This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the forum too fragmented causing stultified conversation

I think there is too much division of the forum which causes people to be too scattered and thus causes conversations to be too sporadic. What about you? Don't you think a more unified forum would lead to more continuous conversations like a chat room style and less wasted time searching the forum for a good conversation?

If by "unified" you mean NO NEGATIVITY ALLOWED, EVER!! then no, I'd have to say I hate that idea.

If by "unified" you mean doing away with the pro and anti threads so that folks are forced together into one thread where they will flame each other, hurl insults, insist that THEIRS is the only RIGHT viewpoint and generally ignore whatever the real subject is supposed to be, then I hate that idea, too.

If by "unified" you mean I DECIDE WHO LIVES AND WHO DIES with negativity allowed only on subjects that you (generally speaking) dislike, then I still hate the idea.

And if by "unified" you mean banning subject-specific threads so that EVERYTHING is an amalgam of everything else, then words fail to describe how much I loathe and despise the idea.

As for the "chat room" aspect, dear gods above, NO!! This is a FORUM, not a chat room! OT can get chatty because it's OT but I amsolutely under no circumstances EVER want to see the subject-related areas of the forum devolve into a psychotic mass of mindless chatter, one-word replies, and general stupidity.

I'm sorry, and I hope this doesn't come across as too militant, but I happen to like the format of the forum the way it is now... and the way it is now is already rife with nastiness and petty attitudes. Forcing everyone to be more "unified" would only make things much much worse, in my opinion.

And again, I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the idea of this place EVER even REMOTELY RESEMBLING a chat room.

HATE!!!

Comment

No. Forcing everyone together will just lead to more divisions/arguments etc, and more people leaving in disgust.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
        No. Forcing everyone together will just lead to more divisions/arguments etc, and more people leaving in disgust.
        we don't fight on the fourms what are you talking about

i'm with shadowMaat i like the current format

once you get used to this place finding things is very easy
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
          we don't fight on the fourms what are you talking about
          Fighting? Did I say fighting? I don't see where I said fighting.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
            Fighting? Did I say fighting? I don't see where I said fighting.
            well you said argument

which evertually leads to hair pulling and fighting.

i'm all medicated up so excuse me if i misundertand

Comment

Fighting? Nah. There'd just be an increase in hostility, flaming, condescension, dismissal of opinions, rudeness, flaming, hatred, trolling, spite, baiting, flaming, intolerance, elitism, flaming and a whole heckuva lot more moderation.

But fighting? Pffft.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                Fighting? Nah. There'd just be an increase in hostility, flaming, condescension, dismissal of opinions, rudeness, flaming, hatred, trolling, spite, baiting, flaming, intolerance, elitism, flaming and a whole heckuva lot more moderation.

But fighting? Pffft.
                ya you would know tames been hanging out in your sulk thread alot lately

Comment

ya you would know tames been hanging out in your sulk thread alot lately
                  Tame's been hanging out in the Sulky Thread since long before she became a mod. But now she may have more things to sulk about.

Comment

o newbies learns something new every post

Comment

The Forums aren't that fragmented, apart from The Pro's vs The Anti's but that's just life... People have opinions & to silence them would be morally unjust. People will always agree as long as they have Free-Will, & God isn't changing that any time soon! So changing it would be rather pointless unless you're goign for something that ShadowMaat is against (i.e Chat-Rooms, Merging Pro's & Anti's, etc), which is morally unjust as said.

Other that, the increase in threads is due to Newbs (& off-course, the occasional n00b) not using the Search Button for Threads). Sticking Threads could be used as a solution but then the important Threads would becoem jumbled with the not-so-important Threads ending up in nobody reading them.

If the Forum is Fragmented, it's due to the Sheer Size of it. We've got 20,000 (~) members now (granted, there are those who've never posted... ever). I doubt the People of New York know each each & every person in it, so a Forum would have trouble... Really, there's no solution for this problem, so...

Other than that...
                      Last edited by The Prophet; 30 April 2006, 08:47 AM.

Comment

o newbies learns something new every post
                        If you're meaning to imply that nastiness is common on the Sulky Thread, it shows how very little you know about me and the Sulky Thread. I'm insulted.

And at almost 1500 replies, you're hardly new.

Comment

well i guess i misunderstand some of the things that go on in there then wasn't try to insult you
                          Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; 30 April 2006, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet
                            o changing it would be rather pointless unless yuo're goign for something that ShadowMaat is against (i.e Chat-Rooms, Merging Pro's & Anti's, etc), which is morally unjust as said.
                            Yes. Anything I'm against is morally unjust. LOL! I know that's not what you were saying (or I assume it isn't), but that tickles me.

I've seen boards that ARE used as chat rooms and where the pro and anti stuff is all together and whatnot, and while it may work for those boards (sort of), it isn't something I ever want to see here.

Comment

Originally posted by principia
                              I think there is too much division of the forum which causes people to be too scattered and thus causes conversations to be too sporadic. What about you? Don't you think a more unified forum would lead to more continuous conversations like a chat room style and less wasted time searching the forum for a good conversation?
                              I am still new to all this and I don't think the forum is too framented. I like having so many choices, I can find the one that fits my personality or mood. It has been fun exploring all the different threads. I would be less adapt to actually post if there wasn't so many choices.
                              I think the sporadic comes more from the time zone differences and the fact that not everyone sees the same shows let alone the same seasons at the same time.
                              Anyway, as a newbie, that's my two cents worth.
                              sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Working...
                              X