This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K9 animated spinoff anounced

"He has been rusting in his kennel for too long," says today's Times. "Now K9 is taking centre-stage with his own £3 million animated series and a range of high-tech toys." In a rather unsurprising development to anyone who has followed the trail of rumors - first reported on Outpost Gallifrey, in fact, nearly two years ago - K9 will feature in a new animated spinoff series worked on by one of his creators, Bob Baker, and made by Jetix Europe. "Doctor Who's faithful robotic assistant, who will be reunited with his master on Saturday in a special guest appearance on the revived BBC show, will become a star in his own right -- equipped with a lethal blaster -- in a computergenerated series made in partnership with the Walt Disney Corporation. K9 Adventures will be a 26-episode comedy-fantasy series set in outer space.
    Full article here

I find this to be good news.

I like the idea that Doctor Who is so broad that you can have a childerens show and a more mature show.

To be honest, I am surprised they haven't done it sooner, with all the potential merchindising...
    My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
    Build a Dalek
    Build a TARDIS
    Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
    The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

Cool this sound like it will be impressive
      Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

That is a really bad idea, it will be one of those cheap and nasty Disney fraking stupid thing passing it's self off as a cartoon when all it is doing is trying to off load merchandise... *I hate Disney*

Comment

This is awful. K-9 shouldnt be animated like that. IF they want a proper spin off let him be the way he is !!!
          Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Doctor Who returns to our screens and what do we get, spinoffs appearing everywhere!

Comment

I can't say that I hold out much hope for this. My kids adore DW (watched classic DW before the latest) but this really isn't going to float their boat at all. Not unless they're going for a really young audience. I was hoping that maybe they would have gone with a non-animated show. Kids nowadays don't dig animated shows like they used to. And judging by the Jetix made show I saw (Cubix) it was awful.

Comment

Really should either be an ongoing character on DW or a proper live action show.

I like animation but this doesn't sound promising. Or engaging.
                Thanks!
                Jordan

my page
                My LJ
                From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
                  Doctor Who returns to our screens and what do we get, spinoffs appearing everywhere!

Of course, merchindise! It's easier to push this way. BBC is just following the model made by American companies like Paramount with their Star Trek franchise.

Personally, I think everyone should give the show a chance. It could suck, it could be kinda cool. Either way, all we have heard is an announcement and seen one picture. Let's wait until we actually see something of substance before we hate it.....

Build a Dalek
                  Build a TARDIS
                  Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
                  The Police Box Website

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseid
                    Of course, merchindise! It's easier to push this way. BBC is just following the model made by American companies like Paramount with their Star Trek franchise.

Personally, I think everyone should give the show a chance. It could suck, it could be kinda cool. Either way, all we have heard is an announcement and seen one picture. Let's wait until we actually see something of substance before we hate it.....
                    Yeah but that pic remninded me so mich of Jetix's Cubix...I honestly feel that if DW/K9 gets that treatment it'll fall flat on it's face.

I'm all for merchandising the brand to death...hey I've got kids and they are a major target for the corp. I don't mind it, solves the annual dilemmas of what to get them for birthdays/christmas's. What I don't get is how they can ruin the chance that they've got with K9 (don't get me wrong here I hate that mutt) by going animation rather than real-life. I'm not against spin-offs just crap spin-offs. I really believe that a real-life spin-off would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
                      Yeah but that pic remninded me so mich of Jetix's Cubix...I honestly feel that if DW/K9 gets that treatment it'll fall flat on it's face.

I'm all for merchandising the brand to death...hey I've got kids and they are a major target for the corp. I don't mind it, solves the annual dilemmas of what to get them for birthdays/christmas's. What I don't get is how they can ruin the chance that they've got with K9 (don't get me wrong here I hate that mutt) by going animation rather than real-life. I'm not against spin-offs just crap spin-offs. I really believe that a real-life spin-off would be better.

I know, I know. I agree with you on most points (although I don't think I have ever seen "Cubix". In fact, I don't think I have heard of it.

I would prefer to see a live-action show too. But, animation is a lot cheaper then paying a bunch of union guys to sit around waiting for the lighting guy to get everything right....

Either way, I am going to reserve judgement until I actually see something.

BTW -- I fall into the "Like K-9" camp. Although, I think they could have found better ways to use him....

Build a Dalek
                      Build a TARDIS
                      The Police Box Website

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseid

True, but too much could kill it...

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
                          True, but too much could kill it...

Totally. Paramount shoved so much crappy Star Trek down everyones throught that the last movie made hardly any money in the theaters and the last TV show they made stunk up the ratings (of course, they both stunk up the joint as far as stories were concerned...)

Build a Dalek
                          Build a TARDIS
                          The Police Box Website

Comment

The other advantage of having a CGI show is that K9 CAn actually be used as more than just a bloody remote control dog who is loud, slow and whines about having "insufficient data". This way he can actually kick ass in the way that R2D2 did in Episode 3.

However, the manner in which they do a CGI show is important. I saw cubix. It was awful. They need CGI that looks more real tbh.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I think it would be best to wait and see...

Comment

Working...
                              X