PDA

View Full Version : No offense but...

Goa'uldens Mustard
April 25th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Is it me or is this Horizon idea really dumb? Not the idea of creating a fan-based storyline and all, but the "actors" chosen for the cast, like Ben Browder and Keifer. Just my opinion, i think it's kinda lame.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 25th, 2006, 05:56 PM
The actors were chosen because the shows creators wanted to help people visualize the characters, because not everyone has fantastic imaginations like you do, or open minds.
Please, if you want to rant about Horizon, don't pick it apart at the most utterly worthless level. Read it, and then tell us what you think.

Wineblood
April 25th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Just imagine the actors chosen as the closest match to the Horizon characters. They're mainly there to let the audience visualise what our characters look like, not impose a famous name on a character.

Major Zoidberg
April 26th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Agreed it helps me visualise them :D

I think its great :cool:

lionel_pendergast_rocks
April 26th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I think sometimes the actors we cast (for me, its for SG: Destiny) help us with some of the characters. Since we've seen these characters on other shows, we know what they can do.

Major Zoidberg
April 26th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Great virtual cast on destiny :D

Elite Anubis Guard
April 26th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Meh, he's just one of those uber-negative fans that doesnt appricate stuff like this.

Major Zoidberg
April 26th, 2006, 11:22 AM
50,000 for his head on a plate :D

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 26th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Money is too difficult to transfer over the internet.

50000 greens for his head on a plate! :D

Major Zoidberg
April 26th, 2006, 12:23 PM
And another 10 if his head is free of bullet holes ;)

lionel_pendergast_rocks
April 26th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Hey hey hey, the guy just disapproves of one aspect of the show, dont die, folks :)

And I think the VC on destiny is great, too. :)

Goa'uldens Mustard
April 26th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Saying I am not a fan of the Stargate universe is like saying that a Trekkie can only be a fan if they attend conventions and wear the starfleet uniform to work. It is a neat concept but i just think it's uber-corny. I mean no one wants to read the episode, they want to SEE the episode. get my drift, homies?

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 26th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Yes, well, me and just about everyone else in these forums do want to read the episodes, as well as the about a thousand people that download each Horizon episode. Get my drift, homie?

SierraGulf1
April 26th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Hmmm, I haven't replied to this yet, so I think I'll throw in my two cents.

I'll start by saying you're a free man. What you do and think is your choice, but I'm most certainly going to argue my point here based on facts. :jack:

Is it me or is this Horizon idea really dumb? Not the idea of creating a fan-based storyline and all, but the "actors" chosen for the cast, like Ben Browder and Keifer. Just my opinion, i think it's kinda lame.

Horizon is more than an idea, it has currently successfully completed almost two seasons and I'd like to think it's going strong. Both Horizon and Stargate: Destiny are virtual series, which have been created for all kinds of series in the past. It isn't a new concept, and it's a good way to get things out there if you're in to this sort of things.

As with most virtual series, actors are chosen to help with visualization.

Saying I am not a fan of the Stargate universe is like saying that a Trekkie can only be a fan if they attend conventions and wear the starfleet uniform to work. It is a neat concept but i just think it's uber-corny. I mean no one wants to read the episode, they want to SEE the episode. get my drift, homies?

A lot of ideas can sound quite corny when little is known about them. A team of adventurers travelling through a wormhole to distant planets might sound a bit corner until ones sees it executed.

As for people preferring to see the episode as opposed to reading it, I would love it if Horizon could be aired on TV. Unfortunately, that's not a luxury many people have. People do read, and I hope enjoy, virtual series like Horizon, Destiny, Genesis, etc. As long as people enjoy reading them, they're worth making.

I guess what I'm trying to say it that really such an argument has little merit, saying that something "seems" corny. I would hope that people these days experience something before they criticize it so at least their argument has a bit of backing. However, your opinion is your opinion. Can't do anything about that.

Alex Rubit
April 26th, 2006, 08:57 PM

The number of episode downloads every week seems to indicate that some people out there do want to read the episodes. This might be hard to believe, but... reading can actually be fun.

I don't have much to say to this, because I simply don't see how anyone could even have an oppinion without even being familiar with the series and what it's about.

Carry on. :cameron:

Tiletron
April 27th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I get the guy's point, even I don't agree with it.

In an ideal world like it is with computer games, there are stories where all the characters are entirely new and are made up of people who've probably never even been in a recording studio in their life; unless of course they've won a competition or something. Fortunately, there are enough people out there who want to see some of their favourite actors chosen to play out roles for a series such as this, even if it never gets published as a proper show.

The point I'm trying to make is, there are people who will always love our work and those who will not. What's important, however, is that there are a majority who want Stargate: Horizon to continue, and we will as long as they want us to.

