PDA

View Full Version : Will we lose the zpm

Lord You
April 21st, 2006, 08:15 PM
After watching the SG-1 episode, Ripple Effect, I realized that the SGC will order the ZPM from Atlantis recalled back to Earth. In that episode, the mirror-universe team had to retrieve the ZPM from our universe to defend Earth after the Ori established a beachhead and invade. Now that has finally come to pass in our universe as well. Since the Ori threat is much more immediate than the Wraith, I expect the SGC will recall the ZPM. Weir and the rest of the Atlantis Expedition Team will object. But the appropriations committee will overrule them - being politicians of course. However, in the end I believe this is better for the series. Without a ZPM module, the team will have to be much more careful again. It helps to bring a sense of impending danger back to the show that was often missing in the second season.

NotAscended
April 21st, 2006, 09:25 PM
What a great idea, and I hope that TPTB go in that direction. S2 of Atlantis has felt a bit like just another stop on the Milky Way stargate system, and loss of the ZPM would force the Atlantis team to more actively seek out more ancient tech to power the city. However, with their stated desire to keep the two series seperate, it probably won't happen.

Happy_Gate
April 21st, 2006, 11:00 PM
Maybe Vala will "accidently" walk off with it when she and Daniel visit Atlantis...:D

Wonky Bob
April 21st, 2006, 11:45 PM
That will only happen if Atlantis get another ZPM. probably from the Nano Tech People. We know that all the major characters live and get away. We also know that the Nano Ancients can build ZPM's. would not be surprised if they are set free with either the Knowledge to build them or are given some on there escape.

If they are give the information to build them i would guess that they would need some minerial or something that they need to create them. this would limit them on how many they could make.

1 or 2 max.

A bit far fetch i know but still possible

BC - 303
April 22nd, 2006, 04:22 AM
it will be interesting to see the theme of season 3
Theme of season 1 was they were cut off, in a city without deffense, and terrible out numbered
Theme of season 2 was they were undercover, the wraith couldnt know they exist so had to be more stelthy.

Lord You
April 22nd, 2006, 04:34 PM
What a great idea, and I hope that TPTB go in that direction. S2 of Atlantis has felt a bit like just another stop on the Milky Way stargate system, and loss of the ZPM would force the Atlantis team to more actively seek out more ancient tech to power the city. However, with their stated desire to keep the two series seperate, it probably won't happen.

Thanks. Wouldn't recalling the ZPM would make the two shows more seperate? Right now there have been quite a few crossovers made possible in part due to the team's connection to Earth.

Lightbane
April 22nd, 2006, 11:05 PM
yeah recalling the ZPM would be a great call,

they would be needing it to power the daedaulus' hyperdrive to get back to earth, then they could plug in the ZPM into the Anicent Outpost in Antartica and blow up the wraith ships with it, then they figure out how to use the ZPM's energy to kill the Ori ( catastrophic overload maybe??) maybe like how they blew up Apophis fleet in the Vorash system, detonate the star,

the fifth man
April 22nd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Wouldn't recalling the ZPM would make the two shows more seperate? Right now there have been quite a few crossovers made possible in part due to the team's connection to Earth.

Indeed it would. And that would be an interesting situation for the Atlantis team to be put in once again. However, I don't see the ZPM being recalled this coming season.

FallenAngelII
April 23rd, 2006, 03:12 AM
I don't see why the Zpm shouldn't be recalled. After all, yes, the threat of the Ori is more imminent, but the only two things that ZPM can do in Atlantis is:

A) Dial out to Earth should they need to evacuate (but they've got the Daedalus for that). They should hide everyone on the Alpha, Beta and Gamma sites and then shuttle the Daedalus back and forth to Earth.
B) Cloak the shield again should the Wraith decide to swing by and check but if they do, they'll probably be more thourough than just look at the thing from space, so meh.
C) Maintain a shield that will be depleted within days (at most) should the Wraith launch an attack like in "The Siege". And they'll probably launch an even larger attack this time, hence depleting the shield much faster.

