PDA

View Full Version : is the doctor in love with Rose Tyler

thegatebuilders
April 29th, 2006, 06:26 PM
yes i think the doctor is love with rose, in the subsequent season he sent her home while he faced impending death, at the downing street, he hesitated to blow her up, and the way it looks at her, it just confirms it.

Darkseid
April 29th, 2006, 10:24 PM
No, he isn't 'in love' with her. He has gone through life changing events (blowing up his planet and all) so he has a strong connection with her because of that.

The Doc doesn't fall in love with anyone. It cramps his style......

Metarock Sam
April 30th, 2006, 01:46 AM
He doesnt love her, he loves travelling with her. Well thats what I hope he does.

Happy_Gate
April 30th, 2006, 02:19 AM
I think he has great affection toward her, not love.

Metarock Sam
April 30th, 2006, 02:27 AM
She is more like his best friend.

Jonzey
April 30th, 2006, 02:51 AM
yes i think the doctor is love with rose, in the subsequent season he sent her home while he faced impending death, at the downing street, he hesitated to blow her up, and the way it looks at her, it just confirms it.
So wait... not killing someone means you love them? In that case I love pretty much everyone!

:p

No, I don't think he's in love. He's the Doctor. He doesn't feel things the same way as us humans.

The Signal
April 30th, 2006, 03:08 AM
I think he just cares for her greatly, she is the only person in the universe that he has beside him, if it werent for her, he would be alone. I also dont think he would let himself fall in love with anyone, especially not after his speach about having to live on, alone, while everyone else dies.

thegatebuilders
April 30th, 2006, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=Jonzey]So wait... not killing someone means you love them? In that case I love pretty much everyone!

:p

to me thats a definite yes - he is sacrificing the last of the time lords to safe an ape. that must be love

Jonzey
April 30th, 2006, 07:25 AM
to me thats a definite yes - he is sacrificing the last of the time lords to safe an ape. that must be love
Errr... what?

thegatebuilders
April 30th, 2006, 10:02 AM
OK, an evolved ape

The Signal
April 30th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Him sending Rose back to her time is what he does with all of his companions if he feels they are in danger (he normally goes with them, but this wasnt possible in this instance). He didnt sacrifice himself for her, he knew he would regenerate when he took the vortex from her. As for staying on the Bad Wolf station to fight, its what he does

Jonzey
April 30th, 2006, 10:40 AM
OK, an evolved ape
It wasn't that bit I didn't understand. If you're saying he gave up his life to save someone he cares about- that doesn't mean love. Hell, I'd probably do that if I had to.

creed462
April 30th, 2006, 11:36 AM
The Doctor gave up his fifth life for Peri.

thegatebuilders
April 30th, 2006, 11:36 AM
It wasn't that bit I didn't understand. If you're saying he gave up his life to save someone he cares about- that doesn't mean love. Hell, I'd probably do that if I had to.

well, that might be ok for a human, but the doctor isnt human though he does appear to posses human's emotions. my point is that the doctor is one of a kind and one of kind dont die for just anyone, thus meaning that the feeling must have travelled beyond like to love.

The Signal
April 30th, 2006, 11:41 AM
The Doctor would give his life for anyone! Why is that so hard for you to understand? He is a Time Lord, and though he is the last he would sacrifice himself to save as many lives as he can, that is who he is, and always has been!

Willow'sCat
April 30th, 2006, 04:55 PM
yes i think the doctor is love with rose, in the subsequent season he sent her home while he faced impending death, at the downing street, he hesitated to blow her up, and the way it looks at her, it just confirms it.I think the show is trying to give The Doctor more of a personal character then he had before, I feel like they are moving a little too close to 'romanticising' his relationships with his companions which I do not like or agree with. In the case of Rose it really just goes back to what I said in the Anti Doctor/Rose ship thread, she is young and immature, she is inexperienced in relationships not a criticism as she is only 19/20 but I remember that age and you know you fall hard and fast for guys and even though she still has feelings for Mickey it is obvious she has stronger feelings or THINKS she has stronger feelings for The Doctor.

The question would be better if asked "Is Rose in love with the Doctor?" because clearly she is, but I am afraid it is not reciprocated and it shouldn't be he is not only far too old for her, he is far too aware of the consequences to even entertain that idea. *I have no idea what the writers are doing but I hope they get that*. :S

The Doctor would sacrifice his life for almost anyone, that is part of his character and as for the spoiler above, are you saying giving a choice you would have not done the same thing for a person you convinced to come and travel with you? You promised would never be harmed?

