PDA

View Full Version : The Caprica speculation/discussion thread

Skydiver
April 27th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Here it is, your one stop shopping for all things Caprica.

discuss, debate, have fun. But let's limit it all to the confines of this thread for the time being.

Pharaoh Atem
April 27th, 2006, 05:02 AM
well here the article for those who don't know http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/04/scifiannouncesigalacticais.shtml

the shows going to be set more than 50 years before the events of Battlestar Galactica, Caprica takes place on the capital world of the Twelve Colonies. There humankind thrives, living in a peaceful society with the benefits of high technology. But the development of an advanced, robotic, artificial life form is about to change everything.

The Engineer
April 27th, 2006, 07:37 AM
The big question is: WHEN?

Blue Banrigh
April 27th, 2006, 07:41 AM
My guess would be late 2007 - early 2008.

Prior_of_the_Ori
April 27th, 2006, 07:46 AM
I wonder if they will reuse some of the original series designs like the mushroom shaped Basestars and disk shaped fighters. They could potentially even bring back the IL series who would serve a more administrative role while the Centurions were the warriors.

BackStageJim
April 27th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Who should be frontrunners for acting roles?

Would known or relatively unknown actors be better in cast.

Due to rising cost in YVR would it be best filmed elsewhere? This might impact actor’s availability.

Should there be any ‘Adama’ grandfathering? Knowing that this will take place before current timeline and family military is established.

Can we sustain another BSG show? Knowing for the most part many has issues with Stargate spin-off, Atlantis.

Doze
April 27th, 2006, 08:25 AM
I total love this idea! I’d love to see the cylons as good guys being taken advantage by the humans. I’d love to see this go in to the war years.

prion
April 27th, 2006, 08:27 AM
here's scifi's official press release:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr.cgi?id=20060426scifi02

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

SCI FI CHANNEL UNVEILS POWERHOUSE DEVELOPMENT SLATE

Unprecedented Commitment to Original Programming With Top Tier Creative Talent Including Jesse Alexander, Freddie Prinze Jr., Eric McCormack

NEW YORK -- April 26, 2006 -- SCI FI Channel's Mark Stern, EVP, Original Programming, announced today an aggressive slate of original scripted dramas, miniseries, alternative reality and late night series for the Channel. Already established as an industry leader with highly acclaimed and award-winning shows such as 'Battlestar Galactica,' SCI FI Channel's latest slate of high profile projects showcases top industry luminaries and offers imaginative, broad appeal entertainment.

Scripted Series
'CAPRICA'
From executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick ('Battlestar Galactica'), writer Remi Aubuchon ('24') and NBC Universal Television Studio, this new series is set over a half a century before the events that play out in 'Battlestar Galactica.' The people of the Twelve Colonies are at peace and living in a society not unlike our own, but where high-technology has changed the lives of virtually everyone for the better. But a startling breakthrough in robotics is about to occur, one that will bring to life the age-old dream of marrying artificial intelligence with a mechanical body to create the first living robot - a Cylon. Following the lives of two families, the Graystones and the Adamas (the family of William Adama, who will one day become the commander of the 'Battlestar Galactica') 'Caprica' weaves corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga.

GateLadyM
April 27th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Who should be frontrunners for acting roles?

Would known or relatively unknown actors be better in cast.

Due to rising cost in YVR would it be best filmed elsewhere? This might impact actor’s availability.

Should there be any ‘Adama’ grandfathering? Knowing that this will take place before current timeline and family military is established.

Can we sustain another BSG show? Knowing for the most part many has issues with Stargate spin-off, Atlantis.
They will use unknowns - cheaper. Also sounds like they will use the same writing team which will spread them awfully thin. Plus, someone else mentioned in the other thread, it sounds like SciFi is looking for a replacement for the Stargate shows. The casts, especially SG1 have been around along time and probably get more money than unknowns would in a new show, and if the whole show is based on "Caprica" then the special effects would probably be a lot cheaper.

Ed
April 27th, 2006, 11:17 AM
we may get to see the origanal twelve battlestars being built after the cylons go bad and that other family that isnt the adams will get woven into the curent series now:)

Arative
April 27th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I still want to know what sexual politics mean. That phrase sounds kind of funny to me.

Doze
April 27th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I still want to know what sexual politics mean. That phrase sounds kind of funny to me.

What does a cigar, a blue dress and a Monica have in common

NumberSix.CF
April 27th, 2006, 12:19 PM
So this means hellow 4th season for BSG? :D

BackStageJim
April 27th, 2006, 12:53 PM
... television's first science fiction family saga.

Guess Will Robinson and family were not Sci-Fi, then again it was the 60's.

the fifth man
April 27th, 2006, 12:58 PM
As long as this new series doesn't damage the quality of BSG, I'm all for it, I guess. I'll at least give it a chance.

