PDA

View Full Version : Kate Hewlett to be cast as McKay's Sister

freyr's mother
April 21st, 2006, 02:18 PM
This should be good:cool:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/04/katehewlettcastasmckayssis.shtml

Kliggins
April 21st, 2006, 02:22 PM
I agree. This sounds like it will be a great episode and am looking forward to seeing it. :D

xfkirsten
April 21st, 2006, 02:29 PM
Hooray! I know DH had mentioned somewhere that he was hoping that'd happen - I'm glad it really is! I can't wait to see it. :)

sueKay
April 21st, 2006, 02:45 PM
All I can say is YAY! :D

This is gonna be such a fantastic episode!

prion
April 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM
EXCERPT:

Kate Hewlett will guest star in MCKAY AND MRS MILLER in which Rodney is
reunited with his estranged sister on Earth. Beware of spoilers for the upcoming episode below.

Glad to see they're casting siblings who will *gasp* look like siblings! Oh my god!! ;)

Though tight-lipped about the plot of "McKay and Mrs. Miller," Gero did
reveal the reason behind the tense relationship between Rodney and Jeannie.

SPOILER
"She's equally brilliant," he said. "Let me put it that way. But she has kind
of left the physics game. She got pregnant, basically, when she was in
university, and decided that being a mother was really important to her. She kind of put that part of her life on hold. McKay never forgave her for that. He felt that she was potentially more brilliant than even he was, and feels like the contribution she could've made to humanity far outweighs going home and raising a kid.END SPOILER

Ooh, ouch, boy does that make Rodney look, well, petty! I can't wait to see how they iron this out!

I just hope it's not at the beginning of the second half of the season mark, otherwise we'll wait till 2007 to see it, of course, on TV, that is ;)

Klenotka
April 21st, 2006, 03:23 PM
OMG, this will be so good. I was hoping this will happen. Real brother and sister, it may be very interesting. And I am anxious about the

Jeannie´s child and Rodney´s reaction. He and kids..:cameron:

Thors Love Child
April 21st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Great.. more focuse on McKay. Don't get me wrong i like him alot. But I wish we could get alot more backstory on Teyla, Sheppard, Beckett. I know they are suppossed to get their due this yr too most likely, but I think season 1's solo episode of McKay (the one where he is in the sinking PJ) was enough for now until some other developments were made. IMHO

sueKay
April 21st, 2006, 03:32 PM
I've just realised something...

Remember Rodney's message to Jeannie in 'Letters from Pegasus'?

(quote from gatenoise - http://www.moon-catchin.net/gatenoise/index.htm)

Ford, if you cut everything else, just, um, keep this part, OK? Jeannie? This is your brother, Rodney ... obviously! I wanna s-say, um ... I wanna say something. Uh ... family is important. I-I’ve come to realise that because the people here have become a sort of a ... kind of a surrogate family to me. (He smiles.) Now, I know what you’re thinking: I’ve never really been the poster child for that kind of sentiment but, uh, when ... when one’s contemplating ones own demise, one tends to see things more clearly. I really do wish you the best, you know, and I’m sorry we weren’t closer. Perhaps, um ... if by chance I make it out of this, perhaps one day we can be, and I would like that.

This could prove very interesting...

Rosehawk
April 21st, 2006, 03:41 PM
This is so cool!
I love background stories and they have slowly built up to something like this for McKay. David is a great actor and I heard Kate was too! Love to see how this will all turn out!

prion
April 21st, 2006, 03:51 PM
This is so cool!
I love background stories and they have slowly built up to something like this for McKay. David is a great actor and I heard Kate was too! Love to see how this will all turn out!

NOt to whine, but I sure hope Sheppard gets an equally as good episode :)

rarocks24
April 21st, 2006, 03:52 PM
Sweet. She doesn't look bad either. Maybe she will come to Atlantis...

Lone Wolf
April 21st, 2006, 04:01 PM
Best thing I heard in a long time. This is absolutely fantastic and I have a feeling this episode will be great.

corey2002
April 21st, 2006, 04:06 PM
is McKay and Mrs.Miller the first ep to have a characters name in the title?

Wilson3Girl
April 21st, 2006, 05:07 PM
Yes, I remember him saying that in Letters to Pegasus. That sets it up nicely. I'm looking forward to this! This sounds great! :) I definitely see the family resemblance.

