This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Beckett in season 3?

Ok forgive me but all these spoilers and not one bloody mention of Dr Beckett???? Fan's are harping on about backstory for characters, the promise of more team interaction, spoilers for eps focusing on characters neglected in season 2 and not one mention of Beckett. Is he even in this season??? Or did TPTB change thier minds over the whole regular thing (forgive me but I didn't quite see the proof of that in s2, quite the opposite in fact)! The actor went from recurring to regular on paper and regular to more recurring on screen...hell he was almost background sometimes, with the occassional highlight!!!!!!

Eps that SHOULD have had him in...didn't aka GuP...did not McKay say he needed a stop in the Infirmary????? Eps that SHOULD have focused or had a pivotal role for the character DIDN'T. Can anyone say Instinct??? Conversion??? and top of the list MICHAEL!!!! In fact Beckett was BARELY in 'Michael' which should have been tour de force Carson and at least shown the effect is disasterous end had on the poor man but as usual we got BUGGER ALL. To be perfectly honest, his role in that ep was little more then a plot device with very little particiation in the STORY itself. So what should have been a kick ass ep was IMHO...disappointing. Dont get me wrong Connor did a great job (and it was great seeing more of Teyla), but the show should be about its REGULAR characters, not the bloody guest stars.

I just dont get it, for a character TPTB say they, and I quote 'love', 'Carson' has taken a step BACK in s2 in terms of character development, with so much changing for him but no explanation or affect of his actions being shown barring the odd throw away snippet of dialogue. Thank god Paul McG can convery so much emotion and depth without words otherwise with the character going so much against his established grain...no one wouild give a s$@t about him anymore. And you can put in as many little snippets of dialogue you like, if I wanted to hear it I'd listen to a radio play, this is TV I WANT TO SEE IT!!!!!!

And if you wonna talk backstory, what do we know of Carson? He's a proud Scot, he misses his mum....er....help me here people....I canna think of anything else. We know plenty about Shep and McKay (and theres alread promise of at least 1 ep with more backstory...and Ronon AND Weir...which is great!)...BUT WHAT ABOUT CARSON?? And Teyla??? Infact, I cant remember seeing 1 spoiler or even mention of Carson of any bloody significance for s3 yet!!!!!

We've not even seen his bloody quarters!!! AND MORE IMPORTANTLY we've not seen a SINGLE REAL PERSONAL moment that shows the repurcussions of the retrovirus. WTF was the point in making a character a regular (whole heartedly welcomed and deservedly so) to have him relegated to less story partipation then the previous season??? My biggest concern being you've established a character whose two main aspects are his strong human compassion and moral character especially when it comes to medical ethics. Yet everything goes to hell and how does he react? Well we wouldn't know because WE NEVER SEE ANYTHING!!!! He's BROKEN the hypocratic oath multiple times for crying out loud! Come on! Its nuts, the retrovirus was such an integeral part of the story arc, its crazy his character wasn't more involved!

Ok rant over, I AM looking forward to S3 especially with what Rob C has said about focusing on character interactions (though he also said originally there would be minimal crossover AND SGA would stand apart from SG1 AND it would...well we just wont go there). I'm an optimistic realist so I'm willing to give it a chance but I'm not holding my breath!

SO PROVE ME WRONG PTB!
    Last edited by TJuk; 19 April 2006, 04:43 AM.

I'm sorry, TJuk, I thought you understood: IN PTB speak, "character moments" means "More kirking for Shep, more b****ing from McKay and... uh, that's it for the team, right?" [/sarcasm]

We'll get our "character moments" I'm sure, but I'm guessing they'll only be token bits, added so the producers can be proud of themselves for having added character moments.

I know a lot of folks were psyched to have Carson made a regular, but IMO he was better off as recurring- at least the stuff he DID get was good and there were no false expectations of him being in more scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      I'm sorry, TJuk, I thought you understood: IN PTB speak, "character moments" means "More kirking for Shep, more b****ing from McKay and... uh, that's it for the team, right?" [/sarcasm]

We'll get our "character moments" I'm sure, but I'm guessing they'll only be token bits, added so the producers can be proud of themselves for having added character moments.

I know a lot of folks were psyched to have Carson made a regular, but IMO he was better off as recurring- at least the stuff he DID get was good and there were no false expectations of him being in more scenes.
      I think there's a lot of generalizations here. Spoilers, as always, are incomplete. I'm sure Beckett's gonna be in the show, as is Teyla, who hasn't gotten much mention in the spoiler category either.

However, character moments will depend upon who's writing. Some writers, I trust to do good. Others, well, I wish they'd stick with SG1 and leave SGA alone....

