This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth - Atlantis gate.

Ok. I have just re-watched Avenger 2.0 and it made me think about something. The gatenetwork Updates it self once every 100 or 200 years or so. To take Planetary drift into account. but. how can it update with the Atlantis gate (i assume thats the only gate in the pegasus galaxy you can dail from our galaxy) when No DHD's got the power required to dail Atlantis.? I smell a plothole...

And IF any gates in the milkyway system is able to dail pegasus.. Then would that not mean that when the Avenger 2.0 virus where screwing with the system. it would have ruined the pegasus gate system too.

Exactly what you said, it can't connect. That's why nothing in the Pegasus Galaxy was affected. By the time we connected with Atlantis, the problem was already solved, so no harm was done. However, I do see what you're saying, how can we connect if the planetry drift stuff never got updated?

Yup, plothole.
    Last edited by Jumper One; 17 April 2006, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikmi
      Ok. I have just re-watched Avenger 2.0 and it made me think about something. The gatenetwork Updates it self once every 100 or 200 years or so. To take Planetary drift into account. but. how can it update with the Atlantis gate (i assume thats the only gate in the pegasus galaxy you can dail from our galaxy) when No DHD's got the power required to dail Atlantis.? I smell a plothole...

And IF any gates in the milkyway system is able to dail pegasus.. Then would that not mean that when the Avenger 2.0 virus where screwing with the system. it would have ruined the pegasus gate system too.
      Well, It could be that the gates in the pegasus galaxy are a bit more advanced than the ones in our galaxy, so the virus might not work, and who says that you can't reach pegasus without extra power from our galaxy, if you would use a gate at the edge of our galaxy, nobody tried it before, maybe you have to use another galaxy that is inbetween to go there, so it's like flying from London to New York, get on another plane and then straight on to Mexico. See where i'm heading? Who says that you have to have a direct connection, why not use other gates as airports the closer you get, the less energy is required to get there, right?
      just my 2 cents

Comment

I`d have to rewatch Before I Sleep to be sure but I seem to recall that Janus said he had modified the Atlantis Stargate to only accept a connection from Earth, so other Stargates may be able to dial Atlantis with extra power, they just wouldn`t connect. After this initial Earth connection, it would accept other incoming wormholes.

Also the Atlantis gate seems to be the only one in Pegasus that can connect to MW because its the only one with an intergalactic control crystal. It is unknown if the MW network is the same (requires the intergalactic crystal) or if this was just something they built into the Pegasus network for security after the MW network had already been established.

We will probably never find out for sure. Maybe they will clear it up in the future.

But as far as the correlative updates go, I think that it just a plothole. I think Wolverine has come up with the most plausible explanation though.
        Prometheus = X-303/BC-303
        Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev = BC-304/DSC-304

END OF ARGUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

well seeng as the Pegasus gates are/look more advanced than the milky way gates and they were placed during the time of the wraith, maybe they are set up with some sort og anti-virus stuff i.e maybe they just guage their location based on the sorrounding stars and stuff.
          different tech means tha the software that works on one might not work on the other. Like putting Windows on a macintosh machine.

Comment

Originally posted by kennaway
            well seeng as the Pegasus gates are/look more advanced than the milky way gates and they were placed during the time of the wraith, maybe they are set up with some sort og anti-virus stuff i.e maybe they just guage their location based on the sorrounding stars and stuff.
            different tech means tha the software that works on one might not work on the other. Like putting Windows on a macintosh machine.
            Didn't i mention this already LOL

About that control crystal, you are right about that, unless they start figuring out how that tech works exactly, I'm not sure they do.

Comment

Let's assume that this wasn't a plot hole

Perhaps opening a wormhole between stargates in different galaxies might not require planetary drift calculation. Maybe just having the 8th chevron in the address identifying the galaxy would be enough to get a lock.

It could work like this. When a stargate in the MW is dialing into a stargate (target gate) in the Pegasus galaxy, it reads the 8th chevron first. Once it identifies the galaxy, it queries a random gate in that galaxy (or maybe the closest) on the local address of the target gate (the other 6 symbols). Because of the galaxy-wide updates that gate would hold the planet drift calculations of the target gate and relay it back to the gate in the MW. So then now the gate in the MW can finally lock onto the target gate in the Pegasus galaxy.

So in this example, the gate network update would only be updating gates within the same galaxy. So, the Avenger 2.0 virus would have been contained in the MW.
              I hope I made sense. If not, it's just a guess anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy_Gate

Perhaps opening a wormhole between stargates in different galaxies might not require planetary drift calculation. Maybe just having the 8th chevron in the address identifying the galaxy would be enough to get a lock.

It could work like this. When a stargate in the MW is dialing into a stargate (target gate) in the Pegasus galaxy, it reads the 8th chevron first. Once it identifies the galaxy, it queries a random gate in that galaxy (or maybe the closest) on the local address of the target gate (the other 6 symbols). Because of the galaxy-wide updates that gate would hold the planet drift calculations of the target gate and relay it back to the gate in the MW. So then now the gate in the MW can finally lock onto the target gate in the Pegasus galaxy.

So in this example, the gate network update would only be updating gates within the same galaxy. So, the Avenger 2.0 virus would have been contained in the MW.
                Well your expl. of it makes sense. The MW gate connects to the Pegasus galaxy and recieves the updates from that galaxy and than can connect to the desired gate in that galaxy, is logical.

And the Atlantis Gate isn't the only one who could receive an incoming wormhole from the MW, it's stated that an outgoing galactic wormhole can only be established from Atlantis as the point of origin.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy_Gate

Thats a damn good explanation, best i`ve heard so far.
                  Prometheus = X-303/BC-303
                  Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev = BC-304/DSC-304

END OF ARGUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nikmi

it didn't affect pegusas b/c the earth gate is the only gate that connects to the altantis gate that we know of, and in avenger 2.0 the gate doesn't have a dhd and futher more if it doesn't do the collerate update then it wouldn't send that info to pegusas and therefore it didn't spread beyond our galaxy!! and besides when they fixed it, if it did get to another galaxy somehow it would have been fixed by the patch update.

Now in use. pps is at 4,929 Terawatts
                    pps = power per second
                    The power that power's the great cities of the Ancients.
                    xfire = zpm
                    [m2k] klan, and forever will be.
                    http://m2kclan.com
                    vent info: voice250.hurricanehost.com
                    port: 3785
                    P90>M4A1+AK47+Machine Gun
                    halo player and cs:s, cs:1.6, cz, cod2.
                    Save Stargate NOW!!!- http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine_nl
                      Well, It could be that the gates in the pegasus galaxy are a bit more advanced than the ones in our galaxy, so the virus might not work, and who says that you can't reach pegasus without extra power from our galaxy, if you would use a gate at the edge of our galaxy, nobody tried it before, maybe you have to use another galaxy that is inbetween to go there, so it's like flying from London to New York, get on another plane and then straight on to Mexico. See where i'm heading? Who says that you have to have a direct connection, why not use other gates as airports the closer you get, the less energy is required to get there, right?
                      just my 2 cents
                      I see it, however there a no galaxies between the Milky Way and Pegasus. Plus I think the extra power is needed to make the 8th chevron.

As for the Pegasus gates getting the Avenger virus. It wouldn't have been affected, if you heard Carter in that episode, one gate dials another gate automatically and sends the update through the wormhole. Our gates would need the ZPM installed to reach the Pegasus galaxy.
                      Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                      Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Working...
                      X