if he Time Lords wanted to they could bring him back with a regeneration cycle and force him to fight, and there is a huge gap between the telemovie and S27, im just saying, anything is possible

May 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Well if it regenerated Dr Hope(?) and Lee in the movie, it rejuvinated that creatureIt was Dr. Holloway.

In A fifth doctor eps it keep him from using his generation for those creatures that had stole Time Lord tech.Do you mean Mawdryn Undead?

That was an energy release from the Blinovich Limitation effect caused by the two Lethbridge-Stewarts touching.

May 8th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Never forget the Time War, if he Time Lords wanted to they could bring him back with a regeneration cycle and force him to fight, and there is a huge gap between the telemovie and S27, im just saying, anything is possibleIt would be kind of lame to have something so pivotal happen off-screen.

Even a flashback would be a lame way to explain this.

It would be better to show it as some part of current events, as part of the show moving forward.

Metarock Sam
May 8th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I think the time war should only be mentioned breifly from time to time before at some point they make a telemovie starring Paul McGann and Christopher Ecclestone showing the events of the timewar.

creed462
May 8th, 2006, 02:21 PM
It was Dr. Holloway.

Do you mean Mawdryn Undead?

That was an energy release from the Blinovich Limitation effect caused by the two Lethbridge-Stewarts touching.
Yes, but the Doctor stated that the Taridis must have done something with the effect

May 8th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Yes, but the Doctor stated that the Taridis must have done something with the effectYes, the energy emanated from the TARDIS due to the B.L.E., and that energy release had been timed perfectly to a millisecond to coincide with the transfer from the Doctor through the regenerator device to Mawdryn & his followers.

My point is that such a set of circumstances is highly unlikely.

In fact, I would speculate that the White Guardian was manipulating events in that instance to protect the Doctor.

Otherwise, all I can say is that was too convenient and a very lame resolution to the story...certainly not worthy of repetition by any means.

creed462
May 8th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Then maybe by the same token it could of increased his regenerations

BC - 303
May 8th, 2006, 06:57 PM
i think there has to be a cooldown time for regeneration, if you shot him with a dalek beam gun, he dies, however if you did something he could recover from...
imagine regenrataion is like letting the body heal itself, if the body is dead, it cannot heal itself and therefore cannot regernate.

May 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Then maybe by the same token it could of increased his regenerationsIt was wired to use him as the power source and he was bypassed. That's how it was explained.

I can't really argue beyond that point, because further interpretation would rely on too much speculation.

Metarock Sam
May 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Perhpas he could be granted more regenerations by the White Guardian.

creed462
May 9th, 2006, 10:47 AM
He did do a job for the White Guardian

Metarock Sam
May 9th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Or was it the Black Guardian in Disguise ???