X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG1 - RDA - The Beaumont Enterprise: RDA referenced in article

From The Beaumont Enterprise (Beaumont, TX):

http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/si...d=512556&rfi=6

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Who will get into playoffs?

By: PERRYN KEYS, The Enterprise 04/18/2006

Never was a big fan of Richard Dean Anderson.

Maybe it was the super-mullet hair growing out of his head, or the way he seemed to save the universe from certain doom in 60 minutes or less.

If you're older than, say, 20, you probably remember "MacGyver," the television show in which Anderson's eponymous character could seemingly build a bridge, create massive explosions and clean out your bathroom with little more than a Swiss Army knife.

I'd like to think MacGyver's biggest contribution wasn't to television history (it's pretty bad when Nick at Nite won't return your phone calls, Richard), but to the English language.

You see, for a short time in the late 1980s and early '90s, this TV hero's name became more than a noun. It also morphed into a verb, as in: "Dude, I've got a few hundred yards of blue tarp and a couple of two-by-fours. What do you want me to do, MacGuyver this roof together?"

You get the idea.

There's a point to all this, and it does indeed involve high school baseball, in particular.

Precious few games remain for most teams in Southeast Texas, and a handful of them have fallen a bit too deeply in their district's standings.

Only three teams from each district will march into the postseason, and as the end of April draws nearer, some of them are on the brink of falling out of the playoff race. It wouldn't hurt for them to MacGyver something together - perhaps a potent mix of clutch pitching and timely hitting.

It would behoove them, however, to use an aluminum bat instead of a Swiss Army knife. A look at some of the hottest local district races:

**snippity doo-dah**

The real race is for the second and third playoff berths, where three teams are duking it out. Hamshire-Fannett (5-2) has the best chance of finishing in second, while Hardin-Jefferson (4-3) currently sits in third.

West Orange-Stark (3-4) is only a game out of third place and is still very much alive. But the Mustangs have what appears to be the toughest road to the playoffs: They face Hamshire-Fannett on Friday and finish up their season against mighty Bridge City.

The Mustangs, perhaps more than any other local team, are in need of a MacGyver miracle.

Otherwise, they'll wind up lost in space - just like Richard Dean Anderson, the TV actor who made the MacGyver's name famous.

Poor guy wound up in "Stargate SG-1."

He's in syndication. On a spaceship.

And he's not even a Trekkie.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Originally posted by morjana
    Otherwise, they'll wind up lost in space - just like Richard Dean Anderson, the TV actor who made the MacGyver's name famous.
    Well, somebody ain't a big Stargate fan. Geez, harsh...

Comment

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana
      Hmm? For someone who probably fancies themself as intelligent, should perhaps check their facts before putting something in print
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
        Hmm? For someone who probably fancies themself as intelligent, should perhaps check their facts before putting something in print
        wouldn't be at all surprised he's received hate mail from more rabid fans....

Comment

Originally posted by prion
          wouldn't be at all surprised he's received hate mail from more rabid fans....
          Or perhaps polite letters from ordinary fans informing him of his mistakes?
          sigpic

Comment

I seriously doubt I will get a response, but this the note I sent in response to this article...

In regards to your article “Who will get into playoffs?” written in the Beaumont Enterprise on April 18th, 2006 perhaps you should have done a bit more research before you made the following comments:

“Otherwise, they'll wind up lost in space - just like Richard Dean Anderson, the TV actor who made the MacGyver's name famous.
            And he's not even a Trekkie. “

I understand you were trying to be witty in your article, but there are millions of fans each week who are truly grateful that RDA was not and has never been a Trekkie; because if he had been, his show probably would never have made it to its tenth season on the SCI-FI network. Perhaps instead of trying to put the man’s career down in order to make your cheesy point, you should have used the fact that this poor guy as you called him has managed to help his lowly syndicated television series to become the longest running Sci-Fi show in North American history as well as the longest running series on cable television, surpassing both the X-files and Star Trek.

But I suppose that wouldn’t have been as humorous now would it?

Sincerely,
            Katrina
            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 21 April 2006, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              I seriously doubt I will get a response, but this the note I sent in response to this article...

In regards to your article “Who will get into playoffs?” written in the Beaumont Enterprise on April 18th, 2006 perhaps you should have done a bit more research before you made the following comments:

“Otherwise, they'll wind up lost in space - just like Richard Dean Anderson, the TV actor who made the MacGyver's name famous.

I understand you were trying to be witty in your article, but there are millions of fans each week who are truly grateful that RDA was not and has never been a Trekkie; because if he had been, his show probably would never have made it to its tenth season on the SCI-FI network. Perhaps instead of trying to put the man’s career down in order to make your cheesy point, you should have used the fact that this poor guy as you called him has managed to help his lowly syndicated television series to become the longest running Sci-Fi show in North American history as well as the longest running series on cable television, surpassing both the X-files and Star Trek.

Sincerely,
              Katrina

Well done -- excellent letter.

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I used to live in Beaumont. When I first started to read the article, I thought it was about trying to fix all the damaged roofs following Hurricane Rita. Everyone still has blue tarps on their roofs. Baseball? Didn't see that coming.

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
                  Or perhaps polite letters from ordinary fans informing him of his mistakes?
                  Probably those too, I'm sure, but knowing how nasty some fans can be in protecting 'their' actors in this fandom, I'm sure a few singed the guy's computer monitor ANd I'm not pointing fingers, but I've seen some of these letters and comments from fans!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

Sincerely,
                    Katrina

Well said Katrina The guy that wrote this article sounds like a complete butt munch !!! who need's to get his fact's straight before he start's mouthing off !! Especially when ragging on someone from a fadom that's as much loved as this one I've gotta feeling the hate mail will be coming in fast and free for this guy !!

Comment

Well you can't take him seriously when he can't get his facts straight. Spaceship indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                        Probably those too, I'm sure, but knowing how nasty some fans can be in protecting 'their' actors in this fandom,
                        **cough**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

**cough**

What? You wrote one of those letters? Might want to take a cough drop.

Comment

Working...
                          X