Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does it seem like everybody is starting to hate Atlantis?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does it seem like everybody is starting to hate Atlantis?

It seems like in a lot of random replies, people are complaining about a lot of the show's faults (not exploring the city enough, kirking, not a driven story arc through s2).now, I don't watch Atlantis much (only have time for SG-1...long story, hope that didnt make it sound like i am avoiding Atlantis purposely)........but should I believe (what seems like) the majority of online Atalntis fans that this show is starting to tumble in quality in several aspects.

Funny--->What seemed like the majority of people on Gateworld thought Atlantis s1 was better than SG-1 s8

Give people enough downtime, they'll start to find fault with anything - even something they like.

Comment

actually it was pretty easy for me to drop SG1 altogether because i got bored, but i'm loving Atlantis and it'd take a lot to get me fed up with the show. I'm a bit pissed about some spoilers i've been hearing about season three, but there are other things i'm really looking forward to seeing. And yeah, season 1 of SGA was definitely a lot better than season 8 of SG1 IMO, that's one of the things made it so easy for me to stop watching, lol.

Comment

You're starting to see some complaints (not all, some are valid) about Atlantis just for the sake of complaining. Same with SG-1. Some people just aren't happy if they can't pick something apart. Personally, I'm still really enjoying both shows.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by walter_MacChevron
          It seems like in a lot of random replies, people are complaining about a lot of the show's faults (not exploring the city enough, kirking, not a driven story arc through s2).now, I don't watch Atlantis much (only have time for SG-1...long story, hope that didnt make it sound like i am avoiding Atlantis purposely)........but should I believe (what seems like) the majority of online Atalntis fans that this show is starting to tumble in quality in several aspects.

Funny--->What seemed like the majority of people on Gateworld thought Atlantis s1 was better than SG-1 s8
          They are COMPELLED to complain. They want 9 seasons of development in 2. They want a FICTIONAL show to follow real life militarl protocol. Real life military protocol is boring. And I fail to see how two "encounters" (One with an acended Ancient) counts as kirking.
          sigpic
          I am Zim, Irken Invader Zim. I am responsible for the safe obliteration of the human race, not you!' - Zim - Invader Zim
          'Don't worry, officer. You are in a filthy Earth brain hospital. Your feelings are normal. There's a squid brain in your head! ' - Zim - Invader Zim
          'Now, to unleash screaming temporal doom! ' - Zim -Invader Zim

Comment

Well, I certainly don't think everybody here hates Atlantis or is even starting to hate Atlantis, nor do I think that most of the critiquers/nitpickers/criticizers hate Atlantis either. I enjoyed season one and had big hopes for season two. While I liked it for the most part it had problems that I found irksome and I discussed them on the forum. I certainly don't hate Atlantis and I'm looking forward to season 3, but if I don't like something that happened on the show then I'll post about it here. That's what this place is for, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
              Well, I certainly don't think everybody here hates Atlantis or is even starting to hate Atlantis, nor do I think that most of the critiquers/nitpickers/criticizers hate Atlantis either. I enjoyed season one and had big hopes for season two. While I liked it for the most part it had problems that I found irksome and I discussed them on the forum. I certainly don't hate Atlantis and I'm looking forward to season 3, but if I don't like something that happened on the show then I'll post about it here. That's what this place is for, after all.
              Ahh the McWeirs, I'm lovin' it....voices of reason!! What happened to my overturning?! Anyway I completely agree with this post, she hit it on the nail. Criticism alway seems to be synonymous with hate...I can't under bloody stand why that is! I'm not gonna put it on a pedestal...anyway..I slightly digress...I also can't wait for S3.

VB
              Last edited by vaberella; 28 April 2006, 09:13 PM.
              Click statement above to read article.

Comment

I love Atlantis and SG-1 both. But Atlantis I feel was real let down in Season 2. As for the statments above, no story arch, no character developments, no search for the city for mundane to very crappy stories.

Comment

I have had minor complaints concerning season 2. But I still loved it. I just want it to be perfect, (which of course, it wasn't, but neither was season 1), and enjoy discussing it. Not every storyline is going to be universally enjoyed, not every character or character moment celebrated. The ratings on SciFi for SGA were better than SG1 overall, so I guess people are still enjoying it and watching it, which says it all really!
                  I'm hoping lessons have been learned from Season 2, and that Season 3 will be better from that learning curve.
                  sigpic

Comment

I still prefer Sg1 to Atlantis. There've just been a few minor things in S2 Atlantis which really bugged me (the rushed endings to episodes, never seeming to get anything out of most of the episodes).

But one thing I prefer in Atlantis over Sg1 is that they seem to be trying to 'break the mold' a lot more- doing unexpected things. Like Teyla's song in S2 or that S3 ep which they're filming in a different way.

It feels like Sg1 has got bigger and darker in s9, whereas Atlantis is really trying to distance itself from other sci fi shows.

Comment

SGA reminds me of all of my favorite episodes of past SG1. Stand alone episodes are my favorites. I'm happy with seeing the offworld team alone doing whatever. I'd like to see another episode like The Brotherhood which was my favorite. All you needed to know was they needed a zpm. I think it took SG1 a long time to reveal anything other than the 4 main characters. Compare Hammond to Weir. What do we know about his past other than his grandkids and his help in 1969. When SG1 needed help or checking in Hammond was briefly in the episode for that reason. Compare Janet to Carson. It took many seasons to find that she adopted a daughter and a line about her ex husband. What else did we ever learn about her? And she was 1 of my favs. They had backup roles to the 4 main characters and thats the way I loved SG1 and why I love SGA. I like learning about the past lives of but I could live without it as long as the team is on a world looking for more Ancient tech. Thats why I'm always tuned into SGA.