ZatNKitel
April 23rd, 2006, 03:21 AM
Yeah I think that with the dire situation in the MW galaxy, sending the ZPM (maybe the Daedalus too) back to Earth would make sense. Heck, we could use some puddle jumpers and drones too! I mean its really weighing the fate of EARTH's 6 billion humans and the governments that fund both stargate programs vs the few hundred people on the Atlantis expedition - I think the scales favor Earth just a bit. Doesnt mean it will happen on the show though...

Also, the threat of a large Wraith attack on Atlantis may be slightly diminished by the apparent fact that the Wraith are having a bit of trouble working together at all anymore- hence the new enemy in Atlantis.

AtlantisForever
April 23rd, 2006, 05:44 AM
recalling the zpm from atlantis would be the biggest mistake they could make as that if the wraith get the city they can send there whole fleet to MW it's a good idea but the atlantis exsperdion wouldnt let the zpm go if only thy had another to replace it with...

MarshAngel
April 23rd, 2006, 07:18 AM
recalling the zpm from atlantis would be the biggest mistake they could make as that if the wraith get the city they can send there whole fleet to MW it's a good idea but the atlantis exsperdion wouldnt let the zpm go if only thy had another to replace it with...

I don't think it would be a huge mistake. Atlantis may not have a choice. If the SGC is compromised then the only thing they'd have going for them would be their lonely ZPM anyway, which can defend them for perhaps a day. They'll lose any help, supplies and support from the Milky Way period. They'd also lose the Daedalus too. So right now the Ori presents a great threat to them as well, perhaps an even more immediate one.

The Wraith shouldn't be an immediate threat. Some have gotten what they want from Atlantis and show no more interest in it, the rest still don't know it's there yet and are busy fighting amongst themselves and with any luck will be busy for a little while.

What I don't like about this scenario is that it would give them another excuse for not exploring more of the city.
I don't see that the one ZPM is going to do much against the Ori right now.

What I do like about it is that the risk element is back without the easy outs, they'd be (hopefully) forced to come up with some real makeshift ideas, make better use of what they have and really think creatively.

I think it would work out really well for both shows if they couldn't use each other as convenient plot devices. ie. SG1 can't get any quick ideas from Atlantis' data transmissions. Atlantis can't get instant resupply from Earth. At least, that's the way it 'should' happen.

RobJones
April 23rd, 2006, 11:21 AM
hmmm im torn, do we send a ZPM back to earth, or the Orion? Choices choices

creed462
April 23rd, 2006, 11:36 AM
It might be better to send the Orion

stargateanubis14
April 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
One thing about sending the atlantian Z.P.M. to earth...
Would they send it through the gate, or via one of the earth vessels?

rarocks24
April 23rd, 2006, 05:31 PM
I personally don't think they should. We have no idea if the weapon in Antarctica will have any effect on the Ori whatsoever. Even if we did manage to defeat the Ori, if Atlantis get's raided by the Wraith, then we can expect to see the Wraith in the Milky Way as the bad guys to come following. Also, Earth isn't a big target at the moment (I mean, all they have is the Daedalus, the Jaffa are much more of a threat and have the forces to deliver their armies to fight the Ori armies.) Also, I think the Asgard will help Earth out, cuz I don't think Thor has forgotten about the Tau'ri helping out with the Replicators.

npattis
April 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Great idea, but don't see it happening with TPTB stating they want to keep the shows separate.

Wonky Bob
April 23rd, 2006, 11:18 PM
I don't see why the Zpm shouldn't be recalled. After all, yes, the threat of the Ori is more imminent, but the only two things that ZPM can do in Atlantis is:

A) Dial out to Earth should they need to evacuate (but they've got the Daedalus for that). They should hide everyone on the Alpha, Beta and Gamma sites and then shuttle the Daedalus back and forth to Earth.
B) Cloak the shield again should the Wraith decide to swing by and check but if they do, they'll probably be more thourough than just look at the thing from space, so meh.
C) Maintain a shield that will be depleted within days (at most) should the Wraith launch an attack like in "The Siege". And they'll probably launch an even larger attack this time, hence depleting the shield much faster.

Lets not forget about the control chair.

In the Tower they restocked themselves with drones. so even if the wraith came back i don't think it will be anywhere new a easy to attack the city.

mikeoftulsa
April 23rd, 2006, 11:28 PM
i dont see them removing the zpm due to the fact that there will be a new bad guy in the pegasus galaxay, and atlantis will need the zpm. btw, if i recall correctly the earth outpost is out of drones and would be useless even if it were powered w/ a zpm.