FoolishPleasure
April 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM
It would be nice to have BSG and Caprica on one night, then SG1 and SGA on another night. I'd end up watching Skiffy more than just Friday nights.

Albion
April 27th, 2006, 11:34 PM
I'll give it a look and may well end up pleasantly surprised, but I have to say that based purely on the article it sounds positively dreadful. And I have the very bad feeling that it will mean for BSG what Atlantis (partly) meant for SG1 - a huge drop in quality and people trying to work on two shows without extra time to do a good job on the original.

But...we'll see.

Albion :)

Blue Banrigh
April 28th, 2006, 03:43 AM
I wonder if they'll use the same visual style as Battlestar Galactica, the hand held cameras, the same colour palette, etc.

Mefusta
April 28th, 2006, 04:03 AM
And I have the very bad feeling that it will mean for BSG what Atlantis (partly) meant for SG1 - a huge drop in quality and people trying to work on two shows without extra time to do a good job on the original. What are you talking about? Season 7 - during which Atlantis would have first been in production - was great, and Season 8 contained some of the best episodes SG1 has produced! I'd say there was a rise in quality from the point when Atlantis started production.

Although, it could be argued that having two shows can lower the quality in certain circumstances, an example of which being the number of somewhat craptacular Atlantis episodes possibly due to the increased effort put into SG1 with their S9 shakeup [but should be alleviated by now]. But still, hardly damning evidence, eh?

Regarding [i]Caprica, I for one look forward to it, and hope it'll be liiiiittle bit more light-hearted than what we've already seen out of RDM, thereby allowing him to take BSG into even darker territory, which is something we can all enjoy.

Arative
April 28th, 2006, 06:05 AM
It would be nice to have BSG and Caprica on one night, then SG1 and SGA on another night. I'd end up watching Skiffy more than just Friday nights.

I would imagine that is part of the reasoning for moving BSG to October? Not that Caprica would premier this October but Sci-fi would have SG-1 and Atlantis for the Summer and Spring and then BSG and Caprica for the fall and then late spring, early summer after SG-1 ended its season in March. Year round quality programming would look attractive to advertisers!

Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
April 28th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Meh...not very happy with the spin-off idea. It could be good, I wasn't exactly cheering for Atlantis and now... but a prequel sort of spin off? I don't know...we saw what happened with Enterprise...

I'd much rather they spent their money in making other new shows who, for all we know might be excellent if given a chance.

sg1_david
May 1st, 2006, 11:36 PM
It's a bad idea. The new BSG is bad enough

Nero
May 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
It's a bad idea. The new BSG is bad enough

Yep its so bad its been a smash with Critics and won loads of awards and has fansite after fansite dedicated to it. And its so bad that it actually gone on longer than the Original has and is continuing to be Sci-Fi's highest rated show.
And its also so bad you come on to the Galactica forums, read a thread about the prequel to the new BSG series and post how bad its gonna be? ;)

Chricton
May 2nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
So bad that it made AFI's top 10 list, jeez that's bad.

Bad bad bad.....

..wait...?

Blue Banrigh
May 5th, 2006, 03:17 AM
After reading David Eick's latest interview is anybody else thinking that the Greystones might be the family that was leading the charge for AI/Cylon development?

Major Zoidberg
May 5th, 2006, 04:35 AM
It would make sense, i wonder whether Adama's family will be the ones who are paranoid about computers, might be where the adama himself got the paranioa :o

The Engineer
May 7th, 2006, 02:39 AM
I would imagine that is part of the reasoning for moving BSG to October? Not that Caprica would premier this October but Sci-fi would have SG-1 and Atlantis for the Summer and Spring and then BSG and Caprica for the fall and then late spring, early summer after SG-1 ended its season in March. Year round quality programming would look attractive to advertisers!
Assuming your supposition is correct, then Sci Fi Channel is looking for the right formula to increase their revenues from advertising and making almost the entire year profitable: in the summer we get Stargate and in the autumn and winter we get Battlestar; so it looks like the Sci Fi's intention is to keep the Stargates, and if this formula they are looking for works.... oh, boy, we would get 4 series a year from Sci Fi, 4 great series.

The Engineer
May 7th, 2006, 02:40 AM
It would make sense, i wonder whether Adama's family will be the ones who are paranoid about computers, might be where the adama himself got the paranioa :o
I wonder if its not the other way arround.

Blue Banrigh
May 7th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I wonder if its not the other way arround.
You mean Joseph Adama being on the payroll of the corporation behind the cylon technology?

