X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commentary "The Ties That Bind" 9x04

Hey!

This is a (quite rough) transcript of the commentary for TTTB.

1) It's extremely hard to tell Martin Gero and William Warring apart, so there might be some inaccuracies to who actually said what. And sometimes I simply couldn't understand what was said.

2) The 'h' on my keyboard is a bit wonky. I apologize for any resulting spelling mistakes, as well for all "normal" mistakes.

3) Corrections and additions welcome.

Enjoy!

Thanks very much to Formerhost who sent some corrections.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Commentary “The Ties That Bind”

With William Warring, Joseph Mallozzi and Martin Gero.

WW: Hi, my name is William Warring and I’m the director of “The Ties That Bind”. And sitting beside me are…

JM: Hi, I’m Joseph Mallozzi and I’m the executive producer and the writer of “The Ties That Bind”.

MG: My name is Martin Gero. I’m also working on Atlantis. I’m a creative consultant on SG-1 and had very little to do with this episode. But I’m here along for the ride.

Someone woo-hoos but can’t tell who.

MG: They brought me in to punch up the commentary.

JM: All right, now TTTB actually…at the beginning of last year, I was actually planning to write a script called “Deus Ex Machina”, when Rob [Robert C. Cooper] came in and pitched another story. Or just very basic elements of TTTB. He basically pitched it out and said: “I need you guys to write this episode first.” So Martin, Carl [Binder] and I went into the writers’ room and we spun it out and we broke the story over, I guess, an afternoon. The original title was, I believe, “Treasure, Treasure, Treasure”.

MG: It was. Yeah.

JM: And ah..

MG: Which I was disappointed that we didn’t keep, by the way.

JM: It was pretty good. It was pretty clever. But I suggested “Ties That Bind” and I…

MG: I thought…

JM: Rob wasn’t a big fan of it, really.

MG: No, he never liked “Ties That Bind”.

JM: Yeah.

MG: The title. The script, of course, he loved because it’s perfect, but um...I think it also… This is one of the first scripts to… I mean, Rob wrote the first, the three-parter. None of us had really read that, when we started working on this. And something kinda interesting…this was kinda the first episode that we had really as a group attempted to write minus the Richard Dean Anderson character, Jack O’Neill.

JM: Right.

MG: And I remember in the initial breaking, when you and I and Carl sat down to actually come up with the beats, we’d actually really diminished Colonel Mitchell’s role. Just because we’re so used to, you know, making sure O’Neill only had… Richard Dean Anderson would only work a certain amount of days so, you know, in the last couple of seasons he’d been kind of slowly pushed to almost kind of a background role in the show. And so…

JM: We’d always have to look for tricks to explain why he wasn’t there.

GM: Yeah, exactly. He’s injured. You know, he…

JM: He’s stuck in traffic. And then after Rob read the outline, he said: ”By the way, we contracted him [Ben Browder] for 20 episodes. We can use him full-time now. We can…”

MG: “Really, put Ben Browder in as much as you want.” And we were like: “ Alright! He can be on stuff.

JM: That was great because it was actually… I mean, in the original outline it was really more sort of a Daniel/Vala dynamic. And by putting Mitchell in you also sorta got to play the Daniel/Mitchell dynamic, which is actually something both actors really enjoyed playing.

MG: Now the beard originally… This was lost later in the season. But when Ben Browder came on board everyone kinda joked like: “Oh, those two look so much alike. Ha, ha, ha.” And we’re like: “Yea-ah, not really, though.” And then, I’ll never forget when they met. Actually, Ben was in the writers’ room and Michael came in to say hello. And they were standing next to each other and there was just kinda of a silence and we’re all like: “Oh dear, they do look very, very similar.

JM: Now I thought that maybe Rob or someone had asked Michael to grow the beard. But actually that was Michael’s decision.

WW: To differentiate himself?

JM: Yeah, as a way to differentiate himself.

WW: But don’t… Still, towards the end of the season they still have… one’s in green, the other’s in blue. And if one’s in black than the other’s in green…

WW: They will never wear the same.

JM: I mean, my argument is… The fans of the show who’ve been watching for, you know…

MG: Ten years now.

JM: Yeah, ten years. So presumably they will be able to tell the difference between Daniel and not Daniel.

WW: Anyone asked to do… like a Face/Off version? Where the two get to play each other?

JM: Are you pitching us a story?

WW: Maybe.

JM: Well…..

MG: Well, that would be fun. Right here live on commentary.

WW: Um… no.

JM: It’s a great idea, but um…… *they all laugh*…… It’s great idea.
    One of the things I really liked about this episode are the guest stars.

MG: Yes!

JM: Malcolm Scott, Michael P. Northey and, of course, Bruce Gray. And Wallace Shawn.

MG: And Wallace Shawn. How can you forget Wallace Shawn.

JM: It’s funny actually, when they came in to audition, we were in the room, and they came in to audition the different characters. Malcolm Scott auditioned for Inago, the pirate. And we thought: “Well, he is… We like him a lot but why don’t we have him try for Caius. And the guy, Michael P. Northey, got Inago. I believe he actually auditioned for Arlos.

