• Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi Plans Online Encyclopedia

From Broadcasting and Cable:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=Breaking+News

Sci Fi Plans Online Encyclopedia

By Anne Becker -- Broadcasting & Cable, 4/23/2006 11:47:00 PM

In an effort to increase online ad revenue, NBC Universal’s Sci Fi Channel this week is launching Scifipedia, a user-generated online encyclopedia of science-fiction facts, definitions and terminology. Located on the SciFi.com homepage, the site will begin with 1,000 starter entries, which fans can add to or change. Hardcore fans of the network’s programs, for example, can elaborate upon episode reviews with minute details.

“It gives our viewers a place to vent their enthusiasm,” says Craig Engler, senior VP of SciFi.com and Sci Fi magazine. “We have viewers who often know more about our shows than we do.” As part of its upfront negotiations, Sci Fi is pitching Scifipedia to advertisers in movies and gaming, two categories popular on its TV channel.

The network also recently launched a tech blog and revamped its online magazine

© 2006 Reed Business Information

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

As ideas go, this is one of their best.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

So.... it's like a Sci-Fi Wikipedia.

Cool.

Comment

It's about time, and yes it is like a Sci-Fi Wiki which should mean that it's good, but don't quote me on that

Comment

Good idea, not original, as it is almost a direct copy of Wiki. As long as there's people behind the scenes constantly verifiying any inconsistency in the information added by fans. But hey, any extra source of sci-fi information can only be a good thing.
          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
            As long as there's people behind the scenes constantly verifiying any inconsistency in the information added by fans. But hey, any extra source of sci-fi information can only be a good thing.
            I couldn't have said it any better myself.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

And the SciFiPedia is now online at:

http://scifipedia.scifi.com/index.php/Main_Page

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
              SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
              Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

So useful.

I'm looking forward to seeing them really build this out over the course of the next couple of months.

Comment

Working...
                X