SG vs. ST tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG vs. ST tech

I was thinking, Star Trek technology (we're talking TNG/DS9/Voyager level tech, not Kirk/Archer) appears to be on the same level as Goa'uld tech: FTL/Warp drive, impulse drive, transporter tech, and laser/phaser tech. Do you think Goa'uld tech is equal to ST tech, or less advanced or more advanced?

ST vs. Asgard tech? Included in the ST is not just UFP, but Klingons, Cardassians, Romulans, and Borg.

Borg vs. Asgard?

Wraith vs. Borg?

Ah, I think the Asgard are much more advanced in a lot of medical techs. Also, the Asgard can travel much faster. In ST, they can only go up to warp 9 because there's some issue with the fabric of space. Something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
      Ah, I think the Asgard are much more advanced in a lot of medical techs. Also, the Asgard can travel much faster. In ST, they can only go up to warp 9 because there's some issue with the fabric of space. Something like that.
      Do you know the rough equivalent (warp 5, 6, 9, etc.) of goa'uld hyperspeed/FTL? Wraith? Asgard?

Comment

No, but when Thor went from picking up the Prometheus to Earth that was very fast. ST usually takes a while, no?

Comment

Asgard vessels can jump between galaxies in about an hour, I'm willing to bet.
          sigpic

Comment

Star Trek has one advantage over the Stargate Universe. They have the most advanced piece of technology known to sci-fi. The deflector.

Routing power through the deflector bends the fabric of space time, allowing any scientific impossiblity to occur in a usually blue or green beam of light.

Not only can the deflector be used to make your shields work at 200% efficiency, and create weapons that can defeat a dozen vessels of superior military standing, but it makes a killer potato salad.

If the asgard had a deflector, they would have solved their cloning problems years ago.
            sigpic

Comment

EH? Deflector?

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                EH? Deflector?
                hmmm, no clue about the deflector...:\

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                  The magical blue thing in front of any federation ship? You know, it's always the thing that they end up 'routing power through' in order to solve any problem....
                  sigpic

Comment

As far as FTL technology on ships go I think the Asgard are king, hands down. They could cut clear across the galaxy in a matter of seconds. The reason why it took hours bringing the Promethus to their home galaxy is because they were towing the it. I'm willing to bet the Promethus was slowing down the whole thing with a weaker hull or the tractor beam taking up power from the hyperdrive or both even. The Borg and the Gouald are petty much the same in terms of FTL. They both have transwarp/hyperdrive capabilities for effective interstellar travel across thousands of light years in a matter of hours. Starfleet in the late 24th century would require a year to travel 1,000 light years at warp 9.975 (forgot if rest stops were included or not).

Romulan/Klingon cloaking tech and Gouald cloaking tech is petty much the same I guess. They can both conceal a ship from sensors and the naked eye. But if a cloaked ship were to enter the atmosphere, Romulan/Klingon/Gouald, it would be revealed thru disturbances in the air.

Transporter tech, I think the Asgard and the Voth from "Voyager: Distant Origins" could be equals. They can both transport entire starships from point a to point b. The Asgard was able to beam away entire pyramid ships from a planet's surface while the Voth beamed Voyager into its holding bay. The rings and the transporters from the other races don't seem nearly as advanced.

Replicator tech Asgard and Starfleet are pretty even. I think Starfleet replicators can make pretty much anything if the patterns are provided and the safeties are removed.
                    Last edited by SP90; 24 October 2004, 10:31 PM.

Comment

I don't think you can really compare. Despite the fact that they spend so much time writing technical manuals and explaining the way the technology works, the Trek PTB don't really care about consistency. Mio is right. They do decide to use the deflector for almost anything.

The Stargate technology is more internally consistant, I think because the SG PTB resort to using technology as a story crutch a lot less often.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                        Star Trek has one advantage over the Stargate Universe. They have the most advanced piece of technology known to sci-fi. The deflector.

Routing power through the deflector bends the fabric of space time, allowing any scientific impossiblity to occur in a usually blue or green beam of light.

Not only can the deflector be used to make your shields work at 200% efficiency, and create weapons that can defeat a dozen vessels of superior military standing, but it makes a killer potato salad.

If the asgard had a deflector, they would have solved their cloning problems years ago.
                        Oh good grief mio.........
                        sigpic
                        Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
                        "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

The Asgard didn't transport that piramid, if it's the ep I think you are referring to. I don't know what they did, but it wasn't a transporter.
                          Non Fui, Fui, Non Sum, Non Curo

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis

nuff said

Comment

Originally posted by Xenan
                              The Asgard didn't transport that piramid, if it's the ep I think you are referring to. I don't know what they did, but it wasn't a transporter.
                              Yes, they were transporting it piece by piece. They probably converted it to energy, and just didn't rematerialize it.

Originally posted by ibwolf

nuff said

<wipes a tear> Oh how I love Sev Trek
                              Last edited by Mio; 27 October 2004, 12:07 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X