MiniHerc
April 24th, 2006, 12:22 AM
I remember back in lost city part 2 that the drones went through the ships to destroy them, they never exploded. When anubis' fleet was destroyed we saw thousands of drones still flying in space, my guess is that the drones would have come back to the outpost to stay until needed again if they didn't explode. As well if the outpost were powered somehow to defend earth from ori ships, having more drones would help, then again TPTB would make it so theres non anymore to draw the audience in more, so we would be captivated by what would happen to defend earth.

Merlin1701
April 24th, 2006, 12:42 AM
with the new baddies in the PG having vessels like Atlantis the ZPM is needed now most of all. In seige the chair was powered with the new generators.

FallenAngelII
April 24th, 2006, 01:53 AM

Again: That one ZPM won't hold for long. In "The Siege", Rodney said that with only 3 Hive ships and its fleet of smaller ships, the shield would only last for days/a day or two. Should they want to, the Wraith could send 10 Hive ships and the battle would be over in hours.

Lets not forget about the control chair.

In the Tower they restocked themselves with drones. so even if the wraith came back i don't think it will be anywhere new a easy to attack the city.

And? The Wraith will come in number. Destroy a few Hive ships, will you? We'll send 100 more.

Wonky Bob
April 24th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Again: That one ZPM won't hold for long. In "The Siege", Rodney said that with only 3 Hive ships and its fleet of smaller ships, the shield would only last for days/a day or two. Should they want to, the Wraith could send 10 Hive ships and the battle would be over in hours.

And? The Wraith will come in number. Destroy a few Hive ships, will you? We'll send 100 more.

I think you will find it was 10 Hive ships shoting at Atlantis and no 3.

Also there is not point of sending out fighters to atack Atlantis as it would be a waste of time.

Now that we have the Drones ( that have the abitlity to locate the part of the target that will cause the most distruction). I "it's good to be king" 1 Drone either disabled or distroyed a Goa'uld mother ship. with thousands of the drones i think that we have the ability to take out as many hive ships as need be.

One more small little correction to your last statement. You say that the wraith will send 100 Hive ships. did we not find out in season 1 that 1. there are only around 60 in the pegasus galaxy and 2. that we have distroyed a good 10. that leaves artound 50.

if your argument to this is that there maybe more in other galaxies lets not forget that they do not have hyperdrive tech to allow them to cross between galaxies so they could send for reinforcements but they would not get there for a number of years.

Rant over and thanks for reading

Teelie
April 24th, 2006, 03:24 AM
I didn't like Atlantis being cut off so completely from Earth so now that they have the equivalent of a passenger ship between galaxies and some limited communication, things look better.

Of course they shouldn't rely too much on that connection. Logically, they should have enough supplies and crew to run the city in the event that connection is severed again and they are unable to re-establish a link for several months or years.

With the Ori threat, I suspect we'll see either a lot more or a lot less travel between galaxies, depending on whether people are being evacuated from Earth (unlikely with the Wraith threat) or with the ships and personnel needed to fight the Ori (more likely).

Gen_J_O'Neill
April 24th, 2006, 04:40 AM
One thing about sending the atlantian Z.P.M. to earth...
Would they send it through the gate, or via one of the earth vessels?

They would have to send it via the daedalus as they have to use the zpm to open the wormwhole to earth and it cannot be sustained without it!

the earth outpost is out of drones and would be useless even if it were powered w/ a zpm.

yes, but im guessing that the SGC ordered some of the drones to be brought through the stargate and beck to earth so that the outpost could be restocked.

One more small little correction to your last statement. You say that the wraith will send 100 Hive ships. did we not find out in season 1 that 1. there are only around 60 in the pegasus galaxy and 2. that we have distroyed a good 10. that leaves artound 50.

if your argument to this is that there maybe more in other galaxies lets not forget that they do not have hyperdrive tech to allow them to cross between galaxies so they could send for reinforcements but they would not get there for a number of years.

Actually, it was stated that there were 60 hive ships in our region of the galaxy. So it is possible that there could be hundreds more in other parts of the Pegasus galaxy. Although i agree that it would take them ages to get to Atlantis.