Wilson3Girl

lily
April 21st, 2006, 05:41 PM
I've been waiting for this episode since McKay mentioned her sister in season 1. And having Kate Hewlett playing Rodney's sister in SGA is way too cool. I can't wait to watch this!

ToasterOnFire
April 21st, 2006, 07:11 PM
Well, at least we don't have to worry about Rodney and Jeannie not looking like siblings. :D

I'm really interested in why Rodney is upset with Jeannie - women often have a difficult choice between family and a career, if they're not trying to balance both. To have a family member upset over such a decision could certainly cause a rift. I'm hoping that Rodney doesn't get portrayed as a hardcore misogynist (because he's not, IMO), but I don't think I have to worry with Gero at the helm. :)

Willow'sCat
April 21st, 2006, 09:07 PM
All I can say is YAY! :D

This is gonna be such a fantastic episode!I agree, unlike some I think McKay is underwritten, sure we have had numerous episodes where McKay is front and centre but I still maintain we know little of real importance about him as a man. IMO siblings are a great way to cut through the [email protected] and I would love to see him with his nephew or niece, assuming the child makes an appearance. We know how much he *doesn't* ;) like kids.

Also so glad I finally have an answer to my question... Yay Kate! :) Oh I hope she knows what she is letting herself in for... once you appear in Stargate there is no going back. :P :D Can't wait to see David and Kate together on screen, and with Martin Gero writing it I am sure it will be good.

Peoples_General
April 21st, 2006, 10:25 PM
She was in the movie Dark Water, or at least the Americanized version of this Japanese horror movie.

pavaneofstars
April 21st, 2006, 10:36 PM
Hooray! Can't wait to see this ep and David and his sister acting together, that is so cool! :D I am also eagerly awaiting the posibility of Rodney's reaction/interaction with a niece or nephew

Willow'sCat
April 21st, 2006, 10:41 PM
She was in the movie Dark Water, or at least the Americanized version of this Japanese horror movie.Yes she was, she also had dark hair in that, she plays the teacher's aid and sings "insy winsy spider" to the children. :D

NakedJehutyV2
April 22nd, 2006, 12:23 AM
so there are two people who are superior to mckay now. she's not bad looking at all. she's hot!!!!

Klenotka
April 22nd, 2006, 01:59 AM
Great.. more focuse on McKay. Don't get me wrong i like him alot. But I wish we could get alot more backstory on Teyla, Sheppard, Beckett. I know they are suppossed to get their due this yr too most likely, but I think season 1's solo episode of McKay (the one where he is in the sinking PJ) was enough for now until some other developments were made. IMHO

And did you notice that this will be first McKay focused episode in s3? Ther will be Sheppard, Ronon and Weir episode so I think it´s not the problem.
And I think Grace under pressure wasn´t much about developing of the character, family background on the other hand....
And I am certain Teyla will get her episode as well. I think Rachel said something like that.

tiggerific
April 22nd, 2006, 02:21 AM
this is fantastic news!

CONGRATULATIONS KATE!!!

i cant wait to see this episode and as people have said with Martin writing it we cant go wrong!! of course all the other writers are just as good! but hey we love martins work!

Ses
April 22nd, 2006, 03:07 AM
of course all the other writers are just as good!

I thought you didn't drink Vicky?
*runs and hides* :p

Stricken
April 22nd, 2006, 03:15 AM
The best bit about this is that they are actually related which can only mean that, that will rub off on to the episode :D

Vicky
April 22nd, 2006, 04:12 AM
That sounds really interesting!

I can't wait wait to watch how they'll deal with it but I'm pretty sure it'll be great since David and Kate already have that brother/sister chemistry!

BC - 303
April 22nd, 2006, 04:20 AM
i kinda hope for a small brother sister argument, and bringing up the fact he wanted to be an artist. which was one of the first bits of charactor development of Mckay

zer0_1
April 22nd, 2006, 04:30 AM
thats such a cool idea, having DH's sister play Mckay's sister
sounds good

Cory Holmes
April 22nd, 2006, 05:30 AM
I was actually hoping that Jeannie McKay wasn't as brilliant as Rodney.

But here's to hoping that she's all those other things that he isn't: Nice, kind, considerate, tactful... :p

Willow'sCat
April 22nd, 2006, 05:51 AM
I was actually hoping that Jeannie McKay wasn't as brilliant as Rodney. But here's to hoping that she's all those other things that he isn't: Nice, kind, considerate, tactful... :POh no she would have to be as smart or even smarter! Where would the fun be if she had normal or below average intelligence? :D

A tactful McKay? Now that is a scary thought.

