This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time War question

First off, I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before. I ran a search but did not find answer I was looking for.

My question is
    Was the time war and its conclusion (which left the doctor as last of his kind) ever shown or described in the classic series or movie(s)?

If it was, could anyone be kind enough to recap what did happen?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Happy_Gate
    First off, I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before. I ran a search but did not find answer I was looking for.

My question is
    Was the time war and its conclusion (which left the doctor as last of his kind) ever shown or described in the classic series or movie(s)?

If it was, could anyone be kind enough to recap what did happen?

Thanks.
    The time war was never mentioned in the classic series and it's effects have only been seen in the new series, the 9th Doctor hinted at it's causes and effects but it's never been explained fully. I think there is an 8th Doctor book which leads up to the start of it but I couldn't tell you it's name

Comment

the Time War was not a part of the classic series, but it is possible to put the pieces together. The cause dates back to Genesis of The Daleks, when the fourth Doctor went back to stop their creation. It was this that led to the conflict between the two races, it may be that there were other paticipants, but we have no idea. We dont know which races were involved, but we do know that it destroyed many worlds including the Nesteen Consiousness's(sp?) protein worlds on which it fed, and possibly the ghelf's world (though they told so many lies we dont actually know what was true and what wasn't). I think it happened during the 8th Doctor's era, but again we dont know. All that we do know is that it led to the destruction of all but one of the Time Lords and their home world(The Doctor) and most of the Daleks. We also know that whatever happened to end the final battle, the Doctor caused it.

Besides that skeleton of info, we just have to wait over the next few years to figure out what went on, putting it together from whatever Russell gives us, though with this Doctor seeing a lot less torn up over the events of the war than the 9th Doctor, I think its gonna be slim picking for a short while.
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I would love to see a season long story of the Time War, similar to what they did with Trial of a Timelord.

It would be somewhat out of continuity if they went back and got CE/SMc to do it, or perhaps they could have a plausible reason for the DT to be the Doctor for something that happened in his past, pre current regeneration.
        Thanks!
        Jordan

my page
        My LJ
        From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

It would be cool if they did it as flashback, and get Paul Magan(sp) to do the story.
          Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I have a theory about the final battle, regarding what the doctor done, after seeing the parting of the ways, is it possible he used a delta wave and destroyed everything and he escaped in the tardis, just before it went off. Hence the emperor dalek saying "the coward survived".

Comment

Doubt it, he said the Dalek ships burned because of him, a Delta wave couldnt do that, plus I dount he would have been so eager to use that tech again after using it to kill his people, plus if he had used it back then, he would likely have refined it to only kill the Daleks. And as for him being a coward, I just dont see that, I think he did the only thing he could in the situation, otherwise he wouldnt be able to live with himself, whatever he did was a desperate last ditch effort to win the war, not an act of cowardiss.
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.

Comment

THe only thing the Doctor ever ran from was his own people.

Comment

I did mention this in the other thread but I read somewhere that he was ordered to destroy Galifrey by the High Council and I think Romana was the head by then

Comment

Where did you find the infomation

Comment

Oh God I can't remember now, probably the DW site or h2g2

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
                        It would be cool if they did it as flashback, and get Paul Magan(sp) to do the story.
                        Its not going to happen as long as RTD is in charge, although he may do a multi-doctor story.

As for the whole Romana thing, though it isnt canon, yes Im pretty sure I read that too, but that was not in the Time War, that was in one of the 8th Doctor novels, which was followed by several more, so I think it is safe to say that Gallifrey was reborn before later getting destroyed once again.

Comment

I hope to find out more.

Comment

As someone who has pieced it together from just watching the new series, and not by reading any other sites and whatnot, I have formed a bit of an opinion on the subject;

The Time War was fought during the 8th Doctor's reign. In the episode "Rose" it is implied that The Doctor was fairly newly regenerated (The scene ware The Doctor arives at Roses' place and looks into the mirror and says something to the effect, "Could have been worse....but those ears!!").

While fighting the Time War, The Doctor got an upgrade to his TARDIS consule, which is how he is able to control it better then he was in the classic series (although not 100% like he should).

It also occurs to me that it is most likly an order that came from the Time Lords to destroy everything in a last ditch effort in case the Daleks were winning. It occurs to me that the Doctor would be the wisest to make this decision versus The Master or The Rani as he would only have the best interest of The Universe at heart. Even though the decision obviously weighs pretty heavy on his mind in all the episodes, and has haunted him since.

I would still like to see a Time Lord show up just for giggles sometime this season. Not The Master or The Rani, even if it's just The Meddling Monk. This would give The Doctor hope.

Maybe this is what The Face of Boa was wanting to tell The Doctor in the first episode of the second season.......hmmmmmmmm.......
                            My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
                            Build a Dalek
                            Build a TARDIS
                            Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
                            The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

Oh the Master WILL be back, we all know this. If ANY Time Lord is going to survive to crawl out of the wreckage like a cockroach, it's him. Survival is what he does.
                              Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
                              I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
                              What have these years left to me?
                              Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Working...
                              X