This said, i think it would be better to fill the Orion with drones (if it has drone launchers) and use the zpm to boost its hyperdrive and shields, then
send it back to the MW. This way we wouldnt have to wait for the Ori to come to earth, we could take the fight to the Ori.

This would probly never happen but heres hoping.

PS. Sorry to pick by the way!

Wonky Bob
April 24th, 2006, 11:52 PM
They would have to send it via the daedalus as they have to use the zpm to open the wormwhole to earth and it cannot be sustained without it!

yes, but im guessing that the SGC ordered some of the drones to be brought through the stargate and beck to earth so that the outpost could be restocked.

Actually, it was stated that there were 60 hive ships in our region of the galaxy. So it is possible that there could be hundreds more in other parts of the Pegasus galaxy. Although i agree that it would take them ages to get to Atlantis.

This said, i think it would be better to fill the Orion with drones (if it has drone launchers) and use the zpm to boost its hyperdrive and shields, then
send it back to the MW. This way we wouldnt have to wait for the Ori to come to earth, we could take the fight to the Ori.

Valid point.

i do think though that even with the zpm the hyperdrive on the orion would not be fast enough. we could either take it to the MW in tow or bring the asgard over to fit new engines

Excellion_razor
May 1st, 2006, 11:10 AM

That is assuming that the Orion has the correct hyperspace generator to allow it to travel to the MW galaxy.

nemisis
May 1st, 2006, 12:07 PM
true

donniepw
May 1st, 2006, 12:30 PM
While it would make some very interesting story telling to have the Atlantis group cut off from the SGC by removing their ZPM there is one practical matter being over looked. In order to counter the technological advantage the Ori have the Milky Way needs more advanced technology as well. As it stands right now the greatest source of advanced technology is Atlantis. From that stand point I don't think they would want to cut themselves off from what may potentially be their best source of developing a defense against the Ori threat. Unless things get really desperate but somehow I doubt it will ever get that far.

zpm!!
May 2nd, 2006, 06:49 AM
they could just find me and plug me in. plug me in carter.

creed462
May 4th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Maybe they will find another, or they will be able to de bobytrap the one they got eariler.

IcyNeko
May 4th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Well, here are a few points to consider...

1. Do they have any drones left on Earth? O'Neill did fire thousands of them at Anubis... so most the drones are either destroyed, depleted, or lost in space. I'm not sure we have any to launch anytime soon.

2. The chair on Earth doesn't have a city shield. Even if it did, it wouldn't defend an entire planet.

3. Even though the threat from the Ori is very real in the MW, the Wraith fleets are even more of a threat. Currently, there are two wraith hive ships headed to the MW thanks to Atlantis (it seems that it's only them -- they didn't give the earth gate address to any other wraith)... but if we recalled the ZPM from Atlantis... the wraith could still earth's address through atlantis and send their entire fleet to Earth. That's a two-front battle that we're sure to lose.

4. We could always find ZPMs in the Milky Way. A lot of the galaxy hasn't been charted yet, and we've barely scratched the surface in terms of visiting Ancient stargate addresses not on the Abydos Cartouche.

Thunderbird 2
May 17th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Hi all,

Loosing the ZPM is an interesting idea, but as I see it (I could be wrong on a few things here, I haven’t seen all of season 1) it would not work for a couple of series internal reasons, as well as writing / plot points.

“Inside series” Practicality

Firstly from what we know of the Ori, very little seems to slow them down. In Crusade? We have the Asgard, Free Jaffa, Tokra, Lucian Alliance as well as the Odyssey and Korelev? Fighting four Ori ships and they are having a tough time against them. Knowing how advanced the Asgard are, I can’t see how one ZPM would really help.

In addition, Atlantis is effectively stuck on its own, and with Michael and his group of Wraith out there, Atlantis’s position is not a secure one. Earth cannot run the risk of the Wraith getting to the Milky Way Galaxy, on top of the Ori and whats left of the Go’Auld!

There is also the political question. Atlantis answers to the International Appropriations Committee, whereas the SGC is under the control of the US Airforce. And therefore the American Government. Would they want Atlantis to be left defenceless, without the benefits of the ZPM?

