Alex Rubit
April 18th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Stargate: Horizon - Season Two
"Convergence"

"Convergence"
Ep: 2.16
Release Date: April 20th 2006
Written by Mike Coakley

Having fully recovered from his injuries, Yusuf Naiyeer returns to Horizon. The celebration of Yusuf's return is cut short, when a mysterious Ancient device has an unusual effect on him.

Alex Rubit
April 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM
The episode thread is now open for discussion. Look for the episode to be released some time around 4pm EST today.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 20th, 2006, 10:50 AM
It was an okay episode, I'd say. Some of the pieces of the plot didn't seem very crucial, unless perhaps they were there for the sake of setting something up for later. Sullivan's presence seemed a little pointless, but whatever. Some cliches were employed for Yusuf's actions (a lot of it seemed to be taken from "Prototype"), which sort of took away from the newness of the experience.
It was good, but it wasn't Horizon at its finest.

Overall: **1/2

lionel_pendergast_rocks
April 20th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Not the easiest to please, are you, colonel?

Elite Anubis Guard
April 20th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Im interested in knowing where he got the link.

And Ryu is impossible to please.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 20th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Uh... it's almost always the same: http://www.stargatehorizon.com/[season #][period][episode number]%20[episode name, spaces included, minus articles].pdf

Anyway, just because I didn't think it was perfect doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it. I've enjoyed just about every Horizon episode I've read so far, but there were some that weren't particularly spectacular in my eyes. Besides, Horizon keeps raising the bar for itself, and there's no way that they can live up to episodes like "Troika," "Valiant," "What Comes Before the Dawn," "The Cold and Distant Stars," "The Devil to Pay," "Path of Revelation, Part III," and "The Adversary" every time.

And no, I'm not impossible to please. ;) I just didn't like this episode as much as others.

Elite Anubis Guard
April 20th, 2006, 02:13 PM
The episode wasnt up when you posted your review...least not for me...interesting.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 20th, 2006, 03:34 PM
That's because of the one or two hour time difference between when the file is uploaded and when its link is actively advertised on the site main page.

Alex Rubit
April 20th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Sullivan's presence seemed a little pointless, but whatever.

I felt early on in the season that it was time that we'd address the fact that Christine is the leading archeologist on Horizon - but at the same time she doesn't have any academic titles. And of course she can't be the only archeologist on the station, so we needed to put her in a situation where she would be confronted with someone who's not all too happy about that fact.

And the idea of connecting that to the pilot (having Sullivan being the guy who almost became a member of the Horizon team) only makes it more interesting. I think everyone can put themselves in his point of view as well - who wouldn't be upset?

Of course the reason that Grant chose Christine over someone with more experience, has to do with him having recognized her special talent ever since he first met her. They've known each other for over six years before "Awakening", and he's always been a great believer in her potential - at times even more than she herself had been. Of course Sullivan wouldn't see it that way.

So, all in all that made for a nice B-plot. And, as I said, it was time to deal with this fact, as otherwise it would have started seeming a bit unrealistic. I think we all felt about it that way.

And when it came to finding an episode to fit this B-plot in, "Convergence" turned out to be the ideal one for it.

Elite Anubis Guard
April 21st, 2006, 12:17 AM
That's because of the one or two hour time difference between when the file is uploaded and when its link is actively advertised on the site main page.
Meh, you went into the directory itself.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
April 21st, 2006, 06:30 AM
No, I just typed in the URL for the episode, and read it. No directory involved, I just knew what the URL would be.

captainpash
April 21st, 2006, 12:59 PM
You cheat

Elite Anubis Guard
April 21st, 2006, 01:13 PM
Meh, nothing wrong with it. I found a CG image of Horizion by roaming their directories.

Anyway, good episode. I enjoyed it, rather liked some of the backstory about Chris and was good to see Yasuf back.

mentalmichael
April 21st, 2006, 02:39 PM
Meh, nothing wrong with it. I found a CG image of Horizion by roaming their directories.

