This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No 'Aliens' in the Series Ever?

So far we have only seen the humans, the Cylons and now the Half-Breeds (which has started me thinking of 'V').

Will we get to see any new alien species? Or is RDM's vision that of a universe not teeming with life?

I don't know what the series would accomplish if there were aliens introduced, because for some reason it is still quite serious sci-fi (all religious mythology apart) and introducing some gumball alien race could descend it into farce.

Personally, I'd prefer it if we didn't see any 'alien' aliens.

And I think looking at BSG the past 2 seasons it's a direction that TPTB are unlikely to take. I think it would seem less 'real' [well, as real as a sci-fi show can seem ] if there were 'alien' aliens. I prefer it the way it is now

Comment

a) Edward James Olmos has said the minute there are aliens on the show, he's gone
      b) The show is about people, not aliens
      c) The BSG-verse is clearly not teeming with life. In two years they've only discovered two inhabitable planets, and both times were accidents. And the second one is only barely inhabitable!
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but everytime an alien walks on screen it makes me cringe. In any show. I love Stargate, but eek, sometimes I want to vomit. The "Asgard" are ok, but anything else is annoying. I refuse to watch anything Trek related, or any of the Babylon carnations.

Farscape was the only show I watched that had "true" aliens because they at least had some serious personalities. And who on earth didn't love when ever Rygel was on screen?

The only way I could ever see a viable alien in BSG is if they took the road SG-1 took in the beginning on the MOVIE. Discovering the gods were not who they claiming to be. But then ending it there. No going out and looking for the mystical all-powerful alien race.
        Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

They can have other human colonies perhaps, but it's too late to introduce aliens now.
          "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

I think that it is a strength of the series that there are no 'aliens'.

I do agree also that the major strength of this show is that it is really about character dynamics and relationships. This show does have a heart and is not jokey or camp.

We have even sympathetic bad guys in the form of Baltar.

However...

I do hope they don't make the Cylons all too luvvie duvvie as we need good villains in order for our final payoff and indeed to keep conflict and interest high in the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton
              I don't know about you guys, but everytime an alien walks on screen it makes me cringe. In any show. I love Stargate, but eek, sometimes I want to vomit. The "Asgard" are ok, but anything else is annoying. I refuse to watch anything Trek related, or any of the Babylon carnations.
              Just yesterday I was mocking VOY for having some pretty bad incarnations of aliens. We were remembering the Macrovirus and having a good laugh over it.

There won't be aliens on BSG, thank the Lords of Kobol. If there should happen to be aliens (in the traditional sci-fi sense of the word, of course), I would stop watching the show and never look back.
              Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
              sigpic

Comment

Can't see why there couldn't be alien lifeforms. A habitable planet has to have plants at least to make oxygen.
                sigpic
                I am Zim, Irken Invader Zim. I am responsible for the safe obliteration of the human race, not you!' - Zim - Invader Zim
                'Don't worry, officer. You are in a filthy Earth brain hospital. Your feelings are normal. There's a squid brain in your head! ' - Zim - Invader Zim
                'Now, to unleash screaming temporal doom! ' - Zim -Invader Zim

Comment

Apparently they don't want to have lifeforms that will resemble Earth ones, even though they have mentioned dogs, birds etc... in dialogue.

But if there are humans then why not other species that could evolve on different worlds?

Of course humans on Earth are supposed to come from Kobol and also Darwin's evolutionary theory is blown out of the water by this.

Will be interesting if they ever do bring in lifeforms and try to explain them.

Comment

I've always thought that the lords of kobol were the last of a now (completly) extinct alien race - the ones that gave us the ftl drives (technology which seems innapropriatly advanced compared to the rest of the ship)

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton
                      And who on earth didn't love when ever Rygel was on screen?
                      I prefered Chiana. hee hee hee

Comment

Originally posted by Mika
                        I've always thought that the lords of kobol were the last of a now (completly) extinct alien race - the ones that gave us the ftl drives (technology which seems innapropriatly advanced compared to the rest of the ship)
                        If you watch the mini series you'll know that anything too hi-tec gets killed by cylons. Galactica was designed with this in mind way back when - this from RDM blog:-

"Why is everything so low tech when clearly these humans are so advanced? It seems incongruous."

The plot explanation is that following the Cylon Uprising 40 years ago, Colonial society took a giant step backwards to protect itself from the technological nightmare it had unleashed. With their enemies able to hack into virtually any network, the Colonials had to rely on stand-alone technologies that we not connected to other components. Ships like the Galactica were designed with this in mind, as well as the old military philosophy of building equipment that will function even in the most dire of circumstances. You don't want to be using cordless phones when the ship is hit by a nuke and power is disrupted to say the least. You want something reliable and solid and preferably with a cord.

and you can read the rest of it here - http://blog.scifi.com/battlestar/archives/2005/01/ - scroll to the bottom, it's the last item on the page.

'All of this has happened before
                        And all of this will happen again
                        So say we all.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mika
                          I believe the technical term for that would be "plot device"
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think Cylons, although technically machines, fulfill the role that aliens normally have, and more than perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sauron18
                              I think Cylons, although technically machines, fulfill the role that aliens normally have, and more than perfectly.
                              Seconded
                              sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Working...
                              X