Finally, - Daedalus. In one episode Colonel Caldwell comments that it would be impossible for Daedalus to evacuate everyone as the ships life support systems have a limited capacity, especially considering the distance it travels between Earth and Atlantis. It would not be viable as Atlantis’s sole lifeboat for that reason. Having the ZPM juicing up the Gate means in a worse case scenario, Atlantis could be evacuated in next to no time as the Ancients originally did centuries ago. This also allows more personnel to be stationed there to exacerbate exploration and military endeavours.

Plot Points

Atlantis having a link to Earth means that Weir has to answer to Woolsey and the IAC, which puts pressure on her. If Atlantis is cut off that is lifted, killing a plot source and possible tension.

Without the ZPM, Atlantis would be completely defenceless, with the Wraith on the doorstep, the city would not stand a chance against any Wraith faction, or other enemies who wish to attack them.

Atlantis having one ZMP means certain systems are accessible, but not all of them. This gives the writing team some limited technical toys to play with, but leaves Atlantis in a position where it is not at full capacity to do everything possible. I.e., there is the promise that the city can surprise us (the drone for example) but some things that cannot be used due to limited power.

Finally, having the door open to Earth besides using the Daedalus means we can have storylines focus on the character’s backgrounds, such as family, friends upbringing and possibly, give Atlantis the opportunity to assist the SGC. SG1 gave Atlantis a ZMP, who knows what Atlantis might be able to provide for the SGC?

Andy. [/SIZE]

sparkygate
May 17th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I say send the ZPM back as the orion is needed in Atlantis, incase the wraith attacks, also i highly doubt the wraith would come and attack Atlantis as most of them still believe that Atlantis was destoryed in the siege3.

With the ZPM back on earth, they can power the Ancient Outpost and even thou it doesnt work then, the ZPM can be power the gate to get people to Atlantis.

PLUS

The asgards are going to help out, i mean we save there butts from the replicators.

---------------------------------------------

Just saying;
That even if earth was destoryed, the people we evaculated to Atlantis, can research a way to destory the wraith thus gaining more ancient tech...

If you dont agree please comment!!

:jack_new_anime05: :tealcanime23:

Peoples_General
May 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Theme of season 1 was they were cut off, in a city without deffense, and terrible out numbered
Theme of season 2 was they were undercover, the wraith couldnt know they exist so had to be more stelthy.

I think BC-303 says it best. Different SGA seasons have different themes as it shows progress being made. Why would you want the SGA team to loose their ZPM, just to have them go back to the powerless-ness thing again? It would be quite redundant and pointless IMO. The whole point of SGA, imo, is to get that city back to defend Earth.

travis
May 17th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I'm thinking for season 3 theme it be either about Atlantis defending it self and exploring more of the city, or more insight to the character's.(just a speculation)

Thunderbird 2
May 18th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I have thought of one potential way of dealing with this in the series structure - SGA1 find two ZPMs (Don't ask me how!) Daedalus takes one back to Earth, the other remains at Atlantis. Unfortunately, the Atlantis ZPM has a fault / error meaning it can only be used a couple of times. Ergo, Atlantis still has one ZPM, and Earth has one ZPM? - That way the Earth ZPM could be used to fight the Ori, preventing it from being used to jucie up the Earth gate, so Daedalus still needs to ping pong between Earth and Atlantis? Just an open speculation!

Personally though, I am looking forward to more character backstory!

Kanten
May 18th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Heck, I would actually be somewhat sorta thrilled if the ZPM went off somehow. Atlantis felt way too comfortable for its current situation this past season. It was cool for the last-second save in Siege III, but since then, things have just felt kind of 'meh' for me in terms of the series.

I really liked the isolated feeling of the first season, and how the expedition had to be legitimately careful, as there was no backup waiting for them on the other side of the gate. Now it seems like the team is just making one dumb decision right after another and instantly getting more cannon fodder shipped in right afterward.

Atlantis now has two ships and a shield whenever they need it. It's getting way too safe to be very compelling anymore for me. I can only hope the Asurans will basically negate that whole feeling.