Major Zoidberg
May 7th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Which may also explain why bill adama joined the military to stop the cylons :S

wow such great stroy potential :cool:

The Engineer
May 7th, 2006, 12:31 PM
You mean Joseph Adama being on the payroll of the corporation behind the cylon technology?
Why not?! Predictibility is annoying and less interesting. It would give a deeper motivation to Bill Adama's hate towards the Cylons. And RDM tries to mirror what's happening in the real world and kind of debating over the issues of today, kinda like Star Trek with less techno bable. Maybe he will try to take the "parents' action harm their childrens' future" approach, who knows.

the Fifth Race
August 18th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I found this searching through some bio stuff on Ronald D. Moore of Star Trek and BSG fame......

Announced: May 4, 2006
Caprica (2007) [TV-Series 2007-????]
Two families, the Graystones and the Adamas, live together on a peaceful planet known as Caprica, where a startling breakthrough in artificial intelligence brings about unforeseen consequences. A spin-off of the Sci Fi Channel series "Battlestar Galactica" set 50 years prior to the events of that show.

Was originally pitched to NBC/Universal by Remi Aubuchon as an independent series with no connection to the Battlestar Galactica franchise. NBC/Universal read the pilot (an allegorical story about slavery with robots) and suggested Aubuchon meet with Ronald D. Moore and David Eick (who were considering a Battlestar Galactica spin-off series at the time). Aubuchon, Moore and Eick met and within a couple of months the "Caprica" series was born.

Remi Aubuchon writer
David Eick writer
Ronald D. Moore writer

Produced by
Remi Aubuchon .... executive producer
David Eick .... executive producer
Ronald D. Moore .... executive producer

Wow, any thoughts or ideas on this, does it mean that this will be the last season of BSG then Caprica will start, or will they run both shows at the sametime like SG and SGA?.

Cat_the_Alien
August 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM
AFAIK, they intend to run both shows simultaneously.

I'm not too sure about Caprica. I guess I'll have to see it to really judge it, but I must admit, I always have doubts about spin-offs.

RedGuard
August 18th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Wasn't Galactica 1980 a spin-off of sorts? It was also horrible. Making a Caprica spin-off, might not work. They don't even know if Battlestar Galactica can stand alone against the networks or even without its lead-in shows. Plus I never saw BSG as a spin-off type of show. It might of worked for Law & Order (even though the last attempt failed after several episodes) but NBCs latest Friends spin-off (Joey) was cancelled. Last thing I want is for NBC to mess up BSG.

Starbase
August 18th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Wasn't Galactica 1980 a spin-off of sorts? It was also horrible. Making a Caprica spin-off, might not work. They don't even know if Battlestar Galactica can stand alone against the networks or even without its lead-in shows. Plus I never saw BSG as a spin-off type of show. It might of worked for Law & Order (even though the last attempt failed after several episodes) but NBCs latest Friends spin-off (Joey) was cancelled. Last thing I want is for NBC to mess up BSG.
I can see it working if it follows the end of new BSG after this coming season. BSG didn't do very well with the ratings last year (especially in the second half of the season).

This kind of storyline in the BSG universe interests me, so I look forward to it, if it becomes reality. Having Ronald D.Moore as one of the writers and creators is a great start!.

NBC might be gun-shy after the Joey and Surface rating debacles from last year, that being said, I enjoyed both shows (especially Surface) and hated seeming them both get the ax.

Craig Ranapia
August 20th, 2006, 07:40 PM

Um, but I thought it was established in dialogue back in season 1 (Litmus, I think) that Joseph Adama was Carpca's answer to Atticus Finch? :S It always stuck in my mind because I expected William Adama to come from a hardcore military background (like Starbuck), but as happens so often on this show the only predictable thing is how unpredictable things are on BSG.

Aussie_86
August 21st, 2006, 12:31 AM
For those who don't know, i've read somewhere (interview with either RDM or David Eick) that they are not intending on Running Caprica, but makingg the other guy (writer for 24 (or something to do with 24)) be the lead man for the show, and they basically just check his work and make sure it's going where they want it to be going.

That's why i'm having high hopes for this show, because they're bringing in another very capable writer to do it, while they concentrate on BSG

the Fifth Race
August 21st, 2006, 04:00 AM
I found this searching through some bio stuff on Ronald D. Moore of Star Trek and BSG fame......

Announced: May 4, 2006
Caprica (2007) [TV-Series 2007-????]
Two families, the Graystones and the Adamas, live together on a peaceful planet known as Caprica, where a startling breakthrough in artificial intelligence brings about unforeseen consequences. A spin-off of the Sci Fi Channel series "Battlestar Galactica" set 50 years prior to the events of that show.