Comment

Here's a wild suggestion to help promote a more friendly board environment: Stop insulting people and their opinions just because YOU (generally speaking) don't agree. And stop wanking off their LEGITIMATE complaints (to them) as "Oh, they just like to whine" or "they can't accept change" or other equally obnoxious and grossly arrogant dismissals.

You don't have to agree with their reasons, you don't even have to like their reasons, but at least TRY to show a little respect. Nasty, sniping little comments might make YOU feel all better and superior, but it generates a lot of animosity.

Personally, I'm sick of seeing the characters being lobotomized into making completely ASININE decisions just so TPTB can further some plot point. If you have to turn your characters into idiots and make them act not like themselves in order to forward the story, maybe you should try going back and finding another way to do it, instead.

I'm tired of the kirking. I don't care if other fans disagree and say "it's not that bad" and "you're blowing it out of proportion" the point is that it's overdone TO ME and I would like to see less of it.

I am deeply, hatefully resentful of all the crossovers planned for next season. Do I mind the occasional crossover? No. But every other spoiler that comes out about S3 seems to include "so-and-so from SG-1 will be in an upcoming ep." The way I look at it is that if I wanted to watch SG-1, I would. If I'm watching Atlantis, it's because I want to see ATLANTIS, NOT SG-1.

The characters seemed- to me- to change in S2, and not in a good way (not ALL change is automatically good). McKay became more hysterical (and I don't mean funny, although he was certainly played up for the laughs), Sheppard became more of a "babe magnet" and less of an adult and competent leader, Teyla continued to be sidelined and ignored (even when she had something important to say) and Weir... Oy. Too much of the waffly mother hen and not enough of the mature woman in command of Atlantis.

That is all MY opinion. You can disagree all you want (and I'm sure many of you do) but please don't insult me OR my opinions by dismissing it away just so you can make yourselves feel superior.

I assume this thread was started to find out why people suddenly seem to be "hating" Atlantis. Well, you've got one answer. I don't hate the show so much as I'm disappointed with the aspects that are being played up and the parts that are being ignored.

Hopefully this thread won't simply be a place to bash and ridicule anyone who dares to complain about the show. I'd like to think folks can be a little more mature than that.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Great_and_Powerful_OZ!
                          Compare Janet to Carson. It took many seasons to find that she adopted a daughter and a line about her ex husband.
                          Actually we learned about that in the first season of SG1, 'adopted daughter Cassie' at the end of 'Singularity' and 'ex-husband line' in the cell in 'Hathor'.

To get back on topic...

I just love Atlantis and prefer both seasons to the last two of SG-1. Of course there are always episodes that don't seem like much at the time but still they contribute in some way to the entire story.

I can't wait for season 3 to start...
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by walter_MacChevron

I stongly agree with you, the prospect of exploring a new galaxy, was attractive at first, but as it turns out, the only galaxy we explore is the gate room. Although i have to admit that i still have an unrelenting support for the show, Dr Mckay's lack of tack and deplomacy (allies, and the brotherhoods where he was responsible for the loss of the ZPM) is biggining to bug me as well as the other people i have spoken to, although we all concluded that we will surely miss him if he was to have a terible accident, seeing that he is the best scientist we have on the base.

Furthermore, the Pegasus galaxy is the home of the Ancient and yet all the people we seem to meet comes from a primative society and i know the wraith could be held accountable for this, but give me a break its the end of season two and we have meet any other underground civilisation apart from the genite who are still primative in comparison.

the show's disappointing departure from its predecessor (SG1) is another growing pain on the fans of atlantis. firstly, the curent model of SG1 in atlantis no longer representative of the one in our galaxy with the depature of Ford living Sheppard whose lack of respect for the chain of command beats that of oneil who can always be constrained by carter, Daniel and teal'c analogies and Mckay who cannot be compared with carter who has both wit and intelligence, and if it counts she is even more intelligent than him. dont get me started on ronon, a violence maniac whose only contribution to the team is unleashing the fury of the wraith Micheal on atlantis (micheal/allies), while tayla is bright contrast to teal'c. so in this respect two member of the atlantis first offworld team are aliens, one is a chicken and the leader appears to have been breft of all leadership qualities.

the grose mis-management of the expedition is another point of concern that makes you think that perharps it is time for Dr wier to pack her backs. i wont go into details as anyone who has watched allies would agree with me.
                            Last edited by thegatebuilders; 29 April 2006, 07:37 AM.
                            some relationships are worth getting your heart broken over

doctor who

Comment

I've enjoyed both seasons of Atlantis immensly, and while I am *very* worried about some of the s3 spoilers I've read...it's not enough for me to make every post about the show a complaint unlike some I can mention.

I think it's pretty obvious that most people are having problems with Atlantis, but there are a few people on this board who are quite vocal in expressing their total dislike for the show, and I think that kind of gives an unfair impression overall.

Personally I loved s1 and s2...I'll reserve judgement on s3 until I've seen it.
                              sigpic
                              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Working...
                              X