AtlantisForever
May 19th, 2006, 12:53 AM
the only way id agree if they was able to move the city to the planet where they found the wraith at the destroyed Ancient's defence satalites if we did send the Orion instead of the ZPM i would be pissed off tbh.. why do the atlantis team have to find a ancient warship and send it to the MW tobe Destroyed and the inferno people wouldnt let that happen

Kanten
May 19th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Well, Taranis doesn't really have any say in what happens with the Orion now, we did kind of find them a new planet in exchange. Also, I think MW needs the Orion more than Pegasus does right now.

As far as we've seen the Wraith don't even use any shielding, it's just the weapons we keep trying to use on them are pathetically slow and get interepted instantly. Meanwhile, we've got the Ori banging down the door at home with technology we haven't seen ANYTHING beat yet.

SmallTimePerson
May 20th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Actually, it was stated that there were 60 hive ships in our region of the galaxy. So it is possible that there could be hundreds more in other parts of the Pegasus galaxy

*cough*wrong*cough**cough*. Make sure you check your facts before you contradict someone. In "underground" Groden states there is 21 wraith Hive ships in our are of pegasus alone. And then he said there are indications of far more elsewhere, perhaps 60, or more.

Lord You
May 20th, 2006, 09:17 PM
There have to be more than 60 hive ships. Say there are about the same number of Wraith in all of Pegasus as there are humans on Earth - 6.5 billion. With 60 hive ships that would mean about 100 million wraith live on one ship. I think even a million wraith per ship is pushing it.

DarkBlade
May 24th, 2006, 01:37 PM
There have to be more than 60 hive ships. Say there are about the same number of Wraith in all of Pegasus as there are humans on Earth - 6.5 billion. With 60 hive ships that would mean about 100 million wraith live on one ship. I think even a million wraith per ship is pushing it.

Oh dear God. So according to that Atlantis has killed 7MILLION Wraith?
Near the end of Season 1 there was this briefing and they estimated 10000 on the 3 Hiveships that were originally heading there. According to your estimate of 6.5Billion at 3300 per ship...
1969696.969696969696969696969697 Wraith Hiveships in Pegasus. At that number every solar system would be so full of them it would be insane. Like putting 50 people in your bedroom, it could be done but it would be very.... Erm... Cozy.... Considering maybe the Wraith were awake for 100 years (The war with the Alterans/Ancients) 198000 Wraith is a HIGH number considering the tactics of the Wraith, brute force, the Ancients could win every battle but they still lost the war.

with the new baddies in the PG having vessels like Atlantis the ZPM is needed now most of all. In seige the chair was powered with the new generators.

But the generator BURNED OUT

I think you will find it was 10 Hive ships shoting at Atlantis and no 3.

Also there is not point of sending out fighters to atack Atlantis as it would be a waste of time.

Now that we have the Drones ( that have the abitlity to locate the part of the target that will cause the most distruction). I "it's good to be king" 1 Drone either disabled or distroyed a Goa'uld mother ship. with thousands of the drones i think that we have the ability to take out as many hive ships as need be.

Rant over and thanks for reading

5 Hiveships were destroyed in The Siege Part1-3
2 Hiveships fought eachother in The Lost Boys & The Hive
Oh and the 2 that will be destroyed in the Season 3 opener :D

That means from 60 there are 53 left in Pegasus As of 02x11, however most likely as of 3x01 there will be 51 :P

And the idea of more Wraith turning up (maybe more advanced ones) Would be a powerful plot device for TPTB

But in the Siege the 31 Drones or so that were fired werent hanging around and killing everything in sight. Either MW and PG Drones are different or the ones in Lost City were spent, like empty bullet casings

the only way id agree if they was able to move the city to the planet where they found the wraith at the destroyed Ancient's defence satalites if we did send the Orion instead of the ZPM i would be pissed off tbh.. why do the atlantis team have to find a ancient warship and send it to the MW tobe Destroyed and the inferno people wouldnt let that happen

The planet with the downed Wraith ship was a desert planet as far as anyone knows. And they would need 3 Full ZPM's to do that and the Satellites are gone anyway. And with 3ZPM's dontcha think they would just send a few the SGC's way? And what would the Taranians ("The Inferno People") DO IF the Orion was destroyed? Fling rocks through the StarGate towards Atlantis? (LMAO)

they could just find me and plug me in. plug me in carter.