Seriously? If Alex doesn't mind I'd love to see that (I'm still basically picturing DS9 for Horizon :o )

Also, I liked this episode. However, one question - do we now have a working ZPM?

SierraGulf1
April 21st, 2006, 07:25 PM
Glad that it's being enjoyed for the most part.

As for the ZPM, it appears for now that the ZPM has been set to overload, so it isn't really usable. Perhaps in the future we can return to fix it?

SierraGulf1
April 23rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
It was an okay episode, I'd say. Some of the pieces of the plot didn't seem very crucial, unless perhaps they were there for the sake of setting something up for later. Sullivan's presence seemed a little pointless, but whatever. Some cliches were employed for Yusuf's actions (a lot of it seemed to be taken from "Prototype"), which sort of took away from the newness of the experience.
It was good, but it wasn't Horizon at its finest.

Overall: **1/2

Well, it was mainly a stand alone episode that basically celebrated the return of Yusuf, so I suppose certain parts wouldn't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

As Alex said, we had been thinking of a foil for Christine for quite some time, and this is when we decided to put him in. Later I brought up the idea that perhaps he and Christine could be secluded in some sort of peril. Even if you believed his prescense to be pointless, I don't think anyone really intends for him to be a one-off character. This episode merely introduced him and characterized him a tad bit, and I'm sure there's more for him later on.

As for the cliched superhuman plot, I can't argue with that. We tried to stay away from similarities to "Prototype" (it was considered Yusuf stop bullets, but that was scrapped due to similarities), but I'm sure some things showed through. It was just fun to tell an old fashioned sci-fi story, however cliched it might be. :daniel:

Your comments are appreciated as usual. While you say that you didn't find it mind-boggling, I'm glad you did get some enjoyment out of it. :)

Anyway, good episode. I enjoyed it, rather liked some of the backstory about Chris and was good to see Yasuf back.

Thanks for the comments as well. I'm sure we'll be seeing him a bit more from now on, although it would appear he's gotten promoted from his former position of "gate slave" that Sen'rel aka Vorian Technician has adopted.

Seriously? If Alex doesn't mind I'd love to see that (I'm still basically picturing DS9 for Horizon )

Also, I liked this episode. However, one question - do we now have a working ZPM?

As usual, thanks for the compliments. Alex had the station as his MSN icon for quite some time, so I'm sure he'd show you. It's an old unfinished model, though, but it does look pretty cool.

cheese
January 19th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Yusuf;s return is a welcome one.

A lot of good points to this one. Poor Yusuf! Getting knocked out and messed around on his first day back, the guy has terrible luck!

The device mystery was handled well, as was the build up to Yusuf's changes.

The party scene was great, I like how we're seeing the characters off the job more this season, adds a bit of depth.

The episode was good overall, two interesting threats (Yusuf and the ZPM). Grant's choice to bring Christine onboard is even more interesting in light of what happened to Sullivan. It does make me wonder how Grant knows Christine is a super-genius, despite her lack of academic achievement. The backstory to this decision is an interesting route that I hope the series pushes into. On the face of it it LOOKS like Grant was merely playing favourites to his friend. Christine has proven herself now, but in which ways were these qualities shown before she signed up for the mission?

A good balance of character, the rather cliched enhanced-human plot can be mostly forgiven because of the light it shone on the other characters.

jelgate
December 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I have to say I did read this episode but didn't get around to a review because I was watching Atlantis. I'll just say I liked how we got devlopment out of reccuring character. I got to take a break from reading Horizon to study for finals but I'll be back on Thursday to critize/praise your episodes

Alex Rubit
December 10th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I got to take a break from reading Horizon to study for finals but I'll be back on Thursday to critize/praise your episodes

Looking forward to that.

By the way, I noticed you never posted a review for "What Comes Before The Dawn..." I was just curious what you thought about that episode.