Comment

Eps that SHOULD have had him in...didn't aka GuP...did not McKay say he needed a stop in the Infirmary????? Eps that SHOULD have focused or had a pivotal role for the character DIDN'T. Can anyone say Instinct??? Conversion??? and top of the list MICHAEL!!!!

Yes, but as always, that's left to the imagination. In fact, Stargate itself has a bad habit of leaving all that kind of recovery to the imagination. After all, Daniel descends, finds out all that happens, and everything is hunky dory in the next episode because he works through it in the stuff that isn't ever filmed or aired.. Sigh.

We've not even seen his bloody quarters!!! AND MORE IMPORTANTLY we've not scene a SINGLE REAL PERSONAL moment that shows the repurcussions of the retrovirus.

Don't recall seeing Weir's quarters eihter. Shep's, yes. McKay - the man has a lot of plaques on the wall! Ronon, nope. Ford, one snippet. You probably won't see Beckett's quarters unless there's a darned good reason to see it (with SHep, he's hiding in "Conversion"; McKay, crashing in "Duet", etc.). As for the repercussion of the retrovirus.... yes, would be nice to see something mentioned but I think the writers think they're past that point, so why bother? Sigh.

Comment

I have to admit that I'm biased here. Beckett is very much my favourite character. But I do think it is sad that there is a certain lack of balance in giving the characters screen time, and defining moments in the shows.

TPTB along with the actors have created some wonderful characters in this show, and we, as fans, want to find out more about those characters and to see more of what they do.

Where I think the show works best is where the characters are interacting with each other, all of them, not just one or two. When it is truly an ensemble cast, they all get a chance to shine.

I hope the "character moments" do happen for all of them. And if that does happen, I think the show will be much better for it.

Comment

No doubt about it- the characters will be better, the show will be better, and the fans will be a little happier (theoretically) with some more in-depth character development. IMO, anyway.

I think it's a bit insulting that Beckett seemed to get more screen time and development as a recurring character than he has as a regular. Or he may have had more appearances in S2, but I wouldn't say we learned an awful lot more about him.

Comment

[rant]
              I know that being made a regular character was probably better for Paul McGillion in terms of career security & stability (and, I assume, in terms of compensation) but making him a regular character has been BAD for his fans! I completely agree that we saw more of him in more meaningful ways when he was a recurring character in Season 1.

I know that the Stargate writers have NEVER been good at backstory & character development for anything but the "lead" characters, but the point of an ensemble show (especially one that started out with no really big "name" actors!) is to have more than one or two characters who are important to the show & the story! Apparently, the Stargate writers (who have turned out some brilliant stories over the years, don't get me wrong!) missed the "Character Development 101" class in school. Grrrrrrr...

What really upset me about Season 2 (and the list has more than one item on it, TRUST ME!!!!) is that Atlantis had all these wonderful characters who weren't getting enough development and screen time in Season 1 and, instead of building on what they had in Season 1, they added MORE characters that they can NOT develop and NOT give enough meaningful scenes to... [sarcasm] makes perfect sense to me! [/sarcasm]

Note to SGA writers: It wasn't broken in Season 1, you shouldn't have tried to fix it!

Grrrrr...

[/rant]

Comment

I'd say he's in at least a few episodes of season three.

Comment

Number of total episodes...
                  Season 1 - 16/20 l Season 2 - 16/20
                  Winner = Draw (so no change there!)

Number of Beckett Centric eps
                  Season 1 - Poisoning the Well l Season 2 - BUGGER ALL
                  Winner = Season 1

Compare the fact that out of the season 2 eps he is in, only Seige, Duet, Instinct, Conversion, Michael and Coup D'Etat had Beckett as truely part of the A or B storyline. In fact Seige, The Hive, Epiphany, Inferno and Allies though they have some great scenes, he's got minimal participational. In fact a lot of the time he's the 'comic relief', which as much as I love it, 'Carson/Paul' is far more then that!!! As for Runner, Intruder and Trinity he got 1 or 2 scenes with a couple of lines in total???? Thats A LOT less compared to season 1!!!

Lorne and Caldwell, recurring characters, aren't that far behind for screen/story time in season 2 which is NUTS. Dont get me wrong, I like them both, they add a nice element of depth, but like Unowho said, if you cant use ALL of your main characters WTF is the point bringing in new ones?????