MG: Michael Northey and Malcolm Scott, by the way, are both very good friends of Paul McGillion who plays Beckett.

JM: Oh really? I recognized Malcolm Scott from this Chubby Chicken commercial he does which is hilarious. Just based on that I said “We gotta have him on the show.”
    That’s an ad-lib by the way, of Michael Shanks… the “scraping the bottom of the barrel”. Poor Dr. Lee.

MG: Now this was shot third, although it aired fourth. So this was still very much at the beginning of… You know, Michael and Claudia had such a good relationship, even after “Prometheus Unbound”. And they have, you know, some people just have great chemistry together. And um…You know, although… Not that “Avalon” pt. 1 and 2 was a barrel of laughs, you know, it definitely had moments of humor. But those were quite serious episodes. And this was… This is really a chance for…

JM: This is more of a romp.

MG: …these two guys to get back to kind of that dynamic they had in “Prometheus Unbound”.

WW: What happened to the relationship between Dr. Lam and Mitchell?

JM: Ok, see that’s a very interesting…

GM: That’s a great question.

JM: You’ll notice, you’ll notice kinda subtle, very, very subtle hints.

WW: Like when he came out of the…

JM: When he comes out of the elevator, he’s buttoning up the shirt. And you’re wondering what’s going on.

WW: Just a little hint.

MG: They… It was a big part of “Avalon” pt. 1 and 2, originally. Well, not a big part but it was definitely a sub plot. This was of course before we found out that, you know, she was Landry’s daughter. And um…and so… But “Avalon” pt. 1 and 2, you know, combined was about 30 minutes over. So they had to cut a lot of stuff and some of the fun character stuff got cut. Same with this. This episode was…

JM: Yeah, there were whole scenes.

MG: …a little over. Whole scenes that needed to get cut.

JM: Brilliantly written.

WW: Brilliantly written and executed.

JM: Oh yes, they were. It’s just kinda unfortunate that Sci-Fi on their website last year was putting up the deleted footage. But for some reason this year… Sorry, two years ago they were putting up deleted footage.

MG: Oh, really?

JM: But for some reason last year they didn’t. I posted at least on of the missing scenes online. But for fans who are holding out to see, you might have to… Maybe direct all correspondence to Sci-Fi in New York.

MG: Wallace Shawn, a super swell guy. I mean, he’s you know..

WW: He was a lot of fun.

JM: It’s funny actually. When we did… we deal with a casting director in L.A. and I was talking to the assistant there. And there are a number of times when you hear: “Oh, we contacted the actor and, you know, he loves the show. He‘s a big fan of the show.” And we heard this about Wallace Shawn and thought: “Amazing.” It just amazes you sometimes who is a fan of the show.

MG: Who watches the show.

JM: And so, you know, he came in that day for the costume fitting. And we went down, you know, and I said: “So, are you familiar with the show?” And he said: “No, I don’t even own a TV.”

*they all laugh*

JM: But I’m sure that after his experiences here, he’ll be watching the show all the time.

WW: Oh, I’m sure.

JM: Now, I’m sure a lot of fans’ skin crawls at this point where he… where we have the Arlos character launch into a sort of explanation of, you know, the carnal evenings they would share together.

MG: This idea with the hands… (Arlos illustrates his story about Vala and him with some nice gestures)

WW: This was Wallace’s idea. He just came up with it.

MG: This is a great, great idea.

WW: It’s priceless.

MG: Cause it kind of almost… it makes… it forces you to think about it visually.

WW: Yeah, it’s creepy.

JM: Now, in the original version, you know it was just this and the audience was left to assume what they would. Um, later we got a note from Claudia who, I think, was kinda concerned about sort of that her character was, you know, kinda the two dimensional whorelette. And she, you know, wanted to make it clear that, you know, Arlos may have assumed that, you know, whatever happened happened. But in fact, you know,… she…Actually we wrote a line for her where basically she explains to Daniel and Mitchell that, you know, he had fallen asleep. So basically he could have assumed whatever… whatever, assume what she would have told him. But I think that may have been lost.

WW: No, I think that line’s still in there.

MG: That’s still there, absolutely.
    Last edited by ValaMalduran; 22 April 2006, 02:14 AM.
    VALA - COOL, FUNNY, SEXY, SMART

- inside Landry’s office -

WW: Here is Eileen Pedde as a Major. Whatever happened to the whole… What the heck is it called? The um..

JM: Stargate?

WW: No, the Senator and his approbation’s committee and the watch dog?

MG: Oh!

WW: Because that’s sort of, that‘s in this…

JM: The IOA?

WW: This episode ends with: “We’re gonna have to carry a watch dog.” And we never see that.

MG: It’s alluded that some risqué pictures of that Senator were found at the end of this episode and they were used against him to quiet him.

WW: We, um, originally… Was it Woolsey? We were gonna have Woolsey on the base all the time? That was, I think an original thought that we were maybe gonna try to set up with this. And then we decided for whatever reason we had so many new characters this season, that adding a watchdog character on top of it would just be confusing.
    Now originally in the cut… In the first couple of cuts those establishing shots weren’t around, right? And I remember, because you go to so many worlds on this…

WW: And this..