If he is not happy with the way we have structured our series, he can alway write his own Stargate show... but we will be keeping the cast we have already. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.

Major Zoidberg
April 27th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I personaly think its a great virtual cast :D

Horizons great..... :cool:

captainpash
April 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flame Wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Major Zoidberg
April 27th, 2006, 11:07 AM
The fandom has enough of those! I think their petty an pathetic an y'all need to frow up a little if you want one :(

sorry :o

Alex Rubit
April 27th, 2006, 08:59 PM
The point I'm trying to make is, there are people who will always love our work and those who will not. What's important, however, is that there are a majority who want Stargate: Horizon to continue, and we will as long as they want us to.

There's no doubt about that. We're not about to go anywhere. :cameron:

Alex Rubit
April 27th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I personaly think its a great virtual cast :D

I definitly agree. :jonas:

Major Zoidberg
April 27th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I hate to say this but becuase of horizon wouldn't it be greta to see keifer sutherland or denis haysber ton sg-1 or atlantis? ;)

Alex Rubit
April 27th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I hate to say this but becuase of horizon wouldn't it be greta to see keifer sutherland or denis haysber ton sg-1 or atlantis? ;)

I definitely agree with that as well. It would be fun to see any of the virtual cast appearing on SG-1 or Atlantis. Who knows, maybe that will happen one day? After all, we had Ben Browder first too. :cameron:

Major Zoidberg
April 27th, 2006, 09:30 PM
LOL i forgot about him LOL oh darn my spellings terrible :o

I wouldn't mind seeing the virtual cast on any sci-fi show! :cool:

Alex Rubit
April 27th, 2006, 09:38 PM
LOL i forgot about him LOL oh darn my spellings terrible :o

I wouldn't mind seeing the virtual cast on any sci-fi show! :cool:

Me too. I love seeing them anywhere.

I'm still waiting for the day when those of them who haven't been on 24 yet, will appear there as well. Now, that would be fun. :cameron:

Major Zoidberg
April 27th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Not sure about ben browder on 24, Maybe a lunatic commado guy? ;)

Maybe andrew robinson :) hes a great actor :cool:

Alex Rubit
April 27th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Not sure about ben browder on 24, Maybe a lunatic commado guy? ;)

Who knows? :cameron:

24 always finds amazing roles for great actors. Or great actors for amazing roles. I guess either way works.

Maybe andrew robinson :) hes a great actor :cool:

Once again, I definitely agree. It would be fun to see what he'd bring to Lenori when playing the character.

Major Zoidberg
April 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Well one thing we do know season 6 of 24s gonna be all change :S

i loved Andrew robinson as garek, the sense of humour :cool: He's make a goohenderson like character or a polatician :)

Alex Rubit
April 27th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Well one thing we do know season 6 of 24s gonna be all change :S

I can't wait to see what will happen. I'm staying completely away from spoilers, so I have no clue.

i loved Andrew robinson as garek, the sense of humour :cool: He's make a goohenderson like character or a polatician :)

Yeah, the way Lenori is written is kind of modeled after how he talks.

Speaking of Henderson, adding Peter Weller to 24 is just one of many great casting choices on that show.

Major Zoidberg
April 27th, 2006, 10:03 PM
well having seen upto episode...19 ;) i think they're gonna have to find some new blood next year :S

Yea its the curiosity about human's very phloxx like as well. He thinks of humans as kind of experiment subjects? :) I love that :cool:

He was on enterprise to, hes a patriot an belives what hes doing is right. He cna play bbad guys very well! an hes in a slect group of actors there :)

Alex Rubit
April 27th, 2006, 10:10 PM
well having seen upto episode...19 ;) i think they're gonna have to find some new blood next year :S

It does seem that way.

Yea its the curiosity about human's very phloxx like as well. He thinks of humans as kind of experiment subjects? :) I love that :cool:

Lenori has the role of the alien character that looks at humanity from a bit of an outsider perspective. Those kind of characters are usually quite interesting in sci-fi.

He was on enterprise to, hes a patriot an belives what hes doing is right. He cna play bbad guys very well! an hes in a slect group of actors there :)

I have a feeling Manny Coto had something to do with that. Wherever Manny is, you'll soon also find Peter Weller (Odyssey 5, Enterprise, 24). ;)

Major Zoidberg
April 27th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Lenori has the role of the alien character that looks at humanity from a bit of an outsider perspective. Those kind of characters are usually quite interesting in sci-fi.

