This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

puzzled about merlin

just finished watching season 9. and a few things i can't work out.

is merlin (a) a descended ancient or (b) a human far along the path to ascension?

if he is a descended ancient then how did he overcome the the problem of retaining the vast knowledge of the ancients in a human mind.

and if he is a human far along the evolutionary path then how did he know about the ori to build the "holy grail weapon" that is supposed to neutralise them.

he was / is an anchient.

I dunno how he retained his knowledge, but I guess all the Anchients know about the Ori, or at least the original ones (not the humans that ascended afterwards).
    Free Jaffa

Comment

Merlin was an ancient. In the spoilers for the upcoming s10 episode "Pegasus Project"
      Spoiler:
      it is revealed that Merlin was one of the Lanteans that left Atlantis and went to Earth.

He must have found a way of de-ascending without the others knowing, thus able to come back as an ancient with ancient knowledge.

Comment

Perhaps he didn't descend at all but simply took human form, working in another dimension to hide his work from the other ascended beings.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

im not sure but wouldnt he have to deascend to take human form. but i suppose Anibus didnt, well he was kind of half-n-half, im kind of confused now.

Comment

What I mean is, the first time Orlin and Sam met, he allowed himself to be seen by her in human form without descending. The form may not have been a real one but it would allow him to interact. Shifu also took human form (I think) without descending completely. And in Atlantis, Chaya did so as well.
            Last edited by MarshAngel; 28 April 2006, 11:42 AM.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Hopefully we will learn more about exactly what Merlin did this season. Maybe he didn't fully descend.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

He might not have acended right away. Just because he was an Ancient doesn't mean he acended when all the others did, or that there was some mass ancient acension party.
                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Merlin was a scientist and an Ancient. The knowledge of the Ancient Library is for the mind of and Ancient. Therefor Merlins Ancended body could handle all that knowledge. When he went through the gate back to Earth and then Ascended did he finally learn all there is to know about the Ori that he has heard about he intire life through stories and legend. He got bent and found away to go back and try and stop them. If he only uses what he knew before he Ascended and build from that like Anubis then he won't be noticed. Just has long as he does his work in a cloaked invornment.
                  *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                  *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                  *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                  *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                  *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                  *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                  *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

IT's been said that Merlin is Moros, the ancient that forbade Janus from playing with the time machine... which is odd... that he would defy the lantiens and build an anti-ori weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko
                      IT's been said that Merlin is Moros, the ancient that forbade Janus from playing with the time machine... which is odd... that he would defy the lantiens and build an anti-ori weapon.
                      It's odd but not too odd. Rational people change their minds when faced with new information. Perhaps he developed precognitive powers or he learned what would happen from someone else and decided doing nothing was not an option.

Messing with time isn't necessarily the same thing as building a weapon to destroy the Ori. For all we know alterations in the timeline could have been the very reason why things are the way they are now. He wasn't wrong about messing around with time... he was just a bit, vehement and ill-tempered which could easily have been a result of stress, or hunger.

Comment

Working...
                      X