JM: You wanna establish the fact that… Yeah, it’s a different…

WW: We were like: “It would be really great if we could have some map paintings.” But this was already…you know, the season was already well over budget by this point. And I think you guys just went through.

JM: We just went through.

WW: Exactly. Episode four, three really. So, um, you guys just went through the shows…

JM: Past episodes, yeah.

WW: …and fished out old…which makes sense, because the whole idea was that, you know, they could be revisiting the many worlds that they had been to before.

JM: This is not a fresh mat painting?

WW: No, I don’t think it is.

JM: Really?
    In one of the earlier cuts there was a scene before this where they’re in the bar.

MG: That’s right.

WW: Where the two guys with the guns (they’re standing in the background of the shot) actually show up and we realize they’d been followed by Arlos. And it’s too bad that time wise we had to lose that nice little scene.

JM: Yeah, that’s the scene that opens with the guy being dragged out of the bar…

MG: Yeah.

JM:… and Vala cracking her knuckles.

WW: Cracking her knuckles, yes.

MG: Is that why it didn’t make the cut?

JM: Um, no actually. That was just being purely for time.
    I’m gonna have to lip read here, because for some reason I’ve lost sound in my… on my head phones.

WW: Don’t worry, the dialogue’s never any good anyway.

MG: Also, this was the first year we used… Those are the new wormhole transitions. The Atlantis wormhole transitions.

JM: The Atlantis wormhole transitions. And a lot of fans online…. Oh, by the way those were Ben Browder’s kids that just ran by. Um, a lot of the fans were actually quite upset that we’d switched wormhole transitions.

WW: Yeah. As they should be.
    Michael Northey, great local Vancouver actor. This was also, I mean, the city, the set they’re on now and the set that we’ve been in the whole time has actually… You know, whenever they’re off world, with the exception of one set…
    How’s it going, Joe?

JM: I’ve got sound back.

WW: You’ve got sound back? Alright.
    …is all the village set we’ve designed and created for Avalon. An it’s kind of a testament to Bridget McGuire and her crew, who were kinda able to make this one set look so different.

JM: So different. Give it so many different looks.

WW: You know, over the year, but especially in just a single episode is quite impressive.

JM: By the way, I remember watching dailies and this little sequence where he pulls out the Zat gun. There was one take where he actually pulled it out and he actually was holding it backwards. Aimed it at his own face.

MG: It’s hard for people to come in on the show and just know how to use a Zat.

WW: Whoops.

JM: It takes hours of training.

WW: Now that’s the first and only time we’ve seen, like, Vala’s gun. Do we ever see that gun again? Where did she get that gun?

MG: She’s very cunning.

JM: She brought it with her.

WW: Did she have one from, like , the SGC?

JM: No, this is her own gun.

WW: I know, but where’d she find it?

JM: She brought it with her to the SGC.

WW: And they let her keep it?

JM: She got it… She had…

WW: I’m only saying, it’s ? mistake. *they all laugh*

MG: It’s a market.

JM: So you’re for the Nitpicker’s Guide Online?

WW: Just saying. Sloppy Joe. It’s a sloppy, Joe.

JM: Now, in the original version when we actually… I think in, even in the first draft there were actually… there was an extra step as well.

MG: That’s right.

JM: But then Paul just thought that it just…

MG: Too much, too much.

JM: … went too long. There was another character who was actually a cross between the pirate we later see and the undercover-monk.

MG: Well, you know what’s…

WW: Another step in the treasure hunt?

MG: Yeah, there was the monk an then there was the pirate. And then we just combined them. You know what’s funny is that, when you said power coil… When we came up with that idea, you know, it’s like: “What could you have done with a used power coil?” And the joke was supposed to be, we cut and it’s just, like, essentially a giant bolt on a pedestal. And we were all, like, ha, ha, ha. But then… But they actually created such an elaborate prop that you’re like…

JM: You cannot, on this show… You can’t basically expect something simple. It always has to be something like this. This is the power coil.
    And this is Malcolm Scott who you may recognize from the Chubby Chicken commercials. Brilliant.

WW: This location was not a lot of fun to shoot in.

MG: No, why’s that?

JM: It’s beautiful.

WW: It… There’s two angles here, that’s the only two angles that work. This day was the same day that we shot the whole board room scene, the… With the Senator.

MG: Oh really?

WW: So this location was kinda left

JM: Oh yeah, the ?

WW: It’s the only place that was within a half block.

- Daniels tries to touch the coil, but is stopped by a small force field -

JM: Now, this is a little improvisation from Daniel…

GM: That cost the production a lot of money.

WW: We kept bringing up the point, why can’t we just steal it. Why wouldn’t we come back and just steal it?

JM: He’ll tell you why.

WW: True, but still. We’re SG-1, why wouldn’t we?
    It was so cold and rainy this day.

JM: Now it wasn’t raining that badly obviously when can’t…

MG: Did you have them covered? Or?

WW: No, it’s raining. But because we’re… Pete side -lit it.

