This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why did the 9th doctor leave?

why did the 9th doctor leave, i mean did he leave because they wrote him to change or because of something else? i haven't seen the 10th doctor yet but the 9th was so good.

Well, that seems to be the million Dollar question. Depending on who you ask you seem to get a different story. Eccleston doesn't seem to be talking much about it, the BBC is more interested in the continuation of the franchise to care.

Rumors have had it be; money, Eccleston not wanting to be type-cast, money, workload, money, Eccleston wanting to do something different, and of course money.

I enjoy watching british TV, but I am not aware on how the actor's do business. I am probably the last one to know how to think. However, as a guy who used to follow this waaaaaaay to closly (even doing it for a living for a brief time) my gut tells me that it comes down to money. A wise man once said "every man has his price..." and experience tells me that everything comes down to tha all-mighty-dollar...or Pound...or Euro...or....well....whatever....you get the idea.

Let's put it this way; if the BBC really, really, REALLY wanted him to stay he probably would still be there. An offer would be made and he would still be making more episodes.

But don't worry, David Tennent is a wonderful Doctor! In fact, when I sat down and wtached the whole first season, Eccleston was starting to grow on me. Then I saw him on the last episode where I realized he was just a whinny little wussy. There is not doubt in my mind that if he ever had met the Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, T. Baker, Davison, C. Baker, McCoy and probably McCann Doctors, that they would so ***** slap him till he regenerated.

I know I am in the minority thinking this around here and Eccleston is the first Doctor for so many people who would have otherwise never heard of Doctor Who, and people usually think the first Doctor they see is the best. But he was, to me, the weakest of the bunch.
    Last edited by Darkseid; 25 April 2006, 10:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
    My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
    Build a Dalek
    Build a TARDIS
    Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
    The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

Originally posted by cat_m_parker
      why did the 9th doctor leave, i mean did he leave because they wrote him to change or because of something else? i haven't seen the 10th doctor yet but the 9th was so good.
      We have already discussed this

here

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26824

and a little in here.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=19309

Comment

thanks for the info. hopefully the cbc will start airing the tenth doctor "doctor who" soon so i can watch.

Comment

Originally posted by cat_m_parker
          thanks for the info. hopefully the cbc will start airing the tenth doctor "doctor who" soon so i can watch.
          I think CBC is supposed to start airing it in Sept/Oct, along with the rest of fall shows.
          Thanks!
          Jordan

my page
          My LJ
          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

It makes new fans like me a bit worried that Eccleston is not staying. I never saw Doctor Who prior to it starting on SciFi a few weeks ago. But it's grown on me mainly because of the characters. So at this point I may not like Doctor Who so much as I like the Ninth Doctor. I guess I'll find out how much I really like the show when SciFi decides to start playing old reruns on S28.

Comment

David Tennant > Chris Eccleston anyway. That northerner accent was annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                It makes new fans like me a bit worried that Eccleston is not staying. I never saw Doctor Who prior to it starting on SciFi a few weeks ago. But it's grown on me mainly because of the characters. So at this point I may not like Doctor Who so much as I like the Ninth Doctor. I guess I'll find out how much I really like the show when SciFi decides to start playing old reruns on S28.
                you shouldnt really worry, almost every fan gets this when their first Doctor regenerates (Logopolis was a make or break for me, and I was born about 6 years after it aired ) but its not very often that people dont like the new Doctor's, the character never really changes, its just tweaked by the actor playing him.
                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Working...
                X