Was originally pitched to NBC/Universal by Remi Aubuchon as an independent series with no connection to the Battlestar Galactica franchise. NBC/Universal read the pilot (an allegorical story about slavery with robots) and suggested Aubuchon meet with Ronald D. Moore and David Eick (who were considering a Battlestar Galactica spin-off series at the time). Aubuchon, Moore and Eick met and within a couple of months the "Caprica" series was born.

Remi Aubuchon writer
David Eick writer
Ronald D. Moore writer

Produced by
Remi Aubuchon .... executive producer
David Eick .... executive producer
Ronald D. Moore .... executive producer

Wow, any thoughts or ideas on this, does it mean that this will be the last season of BSG then Caprica will start, or will they run both shows at the sametime like SG and SGA?.

I was wondering where my Caprica Discussion thread went. I guess I didn't do as through a search as I should have before starting a new thread, :o sorry about that Skydiver. Thanx for combining the my thread with yours.

deathskull
August 21st, 2006, 11:17 AM
i'm looking forward to caprica as a seris the thing i'm wondering is weather caprica will go into the war years or weather that will be a spin off of the spin off as it were !!!!!!

K07
August 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM
For those who don't know, i've read somewhere (interview with either RDM or David Eick) that they are not intending on Running Caprica, but makingg the other guy (writer for 24 (or something to do with 24)) be the lead man for the show, and they basically just check his work and make sure it's going where they want it to be going.

That's why i'm having high hopes for this show, because they're bringing in another very capable writer to do it, while they concentrate on BSG

Up until I saw this much, I was doubtful not for Caprica, but for the quality of BSG (which I'm convinced already suffered the last half of season 2). Now I'm excited for both shows. Caprica will be something completely different, but I really would love to see some more backstory on the colonies themselves and the Cylons.

deathskull
October 31st, 2006, 01:26 PM
it's been a while since there was any news has anyone heard any thing ?
i think it should be on by season 4 of bsg next (one can hope)

SoulReaver
October 31st, 2006, 01:33 PM
it's been a while since there was any news has anyone heard any thing ?nope everything's pretty much dead on Caprica ( )

Trek_Girl42
October 31st, 2006, 01:33 PM
nope everything's pretty much dead on Caprica ( )
Dead as in there's no news. Not dead as in, it's not going to happen. :)

Chricton
October 31st, 2006, 02:25 PM
Probably going to premier either Oct 2007 (hopefully with S4 of BSG), or early 2008.

Sci-Fi
October 31st, 2006, 02:37 PM
It's still in the development stage. Several "Spec Scripts" have been written/revised and are almost ready to present to TPTB. If "Caprica" gets the greenlight to go into production, you won't see it air until 2008 at the earliest. It normally takes approx 2-3 years from the initial "pitch" to full production IF there are no hitches (circumstances or differences to delay progress).

There's more to the process than just presenting an idea ("pitch") for a series. Not only does one have to write a "spec script', but develop the show to a point where the execs (TPTB) have an idea where the producer/writer wants to go with the concept if it becomes a hit...a series outline or "bible". Then advertisers have to be contacted and sold (get excited?) on the projected series as well as investors. Once the finances and the budget for the series are set and the script approved, then the producer will start looking for studio space, enter contract negotiations with the various unions, build sets, etc etc.

So one can see there are a lot of hoops to jump through and the process can be a long one...some projects are "shelved" by the studio even after sets are built and may be revived later or just languish on the shelf. Other shows may take as long as 5 years before it is aired...some refer to this as "timing"...esp if a concept/series is considered controversial, or if revisions are needed to meet the changing tastes of the viewing public.

SoulReaver
October 31st, 2006, 03:45 PM
Dead as in there's no news. Not dead as in, it's not going to happen. :)duh my bad & bad pun - I thought he was talking about the planet, not whatever it is he's talkin about :o

(guess it's supposed to be a BSG movie or something from what I've read in this thread :confused: )

Admiral Mappalazarou
October 31st, 2006, 03:50 PM
lol, not heard anything since its announcement. sorry! :(

Trek_Girl42
October 31st, 2006, 03:58 PM
duh my bad & bad pun - I thought he was talking about the planet, not whatever it is he's talkin about :o

Awww frak, that one went over my head.....
*groans* :rolleyes:

He's talking about the Caprica spin-off tv show. ;)

Admiral Mappalazarou
October 31st, 2006, 03:59 PM
Awww frak, that one went over my head.....
*groans* :rolleyes:

He's talking about the Caprica spin-off tv show. ;)

lol yeh he thought that the guy was askin about the planet Caprica and would it be in season 4 lol, actually I did at first but then I read some posts :)

SoulReaver
October 31st, 2006, 04:02 PM
*groans* :rolleyes:http://img.presence-pc.com/forum/icones/smilies/fou.gif

He's talking about the Caprica spin-off tv show. ;)Cool :tealc: (if it ain't false hopes)

what's the storyline ?
sequel to BSG s3?