:thoranime09:

P.S. Hi!! First post here :P :docianime15:

freyr's mother
May 24th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Near the end of Season 1 there was this briefing and they estimated 10000 on the 3 Hiveships that were originally heading there.

Do you remember what ep that was in and who said it?

Welcome to the forum.

Harekin
May 24th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Has everyone forgotten about the MKII Generators? They can power the chair in Antartica so they dont need the ZPM.

DarkBlade
May 24th, 2006, 06:52 PM
do you remember what ep that was in and who said it?

Welcome to the forum.

KAVANAGH: There are tens of thousands of life-sucking aliens in highly advanced spaceships on their way here to destroy us, and we have -- what? -- two hundred people, most of whom are scientists who've never even fired a gun before.

From the GateWorld transcripts. So I was off abit, Last time I saw 1x18 was late 2004 early 2005

Has everyone forgotten about the MKII Generators? They can power the chair in Antartica so they dont need the ZPM.

Read my earlier post. The generator BLEW UP

freyr's mother
May 24th, 2006, 06:54 PM
KAVANAGH: There are tens of thousands of life-sucking aliens in highly advanced spaceships on their way here to destroy us, and we have -- what? -- two hundred people, most of whom are scientists who've never even fired a gun before.

From the GateWorld transcripts. So I was off abit, Last time I saw 1x18 was late 2004 early 2005

Read my earlier post. The generator BLEW UP
If the generator blew up, Atlantis would have been destroyed. The generator died.

AlterianX
May 25th, 2006, 07:02 AM
tbh they dont need Orion or the ZPM. we can power our ship's and the Ancient Defence platform with the MKII Generator

Tain
May 25th, 2006, 09:38 AM
1969696.969696969696969696969697 Wraith Hiveships in Pegasus. At that number every solar system would be so full of them it would be insane. Like

No, they wouldn't. You could fit that number of hiveships in our own solar system, fly through it and never see one of them visually. Space is big DarkBlade. VERY BIG. I have to agree with the previous poster, 60 ships is way to few to be the Wraith total number. As mentioned earlier, 1 million, let alone 100 million wraith would never fit on one hiveship. I refuse to believe the entire number of the wraith species, which defeated the ancients by shear numbers, is less than the human population of a single nation on Earth. Following this, there HAS to be far, far more than a paultry 60 ships in pegasus.

My guess is that the 60 hive ship number refers to a single wraith clan/alliance/fleet.

UltraMarioMan
May 25th, 2006, 11:13 AM
I myself suspect the Hive Ships are neither the largest nor most powerful Wraith ships. Why wake up the "Ancient crushers" when unnecessary?

Harekin
May 26th, 2006, 01:18 PM
It was an accident they all woke up and I said MK2 generatorS, plural. They couldnt power the chair anymore cos they had ONE MK2.

DarkBlade
May 26th, 2006, 09:16 PM
tbh they dont need Orion or the ZPM. we can power our ship's and the Ancient Defence platform with the MKII Generator

The platform was destroyed in The Siege. And the generator ceased to function due to power requirements. And Asgard hyperdrives are powering Daedalus, MUCH more powerful then Naquada

No, they wouldn't. You could fit that number of hiveships in our own solar system, fly through it and never see one of them visually. Space is big DarkBlade. VERY BIG. I have to agree with the previous poster, 60 ships is way to few to be the Wraith total number. As mentioned earlier, 1 million, let alone 100 million wraith would never fit on one hiveship. I refuse to believe the entire number of the wraith species, which defeated the ancients by shear numbers, is less than the human population of a single nation on Earth. Following this, there HAS to be far, far more than a paultry 60 ships in pegasus.

My guess is that the 60 hive ship number refers to a single wraith clan/alliance/fleet.

It would be possible. BUT. Why would all the Wraith would be in one Solarsystem? And I'm pretty sure it's been said that Wraith are nomadic. And maybe the 60 Hiveships are the ones REMAINING after the war with the Ancients? And also, Atlantis was the only cityship to goto Pegasus, under 30000 Ancients. Approx 200000 Wraith would be overwhelming to the Ancients...

I myself suspect the Hive Ships are neither the largest nor most powerful Wraith ships. Why wake up the "Ancient crushers" when unnecessary?

