This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with avatars

I want to be able to upload avatars from my computer but I dont see an option to do so on Gateworld forums. What do I do to get this to work?
    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

You can't upload a personalized avatar on GW up until you have like a gazillion posts. So you must make do with one of the choices they give you, although they have nice avvys here, and saves you the trouble.
    If you need more specific info read the FAQ, search for avatars, they explain everything there.

Comment

you need to reach 2000+ posts before you can do that

here's shadowmaats xtreme guide to gateworld
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=18320
      Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; 22 April 2006, 01:56 PM.
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

2000 now, thats out dated, Darren changed the rules a while back
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Don't you now need 2000 posts instead of 1801 ?

edit: ah ptah beat me first
          Lord Zedd

Comment

Yeah, why is it that high anyway? What's the whole purpose? Cause I don't quite understand what the harm of having your own avatar up would be.

Is there someone who can explain me that? I already went searching for the answer myself but couldn't find it.

So, I just want to know the reason why you can't have your own personal avatar, but only after having a 2000-postcount?

Thank you up front...

Edit: I just checked ShadowMaat's guide and this is not the answer I'm looking for...

Q: How come I can't have a unique avatar NOW??
            Having it separated into levels is a way of showing appreciation to long-term posters and it's to encourage people to stick around.

That's like asking 'why', and the answer being 'because'.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Personally, I think it's fair to be set at a certain post-count. I would say that getting a custom AV is a reward for those members who have been regular contributers to the forum. And yes, it can be abused by members who choose to spam their way to a custom avatar.

*edit* Well the big WHY is bandwidth. We as members don't pay for it (currently), it's Darren AFAIK.

I'm only just over the 1000 post mark, so it'll be a while before I get the option for a custom AV. But it'll be worth the wait imo.
              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                Personally, I think it's fair to be set at a certain post-count. I would say that getting a custom AV is a reward for those members who have been regular contributers to the forum. And yes, it can be abused by members who choose to spam their way to a custom avatar.
                Still, I think needing more than 2000 posts is taking it a little too far, IMHO.
                Spoiler:
                smells like power-hunger maniacs

*edit* Well the big WHY is bandwidth. We as members don't pay for it (currently), it's Darren AFAIK.
                I don't know much about how bandwidth works but isn't it true that when avatars are linked from another page it doesn't affect the bandwidth? (as I said I have not enough knowledge about these things so don't go biting off my head here for saying something that isn't correct)

And could someone please inform me what 'AFAIK' stands for?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
                  I don't know much about how bandwidth works but isn't it true that when avatars are linked from another page it doesn't affect the bandwidth? (as I said I have not enough knowledge about these things so don't go biting off my head here for saying something that isn't correct)
                  Avatars are directly linked from GateWorld's servers, so every time a member (and random guests) view the forum, the avatar is downloaded into their browser, using a little bandwidth each time. Avatars are a certain size so that they don't use up say, for example, the monthly usage allowance for the forum. It's your signature that must be hosted on another server, as your sig pic's file size is much larger.

And could someone please inform me what 'AFAIK' stands for?
                  My apologies for using Internet shorthand. AFAIK means "as far as I know."

At the end of the day, fair or not fair, it's up to the site owner to make the rules for custom AVs, etc...
                  "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
                    I think, shocking memory but I think the remote hosting feature is disabled you have to up-load from your computer instead. So GW bandwidth. I think, not a computer geek type so just guessing.

The more post count you have the more avatars are available and believe me when I joined there were even less available and on some forums you have to pay to get an avatar (extra features) so this isn't so bad, but of course I can say that now.

Comment

IMO we have a good variety, plenty to choose from, i've been on forums where you can use your custom avvy since day one, and i end up using the forum ones anyway, what can i say?, i'm lazy, lol.

Comment

Avatars are directly linked from GateWorld's servers, so every time a member (and random guests) view the forum, the avatar is downloaded into their browser, using a little bandwidth each time. Avatars are a certain size so that they don't use up say, for example, the monthly usage allowance for the forum. It's your signature that must be hosted on another server, as your sig pic's file size is much larger.
                        &

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                        I think, shocking memory but I think the remote hosting feature is disabled you have to up-load from your computer instead. So GW bandwidth. I think, not a computer geek type so just guessing.
                        Both of you thanks for taking the brief time to explain that to me. I still think it's not exactly fair but hey I got squad to say here and have to go by the rules. I'll be a humble servant to the powerful Goa'uld but remember my name cause one day... (and using someone else's famous words) I'll be back (though not exactly fitting for this situation)

My apologies for using Internet shorthand. AFAIK means "as far as I know."
                        Thanks. I learn new stuff every day...that's so much fun

And well, the avatars available here...haven't gone through them all...but as long as there Heightmeyer-ones, I'm a happy girl

Comment

um ive got 2000 posts but im still stuck on the sites Avatars !!!! why ?
                          Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

IIRC The option is only available to a set group of posters(2000+), you have to wait until Darren moves you to that group for the Custom avs to work. It took about 3 hours before I got the option. Dont worry though, it wont take too long.
                            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Ya know, supposedly I'm in avatar Tier 2, but I can't see anything 'extended' about the avatar-set.

Comment

Working...
                              X