Admiral Mappalazarou
October 31st, 2006, 04:05 PM
http://img.presence-pc.com/forum/icones/smilies/fou.gif

Cool :tealc: (if it ain't false hopes)

what's the storyline ?
sequel to BSG2003 ?

It's a prequel to BSG 2003 and apparently revolves around the birth of the Cylons and the inevitable rebellion, but Big Ron's doing it so there's bound to be something else going on as well ;)

SoulReaver
October 31st, 2006, 04:22 PM
It's a prequel to BSG 2003 and apparently revolves around the birth of the Cylons and the inevitable rebellion, but Big Ron's doing it so there's bound to be something else going on as well ;)was about to type 'prequel' instead of 'sequel' (since Caprica's a radioactive wasteland so it's no longer livable) but then again that means they'll ą redo the 1978 series with the 2003 series' tone & special fx or something ?

(also the title's kinda odd for what's supposed to be a BSG prequel - unless the cylons were designed & built only on Caprica & none of the other colonies)

Trek_Girl42
October 31st, 2006, 09:52 PM
It's set fifty years before and surrounds two families who were major players in it all- the Adamas (you may have heard of them ;))- I believe mainly focusing on Adama Sr. (so, William Adama's father- was he also called William? Can't remember if that was mentioned.) the Lawyer, and another family called the Graystones, which we know nothing about, but I would presume that it was a member of that family who created the cylons.

And it's supposed to be almost entirly planet-based, described as a "family drama, dealing with sexual politics, political intreague, and the rise of a new form of intelligence"- the description was something along those lines, but I wouldn't take my memory overly seriously. ;)

SoulReaver
October 31st, 2006, 10:19 PM
It's set fifty years before and surrounds two families who were major players in it all- the Adamas (you may have heard of them ;))- I believe mainly focusing on Adama Sr. (so, William Adama's father- was he also called William? Can't remember if that was mentioned.) the Lawyer, and another family called the Graystones, which we know nothing about, but I would presume that it was a member of that family who created the cylons.

And it's supposed to be almost entirly planet-based, described as a "family drama, dealing with sexual politics, political intreague, and the rise of a new form of intelligence"- the description was something along those lines, but I wouldn't take my memory overly seriously. ;)key word spotted

I'll stay tuned -)

(you make it sound like a soap opera though :ronon: )

lordmutt
October 31st, 2006, 10:23 PM
key word spotted

I'll stay tuned -)

He that's what it's been described as officially....a soap :(

Trek_Girl42
October 31st, 2006, 10:28 PM
key word spotted

I'll stay tuned -)

I make it sound like a soap opera? I don't make things sound like soap operas, I report them as they are (or at least accuratly enough, I hope).

I agree that it does sound soapy-ish, but that won't deter me. I can't wait for this show, just as long as they don't try to rush it into production, which I doubt RDM would allow unless the script is just right. :)

Trek_Girl42
October 31st, 2006, 10:28 PM
officially? don't you mean un-officially?

lordmutt
October 31st, 2006, 10:45 PM
officially? don't you mean un-officially?
Yes your right i went back here (http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Caprica_%28series%29)

And it says

"Following the lives of two families, the Graystones and the Adamas (the family of William Adama, who will one day become the commander of the Battlestar Galactica), Caprica will weave together corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga, the channel announced. "

Bleh corporate intrigue? techno-action? wtf? hmm sexual politics..

Honestly wtf is techno-action?

Trek_Girl42
October 31st, 2006, 10:49 PM
Techno-action.....fighting technology.....? I have no idea.....still looking forward to it, and if it sucks, just won't watch it. :)

Pharaoh Atem
November 2nd, 2006, 05:52 AM
it's been a while since there was any news has anyone heard any thing ?
i think it should be on by season 4 of bsg next (one can hope)

i've been wondering the same thing

Tempis
November 2nd, 2006, 05:27 PM
William Adama's father was named Joseph. It was engraved on the lighter he gives Lee before they destroy the Cylon mining base.

Trek_Girl42
November 2nd, 2006, 05:39 PM
William Adama's father was named Joseph. It was engraved on the lighter he gives Lee before they destroy the Cylon mining base.
Joseph.....frak should have remembered that. *makes note to rewatch BSG to brush up on trivia* :P ;)

lostinspace
November 4th, 2006, 11:15 PM
It might be another year till we actually get Caprica (or any other BSG spinoff) on screen, but since the first draft of scripts arrived at the SCI FI network last week, I thought it'd be fun to get some discussion / speculation going. For those who don't know, Caprica is the proposed name for a BSG prequel that's "a family drama and a political drama about corporations and politics. It's almost [more] like a sci-fi soap than it is an action-adventure series." According to Ron Moore, the story "centers around two families, one of whom owns an enormous corporation, ala Microsoft, and it builds the first Cylons; then the other family is Adama's father, who's a lawyer at the time and starts to become an opponent of what they're trying to do."

