Ion Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ion Drive

Any news on the Ion Drive we got to study in 'Space Race' ?

Yeah, it fell in here:

Comment

If they do reverse engineer some ion drives they need to go on the 302's. I dont think that'll happen because TPTB have probally forgotten about all the old story arcs and are focusing on creating new ones or continuing 1 year old story arcs.

Best Stargate quote:
      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
      Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
        Yeah, it fell in here:

wut is that black hole?
        Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
        Anime signature in spoiler tag
        Spoiler:
        Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888
          wut is that black hole?
          The the famous 'Plot Hole'

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
            If they do reverse engineer some ion drives they need to go on the 302's. I dont think that'll happen because TPTB have probally forgotten about all the old story arcs and are focusing on creating new ones or continuing 1 year old story arcs.
            I don't think F-302 is big enough to have one of them yet, Remember in S6"Forasken" Sam said :"They use liquid nitrogen to fuel an ion propulsion system."
            Not only the ion drive , but the fuel tank of liquid nitrogen may be be too much for the 302 to carry. unless some other part of the 302 get replace by them.
            There is already too many engine on the 302
            The Air-breathing jet engine,The areo-spike engine ,the rocket booster, the hyperdrive (they can only use it for short distance) .
            And we still havn't fully reverse engineer the Glider propulsion , the 302's iertia dampener is not as efficient as the Glider, Jack said something about some small G-force on the 302 and the Glider doesn't have any of those other engine , and yet it fly in space and in the air.

And the Alien from space Race use their ion-drive on bigger cargo ships , the engine Sam use to study was one of those on their cargo ship. it would take some time just to create the same size engine ,it would take longer to make it smaller.

I think they should put the ion drive on the 303, or 304 .

Comment

wht does the 304's use then ????

Comment

The 304's probably have some kind of nuclear propulsion. There's lots of theories and concepts about nuclear based propulsion technologies for space craft use. The real life Prometheus program used to be involved in developing them, but it was cut way back last year. Some of the concepts are thought to be superior to ion drive propulsion.

Reverse engineering a hebridan ion drive may not be that difficult. Ion drive tech is something we already had, just not anywere near as effecient or powerfull. Having experience with the technology already would help alot.

Comment

didnt you c the back of the ships i does not look like a fricken flame is coming out...so common sence tells me that tey got ion drive...
                  Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
                  Anime signature in spoiler tag
                  Spoiler:
                  Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by cooky
                    The 304's probably have some kind of nuclear propulsion. There's lots of theories and concepts about nuclear based propulsion technologies for space craft use. The real life Prometheus program used to be involved in developing them, but it was cut way back last year. Some of the concepts are thought to be superior to ion drive propulsion.

Reverse engineering a hebridan ion drive may not be that difficult. Ion drive tech is something we already had, just not anywere near as effecient or powerfull. Having experience with the technology already would help alot.
                    Interestingly, the Daedalus program ALSO involved developing nuclear propulsion.

Here's a picture of an ion drive in action for those so interested.

Comment

seems not to use massive amounts of power because a single naquadah generator can recharge the ship, which includes other stuff and a shield. oh yah the hebridian ships use batteries.
                      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Real life ion drives would only really work in space, they produce very little thrust, probably not enough to lift a few pieces of paper into the air...

Comment

Not even that.

Linky
                          Originally posted by NASA
                          Now the ion engines use only a very small amount of xenon at a time. That means that the thrust is very very low. If you rest a piece of paper on your hand, the paper pushes on your hand about as hard as the ion engine pushes on the spacecraft! It may take 4 days or more just to use up 1 kilogram (about 2 pounds) of xenon. Unlike chemical engines, which can be operated for minutes, or in extreme cases, for an hour or so, ion engines can be operated for years. The effect of the gentle thrust slowly builds up, eventually attaining speeds far beyond the reach of conventional propellants.

Comment

They should be close to making an Ion propulsion engine. remember Warrick gave Carter a book in her language showing her all the specs of the ceberus. That alone would have given us a huge start.

Comment

Spoiler:
                              at least we dont have to give it back now hebridan has fallen to the ori

they should be using the ion tech to develop short range transport ships/fighters for use in our solar system .

Comment

Working...
                              X