MG: Right, you don’t pick it up.

WW: You don’t pick it up. But by the time we got to the Senator’s location it was just pouring.

MG: So the drawback of shooting in Vancouver, every now and again - and by every now and again I mean every other day…

JM: In fact, as we record these commentaries…

WW: We’re on day 25.

JM: Yes, day 25.

MG: Day 25 of continuous rain here. We have to go 2 more days or 3 more days for to be… to have the record.

JM: I thought we had the record.

WW: I thought we did, yeah.

JM: We’re number 1.

MG: No, number 1 was 28. 28 days is what you gotta beat. We’ve beaten our record, but to be THE record.

JM: Really?

WW: I don’t know. We’ll make that.

MG: If I’m wrong on that by the way, fans, please send a letter to Sci-Fi, New York.
    Last edited by ValaMalduran; 21 April 2006, 10:19 AM.

Comment

WW: That’s a nice little change-over he did.

MG: I like also the fact that you allude to the fact that the poor can’t bathe. Why is that?

JM: It’s really just something to do, I guess.

MG: You know, that’s why they’re poor. They don’t… they don’t wanna do anything.

JM: I… To be honest with you, if someone offered to bathe me, I would not turn them down.

WW: That guy? Really?

JM: Well, actually it would depend on who it was.
      I also love the job Christine Mooney did with the costumes in this episode. We were watching the dailies and we said: “This is… It’s like we’re doing a cross between Farscape and Serenity.
      And in the original version of the script, um… Actually, the note I got back… I remember I actually was very proud of the script and I went into the script meeting, I thought people would say: “Good job!” Brad said: “It doesn‘t… “ Rob said, I think: “It doesn’t really read like a, feel like a Stargate [episode].” And Brad said: “It feels more like a Season 3 episode.” And essentially what their problem was… that it wasn’t as grounded in the Stargate universe. You know, I made reference to, sort of, instead naquadah I sort of created sort of a…

MG: Monetary thing.

JM: …monetary thing. And Inago originally wasn’t a former Jaffa. He was just a…

MG: Just a guy.

JM: …you know, a rogue.

WW: It kinda worked tough. I mean they’re not wrong.

JM: No, no… Actually, it’s…it worked out.
      We remember Tenat and Jup from “Prometheus Unbound”.

- Tenat and Jup in their cargo ship -

MG: Tenat and Jup *pronounces it Joop*

WW: Are they re-voiced?

JM: Pardon me?

WW: Have they been re-voiced?

JM: Yes.

MG: Yes. Oh yes.

- the cargo ship surrounded by a couple of other space ships -

MG:This was… this shot was my idea. We were trying to… We were stuck on how do you, like… How do you show that that’s a hard ship to get to? And I was like: “ Oh, we just pull back and there’s hundreds of ships.” And everyone was like: “Oh yeah, great!”

JM: FIVE ships!

MG: And I was like: “Oh, is that it?”

- back on the base in the conference room -

WW: I got in trouble for that.

JM: Sorry.

WW: Hands in the pockets. [Landry]

MG: Oh, really?

WW: Yeah, I got my hands slapped.

MG: He’s not allowed to have his hands in his pockets?

WW: No, no hands in the pockets.

JM: Why not?

MG: Why is that?

WW: I guess there is an Air Force watch dog that watches and that’s not something that an officer would do - on the base. Hands on hips, hands in front but not hands in pockets.

JM: But… By the way, the table, very interesting. I remember talking to Martin [I suppose director Martin Wood] about this in the commentary on “Ex Deus”. But whenever I go up to the… up to check out the briefing room… This table looks so impressive, you know, on film. But when you go to see it it’s chipped. You know there are pieces missing and it’s looking pretty beat up.

MG: There’s a giant seam in the middle.

WW: The carpet’s covered with coffee stains.

MG: But that’s the magic of television, Joe. I mean it’s..

JM: Yeah it is.

MG: You know the SGC is actually not one of the sets, that… It’s like this. You’re actually walking on the SGC set and you’re like: “I buy that. This place is real.” I mean, it’s an amazingly detailed set to the point where you feel, like, its concrete and everything. Whereas you walk into the Atlantis set and you’re like: (disappointed voice) “It’s all just wood!” It’s kinda funny to see… You know, once a year we open the doors to the fans. Usually at the end of March when there’s a science-fiction convention up here. And it’s fun to kinda watch people walk through and be like: “It’s so small!” But the gate is actually hue. The gate always reads smaller on TV than it is.

JM: And in case of the SG1 gate it actually moves.

MG: True.

- Vala and Daniel in his office -

WW: This was a very fun scene.

MG: Oh, the whole glasses breaking?

WW: Yeah.

MG: I remember..

WW: Claudia jumping on the table was very funny. In the edit, you know, we don’t have sound effects, we don’t have music, we don’t have any of that. And so… I don’t know whether it was you or the editor… But in the first cut it came back and there was this giant title that just said “CRUNCH” for the glasses. And we could never, the sound effect just never lived up to that “CRUNCH”.

MG: Stein, the editor, typed in that.
      This is a perfect extras casting, by the way.