It appears this part of the episode will have only McKay and his sister in it, so no Mr Miller or their parents. I would still like to see the child, just for McKay's reaction. No cats though... well maybe just the one. ;) :D

Cory Holmes
April 22nd, 2006, 06:02 AM
Oh no she would have to be as smart or even smarter! Where would the fun be if she had normal or below average intelligence? :D

Exaclty my point. What's the point in having him on the show if there's someone better than he is? And I was also thinking about the plot, how it could be more entertaining if part of the friction between the two is that they just couldn't see how the other person worked (ie: she couldn't get past his brilliance, he just doesn't undertsand her people skills).

April 22nd, 2006, 06:08 AM
Glad they got her to play the role of his sister :)

XX

prion
April 22nd, 2006, 10:44 AM
i kinda hope for a small brother sister argument, and bringing up the fact he wanted to be an artist. which was one of the first bits of charactor development of Mckay

Actually, McKay wanted to be a pianist, not an artist ;)

wolverine_nl
April 22nd, 2006, 11:04 AM
cant wait for it to air!!!!!!:cameron:
Maybe she is soooo good that they put her as recurring character.

Not thinking tooo positive lol

Dutch_Razor
April 22nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
What would be funny is people who don't know might complain they don't look alike enough lol. (I mean, it could happen..)

prion
April 22nd, 2006, 11:54 AM
What would be funny is people who don't know might complain they don't look alike enough lol. (I mean, it could happen..)

Believe me, there will be people who won't connect the last names at all. Having siblings, I've had that happen ("You're related? Oh gee, I didn't know.")

Arlessiar
April 22nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
I'm so very happy and excited that Kate will play Jeanie McKay! This is so great, can't wait for this episode! :D

Good that David already thought of his sister Kate when they established Jeanie McKay in 'Hot Zone'.
And I'm sure it's also easier for David to relate to the feeling of having a younger sister than a younger brother, since he actually has five younger sisters! :)

Everyone says that Kate's a fantastic actress, I do believe that, but I hope she's not nervous now! No pressure, Kate, I already think you're the perfect Jeanie! :D

Oh, and if someone's interested, there's a discussion thread for Jeanie McKay here on GW, where we discuss her character:

Jeanie McKay thread (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=24517)

Bye, A.

sueKay
April 22nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
One thing that I think is really interesting about this episode, is that Rodney is almost adamant and refuses to accept that anyone's smarter than him. But by looking at what Martin's said...it seems that Rodney's openly admitting that Jeannie is smarter than him

I think that we are going to see a very different Rodney McKay in this ep.

I don't think that there's any chance of Jeannie becoming a recurring character on Atlantis given that she's a mother but what's to stop her from working for the SGC if she ever goes back to physics.

Rosehawk
April 22nd, 2006, 12:26 PM
NOt to whine, but I sure hope Sheppard gets an equally as good episode :)

I agree with you. I really like Shep alot too and would like to see a good background story on him but that is for a different thread!;)

The writers just have a take on McKay and his sister that I find really interesting and can't wait to see! :) I think the two actors are going to be perfect for this kind of an episode!:)

Ensign M.I.T.S
April 22nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
That will be kinda funny! I hope it will be really nice :D

Lord Zedd
April 22nd, 2006, 02:32 PM
One thing that I think is really interesting about this episode, is that Rodney is almost adamant and refuses to accept that anyone's smarter than him. But by looking at what Martin's said...it seems that Rodney's openly admitting that Jeannie is smarter than him

I think that we are going to see a very different Rodney McKay in this ep.

I don't think that there's any chance of Jeannie becoming a recurring character on Atlantis given that she's a mother but what's to stop her from working for the SGC if she ever goes back to physics.
I think you ment that at the time in the past she was the smartass but now McKay is of course ;) Jeannie became a mum. Rodney couldn't live with that so he became the smartest person of the family

The Ori
April 22nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
I think it's a great idea by TPTB

prion
April 23rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
I think it's a great idea by TPTB

It's great to actually see siblings play each other's, well, siblings!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/wraithfodder/hewlettsiblings.jpg

Allestian
April 25th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Oh wow!!!

This sounds soooooo cool.

:D

creed462
April 25th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I think this will make for an intersting story