More details are at http://www.nypost.com/seven/10302006/tv/the_ring_cyclon_tv_don_kaplan.htm.

Previously from http://www.scifi.com/sfw/interviews/sfw13789.html
How will Caprica differ from Battlestar?
Moore: Caprica is set 50 years before Battlestar Galactica. It's the story of the creation of the Cylons. And it's a very different format than Galactica. It's not a war show; it's not even a space show or an action-adventure show. It's a family drama and a political drama about corporations and politics. It's almost [more] like a sci-fi soap than it is an action-adventure series. And again, we're trying to do something different within the genre and give a different flavor to the material than Battlestar Galactica does. [The story] centers around two families, one of whom owns an enormous corporation, ala Microsoft, and it builds the first Cylons; then the other family is Adama's father, who's a lawyer at the time and starts to become an opponent of what they're trying to do.

Doing a prequel concurrent with the original series is unheard of. What made you decide to go this route?
Moore: David [Eick] and I have been kicking around ideas for a spinoff for a while. We talked about all the different possibilities. Do another Battlestar, do the first Cylon war, etc. We started talking about a prequel as a concept, as something that we were interested in, but we hadn't really worked out a storyline. We'd had a couple of preliminary talks with the studio and the network about it. And then separately, Remi Aubuchon came in to the studio to pitch a series of his own that had a lot of similar themes and a lot of similar ideas to what we were considering for Galactica. So the studio called us and said, "Why don't the three of you get in a room and see if there's something there?" So we sat down, and we all got along really well, and the idea started to really come together.
While having Stargate: SG-1 and Atlantis concurrently was a success, it definitely caused some strain on TPTB to produce quality, consistent episodes for both shows week after week. What do people think? Can BSG pull this off? What will or should its spinoff be about?

Admiral Mappalazarou
November 4th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I like Caprica.

/\NUBIS
November 5th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Well sounds interesting...
But a prequel about the first cylon war would also be very nice... Don't you think?

Agent_Dark
November 5th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Well sounds interesting...
But a prequel about the first cylon war would also be very nice... Don't you think?

dude..... shrink your sig....

lostinspace
November 5th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Well sounds interesting... But a prequel about the first cylon war would also be very nice... Don't you think?
It would be nice - maybe they'll neatly tie in the end of Caprica to the beginning of the first Cylon war? I wouldn't be surprised though if TPTB had thought about this but decided that more space action at this time would be too similar to BSG, not to mention the challenge in coming up with suspense/stories with a known ending (see what happened to Star Wars?!)

the Fifth Race
November 5th, 2006, 05:06 AM
I started a thread titled Caprica discussion and apprecition thread awhile back, but it was combined with an existing thread titled the same. As I am sure this one will be as well.

lostinspace
November 5th, 2006, 05:21 AM
I started a thread titled Caprica discussion and apprecition thread awhile back, but it was combined with an existing thread titled the same. As I am sure this one will be as well.
Thanks, it's hard to keep track of these things! I actually did a search for "Caprica" and "spin-off" but didn't see anything like it. Ah well, we'll let the mods figure this out--!

Pharaoh Atem
March 22nd, 2007, 04:33 AM

that's what i would like to know if there are still htining about making it at all.

Kick-Kinsey
June 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM

Last I heard, this show is a no go.
The ratings for the original series have been too poor to support a spin-off series.

Kezia
July 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Time for this thread to rise from the ashes :D

Reposted from another thread:

I love the fifties-ish look that they're going for. Yay for hats! :D

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Trek_Girl42/Caprica/000w9ayq.jpg

Must say I am very looking forward to this.

Trek_Girl42
July 13th, 2008, 12:55 PM
More pics courtesy of the 13th Colony (http://13thcolony.wordpress.com/)!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Trek_Girl42/Caprica/saplace.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Trek_Girl42/Caprica/capgem.jpg

Sounds yummy! :D

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Trek_Girl42/Caprica/capricalogo.jpg

Sweet logo- text looks very Alias, though the article said that this logo probably isn't final.

kharn the betrayer
July 13th, 2008, 01:21 PM
interesting they are going for a 50's look

this show will hopefully be another reason for me to keep my tv outside of playing video games~

Trek_Girl42
July 13th, 2008, 07:13 PM
According to The Watcher, SCI-FI have ordered two more scripts for Caprica! Excellent. :D

More details here (http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2008/07/caprica-dispatc.html). Also it sounds like there will only be one BSG tv movie for now.

kharn the betrayer
July 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
oh my it might air this fall thats sooner than I expected! and if its any good will help ease the pain of the lack of BSG till next year~

DOIKECARTER
July 15th, 2008, 05:45 AM
oh my it might air this fall thats sooner than I expected! and if its any good will help ease the pain of the lack of BSG till next year~
itīs scheduled for december.

check this site for updates!

http://capricatv.blogspot.com/

morjana
July 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
From TV Squad's Twitter (http://twitter.com/tvsquad) site:

2-hr backdoor pilot for Caprica, then will decide on series based on response to that.