- Vala winks at the female guard -

*they all laugh*

WW: I watch this now and I just wish I was closer, wider.

JM: There was also a take where she winked back.

MG: Really?

WW: You couldn’t tell on the monitor we were watching.

MG: That’s hilarious.
      I just, I’ve never seen a more no-nonsense woman.

JM: Now, interestingly in… The Daniel/Vala relationship is always very, sort of, you know…kind of a love/hate thing. But, you know, a lot of fans reacted to “Beachhead”, which is an episode that plays later where they thought he was actually kind of a jerk to her.

WW: Well, he is. But I think that’s a kinda point in “Beachhead”, you know… is that…

JM: You’re under a lot of stress the situation you’re in? Is that…

WW: No, it’s that she has kinda overstayed her welcome and that he is kind of… You know, they are stuck together. Literally.

JM: Right. I guess it’s just that after…

WW: After six weeks of that or whatever he is… he’s, you know, getting a little snippy. Especially when, you know…

JM: The galaxy is threatened by invasion.

WW: Yeah, exactly.
      It’s gonna be great to have her back. I mean, you know she… You know, in “Beachhead” she went away and...

- Vala hops onto the table and "finds Daniel's glasses -

WW: There it is. “CRUNCH”
      You know, because we, originally we thought six episodes is enough and it would cover Carter being away.

JM: And there was concern quite frankly that… Oh we had two, you know, two actors from Farscape.

WW: Absolutely.

JM: And um.. But I mean, as I always argue, they play two very different characters than they played in Farscape. So I didn’t really see the problem.

MG: Of course, for people like me who’ve never watched Farscape it’s like: “Oh, this is great. Those guys should have their own TV series.” And then later I’ll be like: (excited high voice) “Oh my God, what’s this? This is awesome!”

- Daniel walks down the corridor to his room -

WW: He always reminds me of Charlie Brown in that one.

MG: Now, Joe, how did she get in there?

JM: She… she is a wily rogue. She would find a way.

WW: But didn’t you see the guard as Daniel walked by? She drops her head in shame.

MG: Oh, that’s…

WW: That’s how she got in.

JM: Now, by the way, before any fans start complaining about what she’s wearing. Claudia picked out her outfit for the scene.

WW: Well, I think that’s… We always kinda do that, whenever someone has to wear a quote-unquote revealing outfit…

JM: Right, right.

WW: We always let them go down and just choose whatever they wanna wear.

JM: Exactly.

WW: Because, you know, it’s… The job’s gonna get done, so, I mean, as long as they feel the most comfortable possible.

JM: And it works for her.

WW: Oh yeah, it works great for her. She’s a very attractive lady.

JM: For some strange reason Daniel’s able to resist her advances.

MG: I don’t really understand that.

WW: He considered it for a second there.

WW: “No!” And then the beat.

- Daniel “analyses” Vala’s behavior -

JM: Now…

WW: We’ve all stopped talking. I can’t imagine why.

JM: She was a lot of fun in “Prometheus Unbound” and we, we… Like I said, her character is almost cartoonish in that episode, so we brought here back here and… You know, we’ve made…

MG: What I…

JM: …an effort to sort of kinda humanize her, which is something you did a terrific job of in “The Powers That Be”. Because it’s the first episode where we actually she her as more than a cartoon character.

MG: It’s a group effort. But I mean, you know, I think what…

JM: But this is a moment right here.

MG: … what we were all worried about, I remember when we decide to her on for five and then eventually six, was, you know: “Does the character have enough legs?” I mean, yeah, the character’s super fun. But is that somebody you can just kinda drop in the middle of Stargate, even with a new character like Ben Browder, and become a lead?

WW: Right.

MG: And become not… mess up the dynamic too much to the team and be, as you say, just all jokes and… You know, but in another kind of way it kinda opened a whole door for Stargate, because the character is unabashedly sexual. And that’s something that Stargate really hasn’t gone near. Because, you know, we are a family show and so it’s hard to kinda walk that line. But I think you do it, you know, quite…QUITE DEFTLY, sir!

JM: Oh, thank you.

MG: And of course, brilliantly executed.

JM: And of course… you know, you wanna…you wanna give us, the audience maybe a glimpse into her humanity and then of course you wanna, sort of…take it away right away.

WW: That’s a great score, too. Joel [Goldsmith] did a really great job.
      Last edited by ValaMalduran; 22 April 2006, 02:17 AM.

Comment

JM: Now here we are in Washington. Now, Bruce Gray plays Senator Fisher. And I remember we cast him and we got a call from his agent and he said: “Bruce just wanted to discuss the script a bit.” And we said: “OK”. So Paul actually called…

MG: Which is always a red flag.

JM: Well, he…We got the conference call and we thought, maybe he’d have a few questions about the script, just some. You know, a lot of actors do.

MG: Wanna discuss some changes, maybe.

JM: Essentially he wanted a Stargate primer. So we basically, Paul and I had to give him a run-down. I think we were on the phone with him for, you know…

MG: Over an hour.

JM: Yeah. Giving him, sort of, just kind of an overview over the entire series from Apophis to Zatarc.