I think Carson suffers from 'nice guy' syndrome, everyone 'loves' him, so you just know he's gonna get screwed over and come last! Shame because Paul McGillion is a bloody talented actor (anyone whose seen 'See Grace Fly' will know that, maybe the PTB should take a look!!), he is capable of soooooo much more and could bring that gravitas that personally, I think was severely lacking last year. Fine, if you wonna do homage (aka ripoff) and formulaic plots, then use your actors more wisely to add that extra element that will lift/ set the story apart from what came before. To be honest the reason Carson is one of the most popular characters on the show (something NOT reflected in his story participation...so much for TPB paying attention to the fans eh??), and the reason he's got as much depth to him as he does, is because the actor puts so much effort into the role. Hell the only reason we get to see him sometimes is because when it comes to a silent reaction shot, Carson/Paul's got it nailed!
                  Last edited by TJuk; 18 April 2006, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Yeah Paul McGillion is indeed a fine actor and I understand what you are trying to say. I do hope we get to see a lot more of Carson. I hope that at least 1 episode will be about him where we learn much more of his personal life.
                    Lord Zedd

Comment

Hell the only reason we get to see him sometimes is because when it comes to a silent reaction shot, Carson/Paul's got it nailed!
                      Your comment there made me think. I realised how often a scene in which Carson is involved ends with a reaction shot from him. I think that is one of his great strengths - he conveys so much without having to say a word.

I think TPTB would be wise to use him in the character building moments. People relate well to Carson, both main characters and guests. He is a character that others tend to open up with. So even if we don't get to know more about Carson, hopefully he will be involved in drawing others out.

Comment

I think bringing him more into the foreground might mean changing the storytelling for Atlantis a bit, which on itself could be good. Because then you would need more exploration going wrong kinda stories, cause basically he fixes humans(iods) and oversees medical things.
                        What I think as a solution for the Beckett character is that he needs a sidekick, just like Zelenka is for McKay, this creates a more personal perspective, more angles for a bit of a backstory on Beckett.

just my 3 cents

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine_nl
                          I think bringing him more into the foreground might mean changing the storytelling for Atlantis a bit...
                          Going on a tangent here, but if they'd have to change the focus/means of storytelling in order to "accomodate" Carson (and yes, I know that isn't what you meant, exactly) then they never should have made him regular cast in the first place. Did they think they could simply ADD a character all willy nilly and then not do anything about it?? Actually, I'm sure they did.

TPTB need to roll with the punches they deal us. And they need to be willing to ADAPT to the changes they themselves are making.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine_nl
                            I think bringing him more into the foreground might mean changing the storytelling for Atlantis a bit, which on itself could be good. Because then you would need more exploration going wrong kinda stories, cause basically he fixes humans(iods) and oversees medical things.
                            What I think as a solution for the Beckett character is that he needs a sidekick, just like Zelenka is for McKay, this creates a more personal perspective, more angles for a bit of a backstory on Beckett.

just my 3 cents
                            Why???? Why would involving his character more change the storylines? Is not the MAJOR story arc this year medically/genetically based, the retrovirus, and therefore should already have Beckett heavily involved??

This is what frustrates me so much about the whole thing. Beckett created the retrovirus, he's the one doing the tests, NOT to mention the fact that of the character we knew from s1, what he's doing is against his grain UNLESS we genuinely (and not just one little throw away seen) see the personal consquences, we should see how its CHANGING him for better or worse, I want to see the development!

Heck If ANY character is more centrally involved with the retrovirus ars, its Carson AND for that matter Weir for making the decisions. But neither character has been majorly involved in any of the eps focusing on it, even the ones city based. I could understand if Paul/Beckett were a guest star or even recurring and not always available, however he is credited as MAIN CAST (not that Scifi or MGM treat him as such when it comes to promoting the series in print, on screen or online) and therefore, rather then saying 'Beckett did this, Beckett did that', why the hell do we not see it????????

What is such the big deal with us SEEING the character anyway? Its almost like they're worried he's gonna become more popular which means then they might have to get off their collective butts and start writing more for a character not named Sheppard or McKay. And yes lets face it, while both McKay and Sheppard are arguable central to the show and its success, they're not the be all and end all of it. The ONLY thing that comes to mind (and Martin Gero has said it himself) is that they love to write them, its EASY for them to write those characters. And while I know they say 'write what you know' its getting a little too much and the story and quality of the show is suffering as a result.

And as to the last part, Beckett is MORE then just his job description and when it comes to backstory (which I'll happily forgo if he gets more involved with the overall storylines) I want to know about the man himself NOT his bloody career!!!!!
                            Last edited by TJuk; 18 April 2006, 09:56 AM.

Comment

It's not that about the retro i was talking about, the writers chose to write Beckett in a way that he flows with the red line in the story, that's fine, but he doesn't have a background, nothing personal, except that he's a good guy.

ShadowMaat I agree with what you said btw lol

Comment

Working...
                              X