From TCA: There are no plans to flash-forward or include any current BSG into Caprica, as the 2 shows are so different.

X-3-0-2
July 21st, 2008, 10:01 AM

more soap opera :(

exterminate the shippers!!

g.o.d
July 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM
promos

www.bsg.cz/galerie/promos/c100/hi_epc100_001.jpg

http://www.bsg.cz/galerie/promos/c100/hi_epc100_002.jpg

http://www.bsg.cz/galerie/promos/c100/hi_epc100_003.jpg

Img tags snipped because the photos are just waayyy too huge.

g.o.d
July 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM
more soap opera :(

exterminate the shippers!!

I'm getting sick of another show about super-heroes looking for another magical superweapon, so I'm very happy this will be different show.

Trek_Girl42
July 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM
*squeals* Yay for high res promos! Thanks for posting! :D

Trek_Girl42
July 21st, 2008, 12:37 PM
Article (http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/Caprica-Battlestar-Galactica/800043570) from tvguide. "The end of humanity has a beginning" seems to be the tag line.

s09119
July 21st, 2008, 02:14 PM
Honestly, I'm dreading this thanks to the 50s look... soooo cheasey...

X-3-0-2
July 21st, 2008, 03:19 PM
Skiffy supports a show like this but they cancell SG1, Farscape and Dresden

BSG suicide bombers again !?

What is Carprica doing and why is Moore so obsessed with Islamic culture ?

Trek_Girl42
July 21st, 2008, 03:21 PM
:weiranime20:

Kezia
July 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM
:mckay:

Trek_Girl42
July 21st, 2008, 04:10 PM
Moving on from that little interruption, OMG PREVIEW (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2008/07/tca-caprica-the.html)!!!!!

morjana
July 21st, 2008, 10:41 PM
From SciFi.com, Caprica (http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=277985) Trailer

kharn the betrayer
July 21st, 2008, 11:35 PM

YAY just what i need to cheer me up and keep my mind off the damn thunderstorm im getting

Kezia
July 22nd, 2008, 06:34 AM
Moving on from that little interruption, OMG PREVIEW (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2008/07/tca-caprica-the.html)!!!!!

COOL thanks!

g.o.d
July 22nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
amazing!!!

s09119
July 22nd, 2008, 09:42 AM
amazing!!!

Hmmm that certainly made it look interesting. Although I wonder if we'll see any of the Colonial fleet... while I like the lack of complete space-based stuff, I want to see some evidence of the times. The Colonials must be pretty advanced even then, as in ninety years they'll have the Battlestars and FTL travel...

Trek_Girl42
July 22nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Hmmm that certainly made it look interesting. Although I wonder if we'll see any of the Colonial fleet... while I like the lack of complete space-based stuff, I want to see some evidence of the times. The Colonials must be pretty advanced even then, as in ninety years they'll have the Battlestars and FTL travel...In ten years. This series is set nine or ten years before the first cylon war, at which point the Galactica exists. :)

If I'm getting the timeline right (and I might be wrong, it does all seem a little sketchy at this point), this series is set 51 years before the attack on the colonies, the cylon war ended fourty years before the attack on the colonies (roughly 44 years before the current point season four), we don't know how long the cylon war lasted right? But it couldn't have been much more than a year or two at the most, given that you'd think that it would take eight or nine years between the invention of the first cylon and the start of a war.

I would love to see some shots of the Galactica being built in this series. That's kind of my only wishlist item. But I don't want to see constant nods or references to BSG, or any really that aren't important, and that sounds like it will be the case. If it got too self-referential that would kill it.

Trek_Girl42
July 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
"He's a lot like Bill Gates... only richer."

An Eric Stoltz interview (http://io9.com/5027958/capricas-eric-stoltz-talks-to-io9-about-meeting-the-first-cylons) at io9.

DOIKECARTER
July 30th, 2008, 09:52 AM
In ten years. This series is set nine or ten years before the first cylon war, at which point the Galactica exists. :)

If I'm getting the timeline right (and I might be wrong, it does all seem a little sketchy at this point), this series is set 51 years before the attack on the colonies, the cylon war ended fourty years before the attack on the colonies (roughly 44 years before the current point season four), we don't know how long the cylon war lasted right? But it couldn't have been much more than a year or two at the most, given that you'd think that it would take eight or nine years between the invention of the first cylon and the start of a war.