MG: Well, because it’s referenced all in the scene. This scene is essentially, you know, kinda summing up what a lot of, I think fans even thought too. They’re like: “You’re done!” You know, Season 8 brought the show to a logical conclusion. Now, just because you wanna do another season: “Oh, new bad guys show up all of a sudden?”

WW: That conference call just helped so much in just my day of making this day, cause… When we get there, I hadn’t met the guy before. He said: “Hi, how are you doing? I’m Bruce. I’ve had my call with Joe and Paul.” And he just hit’s the floor running.

MG: Oh wow.

WW: You know, he didn’t have to go through the whole: “Who are these guys? What are these guys?”

JM: Right. Do you have a lot of trouble with that sometimes?

WW: Sometimes you do, because…

JM: It slows down production?

WW: Absolutely. Because you have to… I mean, they have to know who is the…

JM: It’s like… The actors always need to know what they’re talking about.

MG: How do you pronounce this? What does this mean?

WW: Yeah. It’s… He was fantastic. And after this episode we all decided: “Oh, you know, we should for sure bring him back.” But you know it’s like… You need to find a story for it and um…

JM: There’s Paul’s jokes about Skaara. After, I’m not sure which episode, where… Skaara was originally killed off in the Season 3 episode and then Brad said: “No, no. We can’t kill Skaara off, we wanna bring him, you know, we wanna bring him back.” And then we never brought him back until I think it was “Lost City”. Paul said: “Ah yes, our much beloved character. We don’t wanna kill him off. We’re bringing him back soon.”

MG: Well, the problem was, it’s that we moved away from a kind of… You know, in the old-school Stargate it was always Senate committees and, you know, Vice Presidents and stuff like that. And moved it into the, you know, International Oversight.

JM: Advisory. A little interesting story … We would always refer to it as the “International Oversight Committee”, for the longest time. And then when I went to write the script, I realized that “IOC” really, really wouldn’t fly. It sounded slightly familiar. So we changed it to the “International Oversight Advisory”.

MG: The “IOA”.

WW: This scene’s a little cinematic sleight of hand in that it looks like a nice sunny day with, you know, reflections of cars passing by but it is, like it has been for the last 25 days, pouring rain outside and the darkest, blackest day out those windows.

MG: Was this Pete?

WW: Yeah, Pete Woeste.

MG: That’s a great outfit, too.

WW: That outfit is so small that as she walks forward, she’s gotta have the radio pack behind her in this.

- Vala hops on the table -

WW: And we had to do a switch here for this shot and switch it.

MG: Now, the actress who plays Dr. Fisher’s, Senator Fisher’s assistant, Meesha. I believe she also Senator Kinsey’s assistant in a limousine in…

MG: Wow, that’s deep, man.

JM: … Season 7.

MG: That’s attention to detail.

WW: The girl [JM and MG talk over him]

JM: The fans love this kind of stuff.

MG: Her?

JM: Yes.

- back on the base -

MG: Well, that was a thing, too, you know. I remember when we were breaking this. You know, we kinda backed them into a corner and we wanted them to make it impossible and so dangerous. And I think, you know, cause Paul was out of the room and that’s usually his job. So I took the burden on and I was like: “Well, wait a second. If it’s just gonna wear off [the effect of the bracelets] eventually, we think. Why would we go through such an elaborate, dangerous plan to try to restore, you know, get the ship and then return the ship?” And then Joe was like: “Trust me. Once I write that scene, Landry’s gonna want them off the base immediately.”

JM: Now…

WW: The park we always shoot at in Surrey.

JM: See, now we establish that they’re on this other planet. Now, later on there’s another scene that I really loved that we had to cut for time.

WW: Oh yeah.

JM: And that comes when Tenat and Jup get the drop on Teal’c and Mitchell. And they’re asking him: “What’s your name?” And he said, you know: “Cam Mitchell, bounty hunter.

WW: Grabbed Thor the Hammer.

JM: And, yeah, Tenat says: “Never heard of you.” And Mitchell says: “You know, I’ve tracked down and captured some of the most, you know, horrible villains in this galaxy. Moesha the Vile, the Olsen Twins from Luton 9.” Tenat was like: “ No, never heard of them.”

MG: That was a great pass off by the way, Will.

WW: That only took about fourteen takes.

MG: I bet.

WW: I was getting pretty steamed at our steady cam operator at that point.

MG: You’re always like: “Ha, one will be great.” And then: “Didn’t hardly work out that way.”

WW: It’s certainly hard to do.

JM: You know, it’s funny. I always read in the message boards whenever I’m going online. And a lot of people complain about the fact that Teal’c never as anything to do, Teal’c is sort of a background player. And I just found out from Martin yesterday that according to Chris, who presumably has counted all his lines, he’s ad more to do in the past, I think year, than in the first, I think, five years combined.

WW: Really?

JM: Yeah, in terms of dialogue. He’s a little light in this episode.

MG: Well, it’s because he’s moved into kind of almost a senatorial position. And so he really does give those kind of long speeches now to the fellow Jaffa.

JM: He’s not just the muscle.

