This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPOILER!!! Heroes... Why did they...

(SPOILERS for Season Seven's "Heroes, Part 2" ...)

kill Janet off? I never understood that. I mean, what was the significance of it?
    Last edited by Darren; 28 July 2004, 10:49 PM.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Bill Watterson

One could say it was to show what a noble sacrifice she made in the line of duty. That's the simple explanation
    Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
    more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

They thought it was the last season so they wanted to spice things up by killing off Janet. By the time Season 8 was given the green light, it was, literally, too late to save Janet. I know, it sucks...really sucks.
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

It's sad, yeah, but I kinda like the fact a main character died.

It adds more dramatic stuff to the show.
        C'mon, everytime someone gets hit we say "Nahhh, he/she will be fine again by the end of the episode" - that's one thing I don't like at TV shows - after 44mins everything gets "reset".
        And they made it different in this case, wich is good IMHO.

I think that's also one of the reasons Babylon-5 had hat much success and why the fans loved the show.
        If your fav guy was hit, you really started to worry 'cause you really did not know if he will survive the next two episodes.

Bad and good at once

Comment

They can "always" bring her back via quantum mirror or some other plot device
          Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
          more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

I wouldn't do it.
            And I hope they don't either.

A guest apperance for one episode somehow would be OK, but not permanent....

Comment

It was sad to see her leave the show, but the fact is they had to kill someone off completley and NOT actually ascending them for a change. The show was getting a little too crammed with the Ascension business so I think killing Janet right off took us back to base level.
              __

__

Comment

I think Darren put it best when he wrote here
                Simply put, Stargate needs death. The show's hook is that it portrays fantastic science fiction stories in a real-world, military setting. To keep the show grounded in reality, the S.G.C. and its allies must have casualties. The death of Janet Fraiser may bring tears and anger to the show's loyal viewers, even rally some to petition The Powers That Be for her resurrection (for, as we all know, no one really dies for good in science fiction).

After 1,000 trips through the Stargate, crossing the galaxy to another world is no longer child's play, no longer a hop next door for another exciting adventure. Gate travel is serious, and deadly business. The show's natural dramatic tension has returned to its height, because viewers can no longer watch Stargate's weekly twists and turns secure in the belief that any one character is safe.

Comment

I've never actually read that column. I've just read it and wow, that is a very decent one. Lets see, what more do we have?
                  __

__

Comment

She as one of my favorites! I know Stargate needs death, but why did it have to be so dumb?!?
                    "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

they did something similar in the X-files with the lone gunman

Comment

the story i heard was:

because the renewal was so late, teryl had already lined up other work, she's not a regular, she's paid on a per eps basis (the theory anyway) and if she doesnt' work, she doesn't get paid. she didnt have the luxury or contractural restrictions prohibiting her from looking for new work, so she did.

then they got s7 and theyknew it'd have to be light on the janet in the first place because teryl wouldn't be available.

pdl came up with the idea for heroes last feb, during the gulf war, and thought it would be a good plot point to have someone die, as a bit of a tribute to the real folks that were really dying. janet was the obvious choice since she was well known (thus eliminating the emotinless red shirt death) and since teryl already had another job, it wasn't like he was cutting her off from her income.

unfortunately, it was leaked and became the best kept secret next to daniel's 'death'.

by the time they got word for s8, her demise was too well known for them to get out of (and i woudl have lost all respect if they had anyway) and so janet died.

it was nothing personal, just a series of events that would have been a great emotional ending, had skiffy not given them 20 more eps to deal with
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jafana
                          I think Darren put it best when he wrote here
                          Simply put, Stargate needs death. The show's hook is that it portrays fantastic science fiction stories in a real-world, military setting. To keep the show grounded in reality, the S.G.C. and its allies must have casualties. The death of Janet Fraiser may bring tears and anger to the show's loyal viewers, even rally some to petition The Powers That Be for her resurrection (for, as we all know, no one really dies for good in science fiction).

After 1,000 trips through the Stargate, crossing the galaxy to another world is no longer child's play, no longer a hop next door for another exciting adventure. Gate travel is serious, and deadly business. The show's natural dramatic tension has returned to its height, because viewers can no longer watch Stargate's weekly twists and turns secure in the belief that any one character is safe.
                          I think we can still watch secure in the belief that no member of SG-1 will die, which is what a good deal of us really care about. Janet's death really didn't do that much for me.
                          Note my small and unobtrusive signature.
                          You can bet I'm not compensating for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by the_red_chimp
                            I think we can still watch secure in the belief that no member of SG-1 will die, which is what a good deal of us really care about. Janet's death really didn't do that much for me.
                            They could die at the end of the last season. The Goa'uld don't HAVE to lose.

EDIT: It could be a good setup for Atlantis to be on its own. If Sg-1 dies we don't have to wonder where everybody is once Atlantis (hopefully) gets back to Earth. There won't be any "Why isn't Sam helping Mckay with this?"

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478
                              They could die at the end of the last season. The Goa'uld don't HAVE to lose.

EDIT: It could be a good setup for Atlantis to be on its own. If Sg-1 dies we don't have to wonder where everybody is once Atlantis (hopefully) gets back to Earth. There won't be any "Why isn't Sam helping Mckay with this?"
                              No smart produce ever completely closes the door on something as wildy successful as SG-1.
                              Note my small and unobtrusive signature.
                              You can bet I'm not compensating for anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X