It would've said it in the data device they got in 01x08 AND Ford's team grabbed several in the midseason 2parter of Season 2. And the Wraith who controlled them would be able to destroy any other Wraith ship if that were the case

Harekin
May 28th, 2006, 02:31 PM
The platform was destroyed in The Siege. And the generator ceased to function due to power requirements. And Asgard hyperdrives are powering Daedalus, MUCH more powerful then Naquada

It would be possible. BUT. Why would all the Wraith would be in one Solarsystem? And I'm pretty sure it's been said that Wraith are nomadic. And maybe the 60 Hiveships are the ones REMAINING after the war with the Ancients? And also, Atlantis was the only cityship to goto Pegasus, under 30000 Ancients. Approx 200000 Wraith would be overwhelming to the Ancients...

It would've said it in the data device they got in 01x08 AND Ford's team grabbed several in the midseason 2parter of Season 2. And the Wraith who controlled them would be able to destroy any other Wraith ship if that were the case

No need to offend you but this post is TOTALLY wrong.

1. The platform was not destroyed during the Siege, it ran our of drones.
2. The Pegasus galaxy is a galaxy, not a solar system. There are between hundreds and millions of solar systems in a galaxy
3. You ever seen the Tower? Or the MANY outposts the Ancients had?
EDIT: Removed REALLY bad early morning maths!

May 28th, 2006, 10:44 PM
No need to offend you but this post is TOTALLY wrong.

1. The platform was not destroyed during the Siege, it ran our of drones.
2. The Pegasus galaxy is a galaxy, not a solar system. There are between hundreds and millions of solar systems in a galaxy
3. You ever seen the Tower? Or the MANY outposts the Ancients had? And 30000 Ancients in Atlantis in a 3km ship? That'd be 10 Ancients per sq metre! We're they playing the "we're about to Ascend" version of Twister or something?

Sorry, your math leaves a LOT to be desired. Even assuming that Atlantis had only one flat surface (rather than a bunch of multi-floored highrises) at 3km in diameter you would have
pi*r^2 = 3.1416 * 1500^2 = 7,068,600 square meters
Or one ancient per 235 square meters.

BUT, most of the buildings in Atlantis are high rises. Let's look at one high rise, say the Sears Tower in Chicago. It's got a size pretty comparable to the main tower of Atlantis. In that one building alone you have 418,064 m˛ of floor space.

Now let's look at Rodney's comment that searching the entirety of Atlantis would be like searching every floor of every building in Manhattan. While Manhattan is much bigger in area (and thus what Rodney said was may have been something of an exaggeration), it has about 33 million square meters of office space (not even counting living space and the like). That gives you about one ancient per 1100 square meters (1 per 11,800 square feet). Not exactly packed in like sardines there.

Harekin
May 29th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Sorry, your math leaves a LOT to be desired. Even assuming that Atlantis had only one flat surface (rather than a bunch of multi-floored highrises) at 3km in diameter you would have
pi*r^2 = 3.1416 * 1500^2 = 7,068,600 square meters
Or one ancient per 235 square meters.

BUT, most of the buildings in Atlantis are high rises. Let's look at one high rise, say the Sears Tower in Chicago. It's got a size pretty comparable to the main tower of Atlantis. In that one building alone you have 418,064 m˛ of floor space.

Now let's look at Rodney's comment that searching the entirety of Atlantis would be like searching every floor of every building in Manhattan. While Manhattan is much bigger in area (and thus what Rodney said was may have been something of an exaggeration), it has about 33 million square meters of office space (not even counting living space and the like). That gives you about one ancient per 1100 square meters (1 per 11,800 square feet). Not exactly packed in like sardines there.

Em, that was early in the morning...like 4am when I posted that so sorry, my brain wasnt working. But everything I said in that was true bar the crappy maths.

FallenAngelII
May 29th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Summary for "Underground" - The team infiltrates a hive ship with the Genii and steal a Wraith data node -- which reveals that at least 60 hive ships are now on the move.

It doesn't say that there are only 60 hive ships in the Pegasus galaxy. The data simply showed 60 hive ships had awoken and were now on the move. Besides, you think every single wraith hive keeps in touch with all the others? Someone put forth the theory that it was a clan/enclave. Very probable.