Thats what i was trying to say headesk, i find it funny :)

I have a feeling Manny Coto had something to do with that. Wherever Manny is, you'll soon also find Peter Weller (Odyssey 5, Enterprise, 24). ;)

What ever did happen to odessey 5? :o

Alex Rubit
April 27th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Thats what i was trying to say headesk, i find it funny :)

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant. ;)

What ever did happen to odessey 5? :o

It's one of those shows that were cancelled after only one season. I've actually never seen too much of it, but I've heard it was really good. I also heard it will be coming out on DVD soon.

SierraGulf1
April 28th, 2006, 07:40 PM
24 has lots of great actors, which is porbably why so many are cast as characters on Horizon as well.

There's Kiefer Sutherland (John Grant), Dennis Haysbert (De'van Callen), Carlos Bernard (David Connor), Philip Rhys (Yusuf Naiyeer), Jude Ciccolella (Ca'vel), Roger Cross (Gorlon), Daniel Dae Kim (Hikaru Sato), William Devane (Henry Hayes), and Gregory Itzin (Kalos).

Of course, Devane was pre-established as president by SG-1, he just happens to be on both shows. Of course, there are actors from a wide range of shows, 24 just happens to house plenty.

lionel_pendergast_rocks
April 28th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I think we at SGD, though, stole the best leading actress :)

I admit, Kiefer Sutherland is amazing, as is Dennis, but Evangeline Lilly (from Lost) I think is perfect for the kind of things Stargat deals with

Elite Anubis Guard
April 29th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Plus, shes hot.

Major Zoidberg
April 29th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Damn right :D

Wineblood
April 29th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Not really, but it all depends on one's taste.

captainpash
April 29th, 2006, 01:17 PM
^ Into guys

Nah, I am just kidding, but yeah that chick is smokig. Though the dude cast as takeshi is old....

BC - 303
April 29th, 2006, 01:33 PM
personaly, i didnt like the visual cast, and its justs sticking famous people on fictional charactors, but then i just decided to ignore the things i dont like, and i found i really enjoy Horizons. im reading episode 1:05 tommorow.

I hate negitive fans, so i didnt word my complaints and gave the series a chance, and found that i liked it.

I just look at Horizons Visual cast, and i think of Jack for 24 and Mitchell. But it does help people visualise, so im fine with that. Me personaly, i like to visualise by seeing consept art of bad guys and ships, lots of ships!!

Alex Rubit
April 29th, 2006, 03:13 PM
personaly, i didnt like the visual cast, and its justs sticking famous people on fictional charactors, but then i just decided to ignore the things i dont like, and i found i really enjoy Horizons. im reading episode 1:05 tommorow.

That's not the idea behind it. The idea is to treat it as if it were a television show. Plus, each of these actors have been on television at one point or another. It would have been completely unrealistic if we had gone and cast the series with a hand full of big movie stars, who you could never afford for a television show.

They all need to be known from another show or movie they've been in, for the simple reason that we don't have the luxury of having hundreds or thousands of actors auditioning for roles. So it's impossible for us to choose a completely fresh face for one of the characters.

To me, this is the closest you can get to doing a TV show without doing a TV show. That's the primary factor for me when someone were to ask me why am I doing this. So actors are part of the process.

I just look at Horizons Visual cast, and i think of Jack for 24 and Mitchell.

I've never been a supporter of type-casting. These guys' acting skills are good enough to let them play other characters. ;)

Major Zoidberg
April 29th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I have a feeling keifer sutherland is gonna get type cast for life after 24 ;)

I think the virtual cast is great, its realistic for a TV show :) and you know them (most) from other roles :cool:

BC - 303
April 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM
im beginging to accept the idea of visual casts.
like i said, to me, the ships and tech consept art matters more then the visual cast. but im beginning to understand.

Elles
April 29th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I have a feeling keifer sutherland is gonna get type cast for life after 24 ;)

I think the virtual cast is great, its realistic for a TV show :) and you know them (most) from other roles :cool:

I completely agree. I do like the virtual cast idea in a way... it seemed a bit odd at first why a virtual TV show would have a virtual cast, but then I think it just made sense. The only character I could attempt imagine was Christine for some reason, and my imaginary Christine was somehow a cross between Dr. Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation, and this kid I know at school. I know, really weird.

But every time I see Keifer Sutherland's face somewhere in a picture related to Stargate Horizon, I go wacko in some way or another because I'm so used to seeing him on 24 and not... Stargate stuff. Somehow it confuses me to the point of saying aloud "WTF?" And then after the initial reaction I go... "Oh..." even though I'm still confused. And then after a few more minutes I figure it out, untilt he same thing happens again a few days later. I know, really weird.

SierraGulf1
April 30th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Kiefer Sutherland can take a while to get used to. Whereas most actors are less known and/or appear on fewer things, Kiefer isn't really known for his many roles... Just one.