He was keeping his word to Rose's mum. ;)

Easter Lily
April 30th, 2006, 06:36 PM
I think the show is trying to give The Doctor more of a personal character then he had before, I feel like they are moving a little too close to 'romanticising' his relationships with his companions which I do not like or agree with. In the case of Rose it really just goes back to what I said in the Anti Doctor/Rose ship thread, she is young and immature, she is inexperienced in relationships not a criticism as she is only 19/20 but I remember that age and you know you fall hard and fast for guys and even though she still has feelings for Mickey it is obvious she has stronger feelings or THINKS she has stronger feelings for The Doctor.

The question would be better if asked "Is Rose in love with the Doctor?" because clearly she is, but I am afraid it is not reciprocated and it shouldn't be he is not only far too old for her, he is far too aware of the consequences to even entertain that idea. *I have no idea what the writers are doing but I hope they get that*. :S
There is no doubt in my mind that Rose is infatuated with the Doctor. Who can blame her? As you say, she's 19/20... the Doctor has saved her on countless occasions and has expanded her horizons. He is a kind of surrogate father-figure, heroic adventurer, and modern day miracle worker, so for a world-weary city slicker, that is is the stuff of storybooks and legends.

But whether the Doctor does see her in that light is far more ambiguous because he is doing all the things that he has always done for all his companions. He has a youthful appearance which adds to the idea that he could be in love with her.
Personally I don't think he is "in love" with Rose... Not because he is incapable of it but because he will always be preoccupied with larger issues. The Doctor may be a romantic figure but he would make a lousy romantic partner because his affections will forever be divided among all his concerns and interests. I don't think Rose has really come to grips with that yet. At the moment I think Rose idolizes the Doctor and hasn't quite thought through the ramifications of a relationship with someone like the Doctor.

School Reunion Spoiler:
This is another reason why I'm glad that Mickey is tagging along. I suspect it will take the gloss off the Doctor just a bit. ;)

Darkseid
April 30th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Of course he loves her, but not in a romantic interest kind of way. He has felt the same way for a number of companions in the past, and people he has met in adventures (even though he may not outwardly show it at times). Despite his outward disdain for mankind (which gets rather off putting at times) he has shown an effection for us homosapiens. It is obvious he is in awe of our ability to create music, art, literature, Cricket, and at times seems to love our food. But The Doctor is alien, and a compasionate one at that. He does not have to flat out say, "I will sacrifice myself for these people!" in order to lay it all down. In "The Christmas Invasion", The Doctor appears from the TARDIS to save the day (something he does often it seems). He could have pushed a button at that point and taken off. No, he saves the day not just for Rose, but for everyone on that ship and the planet. This is one carring protector we have.

Jonzey
May 1st, 2006, 07:59 AM
The Doctor is in love... with ADVENTURE!

Yeah :cool:

mentalmichael
May 1st, 2006, 08:04 AM
Ultimately this doesn't matter - as the doctor said in School reunion [/spoilers] when Rose challenges him over the way he leaves his companions "you can spend the rest of your life with me, but I can't spend the rest of my life with you." He may love her (the way he paused after saying "watching someone you -" certainly made me suspect something, but they will never have a romantic relationship IMO. Mind you, I do think that the show lacks something because of it, but on the other hand that's really the point, isn't it? The doctor is, and always will be, ultimately alone.

Jonzey
May 1st, 2006, 08:10 AM
Ultimately this doesn't matter - as the doctor said in School reunion [/spoilers] when Rose challenges him over the way he leaves his companions "you can spend the rest of your life with me, but I can't spend the rest of my life with you." He may love her (the way he paused after saying "watching someone you -" certainly made me suspect something, but they will never have a romantic relationship IMO. Mind you, I do think that the show lacks something because of it, but on the other hand that's really the point, isn't it? The doctor is, and always will be, ultimately alone.
Yeah, that scene really did make it clear- the Doctor is always alone. Any company he has is purely temporary. He is the last of his species and will outlive pretty much everyone else he meets. It's quite melancholy really- and it's a wonder how he manages to keep such an upbeat attitude most of the time.