WW: The enforcer.

JM: I remember Morris Chapdelaine, who is under the Tenat make-up, walking by my office when we were prepping this episode. And I know Morris, because he is also one of the puppeteers. he works with Thor and the other Asgard puppets. And I didn’t know who the heck he was, when he dropped, when he came by wearing the full make-up. He’s like: “Hey Joe!” And I of course, not to be rude, I just responded: “Hey!” And thought: “That alien looks familiar. I know I’ve seen him somewhere before.”
        [comparing the pronunciations] Joop - Jup.

WW: Joop - Jup.

JM: Whatever.

WW: What’s hard for these guys, when they’re actually on the set doing their dialogue is, because of the way their suits are stuck to their lips, to give the face any movement they have to really pronounce things weirdly and talk very strangely.

JM: Right. Which is essentially why we had to…

MG: Re-voice the characters. Yeah.

JM: Now, can they see out of their eyes?

WW: They… Only to a very limited amount. There’s a tiny slit that they can see.

- wide angle shot of the park, sorry, alien planet -

WW: Some mallards, some geese.

JM: Some alien mallards.

MG: I was giving a talk to some fans and they were like: “Oh, you made a mistake because a, you put a buck sound in that’s only indigenous to Seattle.” And I was like: (mock incredulous) “For real?”

- close-up of Tenat -

WW: I think underneath the eyes there’s a hole.

MG: I think they can’t even…

WW: A tiny hole.

JM: Now there’s another scene that actually was cut from the first draft, that actually you never saw. Which involved Tenat and Jup.

MG: Oh God.

JM: Actually, Jup was at the controls. You can’t see Tenat.

MG: I can’t believe you actually wanted to do that on the show. We thought it was a joke.

JM: Well, everybody always asks: “Where are the bathrooms on these cargo ships?” And we have Jup and he’s steering. And he gets a signal and he goes: “ Tenat, Tenat!” And the doors open to the back and he’s doing up his pants. And then he reaches back and he hit’s the controls and the rings beam whatever was there off.

WW: Hilarious.
        When Tenat and Jup fly in he says: “How many life signs?” And he says: “Four.” I did one take, I think I put it in my cut. Because they only have three fingers on their hand. I thought it’s kinda funny that he holds up three and goes: “Four life signs.” But that didn’t stay.
        Last edited by ValaMalduran; 22 April 2006, 02:19 AM.

Comment

- the cargo ship appears above Mitchell, Teal’c, Tenat and Jup -

WW: The effects boys weren’t too happy with me for this.

JM: Yeah, this was…

WW: Looking up into the trees.

MG: Yea, that was very difficult.

WW: It’s tricky. They kept saying: “Will, you’ll come to rotoscope this.
          We gotta do more episodes where they wear these long coats.

JM: Yeah. It’s just nice to get them into different outfits.

- Mitchell and Teal’c are transported into the ship, Tenat and Jup get left behind -

WW: (mocking Tenat) Wha..What?!?

- shot of the ship disappearing up into the air -

MG: I was a big promoter of having that.

WW: Absolutely.

JM: Their plan worked perfectly. The End.

WW: Slumpy shoulders. Awww…

JM: And now 10 minutes of commercials before…

- Tenat activates a device -

MG: A flashing light. You know that can’t be good.

JM: Of course, the light was them leaving the planet’s atmosphere.

MG: Well, originally of course, you remember, this whole sequence was far, far more complicated than it needed to be.

JM: Well, you mean… than it needed to be.

MG: And ridiculously expensive.

JM: It was very cool. But because we didn’t have the money, we pared it down somewhere.

MG: Right, very expensive.

JM: That’s what you wanted to say.

MG: Well, I don’t know if I did say that.

WW: This was a fun visual effects sequence for me, cause I had never done one where I had to tie… Usually you just do a ship passed by something. This one you had to do a whole bunch of tie-ins and have the meeting with the storyboard artist…

MG: Right.

WW: And the visual effects boys to lay it all out. And you get a bunch of coffee cups and move them around and say: “This is the space ship. And here come these spaceships.”

MG: What’s gonna happen.

WW: Just to help visualize. It was a lot of fun.

JM: I would love to bring back ….

MG: Tenat and Jup?

JM: …her buddies. No, actually Inago or Caius.

MG: Oh yeah, that would be fun.

- shot into the cargo ship through the window -

WW: That’s a nice little visual effects shot.

MG: Oh, that’s a great shot. Yeah.

WW: I originally wasn’t gonna do the tie-in, but in the vis effects meeting they said: “You know, if you use a long enough lens, we can make this work.”

JM: It looks great.

WW: I said: “That’s gonna cost more.”

MG: You know, what is great about our visual effects people, are… That they… You know, you would assume that they’re like, they would always choose what was essentially, like me, the least amount of work. I always choose the scripts that are like: “OK, yeah, that’s easy. I’ll do that one.” But they, they always are… They’re main concern is like: “What’s gonna be the coolest?” And, you know…

JM: Sometimes they will beg you: “Please, please give us..”

MG: And we’re like: “We can’t afford that.” And they’ll go: “We’ll do it. Let us try, let us try.”