I would love to see some shots of the Galactica being built in this series. That's kind of my only wishlist item. But I don't want to see constant nods or references to BSG, or any really that aren't important, and that sounds like it will be the case. If it got too self-referential that would kill it.
I thought the same thing about the timeline. All Cylon evolution has happened during Bill Adamaīs lifetime, and his firs Viper mission was just before the Armistice. Besides, letīs remember Battlestars were created "looking at the past" to avoid Cylon infiltration....we should expect (even thought they never make it in to any screen) computers and ships better than the Galactica we know (and love).

Iīd love to see (just for a sec) a toddler Laura Roslin at some point. Just a glimpse of her....or hor her young and lovely mom (and teacher too).

Professional pyramid game......I know itīs stupid, there is absolutely no reason for it, just for our fun and to remember this is not a different place. This is Caprica, but itīs Battlestar Galactica universe too.

The promo looks dark and promising enough for me and I think itīs a wise decision to make a totally different show instead of recycling the same formula. Itīs a rich, broad universe, still unexplored. We should be able to watch how Cylons were created by a man, when and how they rebelled, whether other Colonies suffered because of Caprican Cylons first and finally how first Cylon War began

"All of this has happened before......"

http://hq55.com/cap/second1/second1_123.jpg

Trek_Girl42
July 30th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I thought the same thing about the timeline. All Cylon evolution has happened during Bill Adamaīs lifetime, and his firs Viper mission was just before the Armistice. Besides, letīs remember Battlestars were created "looking at the past" to avoid Cylon infiltration....we should expect (even thought they never make it in to any screen) computers and ships better than the Galactica we know (and love).

Iīd love to see (just for a sec) a toddle Laura Roslin at some point. Just a glimpse of her....or hor her young and lovely mom (and teacher too).

Professional pyramid game......I know itīs stupid, there is absolutely no reason for it, just for our fun and to remember this is not a different place. This is Caprica.

The promo looks dark and promising enough for meAwwww, I want to see little girl Laura as well (she's be what? If Bill is about ten or eleven she'd be about four or five? based on the difference Mary and Eddie's ages). We probably won't, I think RDM said they won't be doing things like that, but *sigh* it would be so cute! And then we could all say: "what happened?" j/k :P

And I want to see a pyramid game as well. :)

DOIKECARTER
July 30th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Awwww, I want to see little girl Laura as well (she's be what? If Bill is about ten or eleven she'd be about four or five? based on the difference Mary and Eddie's ages). We probably won't, I think RDM said they won't be doing things like that, but *sigh* it would be so cute! And then we could all say: "what happened?" j/k :P

And I want to see a pyramid game as well. :)
A cameo of a toddler or little girl wouldnīt break any storyline and even Caprica is a big planet we are still talking about Caprica City, and Lauraīs mom was a teacher. I guess it will only happen in fanfiction. But a Pyramid game on a TV screen....come on! It should be as football/soccer is in Europe.....ever present. I want to feel Caprica as a bit familiar.

s72450
August 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I was under the assumption that the series took place 51 years prior to the first Cylon war, but I guess that wouldn't work considering Adama isn't 90 years old.

I wonde if we'll see the Galactica being built, it would be a cute little cameo to have someone watching the news and it flashes to them building a battlestar or something.

Pharaoh Atem
September 1st, 2008, 08:34 AM
"the destruction of humanity has a beginning"

brilliant tag line

and "our family name isn't adams it's adama :D

DOIKECARTER
September 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Sky One will air Caprica pilot in November.

I canīt wait

Pharaoh Atem
March 18th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Zoe had a turbulent start to the series. Where does her journey take her as the season progresses?
"She struggles to figure out if she can get out of the robot body and leave Caprica. She's the Zoe avatar so she's not the original. What's her place in the universe? What can she do? Where can she go? She certainly feels like a person, so what's the difference? She's gonna face struggles and self-discovery."

Daniel and Amanda have grown apart in recent episodes. Will they ever be able to put the past behind them?
"It's been a difficult time - they've gone through a really traumatic event. We'll see that continue a bit more for them. I don't wanna give it away, but Amanda's dangers are not over."

Is it likely we'll see Daniel and Joseph becoming friends?
"All I'll say is that their storylines will start to intersect quite soon."

What can we expect from the season finale?
"A cliffhanger - multiple cliffhangers! We've just started general discussions for a second season, but we don't know if we're getting renewed yet. We know where certain stories would take us. I'm hopeful that we'll get picked up - I'm feeling good!"

http://www.digitalspy.com/ustv/interviews/a209375/ronald-d-moore-caprica.html

stuff to look forward too