(Another moment like this was in New Earth with the Face of Boe (Boa? Bo? Bow? Beau?) I can't remember the exact quote but it was about how they were both alone)

Metarock Sam
May 2nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
Well if he wanted to he could keep K-9. As K-9 isnt too Temporary. Or even Kamelion or Kamelion II (In one of the novels Kamelion and the Tardis produced Kameilion II who took the form of Peri on Earth whilst she went Travelling with the Doctor).

creed462
May 2nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Well if he wanted to he could keep K-9. As K-9 isnt too Temporary. Or even Kamelion or Kamelion II (In one of the novels Kamelion and the Tardis produced Kameilion II who took the form of Peri on Earth whilst she went Travelling with the Doctor).
A robot lack something a conpanion gives.

Remember they only think in logic, and comput what they have been given.

GhostPoet
May 2nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
No, it's not love. Well, it IS...but not like boyfriend/girlfriend kinda gig.

He loves her as a person and as a connection with her. A bond. It's love, just not the affectionate kind.

The Dalek was right. The Doctor IS alone in the universe. A living, breathing companion...someone he connects with gives him something far deeper than just ordinary love...it gives him company. Someone to share his thoughts and adventures with.

And most importantly...he is no longer alone.

creed462
May 2nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
Sadly the doctor has the Imortal's curse

Commander Ivanova
May 2nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
No. He's got more sense, and better taste.

LaCroix
May 2nd, 2006, 01:30 PM
In my opinion, no. He may care for her as a friend, but with what he has been through, any attachments maybe too much. The Dr. is the last Time Lord and thre will be no more, but the human race will go one even without Rose.

indaeo
May 2nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
I really think they like to keep it at a certain level so that people who want there to be that love can see certain things and cling to them, but at the same time, they keep enough of a distance so as not to cross that line that may upset other viewers who would rather it not get romantic.

I can easily see it both ways, as I think he's an incredibly lonely man who craves that companionship and Rose seems naturally flirtatious. Whether or not Rose is more special to him than any of his other companions is a topic that will never be resolved - again, it depends on what you want to see. Based on what CE said in an interview.. (I don't know when it was done, so just in case I'll hide it)

where he said that this IS a love story, I'd say he definitely played his part on the side of romantic love. As some have said, Rose definitely has it bad for him, so BP was probably playing the same thing.

I think *that* has enabled a lot of people to see this as a fully reciprocated romantic love relationship.

Shipperahoy
May 2nd, 2006, 05:35 PM
ShadowMaat linked to a very interesting entry from nostalgia lj in her livejournal a while back about why the Doctor shouldn't be shipped (http://nostalgia-lj.livejournal.com/988156.html) and it's a VERY interesting read. I ship for SG-1 but I do not ship at all for Doctor Who. The entry pretty much covers all the bases of why I don't.

creed462
May 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
DW I think that is part of the appeal of the doctor, THat he seems a little aloft from his conpainions

fan of jack
May 3rd, 2006, 02:28 PM
you have to feel sorry for the doctor he is alone most of the time. a life time to rose probibly feels like a couple of months to the doctor after all he is gonna way outlive her. he may not want to get too close to rose knowing that she'll die eventually and is happy just having a companion in the short term.:D

Jax
May 22nd, 2006, 02:26 PM
No. He's got more sense, and better taste.

Agreed, totally. It's a sad state of affairs if the Doctor fell for Rose, when you consider all his past companions. She's the kind of girl you'd consider as a mate, but not as a love interest and the way the characters are forced together is simply hilarious.

Basically, even with all her character development, Rose is just plain boring and annoying. I'd prefer Jack or Mickey as companions, and I'm a guy!

Personally, I began to detest Rose (not piper, whose been fantastic) halfway through the first season. I'm on season two now and she's now up there with Adric in being one of the most annoying Mary-Sue characters ever. Sadly alot of fangirls identify with her... if that's a correct conclusion to draw from the 1000+ Rose/Doctor fanfics at fanfiction.net. 1000+ with about 20 that are worth reading. It's actually more like 2000+, but I doubt people would believe me.

spaceman1701
May 23rd, 2006, 09:03 AM
Loves her as a companion, Not as her boyfriend

Flyboy
May 23rd, 2006, 12:39 PM
Loves her as a companion, Not as a boyfriend
Quite, I agree that the doctor doesnt see Rose as a boyfriend....

;)