JM: Actually, I’m sorry… There was one…

WW: In the director’s cut?

JM: Yeah, the director’s cut. Where he’s served, or he’s drinking…

WW: A big pineapple drink?

MG: Why did we cut it?

WW: And ??? [they’re all talking over one another] The pineapple was covered in oil and it was all…

JM: But that was actually Paul. He, he…you know, we, we...

WW: I take in a pineapple in every show.

MG: Why is that? Why a pineapple?

WW: That’s a long story.

JM: What happened to the big wrench? There used to be a big wrench.

WW: That’s Peter. Peter [DeLuise] and Martin [Wood] do the big wrench.

JM: Ok, you do the pineapple. And what does Martin do?

MG: Peter tries to put his name in every episode, right? I mean…

JM: Oh yeah. Or he has to appear in every episode.

MG: In “Affinity” in the candles. I remember there was a big PD. Do you remember?

WW: I did that.

MG: Did you do that?

WW: I did that.

- Arlos tells them that they can only wait for the effect to pass -

WW: All this running around for nothing. He [Arlos] is funny.

MG: Yeah, he’s really great.

- stock footage of the “Cheyenne Mountain Complex” entrance -

MG: Now, are these the new..? These are the new..

WW: That wouldn’t be a new one.

MG: The new ones, right. Because when did those start being phased in? I guess, [episode] six, right? Cause we did it all over some sort of long weekend.

JM: Aren’t we still using…?

MG: What I’m talking about is these establishing shots of Chenyenne Mountain.

JM: What did you call it?

MG: Yeah, Chenyenne. Cheyenne Mountain.

JM: Cheyenne Mountain.

MG: Cheyenne. Chenyenne Cheyenne Chen-Chen Mountain. They’ve been around since Season 1.

MG: We’ve used the same five or six shots.

JM: Every year we keep on saying: “ Oh, we should get more establishing shots.” But then we go: “Oh, you know, it’s the 5th Season, the last year of the show. There’s no point.” And then Season 6 rolls around.

MG: And then finally we were, like, in Season 9 and they’re like: “You know what? Could use some more of those."

WW: And depending on which editor you have, they always use the exact same shot.

MG: Oh really, they have their favorites?

WW: Yeah. Each one has their favorite. You’ve got choice of three.

JM: And of course Teal’c is off. And that is the we see of Teal’c for…

MG: Well, it’s interesting, because, you know, when there was no idea for Season 9. When it looked like Season 8 was gonna be it and there was just discussions about maybe bringing Teal’c over to Atlantis. And everyone was kinda like: “Well, no. The Jaffa are free.” I mean, he’s gotta go and take a place at leadership. And so we were like: “ Yeah, you’re right. And it’s Atlantis.” But then when SG1 got renewed we were like: “Well, that’s gotta be dealt with. And it can’t be cursory. Can’t just be in one episode.” So kind of over the first five or six episodes…

JM: And it’s a great opportunity for Chris.

MG: Yeah, you slowly kind of realize, you know, his place. And the Ori, of course, are a big part of that. Where he realizes the galaxy is still under threat and the place to be is *clicks tongue* right here.

JM: Well, this was a blast.

WW: Thank God you guys were here.

JM: Thank you for coming out. And for the fans, I’m sure you’ll wanna sort of skip directly to “The Powers That Be” , which is gonna be our next commentary.
          WW: Keep watching.
          Last edited by ValaMalduran; 21 April 2006, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ValaMalduran
            Hey!

This is a (quite rough) transcript of the commentary for TTTB.

1) It's extremely hard to tell Martin Gero and William Warring apart, so there might be some inaccuracies to who actually said what. And sometimes I simply couldn't understand what was said.

2) The 'h' on my keyboard is a bit wonky. I appologize for any resulting spelling mistakes, as well for all "normal" mistakes.

3) Corrections and additions welcome.

Enjoy!
            Thanks! Great job!

Comment

I'm glad it was you typical all that out...
              Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Thank you for posting the commentary transcript. I won't get the Season 9 DVDs till the boxset comes out in the UK next February time.

Comment

Thank you very much for posting these commentary transcripts.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Thank you for doing the commentary transcripts. You rock
                        Ben Browder on who'd win a fight, Mitchell or Critchon..."Cameron would have the upper hand until Aeryn kicked his ass."

Comment

Thank you for doing the commentary transcripts. You rock
                          Ben Browder on who'd win a fight, Mitchell or Critchon..."Cameron would have the upper hand until Aeryn kicked his ass."

Comment

You're welcome!

A.

Comment

Question - it's mentioned in the commentary that Vala has a line about Wallace Shawn's character falling asleep and just making assumptions about what happened. I don't recall Vala saying anything like that.

I think it makes a difference about whether Vala says that nothing happened - he was asleep and just assumed (or was led to believe) that they had wild nights of passion - or whether she actually seduced him. How far would Vala go?

FYI - I'm up to Babylon (season 9), so I don't know what happens later on and I'm not interested in being spoiled. But I'm curious about speculation up to this point.

THANKS!
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Working...
                              X